• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lost track of time and saw the session limit warning for Geforce Now Ultimate for the first time (apparently 8 hours).

It's everything you could want in a CRPG, really. The exploration is a bit like BG2 where a false wall somewhere mundane looking can lead you to an enormous new area or some tiny hints can lead to something unique and powerful. There's so much you can miss if you're not looking carefully, and the game is okay with that, which makes it even better.

Protip: use the highlight key (left alt by default) when searching rooms for loot. Just like in the infinity engine days, it's easy to miss items. Here you still have to get close to items though for them to highlight with the key, which is fair.

Shubh_C63

Ok wow the game definitely isn't easy, I'm just barely scratching by encounters. Enemy hits so hard just no mercy.

What clothes does Barbarian wear that can be imbued with Mage Armor ?
or its stupid giving magic resistance to a barbarian and should reserve Mage Armor spell to Mages/Robes ?

What a game! I played from 10 am to 3 am yesterday. Woke up way to early today to continue playing. It's amazing.

Also one quest bugged out on me (minor I thing), but that's a bit annoying considering how long it was in EA.
Which one, the Tiefling child pickpocket? This one glitched for me and many other people, and apparently that's been a thing since EA...
Even after saving the other kids, their leader Mol never gave me the option to ask her about my missing belongings. I ended up looting their chest while they were looking the other way, so the quest will probably stay in my journal forever... along with the "steal the idol" quest Mol gave me, because I ain't crossing an entire druid's grove lol

Someone else had a more annoying glitch with the quest to save Halsin, where he didn't acknowledge you killed his captors so wouldn't join you. Game should have stayed in EA a while longer...

Ar¢tos

How does the split screen works when one player enters combat? The other enters combat too if they are together? The other roams around the combat area in real time while the turn based combat happens?

Fools idol

Banned
Combat options are so incredibly well designed. I was getting my ass handed to me by the Anders paladin guy for having Karlach in my party. He was one shotting us all with smite attack over and over so in the end... I sneaked my rogue assassin into the roof ramparts and dropped an acid arrow on his face to start the fight, quikly followed by a few critical hits and whooped his ass. Felt good

Gorgon

Lost track of time and saw the session limit warning for Geforce Now Ultimate for the first time (apparently 8 hours).

Grrrr..huggnnnn...haaaaa

Man, I may have to go the Geforce Now route. I don't think I can just wait an entire fucking month for the game to hit the PS5 and Mac. I'm just spending all my time hitting refresh on GAF or watching gameplay videos online and spoiling the whole thing. Guess I have to buy the game on Steam and get a month of Geforce Now. Still trying to resist, though... :pie_grinning_sweat:

Combat options are so incredibly well designed. I was getting my ass handed to me by the Anders paladin guy for having Karlach in my party. He was one shotting us all with smite attack over and over so in the end... I sneaked my rogue assassin into the roof ramparts and dropped an acid arrow on his face to start the fight, quikly followed by a few critical hits and whooped his ass. Felt good
Yeah, a lot of combat can be... maybe not "trivialized", but at least made much easier by starting them the right way.

Like that fight against the gobbos at the entrance to the emerald grove: first time we came from the south, and got shredded by the archers that start directly on the hill overlooking the area (still won, but that was a hard-earned victory). On my second playthrough, since I knew where those little fuckers were, I started the fight by coming from that hill, so the archers actually spawned right in the middle of my party. That'll teach 'em. Made the entire fight almost a joke, since I was the one getting the advantage of the higher ground.

For the Anders fight, I was going up to the balcony when the enemy "trader" (don't remember her name) came wandering outside, so I shot her dead with my assassin; that triggered the fight, but both Anders himself and his ranger waifu came at me from the same door, so tanking with a raging Karlach and putting a cloud of daggers spell in front of her did the trick. The fight against the gnolls at the nearby cave was much harder, actually got someone downed for the first time.

Guilty_AI

along with the "steal the idol" quest Mol gave me, because I ain't crossing an entire druid's grove lol
I tried doing it just for the keks (with no intention to commiting to the save since i don't wanna cross the druids either) and the results were... more chaotic than i predicted. I also got a chance to get a glimpse of how brutal the game can get.

I'm definitely stealing that idol on my Dark Urge playthrough.

Last edited:

geary

I got my ass kicked by Anders for 4-5 times, until i changed Gale with Lae'zel and got a lucky consecutive crit strikes from Karlach and Lae'zel on him....

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

Which one, the Tiefling child pickpocket? This one glitched for me and many other people, and apparently that's been a thing since EA...
Even after saving the other kids, their leader Mol never gave me the option to ask her about my missing belongings. I ended up looting their chest while they were looking the other way, so the quest will probably stay in my journal forever... along with the "steal the idol" quest Mol gave me, because I ain't crossing an entire druid's grove lol

Someone else had a more annoying glitch with the quest to save Halsin, where he didn't acknowledge you killed his captors so wouldn't join you. Game should have stayed in EA a while longer...
I don't think this one exactly, but probably releated one(s).
It's "Ivestigate the beach", after saving the thiefling child he won't talk to me. Also I can't find Mol anywhere.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
What's the consensus on Karmic Dice? I have it off as I don't really understand how it works.

