• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Third Strike Review!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Xbox port incoming!
Xbox port incoming!

And don't forget the Reload XX##!!!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Can it really be called "dated" if the genre hasn't made any real progress since then?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Dice said:
Can it really be called "dated" if the genre hasn't made any real progress since then?

I suspect "dated" here might be video game reviewer codeslang for "failure to demonstrate bleeding edge graphic technology".

Which, actually, in terms of artistic style, animation quality, and character design, SFIII: 3rd Strike could IMHO be considered on the bleeding frickin' edge after five years. However, it's not 3D with Super Wang Shadow Shaders (tm) like Doom 3, so it doesn't really count.

MrAngryFace said:
its a funny review, cause I bet he thinks he's hot fighting game master shit.

Does the collision system work well? Yep, I managed to hit Elena with Yun's spinning hat taunt, where the hat barely grazed her face.

My favorite part?

The new characters defiantly make Street Fighter 3: Third Strike a fighter where every can find their own character.

You see, he could have used "definitely", but "defiantly" since it works just as well. He's that good.

BenT

Just doing my part to try to contain the spread of misinformation.

Edit: And it's not just the sprites, it's everything. ;)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sai said:
I thought it was an absolute perfect arcade port. What's wrong with the visuals?

The engine doesn't employ Super Wang Shading (TM) - that's what is wrong with it.

BenT

Sai said:
I thought it was an absolute perfect arcade port. What's wrong with the visuals?
Just the typical problem for this gen -- they took a low-res 2D game and line-doubled and interlaced it (ie, it now runs in 640x480), so it looks chunkier and has some "rippling" artifacts when things move. The PS2 version adds an optional blur filter too, which is on by default.

BenT

Mainly a Samsung TXN2775HF via component. Given the image "enhancement" crap HDTVs do to interlaced signals, it's not ideal for non-progressive 2D games. Any image artifacting I mention here is not a result of this TV, though. It's the same old stuff you see in almost every recent 2D game, for whatever reason.

manji

MrAngryFace said:
This guy knows his fighters!

...was Twelve really an alien? Thought he was a newer version of Necro, involved in the same experiments or something...

.oO(and yeah, he definitely used a pad when he played...)

-m

Ferrio

Banned
manji said:
...was Twelve really an alien? Thought he was a newer version of Necro, involved in the same experiments or something...

.oO(and yeah, he definitely used a pad when he played...)

-m

You're right, he wrong.

ne new feature in the SF series is allowing players to press one, two or three buttons to boost a special move's damage for the cost of some of their super meter. Imagine the possibilities, you can shoot a slow fireball (light punch) then follow up with a three kick hurricane kick to do some serious damage. This system encourages players to perfect and master a few moves rather than memorize a large set of moves players rarely use.

haha.

---------------------------------------
Quote:
ne new feature in the SF series is allowing players to press one, two or three buttons to boost a special move's damage for the cost of some of their super meter. Imagine the possibilities, you can shoot a slow fireball (light punch) then follow up with a three kick hurricane kick to do some serious damage. This system encourages players to perfect and master a few moves rather than memorize a large set of moves players rarely use.

---------------------------------------

Wow, that got me lolling.

What are these 3 button special moves? Was he playing MvC instead? Lucky I won't have to master Aegis now, I'll be fine with just Urien's tackle and headbutt, since the game suggests I use as few moves as possible.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BenT said:
Mainly a Samsung TXN2775HF via component. Given the image "enhancement" crap HDTVs do to interlaced signals, it's not ideal for non-progressive 2D games. Any image artifacting I mention here is not a result of this TV, though. It's the same old stuff you see in almost every recent 2D game, for whatever reason.

On some TVs, with the filter on, the game is still super sharp and no longer has the interlacing flicker and artifacting. The two TVs I have had the best success with are Sony WEGA 27 inch and Panasonic TAU 32 inch, both with component, filter on, TV settings with VSM turned off, color temp normal, and minor adjustment to sharpness, contrast, and color temp settings.

Edit: Both of these TVs are the non HD versions. I have not tested this game on an HD TV yet.

Top Bottom