• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awww shit. RE4 (2005) HD Remaster has me by the short and curlies again...

RaduN

I played Re4 back then a few times (ps2), then a couple of years ago (GC). I played the remake a couple of times and then went back to the original (GC).
I don't think there's even a single thing that i like in the remake more than the original.
The level design, pacing, the moment to moment gameplay, the bosses, the cutscene direction, the motion capture quality (i mean wtf did they do here? the remake doesn't even use mo-cap in the cutscenes😳), the humour, the characters...hell even the way Leon moves around, all are way superior in the original.

This wanna-be-serious emo story doesn't work at all. The original knew exactly what it wanted to be, a cheesy 90s B movie, with a ton of charm and insane production values.

ElFenomeno

Played the game back in the 2000s , PC release.
Had a cheap 5$ Chinese controller and the game had more inputs than the buttons on the controller. So I assigned some of them to the keyboard. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
The game blew me away.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I do recall having issues with controller deadzone, but other than that I remember it being a pretty solid port.
Controller deadzone AND most notably, you can't run (analog forward + X) AND pick up items at the same time (square).

As an old RE4 competetive player, this broke the game entirely since you have to run and stop running in order to pick up items. Completely broken

I'm sure im in the minority but I think the og is ageing better than the remake already. I see some clips from the remake and it takes a second to register whether its the new or old (location depending, the beginning is impressive in remake, other spots not so much)

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
if an OLED screen isn't important for you, just get a Rog Ally X. I think people are really overly dramatic about how much easier it is to use a Steam Deck over a Windows Handheld.
I have a Steam Deck OLED, and I love it. but I also used the ROG Ally of a friend a few times, and opening steam in big picture mode after booting isn't much of an issue I'd say.

At this point might as well wait for the next gen with the Z2 chips. Performance will be much better and they should start dropping early next year. I plan on getting one. Although open box prices on the z1 extreme allies have been dipping pretty lowZ

Soodanim

Using the Ashley cheat by the trash chute on the island can also save half an hour. Even the wrecking ball room can be cheesed with unarmed (eggless) ashley target glitch.
I've been racking my brains trying to think what these skips are, I thought I knew of pretty much everything there is to know about OG4

Deerock71

I'm sure im in the minority but I think the og is ageing better than the remake already. I see some clips from the remake and it takes a second to register whether its the new or old (location depending, the beginning is impressive in remake, other spots not so much)
This one's not ugly. I'm about to take on the lake monster. Thinking about shooting the water for old time's sake.
norm GIF

tkscz

dogging onthe remake is deplorable fuck u bithces
Not going to say the remake is bad. Far from it, it's a great game. But I do enjoy the level design of the original among other aspects.

I feel the way they stretched out part of the remake was just to add unnecessary fetch quest like missions or adding more areas to explore in a way that stretches the level. Especially during the village section.

And too many areas with enemies that never stop spawning.

NinjaBoiX

There's a superior vr version available...also a far superior modern version available relatively cheap...and an even more superior vr version of the modern version lol
The VR version is too much of a faff to play, having to reach all around your body just to reload is annoying.

Very immersive but I’d just rather press X thanks.

I played about an hour in VR before quitting out to boot it up vanilla. 🤷🏼‍♂️

chakadave

Neo Member
I loved the original on the Cube. I played it a bunch. I remember getting the Wii version and also loving that. I think I played it a few times.

more recently bought the Switch version and idk what it is but I can't get over the controls. I didn't mind them at all in the Cube game. But now I have issues. Not sure what it is. or if I just am not picking the right control style.

Dafegamer

Don't get me wrong; I've owned this since the original launched day 1 on the GameCube, and pretty much every iteration on almost all consoles since then. I must've played it on the Cube 20 times, because EVERYONE, and I mean:
everyone GIF

understands the glory Shinji fuggin' Mikami-san built into this masterpiece with the GLORY of re-starting the game with all your glorious weapons AT. THE. START. of the vanilla game. This is yet again a MASTERSTROKE of single player pacing in a game.

I might plough through it again to experience dominance instead of fear.

Steam Deck OLED rocks the casbah.
I played the HD version last year due to PS+ and the game still holds up incredibly well. Absolute masterpiece of a Game 👏

nkarafo

I will get some flack for this but i never really cared that much about it. I always preferred REmake.

It's also too action/y. I dislike how it often locks you/forces you into certain situations like a bunch of "panic mode" segments just to spice things up or something. I get it, panic is something you need to experience in a horror game once or twice. But locking you into a cage where there is no room to move while struggling with the tank controls, with a bunch of high level mobs dropping just behind you is just annoying, not scary. And all those annoying QTEs... Yeah, the game does use a lot of those. There is one long cut scene in the game that has, what, 8 different QTE moments? And if you miss one you have to watch it all over again. Which i did a few times because, apparently, playing it on PC at 60fps messes up the timing and makes it harder.

