• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

novenD

Holy crap, the synchronized goat hug and 2.2 million mark being reached. The crowd was just losing it, I WAS LOSING IT

What an event this year

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
That was the best overall GDQ yet I think. Ending it with the Sans fight was the cherry on top

Part of me thinks it might be time to expand to three events a year given the money they are pulling in, but maybe it'd be too logistically tough.

Make it too often and it'll lose it's audience. There are other events (like ega) to fill in the gaps.

Technical issues aside, it was a pretty good year... They need to have someone manning the audio controls every run though... The mixing was all over the place.

Permanently A

Make it too often and it'll lose it's audience. There are other events (like ega) to fill in the gaps.

Technical issues aside, it was a pretty good year... They need to have someone manning the audio controls every run though... The mixing was all over the place.

The Furi audio being so low really sucked.

It's crazy that the last day made more money then the rest of the week combined... I thought it was only on par to beat the record, not shatter it.

TUSR

Banned
░░░████▌█████▌█░████████▐▀██▀
░▄█████░█████▌░█░▀██████▌█▄▄▀▄
░▌███▌█░▐███▌▌░░▄▄░▌█▌███▐███░▀
▐░▐██░░▄▄▐▀█░░░▐▄█▀▌█▐███▐█
░░███░▌▄█▌░░▀░░▀██░░▀██████▌
░░░▀█▀██▀░▄░░░░░░░░░███▐███
░░░░██▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐███████
░░░░███░░░░░▀█▀░░░░░▐██▐███▀
░░░░▌█▌█▄░░░░░░░░░▄▄████▀░▀
░░░░░░█▀██▄▄▄░▄▄▀▀▒█▀█░

Awesome ... time to find some VODs....

Best place will be their YouTube channel which shady has most of the last 6 days. Just don't subscribe because they'll flood your in box the next week as they replace the stream virus captures with higher quality ones.

Jhoan

That felt a bit anti-climatic but hey they broke the record. I have a bunch of runs I missed that I want to see. I have a huge amount of respect for the speed running community and got curious about looking up the world records of a bunch of games I enjoyed. I was surprised by I what saw since many of the runners were ranked number one or close to it.

And talk about diversity! It's amazing how people come from different backgrounds and walks of life. It's a passionate community. TheMexicanRunner looks like a pretty cool guy so I'll look out for his stuff in the future. It was great to see some Latino speed runners on a big event.

2.2 million! And man, I figured Undertale would be a fun finale but I didn't expect it to be that awesome.

Looking forward to July!

(and still hoping they have one of these near Chicago someday)

BasicMath

Ha this poor dude just had the whole of twitch dumped into his lap.
I missed that. Left right after they went offline and was saddened by the fact that they didn't host anyone. Glad they did eventually.
It's a possible issue, but I think they could do with one more event and still be fine on that regard.
There's a lot of issues with that. It requires people to volunteer, runners to do their thing as well as an endless stream of speed tech to keep some runs fresh every year. It getting stale is a huge issue and can't be stated enough though. As is, they're already digging deep for runs/runners/commentators as well as rotating categories/series/games to keep things fresh and some people ARE starting to find some runs to be boring and/or repetitive.
I miss being able to look forward to a bonus stream.
I miss it so very much. Every time someone mentions it, I'm reminded of: Warning: Very Loud Near End
Pretty sure I mention it last SGDQ too.

Toad.T

Banned
This GDQ was great. There's the standard hate spitle and LE DANK STREAMER MAYH MAYHS in the chat, plus the previously mentioned shiftiness with the charity, but by now it's to be expected. It's a big streaming event that isn't an traditional eSport, it's bound to be this way.

I prefer the summer versions more, mostly because the charity involved has a less shaky reputation. But the runs themselves are great either way.

Top Bottom