• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 publishing director says "almost all games should cost more at a base level" because they cost so much to make

Today's reminder

7dzKQuR.png

Game prices have not even remotely kept up with inflation over the past 30 years. They SHOULD cost more just with inflation, without even considering what game budgets are in 2024 compared to what they were in 1995 etc.
Please don’t make me make a chart showing the difference in quality of game between then and now…I promise you the quality was far greater than a -106.4% drop over the last 30 years 🤷‍♂️

What shameful clowns. These are the idiots you all keep championing. Urging GTA6 to raise prices so they can do it too. More brazen than EA and Bobby Kotick right now. No one else has said this.

"$70 is too cheap."
"Almost all games should cost more."

- Larian

One mega hit game and they instantly stab you in the back. Watch out for these guys. Ubisoft literally hasnt said this yet. Let that sink in. They are using their reputation and good will to fuck you and move the acceptable price. Real mask off moment.
I don’t think I remembering you go this hard in a post. I like it.

Yoboman

If people didn't spend 50 gadzillion dollars and 87 years on a single game maybe you wouldn't need to attach so much DLC and raise prices to get it shipped out the door.

Games do not need to cost 100 million dollars to be good products.
Yes they do

JayK47

To get the full Star Wars Outlaws game, you need to spend $110. Seems to me that games have gone up in price. Maybe they wouldn't cost so much to make if you didn't have to hire 2 dozen fucking consultants. There is just too much bloat, and I am expected to pay for it and like it.

Generic

Good luck with that shit attitude.

Nintendo have proved time to time you don't need that amount of money to make good games.

And is actually pretty simple:

I buy a game because is good, not because cost loads of money. I don't give a shit about the cost of those things, I'm a client and nothing more. You guys need to take that in mind before wasting 8 years and making trash games like Concord.
Nintendo sells 7 years old games for $60.

Raven117

Games are not inelastic. Much over 70 and that price tag just seems too high for it to be a regular purchase for folks. But that said…. Looking at what gets done on mobile… many they can raise the price.

(The issue is that they raise the price and basically sell you the other half of the game through dlc and micro transactions)

It does feel like we are charging into change…things kinda feel weird out there.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Ah yes Baldurs Gate 3 the game that took 25 patches to get fixed.
And I'm currently playing Kingdom come: Deliverance- a game that took 2 years to get fixed.

No I'm going to keep buying games years later and at a steep sale.
KCD still runs like ass.

Top Bottom