• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Gorgon

Just wait until act 2 brother!!

Karlachs story is by far the most interesting in this so far. Looking forward to subsequent playthroughs with different companions. There seems to be a huge amount of varaiation in story and progression depending on who you pick, and who you are. My friend is currently playing through an area with Astarion that I couldn't even access because I am playing a completely different group + class.

This is what every RPG should do and virtually none does. From what I've seen, it's just insane in BG3.

foamdino

I'm playing as a female drow sorc with charlatan background - let's just say that it's very possible to talk your way through a massive chunk of fights - to the point where I'm now going back and aggroing "friends" as I feel I'm missing out on xp/gear by not killing them - I adore the fact that they just assume I'm a baddy as I'm a drow (and a female at that) so they bow and scrape as I walk past <snigger>.

Yahzi

Neo Member
Just a question - in this game can I have the zoomed out camera all the time including when I'm fighting? I've seen videos where it shows the camera zoomed out and then it zooms in when the fighting takes place. I prefer the zoomed out look, not sure if it's possible to have it locked like that. I'm coming from the old BG/Planescape era so sue me. :D

Gorgon

Jut bought the game on Mac (Steam) too. Now trying to control the urge to play the EA version and start again when it comes out next month on PS5 and Mac.

Last edited:
Jut bought the game on Mac (Steam) too. Now trying to control the urge to play the EA version and start again when it comes out next month on PS5 and Mac.
Join Geforce Now (there is a free tier) and you can stream the Steam version. Your save should transfer over to PS5 and Mac.

The GFN free tier limits you to 1 hour sessions but you can log out then back in as many times as you want to start a new session. If there is any game that is perfect for streaming it's BG3. I'm not sure what kind of performance you get on the free tier. I'd probably just sign up for a month of Priority (6 hour session, 1080p/60fps). Ultimate is 8 hour sessions at (up to) 4K 120fps.

Gorgon

Join Geforce Now (there is a free tier) and you can stream the Steam version. Your save should transfer over to PS5 and Mac.

The GFN free tier limits you to 1 hour sessions but you can log out then back in as many times as you want to start a new session. If there is any game that is perfect for streaming it's BG3. I'm not sure what kind of performance you get on the free tier. I'd probably just sign up for a month of Priority (6 hour session, 1080p/60fps). Ultimate is 8 hour sessions at (up to) 4K 120fps.

Yeah, EviLore EviLore also said the same. I'm probably gonna do that during this week. The URGE is too strong.

Fools idol

Banned
This is what every RPG should do and virtually none does. From what I've seen, it's just insane in BG3.

it's because it's so hard to do - a long and arduous task which involves a ton of variables that have to be figured out, bug tested, and QA

geary

it's because it's so hard to do - a long and arduous task which involves a ton of variables that have to be figured out, bug tested, and QA
Not to say expertise in these kind of creativity. Not every game director is up to the task to do this unfortunately.

yey i beat the spooky dead dudes in the dank crypt and spoke to Withers. Found the scuffed rock which led me to the hidden cache. Fought the goblins and got in the druid place. I've only played 5 and half hours. Getting the feel for it but still confused how spells work lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skifi28

In the weekend, I played 9 hours each day and I still had to force myself to stop in order to get some sleep. I haven't done this since I was in college, I don't think I've ever player for more than 3 hours straight this past decade and I always thought it was just me growing old and tired. This game made me feel young again.

Gorgon

Dude, wtf. I'm getting driver errors on Geforce Now? WTF.

EDIT: Nevermind. The problems are there but the game still launches. All good :pie_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

calistan

yey i beat the spooky dead dudes in the dank crypt and spoke to Withers. Found the scuffed rock which led me to the hidden cache. Fought the goblins and got in the druid place. I've only played 5 and half hours. Getting the feel for it but still confused how spells work lol.
I'm having trouble with spells too. Some seem to be limited to one use per day or per fight, which is weird when they don't do all that much damage. I run out of spells pretty quickly in fights against multiple enemies, so my wizard character isn't the super powerful magic user I was hoping for.

I'm having trouble with spells too. Some seem to be limited to one use per day or per fight, which is weird when they don't do all that much damage. I run out of spells pretty quickly in fights against multiple enemies, so my wizard character isn't the super powerful magic user I was hoping for.
yeah i'm confused. it seems you need to rest to use certain ones. i don't get the sorcery points or creating spell slots.

Guilty_AI

yeah i'm confused. it seems you need to rest to use certain ones. i don't get the sorcery points or creating spell slots.
Spell slots recover after long or short rest, depends on your class. You can use whatever spell as long as you still have spell slots available. Alternatively, pay attention to cantrips, those dont require rest and can be used whenever. If you want to check whether the ability requires rest or not just hover the mouse over it, use inspect if you must

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I think the thing that disconnects a lot of people is the resting mechanic. All your spell slots recover on a long rest, but it feels incredibly disconnected to the story when you're in between two groups of enemies and decide to go to bed. There's just no way around it, resting is broken and they fully expect you to do it often. If you're like me you probably constantly have 10+ full rests worth of supplies banked, but don't do that - fight until you're out of spells and then go to sleep. You can use cantrips on easier enemies/fights to prolong that time, no need to blow a level 2 spell on a mob that's about to die from a basic attack.

It feels less strange as you level up and unlock more slots and do greater damage with those abilities, the early levels are the roughest for casters in that regard.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just realized there will be no physical version of this game on PS5. Maaaan. At least this has an excuse I guess (wouldn't fit on one disc), unlike Alan Wake 2...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think the thing that disconnects a lot of people is the resting mechanic. All your spell slots recover on a long rest, but it feels incredibly disconnected to the story when you're in between two groups of enemies and decide to go to bed. There's just no way around it, resting is broken and they fully expect you to do it often. If you're like me you probably constantly have 10+ full rests worth of supplies banked, but don't do that - fight until you're out of spells and then go to sleep. You can use cantrips on easier enemies/fights to prolong that time, no need to blow a level 2 spell on a mob that's about to die from a basic attack.