I wanted to play a Resident Evil game, not Dragon's Lair.

Having said that, the HD project mod for this game is godlike. Possibly the best mod in any game ever, after Silent Hill Enhanced Edition.

Puscifer

Capcom allowed re4 to be more action oriented than re 1-3 combined, just saying.
And the director said himself he wanted to change the direction of the series. In many ways it's still RE, the world's interconnected and changes and eventually becomes a linear dash to the boss fight, something common in the first 2 games. Just from a different perspective: and you still could run out of ammo often if you aren't careful. RE 5 and 6 though? Definitely shit the bed

Dafegamer

I will get some flack for this but i never really cared that much about it. I always preferred REmake.

It's also too action/y. I dislike how it often locks you/forces you into certain situations like a bunch of "panic mode" segments just to spice things up or something. I get it, panic is something you need to experience in a horror game once or twice. But locking you into a cage where there is no room to move while struggling with the tank controls, with a bunch of high level mobs dropping just behind you is just annoying, not scary. And all those annoying QTEs... Yeah, the game does use a lot of those. There is one long cut scene in the game that has, what, 8 different QTE moments? And if you miss one you have to watch it all over again. Which i did a few times because, apparently, playing it on PC at 60fps messes up the timing and makes it harder.

I wanted to play a Resident Evil game, not Dragon's Lair.

Having said that, the HD project mod for this game is godlike. Possibly the best mod in any game ever, after Silent Hill Enhanced Edition.
The original is definitely more arcade-y if that makes sense. The new one is slower paced, but also more Survival Horror-ish. Can't go wrong with both games tho.

Soodanim

4 is one of the best games ever made, and the HD mod makes it even better.

4R is fine, but I found myself modding out some of the annoying stuff like how it zooms in when you aim, and after the first run I gave myself all the charms because life is too short to play a terrible randomised thing that could easily never give you the items you don't have. I also gave myself auto saves on Pro, because the number of cheap deaths I experienced was a pain in the arse.

I also agree with whoever said the reimagining won't age as well. I'm already done with it forever, but I'll be returning to 4 forever. The only thing 4R has that could draw me back is a fun Mercs mode, but those characters are wasted and it's criminal that the second time round Capcom still don't let you run through the main game with them (thank you mods).

The Saint

I do not know how to explain it, but the original Resident Evil game is the only one that I consider to be hard. On a non-new game plus run I spend the entire game in the danger status no matter how well I move around during encounters or how well I manage my inventory. It makes me feel like a bad player.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Too many haters in this thread. The Remake is glorious.

I love both the OG and the remake.

I prefer the gameplay in the Remake but the overall story/characters in the OG.

The OG is glorious.

The Remake is glorious.

RE4 in an incredible game no matter how you play it, even the watered down PS2 port was incredible.

cireza

Legendary game, but I will rather try out the Remake (for my next playthrough) when there will be a sale at 30- $ one of these days. I like RE, but not to the point of paying full price for it.

Last edited:

Closer

I always wanted to play the Wii version
It's the best version IMO. The IR Aiming is really good and makes the game faster (also easier), but you can play with the standard GC Controller for a more traditional gameplay. It has GC graphics with all PS2 extras. You can put it on Dolphin to have an even better experience, if you don't quite like the output of the Wii presentation.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Wii Edition. Original controls and cheap ass IR Aiming. Best of every world. Cheers.
Wii version you just point a cursor at a screen with a funny-looking remote. Quest version you point an actual gun with your own hands.
The VR version is too much of a faff to play, having to reach all around your body just to reload is annoying.

Very immersive but I’d just rather press X thanks.

I played about an hour in VR before quitting out to boot it up vanilla. 🤷🏼‍♂️
What!? That's one of the things which makes it more fun, kind of like being an action movie actor, I love how much more involving the gun mechanics are than just pushing a button.

I felt like that time when Ocelot went from the Makarov to the Colt Single Action Army in Metal Gear Solid 3.
8349534-ocelotgearsingleactionarmy%283%29.gif

Last edited:
I beaten it at 100% on Steam last year. It's one of those rare games where it does a great job of holding your interest until the very end. Many games fail to hold my interest after a certain time, but not with RE4. It's so well made in that regard.

Wonko_C

Tell me about the actual gun controller you have, else it's gonna be a funny-looking remote controller.
That's the magic of VR. When inside you're not looking at your controller, you're looking at a gun/knife/shotgun/etc. You can even dual-wield or use the knife on one hand and the pistol in the other.

Last edited:
I played through the first 5 RE games a while back - the originals except for the HD version of 4 - most of them for the first time. Some of the best video game art ever made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom