• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backbreaker |OT| of FINALLY next-gen football

mbmonk

Field Goal Blocking:
So I was searching a way to negate blocking field goals. The way people block field goals is they take the defensiver player that is stacked right behind the nose tackle and run him up the 'A' gap. This player tends to be faster than the Dline players. So I took controll of the Guard on the Oline and literally didn't block the fat d lineman in front of him, just to see what would happen, this is against the CPU and not a human player. But the fat Dline player wasn't fast enough to block the kick.

So it looks like this could be a feasible solution. Of course it has it's downsides even if it does work. Mainly the CPU is kicking the field goal so you just have to hope he makes it. But at least it should allow you to get extra points on TD's w/o a block.

Passing:
I am still trying to figure out why a QB will make a great pass and then the next pass is 10 yards off target and over the head of the WR. I still cannot figure out why there are such wild swings. I tested playing my team with great form versus playing my team with very poor form. Not much QB passing wise changed. So that doesn't seem to be it.

Disengaging Blocks:
Anyone have any tips for how to get out/away from a block when playing defense? My computer controlled defensive teammates shed blocks like it's going out of style, but I can't seem to do it that effectively.

Chicago Black Hawks:
How many layers is that logo? That is really sick. You guys are so damn artistic it makes me sick to look at my ghetto logos.

DryvBy

I'm still curious about this game. I like that it's completely modable and such, but how's the gameplay and graphics? Reviewers are saying the game blows, but I kinda have a hard time agreeing sometimes when they say the newest Madden roster update is worthy of a 5* review.

Kolgar

DryvBy2 said:
I'm still curious about this game. I like that it's completely modable and such, but how's the gameplay and graphics? Reviewers are saying the game blows, but I kinda have a hard time agreeing sometimes when they say the newest Madden roster update is worthy of a 5* review.

Granted, I'm not your die-hard football guy who's got to build a team in franchise mode and take it through 27 seasons. I just want a good game of football that's fun to pick up and play. And I think Backbreaker is a breath of fresh air. Some may like it and some may hate it, but I've been having enough fun with the demo now that I'm going out to buy this sucker today.

The game plays quite differently than other gridiron games you're used to. The perspective kinda puts you "on the field" and while it's exciting, the lower, closer viewpoint can sometimes be limit your vision of things. It takes some getting used to and you have to hold down that "focus" button to keep your view centered on the receiver, ball carrier, etc.

I'm using the "alternate" control scheme that more closely matches traditional games. The default scheme is interesting in that it puts most of your actions on the right stick (hold right trigger to activate "aggressive" moves like stiff arms). I imagine this could be great fun if you're so inclined, and maybe it's the most effective setup, but for now, I went "alternate" because I have enough on my plate just coming to grips with the on-field action.

And you'll see some crazy action. My first play of the demo, I saw things I'd never seen in a football game. Check out some YouTube videos or better yet, play the demo for yourself.

I love the game's visuals. Sure, the players are all the same size and there's nobody on the sidelines. But the models look great, the stadiums look convincing, we have NEXT-GEN GRASS, vivid color, dramatic lighting, lots of lens flares, and the rain effect looks downright real.

My only niggle with the graphics is the quarterback's passing motion; the arm looks all wrong and the ball just sort of "lifts" out of his hands. But I can forgive that when the physics are so amazing and the player animations look so true to real life.

Got access to the demo? Give it a try. No, REALLY play with it and give it some time to click with you before you make up your mind. And don't forget the Tackle Alley mini-game. It's INSANE fun!

I think if you go into it with the mindset that you're playing a game of arcadey video football, you won't be disappointed.

DryvBy2 said:

Graphics and physics are fine. I would say Madden looks better, but BB's physics make Madden look like a game a few generations old.

However, where it matters most, gameplay, BB fails completely. It plays little like real football. The rules aren't the same, the violence is exaggerated. The passing game is completely random, there is absolutely no system to it at all. Defense is a chore to play because of the cumbersome controls and terrible camera angle. There aren't many modes, nothing that compares to Madden or APF2K8. Even if you despise Madden, I wouldn't say most football fans would enjoy this.

