• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Latest Episode:
Episode 26: Porting the Dream w/ Mike Mika (Part II)

The series on video game ports with Mike Mika continues as he discuss the struggle dealing with licensing issues, technical hurdles, the could have been Nintendo Arcade Virtual Console, what games and franchises he wants to bring back to current gen consoles, the possibility of, “Sega Ages” like collections in the West, and more awesome stories from the history of video games. Mike also gives an update on IDARB with a possible release date and talks about the Atari/ET dig!

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

A reminder I am interviewing David Kushner, author of, "Masters of Doom" this week. Let me know if you have any questions you want me to ask him.

Teknoman

I cant think of any questions atm since I really just got into classic Doom a couple years back. Before that, i'd only played Doom 64. Personally i'm just looking forward to what the different bumper music used will be.

Update on stuff.

I am doing Part II of the series about Ports with Mike Mika this week so feel free to let me know if you have questions for him.

Also, reminder that I am talking to David Kushner if you have any questions about ID or Doom.

Raitaro

Update on stuff.

I am doing Part II of the series about Ports with Mike Mika this week so feel free to let me know if you have questions for him.

Also, reminder that I am talking to David Kushner if you have any questions about ID or Doom.

Hey Kevin. Up to episode 9 now, still lovin' it!

After some more thought, here are quite a few additional questions for David, in random order:

- Has he kept up with the recent work of Carmack and Romero, particularly their move away from id, and does he have an opinion on that? In particular Carmack's recent move to the Oculus team and his work there on VR tech might be interesting to delve into.

- Any thoughts on Romero's Daikatana and its aggressive advertising campaign (or on his fabulous hair for that matter!)?

- Are there any other designers (in America, Japan or elsewhere) that can be compared to Romero and Carmack in their prime (which I assume for now is their Doom days)? What made them stand out initially and how do they compare to others then or now?

- What kind of games does David himself like / play? Is he a fan of Doom and/or fps games in general only, or other genres as well? How about retro games on NES and such?

- What has David himself been up to since writing the book, and how has writing it treated him? is he planning on doing any new books?

- Are there any other books on games / developers that David considers as must reads?

- is the in 2005 hinted at film about the book still happening (as mentioned on Wikipedia)?

- is the considerable influence of Doom still felt nowadays, or could id have done more to nurture it by releasing more games in this series? In other words: should Doom have been what CoD has become in its absence or was it always meant as a once in a few years event centered around nw tech (though Doom 4 is taking VERY long even in that scenario)?

- Did Doom 3 ruin id's leading role in the fps market, or were other factors involved (Epic, CoD's rise later)? What is his opinion on Doom 3 in general?

- Does he have any thoughts on id's decreasing role in the engine tech arms race (especially when Unreal became the most used engine instead of id tech 4)?

- Does he have any thoughts on when id was bought by ZeniMax and how things fared afterwards?

- As a bonus icebreaker anecdote: Isn't it funny that id was founded by 4 people of which two are named John and two others have the surname Carmack (while being unrelated)?

- Will we ever see a new Commander Keen or reboot in his opinion? Why did this franchise disappear completely instead of remaining a second franchise next to Doom in the Doom days in his view? Why didn't they ever reboot it when 2d platformers became popular again or as some kind of phone or tablet game? Does he have any insight on that perhaps? Many retro PC gamers will want to know this I think.

I'm sure you have thought of most of these yourself, but perhaps some will be of use. Keep in mind that I've never read Masters of Doom though (despite knowing about it for years).

Keep up the excellent work!

Raitaro

Great questions!

Thanks Josh, and you're very welcome! Just trying to contribute something to the cause. Feel free to use as many or few of them as you and Kevin deem smart.

Love your contribution to the podcast as well by the way, especially the weekly, customised intro you do based on the game covered that week :)

Thanks Josh, and you're very welcome! Just trying to contribute something to the cause. Feel free to use as many or few of them as you and Kevin deem smart.

Love your contribution to the podcast as well by the way, especially the weekly, customised intro you do based on the game covered that week :)

Glad the intros are appreciated, as I usually get a weird look from my wife while recording them. :)

RkOwnage

zpXO3dsl.jpg

I've dropped 8lbs so far in the diet, and now the shirt is too big! I will just have to order another one when they're available. VERY Comfortable btw!!

Keep up the good work guys, the Yoshi's Island podcast was excellent!!! If you ever decide to do the WWF/WCW Games, let me know!!! #YES

Port question:

I'd like to hear mike get a little more technical on what it means to capture the feel of a classic or ported game vs capture the workings of its original programming and make that work on a different platform. Maybe he can discuss a case where they had to chose one over the other for various reasons?

