• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awww shit. RE4 (2005) HD Remaster has me by the short and curlies again...

Deerock71

Don't get me wrong; I've owned this since the original launched day 1 on the GameCube, and pretty much every iteration on almost all consoles since then. I must've played it on the Cube 20 times, because EVERYONE, and I mean:
everyone GIF

understands the glory Shinji fuggin' Mikami-san built into this masterpiece with the GLORY of re-starting the game with all your glorious weapons AT. THE. START. of the vanilla game. This is yet again a MASTERSTROKE of single player pacing in a game.

I might plough through it again to experience dominance instead of fear.

Steam Deck OLED rocks the casbah.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Don't get me wrong; I've owned this since the original launched day 1 on the GameCube, and pretty much every iteration on almost all consoles since then. I must've played it on the Cube 20 times, because EVERYONE, and I mean:
everyone GIF

understands the glory Shinji fuggin' Mikami-san built into this masterpiece with the GLORY of re-starting the game with all your glorious weapons AT. THE. START. of the vanilla game. This is yet again a MASTERSTROKE of single player pacing in a game.

How you enjoying your Steamdeck OLED? 👀

Vick

Gold Member
everyone GIF

Install the RE4 HD Project Mod immediately for a fresher and immortal experience.

And yes, RE4 OG is a perfect videogame. My most replayed game of all time.

And much better than its Remake.

tumblr_nlnlak3PAg1qz9wlpo1_500.gifv

nikos

I remember playing the original until the point where you got to shoot a gun, but couldn’t move while doing it, and never touched it again.

kevboard

And much better than its Remake.

tumblr_nlnlak3PAg1qz9wlpo1_500.gifv

this should not be a controversial take. it's way better, has way better controls, and is infinitely more replayable.

well, better controls on GC and PS2. not so much in the HD versions as they fucked up the deadzones beyond believe... how they did that is still a mystery to me. but I almost bet there's a mod for that to fix it on PC... although I don't know

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Mebbe I'll try them all.
animal planet dog GIF by Puppy Bowl
I like them all, but I agree with NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt
The originals have a charm that the remakes fail to capture, plus we played those first, so that first, GOOD impression I got is everlasting. Hard to recapture. Same with say? Silent Hill 2. I am hyped to play the Remake, but I don't think it will recapture what made the original special. ON that note, Bloober making much more of Silent Hill 2 explorable is a step in the right direction at improving the game, among other decisions.

kevboard

I want Steam Deck OLED 2. I am at a point in my life where I don't mind stepping away from the Beast to enjoy some bedtime gaming before knocking out like a UFC fighter.

if an OLED screen isn't important for you, just get a Rog Ally X. I think people are really overly dramatic about how much easier it is to use a Steam Deck over a Windows Handheld.
I have a Steam Deck OLED, and I love it. but I also used the ROG Ally of a friend a few times, and opening steam in big picture mode after booting isn't much of an issue I'd say.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I can't stand the remake of the original. Only good thing about it is the underground aquarium. Everything else was made worse than original. I enjoy both versions of RE4 on the other hand.

Tell you the truth I played most of them for the first time two to three years ago. So for me that was the first time playing the first Resident Evil. I love the Remake and even on easy mode, the game had its tough moments. What I love about the game was the gameplay, graphics, sound etc.

Also it's one of the best games I seen that comes from the GameCube that has aged beautifully. Really showcased what GameCube could do graphically. The characters, enemies and bosses are look fantastic still. The HD Remaster just makes everything look prettier. Also that's when I started to play more horror games too. I haven't played Resident Evil Code Veronica and Resident Evil 5 yet

Deerock71

I like them all, but I agree with NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt
The originals have a charm that the remakes fail to capture, plus we played those first, so that first, GOOD impression I got is everlasting. Hard to recapture. Same with say? Silent Hill 2. I am hyped to play the Remake, but I don't think it will recapture what made the original special. ON that note, Bloober making much more of Silent Hill 2 explorable is a step in the right direction at improving the game, among other decisions.
I agree, it's the odd, eccentric charm that's propelling me to continue at all the right times. I have just now stumbled upon my first encounter with the ambigouously odd merchant. This is, of course, right before you get to off some tainted citizens from a safe distance. Those two breathers coinciding make for such a refreshing change of pace.

the addition of the 180° turn alone makes the remake superior 🧐
I already have that in the modded PC version of RE1. :messenger_beaming:
Tell you the truth I played most of them for the first time two to three years ago. So for me that was the first time playing the first Resident Evil. I love the Remake and even on easy mode, the game had its tough moments. What I love about the game was the gameplay, graphics, sound etc.