If you want a change of pace from Madden, APF2k8 is a good but slightly flawed title, and can be found for $5 at virtually any Gamestop.

Or at worst, wait awhile before picking this up and it will surely find its way to the bargain bins soon enough. It's not worth half the $50 it retails for imho.

DryvBy

Bumblebeetuna said:
Graphics and physics are fine. I would say Madden looks better, but BB's physics make Madden look like a game a few generations old.

However, where it matters most, gameplay, BB fails completely. It plays little like real football. The rules aren't the same, the violence is exaggerated. The passing game is completely random, there is absolutely no system to it at all. Defense is a chore to play because of the cumbersome controls and terrible camera angle. There aren't many modes, nothing that compares to Madden or APF2K8. Even if you despise Madden, I wouldn't say most football fans would enjoy this.

If you want a change of pace from Madden, APF2k8 is a good but slightly flawed title, and can be found for $5 at virtually any Gamestop.

Or at worst, wait awhile before picking this up and it will surely find its way to the bargain bins soon enough. It's not worth half the $50 it retails for imho.

There we go. That explains a lot. It's basically an arcade football game than a simulator. I'll try the demo to see if it's bargain bin fun, but I'm really sick of just having either new Madden or my old NFL 2K5 game to play, which doesn't work well on BC via PS3. :(

Kolgar

DryvBy2 said:
There we go. That explains a lot. It's basically an arcade football game than a simulator. I'll try the demo to see if it's bargain bin fun, but I'm really sick of just having either new Madden or my old NFL 2K5 game to play, which doesn't work well on BC via PS3. :(

Your PS3 emulates XBOX games? ;)

Yes, try the demo. Be sure to come back and tell us what you think!

If you've not played 2K8, maybe that's another option. That's been my standby gridiron game for years; my friends and I still play online. It's everything 2K5 was, but smoother.

mbmonk

Yea. I would give the demo a through run through before buying.

The game has a rather large learning curve and on top of that it has some major flaws. So you will get a good idea if you will like the game or not by playing the demo a lot.

The game isn't worth $50, that is definitely true. But I am working around it's flaws and I have been enjoying it.

Quick example of a flaw that you can work around. You team will frequently rough the punter giving the CPU a first down. The work around is to manually control the player who frequently roughs the punter and just make sure he doesn't do it.

EDIT: Something about APF didn't click with me. That is really weird because I am a 2k nut. To be fair I bought the game years after release for $10.

Afrikan

Bumblebeetuna said:

NOT EVEN CLOSE, imo......if they stuck with Madden 07 and expanded from there, maybe....but since they cut back on alot of the lighting and texture work since Madden 07, it is not even close....just watch both of them side by side. Watch BackBreaker and Madden 10 side by side......heck Watch Madden 07 and 10 side by side....

here are two of my uploaded videos

Madden 07
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O01mUdG1LiM

Madden 10
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH05lz-_NKk

Madden 09 and Madden 2010 do not look good compared to other next-gen sports games......sure EA's screen shots might look nice, but when you are playing the players are skinny midgets with big heads on a huge field...and the football is also too big for their bodies...and there is nothing EA can do about the football problem, well at least that is what the developers have said.

we'll have to see how a more recent build of Madden 11 is....but I don't think it will have the same type of lighting as Madden 07 had.

edit- I will say Madden 10's field can look really nice sometimes from the broadcast view....play a game in Cinnci, day game, very nice and realistic looking....but the players ruin everything.

edit- ok I just read my post again a couple of hours later....I over exaggerated a bit with the whole "skinny midgets" thing....but let's just say I was expecting ALOT from EA and their techs....Madden 07 for the PS3 had the graphics whore in me really exciting for the years to come...but then.........to "reach" 60 fps they cut back on the HDR lighting, the deep colors, the 3D grass, the high rez uniform textures.......all for 60fps.......but wait.....they did it only for the 360's Madden 08.......where as for the PS3 it still ran at 30fps in Madden 08 like it did for Madden 07....BUT THEY STILL TOOK OUT ALL THOSE EFFECTS.....that sh1t was hard to deal for this PS3 owner because it didn't make any sense....if they were going to keep it at 30fps why didn't leave all those effects in.

mbmonk

Another thing I just found out. You have to set your audibles every game. It doesn't save them. So that is a bit annoying.