It feels less strange as you level up and unlock more slots and do greater damage with those abilities, the early levels are the roughest for casters in that regard.

Going to sleep in the middle of wherever just "pauses" the world? Yikes, that sounds very immersion-breaking, in a game where your actions having consequences is one of the main points.

It's a resource that lets you use metamagic or you can sacrifice your sorcery points for additional spell slots and vice versa.

i.e if you have 2 sorcery points, you can either empower a spell with metamagic or you can sacrifice those two points for an additional level 1 spell slot. Casting a level 1 spell will use up one level 1 spell slot and so on.

Sorcerers are unique in that you can recover your spell slots using your short rests. Every other class has to do a long rest to recover their spell slots

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's a resource that lets you use metamagic or you can sacrifice your sorcery points for additional spell slots and vice versa.

i.e if you have 2 sorcery points, you can either empower a spell with metamagic or you can sacrifice those two points for an additional level 1 spell slot. Casting a level 1 spell will use up one level 1 spell slot and so on.

Sorcerers are unique in that you can recover your spell slots using your short rests. Every other class has to do a long rest to recover their spell slots
Monks also recover with short rests. Though they have "ki points" instead of spell slots.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I went to the Goblin camp and I was like I can do this and I got rolled over. I was at level 3 and they steam rolled me. I then figured out I should have done more exploring in the wilderness to level up. I loaded a save before any agro and left the camp. I then went back the the blighted village explored and killed thoroughly. Now I am working my way North to find more cool stuff.

Things I had to learn. Spells are not infinite and you have to rest in order to restore them. Had no idea. Rest and rest often. Camp is cool. Game is a great adventure and you need to take it slower.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Going to sleep in the middle of wherever just "pauses" the world? Yikes, that sounds very immersion-breaking, in a game where your actions having consequences is one of the main points.

As above, it does sometimes progress things and you can't always do it. But it's still a bit jarring narratively.

I tell myself that my group is just having a "quick sit down rest" rather than sleeping constantly and it got me over it. There's been a couple of times where player imagination helps patch some of the holes in something this absolutely gigantic in scope.

Guilty_AI

Long resting can progress world and quest events however. There are also certain circunstances the game stops you from resting

Found some examples, act 1 spoilers naturally:

if you go to the goblin camp and leave without freeing Halsin, after a long rest he'll break himself out.
If you agree to Drow Paladin Minthara's assault on the Grove, she says the attack will begin the next day and she means it⁠—a long rest will trigger the battle sequence, and if you want to side with the Grove, you'll no longer be able to sneakily take out the Goblin leaders in their camp and will instead have to betray them at the assault.

Seems there needs to be some trigger first, the world doesn't advance by itself

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
jesus christ, the hyeena things are a nightmare on tactician. Just started a new run to see what it was like and yeah, roadblock. Is there a particular strat that works against these bastards?

foamdino

Did you meet boss gnoll? That was one of the most nerve wrecking rolls i had.
I met a Flind - and yeah it was brutal - but it felt very rng-based, first fight I couldn't hit him - second attempt, I isolated it via terrain and got some good hits right at the start then with judicious use of push got rid of the adds. If there is a further gnoll boss - I've not come across them yet.

Guilty_AI

I met a Flind - and yeah it was brutal - but it felt very rng-based, first fight I couldn't hit him - second attempt, I isolated it via terrain and got some good hits right at the start then with judicious use of push got rid of the adds. If there is a further gnoll boss - I've not come across them yet.
Yeah it was this one, but didn't the game prompt a roll with him?

When i got close to him, a cutscene triggered that showed me he was infected with a mindflayer, his mind was in disarray and very hungry. With an easy roll i was able to convince him using my ilide powers to eat his comrades instead (i could also prompt him to attack the people in the cave, but i'm a good boy in this run).

After defeating his minions with his help, another cutscene triggered saying he was still hungry, and i had to convince him into either eating the people in the cave, or his own body. Tried for his own body, won the roll, but another roll still came up because he was resisting, this time an even harder one. But i was lucky once again and the guy killed himself.

It was horrible cause i hadn't saved in a while and was on my last legs already.

Last edited:

foamdino

Yeah it was this one, but didn't the game prompt a roll with him?

It was horrible cause i hadn't saved in a while and was on my last legs already.
No, I didn't get the prompt. I snuck up the hill and attacked the gnoll on the overlook - straight into combat. Then after the fight when almost completely out of health, I accidentally aggro'd the caravan guards with a bad roll (Lae'Zel was closest and it gave me crap choices and I didn't think before clicking - yeah so I didn't read his thoughts, I just pissed him off).

Guilty_AI

No, I didn't get the prompt. I snuck up the hill and attacked the gnoll on the overlook - straight into combat. Then after the fight when almost completely out of health, I accidentally aggro'd the caravan guards with a bad roll (Lae'Zel was closest and it gave me crap choices and I didn't think before clicking - yeah so I didn't read his thoughts, I just pissed him off).
I imagine the prompt only appears if you get physically close to him with your character.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
This game..

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

I have to get used again to the more refined dice roll stats where +1 on armor or skill can literally make a difference :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I got brainwashed by western RPGs with +100 stats where it all numbs down the importance of it.

thuGG_pl

Why is the combat so difficult on the setting for the one right above story? Makes the game not fun at all.
Well. tbh I don't find it that difficult on medium. Most of the figths I win on first try, only one I needed to reload multiple times. Some need two attempts.
Mybe story is for you?

Top Bottom