• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

dperrin

Interesting. I know it's top-down style, but that's all I know about it.

You should check out some gameplay on YouTube. It has some pretty cool cutscenes. If you like stealth/metal gear games I think you'd really enjoy it.

Also I just picked up a Neo Geo Pocket Color! It came with PacMan and Samurai Shodown. What games should I get next? (This podcast is bad for my wallet. Lol :p)

You should check out some gameplay on YouTube. It has some pretty cool cutscenes. If you like stealth/metal gear games I think you'd really enjoy it.

Also I just picked up a Neo Geo Pocket Color! It came with PacMan and Samurai Shodown. What games should I get next? (This podcast is bad for my wallet. Lol :p)

Match of the Milennium, Dark Arms, and both Metal Slug games.

We recommended a bunch of NGPC games on an episode with Mike Mika specifically focused on the NGPC, if you want to hear some more recommendations.

Enjoy the awesome handheld!

Teknoman

Sonic and both Metal Slugs.

everyone.gif

I WILL SEND A STICKER TO THE NEXT 5 PEOPLE THAT PM ME AND HAVE REVIEWED THE PODCAST ON ITUNES (provide itunes name)!!!

(Must be in the US, sorry).

^We only sell Vita Accessories.

In upcoming guest news, I will be interviewing Black Harris, author of, "Console Wars," next week. Feel free to post questions/topics for it.

Recording a Gaiden episode today about the Vita and it's relaunch. The best stuff on PSN for retro gamers, what games to avoid, and what you should know about the 2000.

orient

Neo Member
Jumping Flash, Tekken and Ridge Racer were the 3 games I played over and over in the early days of PSX. I remember thinking the mechanics of JF were really fun, but I don't think I ever got good at it.

I am recording Part II of the video game port series with Mike Mika tomorrow. If you have questions or topics for him you can reply or PM me.

JEKKI

hey Coach Kevin! I gotta question! why do ppl say like carbs are bad for you?

I was real lazy last week, so I bought a thing of ravioli from Costco, and ate that everyday for dinner with a grilled cheese sandwich for 4 out of 5 days last week.

I mentioned it to a friend, who plays basketball regularly, and he's like "owww... so much carbs!"

but I dont really understand nutrition like that... so what does my body gain and lose with a diet like that?

also back on topic, I like sega saturn!!

hey Coach Kevin! I gotta question! why do ppl say like carbs are bad for you?

I was real lazy last week, so I bought a thing of ravioli from Costco, and ate that everyday for dinner with a grilled cheese sandwich for 4 out of 5 days last week.

I mentioned it to a friend, who plays basketball regularly, and he's like "owww... so much carbs!"

but I dont really understand nutrition like that... so what does my body gain and lose with a diet like that?

also back on topic, I like sega saturn!!

No, not inherently. It is important to eat good food. Lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, fats, etc. Are those examples optimal sources of you macros (protein/carbs/fat). Probably not.

Defunkled

No more questions for Mike Mika?

Not sure if it's in his wheelhouse, but is there any chance you guys will discuss arcade ports on the Sega Saturn? Stuff like X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter have yet to see better home ports than the Saturn versions.

Thanks Kevin, absolutely love the podcast!

dperrin

No more questions for Mike Mika?

This may have been addressed in part 1, but I'll ask anyway. What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment when you have to port a game? For instance, was it overcoming a technical limitation or successfully pitching a game port idea to a publisher. Is there any specific game that comes to mind?

PS - These interviews are great!

Not sure if it's in his wheelhouse, but is there any chance you guys will discuss arcade ports on the Sega Saturn? Stuff like X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter have yet to see better home ports than the Saturn versions.

Thanks Kevin, absolutely love the podcast!

Yeah, we are going to get in to the Sega Saturn, the Dreamcast, and the importance of Fighting games.

Teknoman

I would say if he's heard any of the negativity towards Backbone as of late? I've seen alot of people get excited for ports or collections, and then when they hear its backbone, hating commences.

Honestly, i've never had any issues, even as far back as SF 2 turbo HD remix, but i've seen the GAF threads where people flip.

Just found a GBA so 101 for $7 at a goodwill. Its in shit shape but good quality screen. Now just need to find a GBA original for cheap to put it in.