I set my audibles and had a good game against a Tennesee Titans custom team. Leading 20 - 0 when he disconnected. I don't blame him. It was just one of those games where nothing was going right for him. I have been on the other end of that.

Anyone on here running the PS3 version besides me? I need to whoop up on some GAF ass :D

Chrange

Banned
Downloaded the programs needed to move the custom teams onto my USB stick and copied them to the 360 and played a game as the Vikings vs Green Bay. I guess I can see how it's nice to have the names, logos, and uniforms, but it really didn't make much of a difference to me. I prefer to use custom teams and players in games that allow them (usually remaking a local team) so I guess the license isn't a gamebreaker for me. It's kind of funny to see Favre drop back, tuck the ball and run for 35 yards though :lol

mbmonk

Chrange said:
Downloaded the programs needed to move the custom teams onto my USB stick and copied them to the 360 and played a game as the Vikings vs Green Bay. I guess I can see how it's nice to have the names, logos, and uniforms, but it really didn't make much of a difference to me. I prefer to use custom teams and players in games that allow them (usually remaking a local team) so I guess the license isn't a gamebreaker for me. It's kind of funny to see Favre drop back, tuck the ball and run for 35 yards though :lol

Lol. Did Favre throw a juke on that run? That should have blown his knee out if he did.

Kolgar

OK, I've run into the "roughing the passer" problem, which at one point happened like three times in a row, turning my opponent's 4th and 26 into a first down eventually.

Patch, please?

I had to take control of the offending defender in order to make him stop. Then it didn't happen again for a couple of games, even when I took the role of the return man.

How does something like that pass QA?

I also find it annoying when clearly incomplete passes are called fumbles and the PA announcer says something about "nine yards." A nine-yard gain? The pass was incomplete. And besides, it's 3rd and 26. Patch, please?

These issues and the number of quarterback sacks hurt what otherwise could be a very enjoyable game. I actually enjoy playing defense, and seem to be able to make a bigger impact here than in other football games I've played.

On offense, I'm having trouble completing passes. My receivers simply aren't making it to the ball, and if I hang onto the ball any longer, well, I'm going to get the daylights knocked out of me by the defense. I've tried dropping further back and waiting for the passer to reset his feet, but my men just never seem to get to the ball.

The limited visibility is a bit frustrating when attempting passes, but I suppose it's more realistic than the "God cam" we're all used to.

Tackle Alley is a very worthy and worthwhile addition to the game. I appreciate that due to its more straightforward nature, it isn't hamstrung by some of the bugs of the main game.

What's the scoop from the developers? Can we expect a patch to fix the most egregious problems? As I said, that would go a long way toward making me quite happy with this game.

mbmonk

Kolgar said:
On offense, I'm having trouble completing passes. My receivers simply aren't making it to the ball, and if I hang onto the ball any longer, well, I'm going to get the daylights knocked out of me by the defense. I've tried dropping further back and waiting for the passer to reset his feet, but my men just never seem to get to the ball.

The limited visibility is a bit frustrating when attempting passes, but I suppose it's more realistic than the "God cam" we're all used to.

Are you talking about deep routes, shallow routes, or ALL routes? :D

EDIT: I forgot you use button passing. So some of this will not apply (mainly #1, some small parts of #3), some still will though.

Having a successful passing game seems to be fairly complicated ( and not in a good way )
1) Lead Passing. Make sure you are NOT leading the receiver when you do not mean to. After you flick up on the right stick, you can hold/roll the right stick in a direction to lead the receiver with the pass. So what a lot of new players do, including myself, who didn't reallly know about the pass leading feature would just press the right stick up and hold it to throw the ball. That actually cause you to lead the receiver up the field, which is a terrible for almost all routes.

2) QB stats matter. The short version is I created a 'run first' team and couldn't really sustain a passing attack. The throws were just too wild. So I went back and created a 'pass first' team and got a QB with a high focus rating. This made a huge difference. Now I can have a sustained passing attack. I played online against a fellow PSN'er and in the first half went 11 of 12 with 1 TD and 1 INT.

