• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

protonion

Disappointing.
I finished it in less than 2 hours. The whole episode has like 3 small areas and the puzzles were very easy. Story wise it was boring but it had an interesting twist at the end...

ElRenoRaven

Damn good episode but that puzzle in docs lab was a nightmare however. They really could have set it up better so that you didn't have to spend forever trying to figure out what to do or how some of the stuff works. I couldn't figure out how the slide tester thing was supposed to work for awhile. The end was also very predictable due to the way doc was acting each time you talked to him. Not a bad 3 and a half hours though.

I do worry about episode 5 though. There are still a ton of loose ends to tie up. The episode is going to have to be one long ass episode.

PsychoRaven said:
Damn good episode but that puzzle in docs lab was a nightmare however. They really could have set it up better so that you didn't have to spend forever trying to figure out what to do or how some of the stuff works. I couldn't figure out how the slide tester thing was supposed to work for awhile. The end was also very predictable due to the way doc was acting each time you talked to him. Not a bad 3 and a half hours though.

I do worry about episode 5 though. There are still a ton of loose ends to tie up. The episode is going to have to be one long ass episode.

Puzzle didn't seem very difficult for me. The "hardest" part was figuring out where the hell the on switch for the tester was.

Episode seemed a bit light as far as story goes. Important stuff happened for sure, but like... all of it happened at the beginning and end. With the meat of the episode spent bullshitting people to set up your elaborate scheme and walking back and forth between the two locations.

Found a couple lines of text that weren't copy-edited:

"Lets convince Edna your a criminal." should be, "Let's convince Edna you're a criminal."
"He going to ask her to marry him!" should be, "He's going to ask her to marry him!"

Cheesemeister said:
Found a couple lines of text that weren't copy-edited:

"Lets convince Edna your a criminal." should be, "Let's convince Edna you're a criminal."
"He going to ask her to marry him!" should be, "He's going to ask her to marry him!"
Yep, I actually cringed when I saw the your/you're mistake. Just thinking about it is making me cringe again. C'mon Telltale.

Definitely the glitchiest episode so far:

http://i51.tinypic.com/30tmp8p.png

But also the one with the most twists.
Loved bizarro-Doc being overwhelmed by nostalgia and turning against Marty – and how the story makes you sort of care about Edna, knowing that her life will be ruined in the old timeline. I really don't know how they're going to wrap up everything in the last episode, so that'll be interesting to see.

However good the plot might be, though, the cutscenes are ridiculous. They lack the great cinematography Tales of Monkey Island had, and seem "unnatural" and "forced". It's like they're just trying to deliver lines, lines, lines to push the story forward, without caring about the cutscenes themselves. Wish they had a better direction and more fitting music. Maybe they'll rework them before pressing them on DVD?

Gui_PT

Thanks for spoiling me with that screenshot!

Seriously now, just post a link to the image, not the image itself

ElRenoRaven

Prime Blue said:
...what the hell did that spoil? That the DeLorean appears?

I know man. sadly some people are so uptight that they'll call anything a spoiler. Not kidding but on Telltale's forum someone actually said we were spoiling the game by saying the episode ends on a cliffhanger. I mean seriously too. Keep in mind that every episode ends in a cliffhanger.

L00P

Out of all the episodes out so far, this is the worst. The puzzles feel forced, and I don't like where the story is going at all.

Oh well, I'm just going to hope for the best come final episode.

PsychoRaven said:
I know man. sadly some people are so uptight that they'll call anything a spoiler. Not kidding but on Telltale's forum someone actually said we were spoiling the game by saying the episode ends on a cliffhanger. I mean seriously too. Keep in mind that every episode ends in a cliffhanger.
Thanks, good to know I'm not the only one here. I mean, you can't make out anything in that picture. No important characters, no puzzles, no plot spoilers. Maybe the time period if you've got good eyes, but that's revealed by the episode description before starting the game (not to mention the storyline of "Citizen Brown") anyway.

Gui_PT

I like to jump into a game and know nothing about it.

Seeing pictures of scenarios of the game that shows me where i'm going to be and WHEN kinda ruins that.

Forgive me that you're too ignorant not to understand a way of thinking different than your own.

Goon Boon

Banned
Gui_PT said:

Seeing pictures of scenarios of the game that shows me where i'm going to be and WHEN kinda ruins that.

Forgive me that you're too ignorant not to understand a way of thinking different than your own.
Theres time travel, bam, game spoilered.

GhaleonQ

Gui_PT said:
Great contribution, yes

Gui_PT's net contribution to this topic said:
Just finished it too. It was pretty good :D

Edna is hot

Yeah, that is the final part.

Just saying. I could possibly understand complaining about non-spoilers if you were intimately involved with screenshot posting or debating plot points, but you (presumably) are just reading discussions about the game without having played it. Why? That's like watching post-release YouTube videos.