Follow up, specifically, the port of umk3 to ds was one I enjoyed a lot and had the exact feel of the arcade game. Is that game basically running arcade code in an emulation wrapper, or is it using elements of the arcade programming with an engine built for ds?

Also for porting games, does the idea to port a certain game to modern plaforms usually originate with the publisher or rights holder of the title or do companies like other ocean solicit these rights holders to do a port?

Also, Dave lang has failed us in bringing windjammers to the masses. How would mike accomplish this?

orient

Neo Member
Going to be talking about this soon, the best way to play GB/GBC/GBA games BY FAR. Backlit GBA 001

I loved the original GBA design (had a white one) and never bought an SP because I found them so ugly. My nightmares consist of GBA SPs marching in tandem, The Wall-esque, with their scratched-up lids and faded silver paint.

The name of this podcast makes me cringe so hard every time i see it. Not a comment on the podcast quality, as i'm going to download and listen as it sounds like it'll be cool, but replacing Day with Play kills me...

Latest Episode:
Episode 25: Metal Storm (w/ Bonus Retro Talk)

Greg Sewart joins us to talk about the hidden gem, “Metal Storm.” It’s gravity jump mechanic, anime mech influence, and varied gameplay makes it a unique experience. We also have a bonus segment talking about random retro game topics including the Retron 5, modifying old consoles, the PS Vita 2000, Nintendo customer service, and more!.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Teknoman

Never knew about it until sorta recently (within the last couple of years) and since then its slipped out of my grasp. One day though.

CO_Andy

Who here has played metal storm? It's a really neat game.
I played through it last year. It was fun, but i found other mecha games like the Assault Suits Valken series blow it away. I hope this means you guys will do more mecha games in the future (Metal Warriors plz).

What happened to Trei? I don't pay attention to your twitter accounts, and you guys never mentioned where he went on the show.

I played through it last year. It was fun, but i found other mecha games like the Assault Suits Valken series blow it away. I hope this means you guys will do more mecha games in the future (Metal Warriors plz).

What happened to Trei? I don't pay attention to your twitter accounts, and you guys never mentioned where he went on the show.

Metal Warriors looks good, but it is like $150 for the cart!

Teknoman

lol gotta say those intros get me every time.

Josh: " Insert outlandish real life gaming scenario"
Kevin "...Alright."

EDIT: Assault Suits Valken wins for me by soundtrack alone. I wish they kept the little character images from the JP version.

lol gotta say those intros get me every time.

Josh: " Insert outlandish real life gaming scenario"
Kevin "...Alright."

EDIT: Assault Suits Valken wins for me by soundtrack alone. I wish they kept the little character images from the JP version.

Most of my life is like my opening talk with Kevin, haha.

RkOwnage

With all the guests Kevin got on the show, it definitely made sense to move one of us out of the lineup in favor of that. While I was initially bummed at the decision...I am at peace with it and grateful to have been apart of this podcast, I still support it 100% and try to listen as soon as the episodes come out. Kevin and Josh do a fantastic job and it's awesome the podcast is nearing a year of being around.

Yeah, to hit on that. Basically what Trey said. I have addressed it before in the thread.

Also I have 60 Back in my Play stickers....

Hay. I ordered a kiwi green GameBoy Color and my very own copy of the weird Wario/Bomberman crossover game: Wario Blast.

Any recommendations on other GB or GBC games that aren't already available on the 3ds VC?

TheWraith

Really digging the podcast Kevin, have recommended it to a few of my friends here in Hong Kong as well!

For the upcoming episode regarding Tokyo retro stores would be great if you could delve beyond the usual Akihabara/Nakano Broadway haunts. For example there seem to be quite a number of cheaper stores in the Tokyo suburbs. Would also be interested what are the best stores for good 1st/2nd hand upscaler x-rgb like stuff...

Really digging the podcast Kevin, have recommended it to a few of my friends here in Hong Kong as well!

For the upcoming episode regarding Tokyo retro stores would be great if you could delve beyond the usual Akihabara/Nakano Broadway haunts. For example there seem to be quite a number of cheaper stores in the Tokyo suburbs. Would also be interested what are the best stores for good 1st/2nd hand upscaler x-rgb like stuff...

Thanks! And we will be sure to hit on all of that stuff. Really going to be a gamers audio guid to retro gaming shopping in Toyko.

Top Bottom