3) Look for quick developing plays and reads as well as good route combinations. Check out the OP in this thread, under the 'tips' section I broke down a play called "TE Hit". That might help you out a bit. You should be looking for good route combinations. TE HIT for example, If you cover the TE there is a good chance the the slot receiver is open, due to the nature of how their routes combine and manipulate coverages.

- You should have a primary and secondary receiver already picked out when you break the huddle. The pass rush is fast in this game. You normally don't have time to check your 3rd and 4th receivers, and/or to throw the dump off to your backs (might be easier with the buttons, not sure). So having a planned order of progression will allow you to get the ball out faster, and reduce your sacks.

- Also try to have 1 fast developing route (quick slant or a short out route, for example) in your passing play. So if things get hot in the pocket quickly you have somewhere to go with the ball. This is especially key for online play. Everyone and their mother is going to blitz you early to see if you can handle it. So many times I will start out establishing the short passing game to force them to call plays that are basic coverages and not blitzes. That will then enable you to have more time in the pocket and attack down field with the passing game and also will give your running game some gaps that don't have blitzers screaming through them.

- Some pass plays have routes that take a very long time to run. The deep hook or comeback route is an example. Those routes take SO LONG to run that the Dline pressure almost always gets to me before I can throw it. So there are some routes and plays that I don't call, at all. Because the chance of me completing them seem to be almost zero.

I am going to break down another play this weekend that I have been having success with. It has a really fast read and fairly good protection so it should be of value to some people.

4) Practice. Find a play you like and just practice it. When playing an exhibition game against the CPU I will call the same play 10 times in a row if not more. My purpose isn't to win; it's to learn how to execute this particular play. During practice I will just work on switching from my primary receiver to my secondary receiver, again this will reduce the time it takes me to get rid of the ball and that will reduce sacks. I will practice reading my keys. Does the key and read I created in my head actually work. Typical practice stuff.

Kolgar said:
What's the scoop from the developers? Can we expect a patch to fix the most egregious problems? As I said, that would go a long way toward making me quite happy with this game.

I don't know. The developers are being fairly coy about a patch. They are collecting bug reports from the official back breaker support forums, but they have made it clear that there they have not been given a green light to patch the game yet. I assume 505 games is waiting to see what games sales numbers are. So that just leaves us in limbo...

I'm cautiously optimistic that the program that Flynn released to the public that allows you to adjust everyone's stats will allow a good set of "slider" I suppose to be discovered that fix a few things. Early reports show that the interceptions may be a hard fix as its apparently tied into their agility ratings (there is no catching category), but it does look like neutering the dlines and beefing up the olines that some users are having success with much better pass and run blocking, but still have good dline and blitz packages be effective.

As the person above said, my best passing games are when I do nothing but slants and close inside crossing patterns. Anything more than 10 yards out is BEGGING to get sacked, fumble, or if you actually get the pass off, an INT. If the oline can actually make you feel like you have enough time to scan the field and let WR actually be able to run their routes more than .075% of the time, it will open up an already limited playbook.

In other news, getting the entire NFL on my Backbreakers gamesave last night has made this game even sweeter! :D

mbmonk

TheApatheticOne said:
In other news, getting the entire NFL on my Backbreakers gamesave last night has made this game even sweeter! :D

As a PS3 user I am pretty damn jealous about this. I love my PS3 but damn I wish I could use this tool!

If they ever release a PC version of BB then I will have a chance to use Flynn's tool.

Kolgar

Thanks for the tips, mbmonk. I'm using the right stick now to lead my receivers a little and I think it's helping. I'm completing some passes!

But I may just change over to the default control scheme as it might make things easier in the long run. Only thing I don't like is the spin move--I can do that much easier using a button!

EDIT: Also, I just made it to Wave 39 on Tackle Alley. Euphoria Engine, indeed! :)

EDIT2: Ditched the fear and switched to default controls. Better.

mbmonk

Kolgar said:
Thanks for the tips, mbmonk. I'm using the right stick now to lead my receivers a little and I think it's helping. I'm completing some passes!