I had a question for the author of Console Wars! Well, some of them really:

• What one revelation that you came across during your research surprised you the most?
  • What prompted you to want to write this book at all?
  • What were your favorite games and systems growing up?
  • What do you think of the modern console gaming market?
  • Nintendo is the one factor that is common across the period your book covers, and the modern day era. Do you see them sticking around? Or are their recent failures indicative of a larger problem, pointing to their eventual exit from the hardware market?
  • When chronicling this kind of a history, what was the one point where you thought to yourself 'if only this had gone differently!'
  • Can we expect a sequel?

Latest Episode:
Episode 26: Porting the Dream w/ Mike Mika (Part II)

The series on video game ports with Mike Mika continues as he discuss the struggle dealing with licensing issues, technical hurdles, the could have been Nintendo Arcade Virtual Console, what games and franchises he wants to bring back to current gen consoles, the possibility of, “Sega Ages” like collections in the West, and more awesome stories from the history of video games. Mike also gives an update on IDARB with a possible release date and talks about the Atari/ET dig!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Rlan

I highly enjoyed Mike Mika on the Sonic 3 & Knuckles issue and how he was confused about whether it was on the Ultimate Genesis Collection or not.

The Sonic 3 & Knuckles game was NOT on the Genesis collection. The reasoning for this from Ethan was:

"To shore up the development time necessary to get "Lock-On" to work in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, we would have had to drop all of the bonus games from the disc. Faced with an either/or scenario, we chose to retain our title lineup in its entirety."

This was ridiculed a whole bunch at the time, because as Mike Mika mentions, the way this works is super duper easy and incredibly well documented. In fact I believe Sonic 3 & Knuckles is instantanious when dumping the two games "Locked On" while Sonic 2 & Knuckles takes a little work (but is very well documented), so at the time it was either incompetence or cheapness.

Ultimately later in the year they released a singular version of Sonic & Knuckles on the Xbox Live Arcade, which then went the extra mile and would unlock Sonic 3&K or 2&K in the S&K game if you purchased those games on XBLA. So it was a pretty dumb thing overall :)

I highly enjoyed Mike Mika on the Sonic 3 & Knuckles issue and how he was confused about whether it was on the Ultimate Genesis Collection or not.

The Sonic 3 & Knuckles game was NOT on the Genesis collection. The reasoning for this from Ethan was:

"To shore up the development time necessary to get "Lock-On" to work in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, we would have had to drop all of the bonus games from the disc. Faced with an either/or scenario, we chose to retain our title lineup in its entirety."

This was ridiculed a whole bunch at the time, because as Mike Mika mentions, the way this works is super duper easy and incredibly well documented. In fact I believe Sonic 3 & Knuckles is instantanious when dumping the two games "Locked On" while Sonic 2 & Knuckles takes a little work (but is very well documented), so at the time it was either incompetence or cheapness.

Ultimately later in the year they released a singular version of Sonic & Knuckles on the Xbox Live Arcade, which then went the extra mile and would unlock Sonic 3&K or 2&K in the S&K game if you purchased those games on XBLA. So it was a pretty dumb thing overall :)

Might have been a Sega thing so they could sell the game again.

drspeedy

I am being DEAD F*CKING SERIOUS when I say the episode I just did with Mike Mika is the best episode yet. Look for it in 60 minutes.

Please... someone from Nintendo, put Mike on a plane and make him lead designer.Tonight. I'm stunned about the whole Wii/DS Arcade play and Donkey Kong ideas that never made it- Off TV play is nothing compared to what Mike and Co already had running! Another fantastic episode.

The 2D/3D voxel thing really should be explored more. There was a pretty cool thread on that just a while back, but I've never actually tried it yet. It could be pretty freekin on 3DS- make a "Genesis Collection" style game with 5-10 retro arcade games using tech and I'd buy it...

tumblr_inline_mydy0tei4E1qap1jz.gif

I'm still waiting for things like the Mega Man 2.5D or Contra to come out of the fan dev realm and onto retail consoles and handhelds. Honestly, it's just great seeing fan remakes capable of reinventing classics so brilliantly recently. I'm always excited seeing new things like this when they pop up, then bummed out when I realize that the companies that should be doing this aren't...

A little more time to get questions in for Blake Harris, author of, "Console Wars." Doing the interview this weekend.

I'd love to get his thoughts on longevity of Nintendo in the current landscape, and what impact the 'emerging consoles' like Ouya, Amazon Fire TV and Vita TV will have- I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, he might have covered that already.

Top Bottom