• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Latest Episode:
Episode 29: The Music of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

Greg Sewart joins Kevin to discuss the music of the Sega Genesis and the Mega Drive. We also read some stories and listen to favorite tracks from the audience.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Definitely check out the episode and the book if you haven't!

For those who have read the book, what do you think? Is Sega the good guy? Is Nintendo's handling of the Somy/Philips situation hilarious? Is the SNES just plain awesome no matter what?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Console Wars episode was great. Between that and plowing through that massive book in like 4 or 5 days, it's been an interesting week.

RkOwnage

Stopped in some retro game stores in Daytona Beach and Jacksonville on my way home from a weekend getaway, and grabbed these to build up that N64 collection!

0HvE88Al.jpg

They had Paperboy 64, and I almost grabbed it, but the label was destroyed and my OCD wouldn't let me....It'll be mine soon.

The topic about Replay Value being dead that popped up today reminded me of your podcast and a discussion that has popped up on the show occasionally. As I said in the topic, there's simply too many games available to play EVERY ONE that looks interesting in your lifetime. Especially when you factor in the Indy scene that's been blowing up, not to mention other media consumption, hobbies, and, of course, RL.

So rather than chase that always moving goal post, I think it's better to just play what you want when you want to and just enjoy what you're doing. If that does involve going back to old games and giving them a replay, then that's awesome. I know for me I rarely replay games immediately after because the last experience was fresh and I'd rather it not overstay it's welcome, but if a game is especially good, there's a good chance that in a few years I'll find myself wanting to revisit it.

I've enjoyed listening to your podcast, guys. Despite much of the stuff that you guys play not being things that I usually gravitate to myself (I'm a mid-20s guy who mostly plays JRPGs with a sprinkling of other Japanese or Indie stuff), it's refreshing hearing you guys talk about experiences that you shared with a game, along with your thoughts on current stuff. And the interviews with different "in the know" guests have been really interesting too. As a personal opinion, keep trying to strike a balance between the two styles of show if it's feasible.

Keep on trucking with what you do, Kevin and Josh. You definitely have a listener here, and you've even turned me on to a few games that I normally never would have tried. (Shockingly, Milon's Secret Castle is one of them. I'm not sure if I love or hate Johnathan Metts for his infectious gushing about his childhood game making me get into that interesting yet frustrating wonder of a game, especially as a fan of Metroidvanias)

The topic about Replay Value being dead that popped up today reminded me of your podcast and a discussion that has popped up on the show occasionally. As I said in the topic, there's simply too many games available to play EVERY ONE that looks interesting in your lifetime. Especially when you factor in the Indy scene that's been blowing up, not to mention other media consumption, hobbies, and, of course, RL.

So rather than chase that always moving goal post, I think it's better to just play what you want when you want to and just enjoy what you're doing. If that does involve going back to old games and giving them a replay, then that's awesome. I know for me I rarely replay games immediately after because the last experience was fresh and I'd rather it not overstay it's welcome, but if a game is especially good, there's a good chance that in a few years I'll find myself wanting to revisit it.

I've enjoyed listening to your podcast, guys. Despite much of the stuff that you guys play not being things that I usually gravitate to myself (I'm a mid-20s guy who mostly plays JRPGs with a sprinkling of other Japanese or Indie stuff), it's refreshing hearing you guys talk about experiences that you shared with a game, along with your thoughts on current stuff. And the interviews with different "in the know" guests have been really interesting too. As a personal opinion, keep trying to strike a balance between the two styles of show if it's feasible.

Keep on trucking with what you do, Kevin and Josh. You definitely have a listener here.

Thanks for the feedback Barry. Can you further explain what you mean by striking a balance between the two styles? You mean the interviews and the game centric episodes?

Thanks for the feedback Barry. Can you further explain what you mean by striking a balance between the two styles? You mean the interviews and the game centric episodes?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Basically for me personally, I found both styles of episodes to be really interesting. The guests had a lot of cool stories that I had never known before (or maybe the info is out there but I don't read/go into those areas of the web), while the game-y episodes were nice to hear you and Josh (and guest if there is one) open back to a time of gaming that really wasn't my own and see if what you remember still holds up. I suppose they're very different formats for the show, but they both have their merits.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Basically for me personally, I found both styles of episodes to be really interesting. The guests had a lot of cool stories that I had never known before (or maybe the info is out there but I don't read/go into those areas of the web), while the game-y episodes were nice to hear you and Josh (and guest if there is one) open back to a time of gaming that really wasn't my own and see if what you remember still holds up. I suppose they're very different formats for the show, but they both have their merits.

My plan going forward is to alternate between the two. One week a game, next week and interview.

I am going to be interviewing one of the main devs of OpenEMU soon. If you have any questions about emulation on the dev process let me know.

I plan on it being a big discussion on getting emulation, "right" for those of us that obsess over the picture and sound of our old games.

Harlock

The episode with Mike Mika was one of best and more informative podcasts ever.

Did anyone knows why Shadow Dancer was not included in Sonic Ultimate Collection?

Going to be doing the first Back in my Play meet up in Cambridge, MA on June 7th. Expect to talk about old games w/ good people and free stuff

eojoko

Some thoughts on Mega Man 3 since it's an upcoming game to be discussed:

I'm having a much harder time getting to Wiley's Castle in this one than in 1 or 2. I played through 1 and 2 both in a night each, but I've been struggling with 3 for some time now, putting it down for a few days before trying again.

I've now beaten everything but Needle Man's Dark Stage. Punishing level, especially if you need to redo the rush jet section, which pretty much means forcing a game over because you're out of jet energy.

I don't think I'm terrible at Mega Man, but this is an especially hard game for me. I had a hard time figuring out the Robot Master's weaknesses in this one too. MM1 weaknesses are pretty easy to figure out (Ice beats Fire, etc.), MM2 weaknesses I just knew from playing it as a kid, but MM3 weaknesses make a little less sense. Not to mention several of the weapons, gemini laser comes to mind, are hard to use. I can see MM3 getting more fun after I've successfully played through it a few times.

Latest Episode:
Episode 27: Mega Man 3

Phil Theobald from the Player One Podcast joins us to remember, revisit, and discuss Mega Man 3. We also finish the debate between Mega Man 2 and 3.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Neifirst

More Phil Theobald is a good thing. Never loved MM3 as much as the original, MM2, and MMX, but interested to hear your recollections.

Harlock

Mike Mika could write a book in the style of Racing the Beam about the tricks used by games in nes, master system, gameboy and genesis. And the tricks in the emulation. I would gladly buy at day one.

We are doing a Back in my Play game night with Mario Kart 8 on Saturday at 6pm EDT. Will include host from Player One and some game devs.

Details coming soon. Stay tuned!

[edit]
Thanks to all the people watched / played because of this thread thanks for playing it was soooo much fun we should to this again but with the skype as communication I really did not like the empty talk.

Yeah next time skype should be the way to go.

We will be back this week with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with Brian Davis of Next Level Games. It is my first time playing so it is taking a bit longer.

Top Bottom