But I may just change over to the default control scheme as it might make things easier in the long run. Only thing I don't like is the spin move--I can do that much easier using a button!

EDIT: Also, I just made it to Wave 39 on Tackle Alley. Euphoria Engine, indeed! :)

EDIT2: Ditched the fear and switched to default controls. Better.

No problem. My pleasure.

I can't even get past Wave 19 much less 39. But do love that mode.

What's funny is I was thinking about switching to button passing to see if it makes dumping the ball of to your backs easier. :lol

Chrange

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Without having to look through the thread, is there a save file available for the legit NFL team/rosters for 360?
Yeah, they completed it the other day. Requires using some programs and moving your saved teams to and from a USB stick, but isn't too hard.

MiniDitka

mbmonk said:
Chicago Black Hawks:
How many layers is that logo? That is really sick. You guys are so damn artistic it makes me sick to look at my ghetto logos.
Thanks. Its 276 layers. Updated the endzone :D

AVerMediaCenter2010-06-1022-02-13-0.jpg

Kolgar

Wow, once you get a handle on the controls, this game becomes... oh, hell, I'll say it: This game becomes GREAT!

I played a half dozen games yesterday and really worked on getting the controls down pat. Now I'm leading receivers and completing passes, and finding that very often when I don't complete a pass, it's my own darned fault.

For instance, last night I tossed a ball to a receiver running an out pattern, and the ball sailed clear over my man's head and out of bounds. But I realized I'd been holding the right stick up and right, causing the ball to travel in that direction. So I ran the exact same play immediately after, and this time, held the right stick down and left after the throw. Sure enough, the ball stayed in play and my receiver reached down to snag it on his way to the end zone.

Placing the ball in this manner is critical to avoiding coverage and completing passes. Which opens up my running game, which is a thing of beauty as my back jukes, spins, and stiff-arms his way through the line.

Give us a patch to fix that roughing-the-kicker BS and I'll be damned happy with this game, and looking forward to next year's.

mbmonk

Kolgar said:
Wow, once you get a handle on the controls, this game becomes... oh, hell, I'll say it: This game becomes GREAT!

I played a half dozen games yesterday and really worked on getting the controls down pat. Now I'm leading receivers and completing passes, and finding that very often when I don't complete a pass, it's my own darned fault.

For instance, last night I tossed a ball to a receiver running an out pattern, and the ball sailed clear over my man's head and out of bounds. But I realized I'd been holding the right stick up and right, causing the ball to travel in that direction. So I ran the exact same play immediately after, and this time, held the right stick down and left after the throw. Sure enough, the ball stayed in play and my receiver reached down to snag it on his way to the end zone.

Placing the ball in this manner is critical to avoiding coverage and completing passes. Which opens up my running game, which is a thing of beauty as my back jukes, spins, and stiff-arms his way through the line.

Give us a patch to fix that roughing-the-kicker BS and I'll be damned happy with this game, and looking forward to next year's.

ED-Zarchery!

I had the exact same moment with this game. It just all comes together and the game becomes great. Please please patch this game. :D

brentech

I finally downloaded the demo and played about 8 games (demo allows to half-time, so 4 technically, but whatever). All but one on the pro and highest difficulty settings, with default controller config on x360.

As a fan of the sport itself, first and foremost, I'm glad the game exists. It's definitely a different perspective for the sport.

At it's worst, its completely flawed and a horrible rendition of game programming-logic with seemingly steroid infused, blind Neanderthals running until they smash into something....but it's fun to watch!

At it's best, it's the future of video-game football. There's a lot of things that need tweaking (some overhauled), but it's not to say that the concepts aren't in place. With or without the support of any licensing deal, Backbreaker could catch on as the definitive football simulator with the right changes made.

In it's current incarnation I don't think I'd be willing to put any money on purchasing the title, but I'll definitely be watching further development very closely. I guess there is some speculation that depending on sales, being a tech company, they may have been creating this in hopes that other sports game makers (namely EA), will see it and think they need to purchase the technology to put into their games. I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing. I'm hoping the company continues to develop this into a series and just does right by the sport.