Gui_PT

GhaleonQ said:
Just saying. I could possibly understand complaining about non-spoilers if you were intimately involved with screenshot posting or debating plot points, but you (presumably) are just reading discussions about the game without having played it. Why? That's like watching post-release YouTube videos.

That's the problem with presumptions, they tend to be wrong.

Edit: You know what? It's a matter of respect that you obviously don't have for others and don't even try to have, so

2ev6esw.jpg

GhaleonQ

Gui_PT said:
That's the problem with presumptions, they tend to be wrong.

Edit: You know what? It's a matter of respect that you obviously don't have for others and don't even try to have, so

I get being mad about it. Lashing out is... *shrugs*

Gui_PT

I ain't even mad!

Sorry if that's what I made it look like.

It's just that people were always careful with spoilers over here, and it was always safe to hop on in and check for some opinions on the newest episode.

Gui_PT said:

Gui_PT said:
First, you can't have any idea about what is going on in that picture if you haven't played the episode. Second, if you consider such images "spoilers", then you'd better stay off message boards. Because it seems you're just coming here for absolutely nondescript comments about the episode not to "spoil" your experience.
So I conceived two of those for you to print out. Every time you get the urge to learn about a new episode without learning about a new episode, just read them:
  • "What a good episode! I liked the good parts!"
  • "A horrible episode. So baaad!"

Zhengi

So I finished episode 4 and I have to say it has been the weakest episode so far. The puzzles were fairly easy and like most have pointed out, there seemed to be many glitches. It was definitely not the most polished episode. I hope episode 5 turns out better.

Also, last night I realize that I really don't like the episodic nature of these games. The characters are familiar, but after all the time in between episodes, I just don't remember some of the things and events that happened that the characters are talking about. Maybe I'll have to go back to episode 1 and play through them all once episode 5 comes out to enjoy the whole story.

Oh well, here's hoping for a good conclusion.

Worst episode gameplay wise, but I like where the plot is going.

Interesting moral dilemma with presenting the fact that Marty is ultimately ruining Edna's future, and that alternative timeline doc is turning out to become a main villain.

Also, it was awesome seeing George McFly come to his senses and throw a good punch at the guards as sort of a metaphor for saving his marriage.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Help!! I'm so stuck on this stupid puzzle in the lab!!

I've tried the fish tank valve and generator several times, but I can't find anything else to give a negative reaction. Further, when I advance each slide, he'll flicker to yellow, smell the bacteria, and go back to red. However I can only get "Layabout" for his card. What am I supposed to do to get this to work? >_<

kiryogi

Banned
RurouniZel said:

I've tried the fish tank valve and generator several times, but I can't find anything else to give a negative reaction. Further, when I advance each slide, he'll flicker to yellow, smell the bacteria, and go back to red. However I can only get "Layabout" for his card. What am I supposed to do to get this to work? >_<

You need to give reactions to each picture accordingly. IE Green for Wilkes Booth, and Red for Edna

RurouniZel

kiryogi said:
You need to give reactions to each picture accordingly. IE Green for Wilkes Booth, and Red for Edna

Do I have to click on them to do this? When I talk to Emmett he shuts the test down.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I hope the PSN Store is up soon because I was looking forward to episode 3 on Tuesday. :(

That puzzle sucked, because it's not exactly clear how the mechanics of it work, there are many animations to sit through, and it's easy to screw up.

Whenever you click "next slide", whatever bulb is lit on on doc's hat will register.

So every time you click "next time", you need to fix the environment to get the colored light you want for that picture.

To prevent the puzzle from being screwed up and making you start over:
1) You cannot press the "test" button.
2) You cannot talk to Doc during the puzzle.
3) Do not use the Radio on any slides before the last, as it'll prevent you from getting unhappy.

Zhengi

RurouniZel said:

If you go to the far right table, past the stew pot, there's an electrical generator. If you turn the generator, it sparks an electrical shock that will shock both you and Brown. That will give you an negative reaction. Alternatively, if you go back to the tech fair and talk to Cueball, the guy next to the truck, you'll find out that he has been eating algae cakes. If you give some of those algae cakes to Doc, he will also give out a negative reaction.

RurouniZel

KittenMaster said:
That puzzle sucked, because it's not exactly clear how the mechanics of it work, there are many animations to sit through, and it's easy to screw up.

Whenever you click "next slide", whatever bulb is lit on on doc's hat will register.

So every time you click "next time", you need to fix the environment to get the colored light you want for that picture.

3) Do not use the Radio on any slides before the last, as it'll prevent you from getting unhappy.

Ah, that makes more sense, I'll go test that.

