• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backbreaker |OT| of FINALLY next-gen football

The M.O.B

Patch is now LIVE! for PS3, not sure about 360 though. Im diving into it right now. I'll give some post patch impressions.

The M.O.B

-12MB Patch

1st Game Impressions

Defense
-QB's are a lot more agile
-Opposing QB's are smarter by A lot
-Cpu is better at picking up the blitz, harder to get to the QB
-All those BS penalties are gone as well
-I couldn't get a single INT, but i knocked the ball away a lot

Offense
-Kick returns are murder, I even had to do fair catch a couple of times.
-Camera is in a very good sweet spot between god cam and over the shoulder.
-Line is a lot better, I only got sacked twice.
-blitz check is kind of disorientating, hard to find my receiver after i check.
-Lot less INT's
-A lot of drop balls from wide open receivers
-A lot of stripped balls as well from the defense

I got beat 37-27........I can't remember the last time I lost to the CPU, but i'll put that as me being rusty. :D

360 patch is live, will try out when I get home from work.

In regards to The M.O.B's impressions, after looking at impressions from Operation Sports and the Backbreaker forums, the biggest thing people are complaining about is apparently the receivers for the user controlled team can't catch a cold. Anyone that's not a gold-level WR, TE, or RB is apparently dropping everything thrown to them, even if they are wide open.

I've also seen multiple reports that the safeties play is erratic. Sometimes they break on the ball for an insta-interception, others say to combat this, sometimes the safety doesnt move at all, which is just as bad.

Lets get some more impressions GAF. Im hoping that these issues are being exaggerated. : (

linkboy

Big thing to take notice of.

The patch has broken the custom team option completely. Any team you edit will totally fuck up the rosters and ratings of the other teams.

If you download an NFL roster (or even create your own), do not go into the custom team option for any reason at all. If you make even one minor change (like a color) all of your teams will be screwed up.

This applies to both the PS3 and 360 version (although a bit less for the 360 since the PC editor can fix the roster errors, just not uniforms).

As for the patch, I love it. Makes the game so much better (minus this custom team issue).

Brinbe

Wow, haven't touched the game in a while, but that patch looks great, definitely diving back in to give it another shot... I'd say the upgraded replay alone will do it, I love that shit and was disappointed how simplistic it was.

Chrange

Banned
Catches aren't dropped anywhere near as much if you immediately go into ball protect (down on the stick, I think)

Afrikan

Chrange said:
Catches aren't dropped anywhere near as much if you immediately go into ball protect (down on the stick, I think)

and it helps if you give your receiver space to pull it in, by pass leading it to an open area....

people wanted more time in the pocket, and the devs made it so....but at the same time, if people are going to have more time in the pocket, the game can't afford to let close catches become completed or else it would be a passing fest in every game...

what the patch does is, it forces you to pick your spots wisely....

this doesn't mean WRs don't catch balls in traffic what so ever anymore.......no, I've had someone online earlier catch a key pass late in the game against me......I've also done it myself against the cpu in the final minutes of a game.

The M.O.B

Chrange said:

I tried this and it seemed to work, but that might have just been by chance. I will try this from now on and see if there is an improvement.

But right now it seems like if your man gets hit anytime before he fully cradles the ball, it will be knocked away 80% of the time. I know players drop the ball a lot from getting hit soon after but this needs to be tweaked a little bit.

Loving this Replay Suite ,.............but I wish there was a way to edit and save them to the HDD.

Maybe in GreatHouseV2 :D

Chrange

Banned
The M.O.B said:
I tried this and it seemed to work, but that might have just been by chance. I will try this from now on and see if there is an improvement.

But right now it seems like if your man gets hit anytime before he fully cradles the ball, it will be knocked away 80% of the time. I know players drop the ball a lot from getting hit soon after but this needs to be tweaked a little bit.

Loving this Replay Suite ,.............but I wish there was a way to edit and save them to the HDD.

Maybe in GreatHouseV2 :D
You might need to be in aggressive mode' as well.

mbmonk

Newberry from the Backbreaker forums is doing a pretty damn amazing video series covering different positions. The first video is a breakdown of the MLB keys and reads. He does credit me for the question. It's a really awesome video on it's own behalf. This is the type of info there should be more of. I didn't know about quite a bit of the keys he mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/user/newberry94005#p/a/u/1/oHHUc6M1aJM

Afrikan

^
wow...I am definitely looking forward to more of his videos.....this is NM first football game, and heck their first videogame they have developed....there are alot of things people like about this game....hopefully we see a sequel, I can only imagine how it improves on this foundation they have started.

Colocho

Banned
Is there any way to get the patch without having to connect the 360 online? It's just that it's such a hassle for me to move it where it can be hooked up that another method would be just dandy.

The M.O.B

Colocho said:
Is there any way to get the patch without having to connect the 360 online? It's just that it's such a hassle for me to move it where it can be hooked up that another method would be just dandy.

Taken form the Backbreaker Forums

http://www.mediafire.com/?r68tv5u08biq1og

download the RAR file from mediafire

you'll need Winrar to open it --> extract the files to your desktop

there should be 2 files.. a txt file and the patch

the patch will have "TU" as the 1st 2 characters.. stands for title update

next you'll need a USB transfer cable or some way to access your xbox HD with your PC

then you'll need the xport360 program

open xport360

access your HD

go into ---> partition 3 --> cache

put the patch file into the cache folder

close xport, put your HD back into your xbox

when the game fires up it should say "Greathouse #3" under the Backbreaker logo

Colocho

Banned
The M.O.B said:
Taken form the Backbreaker Forums

http://www.mediafire.com/?r68tv5u08biq1og

download the RAR file from mediafire

you'll need Winrar to open it --> extract the files to your desktop

there should be 2 files.. a txt file and the patch

the patch will have "TU" as the 1st 2 characters.. stands for title update

next you'll need a USB transfer cable or some way to access your xbox HD with your PC

then you'll need the xport360 program

open xport360

access your HD

go into ---> partition 3 --> cache

put the patch file into the cache folder

close xport, put your HD back into your xbox

when the game fires up it should say "Greathouse #3" under the Backbreaker logo
Wow, thanks man, really appreciate it.

Afrikan

^
yeah I really like his work...BackBreaker can be a hard game, but taking time to do the little things like reading the defense before and quickly after snapping the ball can help.

With all the recent talk about Euphoria, I might actually buy this game since it's dirt cheap now. From the comments in this thread, the game has greatly improved after the Greathouse patch.

I'm probably going to download the updated roster from ratesports.net

Top Bottom