Polish it up, give it a great presentation and franchise mode - it could be huge.

mbmonk

brentech said:
I finally downloaded the demo and played about 8 games (demo allows to half-time, so 4 technically, but whatever). All but one on the pro and highest difficulty settings, with default controller config on x360.

As a fan of the sport itself, first and foremost, I'm glad the game exists. It's definitely a different perspective for the sport.

At it's worst, its completely flawed and a horrible rendition of game programming-logic with seemingly steroid infused, blind Neanderthals running until they smash into something....but it's fun to watch!

At it's best, it's the future of video-game football. There's a lot of things that need tweaking (some overhauled), but it's not to say that the concepts aren't in place. With or without the support of any licensing deal, Backbreaker could catch on as the definitive football simulator with the right changes made.

In it's current incarnation I don't think I'd be willing to put any money on purchasing the title, but I'll definitely be watching further development very closely. I guess there is some speculation that depending on sales, being a tech company, they may have been creating this in hopes that other sports game makers (namely EA), will see it and think they need to purchase the technology to put into their games. I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing. I'm hoping the company continues to develop this into a series and just does right by the sport.

Polish it up, give it a great presentation and franchise mode - it could be huge.

Yea. The game has massive problems but the core, the very core, is great and fun.

Don't forget to try out Tackle Alley before you erase the demo.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Jumped on PSN today after a week or so of no gaming... figured Backbreaker demo would be a cool distraction for a little while.

Still not there!? wtf.

mbmonk

So I have been testing out how to avoid being blocked as a defender. One thing I have noticed, especially on kickoff coverage, if you start your swim move before you actually make contact with the blocker, you will defeat the block.

This makes sense in a weird round about way. If you are a defender doing a pass rush you are trying to keep the Olineman's hands off you and your body. So you will see Dlineman trying to slap away the Olines hands. So starting the swim move before you get physically blocked makes some sense. Or atleast I THINK that is correct.

recklessmind said:
Jumped on PSN today after a week or so of no gaming... figured Backbreaker demo would be a cool distraction for a little while.

Still not there!? wtf.

Wow. Still not up? That is sad. Maybe next week...

brentech

mbmonk said:
So I have been testing out how to avoid being blocked as a defender. One thing I have noticed, especially on kickoff coverage, if you start your swim move before you actually make contact with the blocker, you will defeat the block.

This makes sense in a weird round about way. If you are a defender doing a pass rush you are trying to keep the Olineman's hands off you and your body. So you will see Dlineman trying to slap away the Olines hands. So starting the swim move before you get physically blocked makes some sense. Or atleast I THINK that is correct.
I kinda saw this as well. I think doing the spin works better when you're not fully engaged, but you can also end up getting crumpled if you get your back to them too early (just threw my ass to the ground, face plant style).

The line play seems to work better in an actual game than 1 on 1. It's hard to disengage outside of a normal game from what I've been able to do in the demo using their tutorial mode or whatever it's called. Seemed like the blocker was just holding me for the most part.

mbmonk

brentech said:
I kinda saw this as well. I think doing the spin works better when you're not fully engaged, but you can also end up getting crumpled if you get your back to them too early (just threw my ass to the ground, face plant style).

The line play seems to work better in an actual game than 1 on 1. It's hard to disengage outside of a normal game from what I've been able to do in the demo using their tutorial mode or whatever it's called. Seemed like the blocker was just holding me for the most part.

Yea. Once they get their hands on you I find it really hard to away from them. I get pancaked quite a bit :lol

I haven't tried the spin move, I need to test that out. Thanks for pointing that out.

mbmonk

Okay so I said I would break down another play this weekend so here it is.

Play Name: Gun Corner Wheel
Formation: Shotgun

2010-06-12%2015.18.03.jpg

Primary Receiver: Slot WR
Secondary Receiver: WR on TE side (AKA the WR running the red colored route in the picture above)

Play Overview: The play has three receivers going out. 2 of them are running deep routes, and one is running a shallower in route.