Zhengi said:
If you go to the far right table, past the stew pot, there's an electrical generator. If you turn the generator, it sparks an electrical shock that will shock both you and Brown. That will give you an negative reaction. Alternatively, if you go back to the tech fair and talk to Cueball, the guy next to the truck, you'll find out that he has been eating algae cakes. If you give some of those algae cakes, Doc will also give out a negative reaction.

Completely missed that, will go check.

EDIT: Finally! That worked! Thanks!

I enjoyed the ep, the story is going places that interest me.

I found it pretty easy, this was the first chapter I finished in one sitting without having to pause for thought.

Thought the lab puzzle was complicated at first, but once it "clicks" how it works its a one-try-and-its-done dealie.

Can't wait for episode 5. Shame we'll probably never see
Rebel Jennifer
again!

Some of the lines were hilarious:

"Zoom..enhance...zoom... enhance... hah!"

"Jen, snap out of it! This isn't the real you! [thinking it over] I mean, it's kind of like the REAL real you, but not like the real you in this timeline!"

"You know, I'm probably gonna have to write you up for a PDA violation." "Oh, bite me."

"Relax, Jennifer. I've got everything under control."

"The DeLorean should still function adequately as a means of conveyance in the first three dimensions..."

Tigel

I was re-reading the OP and I saw this image:

7rIdv.jpg

I never noticed what was on the billboard. Nice foreshadowing :)

V_Ben

Banned
Finished Episodes 3 and 4 in one sitting. I REALLY like where this story is heading.. can't wait to finish it :D Awesome stuff, if a little on the simple side, puzzle wise...

Yerolo

KittenMaster said:

Heres an alternate explanation:

There are 3 possible states that Doc can be in at a given time: Red (Negative), Yellow (Neutral) & Green (Positive). To change from one state to another you have to use either:

Record player: Positive
Stew: Positive
Valve: Negative
Generator: Negative
Algae Cakes: Negative*

* Can be used, but not required

So if the light is on Red, you need 2 state changes to make it green..so you use the record player and stew (doesnt matter which order)...and vice versa you use the valve and generator for changing it the opposite direction.

When clicking through the slides, you go to the first slide, click on the picture and Marty will tell you whether it is meant to be a positive or negative reaction, and just choose the opposite one and then change Docs colors using the above. Click to the next slide and repeat until they are all done....print out the code card and voila

Didn't like as much as the previous two episodes, but the setup for the final episode seems good:
People from two timelines with competing visions of the future both trying to make the past as they wish it.
Zhengi said:
Alternatively, if you go back to the tech fair and talk to Cueball, the guy next to the truck, you'll find out that he has been eating algae cakes. If you give some of those algae cakes to Doc, he will also give out a negative reaction.
Man, I was sure those algae cakes were something more, at first. I thought turning Doc's teeth green would be key to making him seem a slob.

Yerolo

JoshuaJSlone said:
Man, I was sure those algae cakes were something more, at first. I thought turning Doc's teeth green would be key to making him seem a slob.

You can also feed the algae cakes to every character in the game and turn all their teeth green, looks pretty funny in all the cutscenes if you do it pretty early on

avoiding all the spoilers since I am behind due to the game being put on the back burner for a bit, but I still love it. I am in the middle of Citizen Brown right now. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I hope they do a second season.

EDIT: Finished up 4. So good. The wait until 5 is gonna suck.

Danj

Stuck on episode 4.
I need a baby picture of Emmett. I figure that was him as the innocent child in the mind map slide, but since I already did the mind map puzzle, the mind map machine is broken and it won't let me turn it back on again.

Danj said:
Stuck on episode 4.
I need a baby picture of Emmett. I figure that was him as the innocent child in the mind map slide, but since I already did the mind map puzzle, the mind map machine is broken and it won't let me turn it back on again.

I think you get it after you try to spritz Young Doc with the can of aged cleaning fluid (which you have to age ~12 hours first).

Danj

Lupin the Wolf said:
I think you get it after you try to spritz Young Doc with the can of aged cleaning fluid (which you have to age ~12 hours first).

Yeah I just found it, it's the easel next to the stewpot. Can't believe I missed seeing that. Doh!

lunchtoast

Just finished it. Much shorter than the others.
Had to start a new game because the red light wasn't switching to green, and nothing was working, even the second time it was troublesome.

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-811

The chronologically crazy fifth and final episode of Back to the Future: The Game, OUTATIME, launches on PC and Mac in June! Why June you ask? We have some pretty awesome announcements to make coming in the near future that should answer that question.

That's not to say the time until Episode 5's release will be a barren wasteland of news and updates - stay tuned to the Telltale Games blog, Twitter feed, and Facebook page for all the latest developments

I really hope that means a second season.

ElRenoRaven

TellTale's Facebook page said:
Tune in to tomorrow night's (6/2) episode of GameTrailers TV on Spike TV where some big Back to the Future: The Game news will be dropping!

I'll just be leaving this here.

Top Bottom