Also it's one of the best games I seen that comes from the GameCube that has aged beautifully. Really showcased what GameCube could do graphically. The characters, enemies and bosses are look fantastic still. The HD Remaster just makes everything look prettier. Also that's when I started to play more horror games too. I haven't played Resident Evil Code Veronica and Resident Evil 5 yet
It is good that it got you into the franchise but it has some convoluted systems, extra padding, and flat presentation relative to goofy original.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm the only person in the world who thinks RE4 is overrated.

Or rather, I don't think it holds up that well, I was as impressed as anyone in 2005, but both times I replayed it in 2014 and 2021, especially that last time, I honestly was not that impressed.

The opening hours of the game are strong, but by the time you get to the castle it starts to become tedious mowing down wave after wave of enemy, I remember when a single zombie in REmake could make you crap your pants, here they're all so much canon fodder, by the time of the island I was bored.

The game's style is fun, the one liners and Leon's characterization in general is fun, but I honestly like the old games a lot more.

Deerock71

Or rather, I don't think it holds up that well, I was as impressed as anyone in 2005, but both times I replayed it in 2014 and 2021, especially that last time, I honestly was not that impressed.

The opening hours of the game are strong, but by the time you get to the castle it starts to become tedious mowing down wave after wave of enemy, I remember when a single zombie in REmake could make you crap your pants, here they're all so much canon fodder, by the time of the island I was bored.

The game's style is fun, the one liners and Leon's characterization in general is fun, but I honestly like the old games a lot more.
Shocked Gary Coleman GIF by absurdnoise

Different strokes for different folks.

The original RE4 has a weak last half, but Striker glitch can help skip a lot of it. Using the Ashley cheat by the trash chute on the island can also save half an hour. Even the wrecking ball room can be cheesed with unarmed (eggless) ashley target glitch. Unfortunately the water room and truck ride are still a pain and the game never reaches the heights of the village experience.

P.S. In the original games I was removing multiple heads with an upward shotgun blast most of the time. Healing items a plenty.

Last edited:

Deerock71

The original RE4 has a weak last half, but Striker glitch can help skip a lot of it.
I actually don't even agree with this. I think the pace picked up along with the sheer terror in the second half. It's been so long since I've played it, I forget what the spiky zombies are called, but those might have been the scariest encounters in the game (excluding boss encounters). I'm still dreading the boss encounter where the individual morphs into a centipede-looking mother-fucker.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I already have that in the modded PC version of RE1. :messenger_beaming:

It is good that it got you into the franchise but it has some convoluted systems, extra padding, and flat presentation relative to goofy original.

That's fair

But yeah my previous horror games I played before the RE games are Eternal Darkness, The Last of Us Remastered and Little Nightmare games

I'm looking to play more games in that genre in the future specifically Silent Hill games

I actually don't even agree with this. I think the pace picked up along with the sheer terror in the second half. It's been so long since I've played it, I forget what the spiky zombies are called, but those might have been the scariest encounters in the game (excluding boss encounters). I'm still dreading the boss encounter where the individual morphs into a centipede-looking mother-fucker.
The iron maidens were easy pickings for my grenade stash. Boss version of U3 was tedious in the way I would have to run circles to safely line up a head shot with my magnum or an explosive barrel shot with my handgun. The stalker version would take a hike after a few shotgun shells if I was cornered.

darrylgorn

half baked boo GIF

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
The iron maidens were easy pickings for my grenade stash. Boss version of U3 was tedious in the way I would have to run circles to safely line up a head shot with my magnum or an explosive barrel shot with my handgun. The stalker version would take a hike after a few shotgun shells if I was cornered.

Those Iron Maidens had such a cool design though. Very Heavy Metal

jZsWapW.gif

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I replayed RE 1-3 thanks to the GOG re-releases that came out over the last few months and now I really want to revisit 4. I don't think I've played it since my first go-round with the Wii version, and that was... what, 2007?

Top Bottom