Why this play works: This play works for 3 main reasons. First, is because of protection. You have 7 players blocking and only 3 running routes. This is great because the primary receiver is running a deep route and you need time in the pocket to let him get downfield and open. 2nd, The read is very simple and fast. Third, the secondary receiver is normally your best WR stats wise. So throwing to the secondary receiver is normally getting the ball in the hands of one of your better players.

Basic Read: Again the read is a fairly standard read that many passing plays use. After the ball is snapped you should be looking at the deep middle of the field about the depth of the safeties. Is the deep Middle Of the Field Open (MOFO)? Basically did any safety move to cover the deep middle of the field? If not then throw it to your primary reciever. If a defender moved to cover the deep middle of the field ( MOFC - Middle Of the Field Closed) then switch to your secondary receiver and see if he is open coming across the middle.

Zone Read: Pretty much just like the basic read stated above. You look to see if there is someone moving to cover the deep middle of the field. If not then check the middle line backer before you throw it. In the Tampa cover 2 the MLB will drop into the deep middle. It's easy to read the MLB because he is going to be in the middle of the field and you are waiting for the slot receiver to get downfield anyway so you have time to check him. If the MLB drops into the deep middle of the field, then that should leave some space for your secondary receiver to get open in.

Man Read: If it's man coverage the read is still the same. If the deep middle of the field is open. Then you have a chance to drop it into the Slot WR over the top of the man defender. But don't force it because your secondary receiver is going to be coming over the middle and should have a good chance to be open. If the WR on TE side is your best receiver getting him the ball in man coverage can be a VERY good thing. One or two jukes and you can be on your way for 6. So don't force it to the Primary receiver when it might result in an interception or a sack.

Video Example:
MOFO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYD3ifXCA_I
MOFC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBKlPlRqZ3A
As stated earlier, I am not saying this is the best way to run this play. This is just what has worked for me and my custom team.

The M.O.B

mbmonk said:
Okay so I said I would break down another play this weekend so here it is.

As stated earlier, I am not saying this is the best way to run this play. This is just what has worked for me and my custom team.

Worked for me 3/4 times :D

PS. Add Me on psn : Titankiller2

mbmonk

Good game MOB. I got stuck in the beginner playcalling mode somehow. I could only call 1 of 4 pass plays, or 1 of 4 running plays. It was pretty annoying.

BTW, do you have some superman kicker? Did you try like a 60+ yard field goal and almost make it? I thought you were messing with me when you called out the FG unit. :lol You almost made that sucker.

Nice defense. Maybe we can get a rematch later this weekend. You had some nice plays I haven't seen before so I want to get another look at them :D.

The M.O.B

mbmonk said:
Good game MOB. I got stuck in the beginner playcalling mode somehow. I could only call 1 of 4 pass plays, or 1 of 4 running plays. It was pretty annoying.

BTW, do you have some superman kicker? Did you try like a 60+ yard field goal and almost make it? I thought you were messing with me when you called out the FG unit. :lol You almost made that sucker.

Nice defense. Maybe we can get a rematch later this weekend. You had some nice plays I haven't seen before so I want to get another look at them :D.

Haha Great Game, and yeah i forgot to change the settings, sorry about that.

My fumble in the end-zone was just embarrassing, I couldn't resist showboating :D

That's because i was using the Militia, their kicker is god-like,

I love how everytime someone had something going, it would end in an INT. I mostly tried to use Shotgun formation plays so its easier to avoid sacks

Afrikan

The M.O.B said:
Haha Great Game, and yeah i forgot to change the settings, sorry about that.

My fumble in the end-zone was just embarrassing, I couldn't resist showboating :D

That's because i was using the Militia, their kicker is god-like,

I love how everytime someone had something going, it would end in an INT. I mostly tried to use Shotgun formation plays so its easier to avoid sacks

make sure if you do that...that you step up alittle...you keep dropping back and you will get sacked faster.

The M.O.B

5-0 Online Using no Exploits :D

My last game featured 10 ints, 4 sacks and a block FG to win the game for me! Im so glad the dude did not run out the clock like he should have, he went for a FG to further ice his lead, one of my guys block it, i Pick it up and chug 60 yds for a TD. Greatest game for me thus far. :lol

For some reason, stepping up into the pocket doesn't work for me though :/

I cant even finish a game of this anymore. There needs to be a medird or harium mode.

If I play PRO-Medium, its like Im the Harlem Globetrotters, I win 70-0 in a bloodbath, rush for over 125 yards, QB goes 24/28 with over 300 yards and 6 TD, 1-4 INTs (because even in these games, you're bound to have AT LEAST 1-2), etc. Doing this good gets boring by the second quarter anymore.

If I play PRO-Hard, form random or good, the score is usually something like 10-(3-7) CPU. CPU has 8-10 sacks that total where delivered in 8-10 seconds, half of those forced fumbles, I'll have completed more passes to the opposing secondary than my own wr corps. and in the off chance I hit a WR in stride, he bobbles it until someone in the secondary finally intercepts it. Now, while the D is all world, despite what their ratings may be, the offensive AI is still HORRIBLE. If they were halfway good, the AI would be spanking me 50-3.

Now, I know some say that they are playing on pro-hard and having great success. Well, I am jealous. But for me, Ive played enough of this to know that I feel like Pro-Hard is absolutely broken and pro-medium doesn't even put up a fight. Hopefully with Finn's editor something can fix this so I can play a good game of football here.

Here comes the boom! the demo just came onto PSN. The kickoff return gameplay is soooooooooo fun. Who woulda thought a shaky cam and some rock music could make this kickoff so much better than any other football games kickoff :D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
PS3 demo impressions:

- Uh... what's with the damn roughing penalties on punts? I can tackle a receiver in the secondary w/ no call, but every great defensive stand gets fucked by a game the devs apparently never played, since this shit happens almost every time. How do you miss this?

- I'm extremely impressed by the number of pre-snap adjustments on offense, like putting guys in motion, shifts, and especially all the hot routes. Oh wait...

- Quarterback play is extremely sluggish... switching intended receivers, scrambling, longest developing pump fakes in history. Use R2 to avoid a sack, it usually makes your QB spaz out and run backwards and fucks the camera. In the few instances you are able to finesse a decent scramble, it take four damn years before you can throw the ball again. I'm not asking for Madden's on-the-run bombs here... but if you are somehow able to set your feet, you should be able to get off a fucking pass.

- Secondary is retarded. I've got the game on hard and I beat them deep in trip coverage more than in Madden.

- Juke move is generic and unrealistic. But running is generally the high point here. Very visceral. I enjoy it a lot. Of course anything other than a HB Dive is a failed run unless you immediately cut it upfield. Add an inside juke and you usually gain at least fiver yards.

- I've never seen more sacks in a game in my life. Add I rarely get sacked unless I try to move the QB at all.

- Receivers break off their patterns for no fucking reason... it's often impossible to throw to an anticipated hole in the coverage. This is inexcusable.

- Why doesn't the game remember which player I'm using on defense? It's annoying have to select the guy with L1 before every play, especially when time is an issue.

- Don't really mind the close camera, but it makes defense pretty frustrating and disorienting (even when holding focus).

- Defensive players often stall at the LOS at the snap... even if you press forward, it's like they're a second behind the play. I started playing LB because of this.

- Fielding short kicks is unnecessarily cumbersome. I actually lost the ball a couple times because of this.

- Too easy. Way too easy.

- All that said... I kind of like the game. But they have a loooooooooong way to go. I hope they get these issues sorted out.

Seraph-

Made my first team the Vekta Invaders...kinda proud of em, though the roster is incomplete. Right now it includes Jan Templar as DE, Rico Valasquez as C, Hakha (whatever his last name is) as WR, Dante Garza at TE, I plan to add some of the dev names that popped up in kz 1 as bots.
sorry for the kinda crap quality, is a group of phone pics

This is the logo which is at the 50 yard line
2j1rcjl.jpg

This is the emblem on the side of the player helmets
1z3vxbm.jpg

Here's a view of the team uniforms.
szx3x0.jpg

And the Endzone
300fh41.jpg

I must admit, as a first attempt, it wasn't that hard to do this and I only put about 2 hrs into the project. 48 layers for helghast head, 17 for Helghast logo and 39 for the end zone.

Top Bottom