Fools idol

Banned
What's the consensus on Karmic Dice? I have it off as I don't really understand how it works.
basically it limits shit rolls so that you can get luckier. Easy mode dice rolling essentially. But it seems a bit broken at the min, basically nullifying a lot of deliberately difficult rolls

Guilty_AI

Tip for players struggling with the game's systems. Press T to inspect icons and terms you don't understand in the UI, people tend to ignore these sorts of stuff and but it has been proving to be surprisingly helpful in understanding the rules.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The Witch Quest is bugged for me. Also I'm loving Wild Magic Barb. Reminds me of Kite's Nen ability from Hunter X Hunter.

Last edited:
Yey i killed the dudes in the ruins. It was close though! Everyone was dead and Shadowheart was an inch away from dying. Explored the ruins and pressed a button and some dead guys attacked me. I noped out and loaded my previous save. Went to get some rest. I'll go back and see if I can kick their ass now :D
When you open your inventory, there should be tab on the top that lets you organize your magic. You can do it whenever as long as you aren't in combat.
Thanks. I had a look at the spell book but I don't see the spells I had before. It doesn't matter... I'll learn as I go.

Interfectum

I’m playing The Dark Urge, Oathbreaker Human Paladin… this story is fucking nuts man. My main character is fucking crazy and I love it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hmmmmmm

Anyone know what this very rare bowl does?! All these mysterious items!!

rxXel9y.png

thuGG_pl

Ah FFS now I have some weird bug with Shadowheart romance. Basically the whole conversation and cutsceene simply cuts and shows camp sleeping, after a few seconds the screen goes black but it seems game still running in the background. It happens at random moment during the conversation.

EDIT:
Fuck, so I managed the to click through the cutsceen with her. But surprise surprise, during next dialogue when we wake up IN THE CAMP some thiefling guard arrests me for "threatening children", WTF?

EDIT:
Managed to click this through eventually. It's probably caused because I set the camp in the Druids Gove with Mol quest bugged. This whole Mol quest is a clusterfuck of bugs.

Last edited:

niilokin

I got my ass kicked by Anders for 4-5 times, until i changed Gale with Lae'zel and got a lucky consecutive crit strikes from Karlach and Lae'zel on him....
Same thing except glad I saved drow poison for that fucker, dude didn't even feel pain...

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
How is controller support working out? All the lets plays I've seen on the Youtubes are people playing with mouse and keyboard.

How is controller support working out? All the lets plays I've seen on the Youtubes are people playing with mouse and keyboard.
I tried using controller but I couldn't get the hang of it. Might suit others but I find it awful and I'm usually a controller kind of person. This game is definitely designed for kb/m first and foremost.

Gorgon

He talks about controller use here, since the video is about co-op and requires controllers for that:

EDIT: I don't know why the vid shows as unavaible here, second time this happens to me with youtube vids.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
I tried using controller but I couldn't get the hang of it. Might suit others but I find it awful and I'm usually a controller kind of person. This game is definitely designed for kb/m first and foremost.
I was hoping I could lazy play with my feet up in my recliner. I might have to move this into my main computer hunched over a desk instead. My butt dosn't like that much.

I was hoping I could lazy play with my feet up in my recliner. I might have to move this into my main computer hunched over a desk instead. My butt dosn't like that much.
yeah i wanted to lay back and chill with the controller but ended up going back to the kb/m on my desk. i can reach it but it does get uncomfortable. i might give the controller another shot but first impressions weren't great.

Gorgon

This is a good vid about stuff that is useful know from the start. One of the things he mentions I never heard before and is extremely important: unlike other RPGs, make sure all members of your party talk to an important NPC in turn. New dialogue options may show up. In one particular case, it triggered a cut-scene between one of the party members and the NPC, and it would not have happened if player had not tried to talk with the NPC with all the party members:

EDIT: and fuck these links again, don't know what to do for them to show.

Last edited:

Denton

It is ok. Not perfect by any stretch, but I still vastly prefer it over point and click top down mouse and keyboard controls. Interface is more immersive too, with much less stuff obstructing the screen, when using controller.

make sure all members of your party talk to an important NPC in turn.

Interesting. And annoying. I do not think I ever spoke to anyone yet with the others. I would assume they would just interject themselves or speak by themselves if there is anything else.

Last edited:

Filben

It's good. My only complain is that I always accidently zoom in and out when I simply want to turn the camera because the verical axis is very sensitive on the controller. And the left analogue stick isn't sensitive enough for my taste. I haven't checked the options yet for that.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Interesting. And annoying. I do not think I ever spoke to anyone yet with the others. I would assume they would just interject themselves or speak by themselves if there is anything else.

Yeah, I can imagine it being a bit annoying, but it does make sense.

Guilty_AI

This is a good vid about stuff that is useful know from the start. One of the things he mentions I never heard before and is extremely important: unlike other RPGs, make sure all members of your party talk to an important NPC in turn. New dialogue options may show up. In one particular case, it triggered a cut-scene between one of the party members and the NPC, and it would not have happened if player had not tried to talk with the NPC with all the party members:
Thats weird, my party members interject with some quips every once in a while when they're interested, or straight up take my place if they're really interested. Like with Wyll hunting Karlach I started dialogue with my custom MC but he immediately took my place on the talk since he was the most interested party.

I imagine there must be a few minor ones that only happen if you use then, either way i'm not bothering with this. This is the kind of game where you have to resign yourself to missing out on stuff already, better just walk the walk and not stress over minor things.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Thats weird, my party members interject with some quips every once in a while when they're interested, or straight up take my place if they're really interested. Like with Wyll hunting Karlach I started dialogue with my custom MC but he immediately took my place on the talk since he was the most interested party.

I imagine there must be a few minor ones that only happen if you use then, either way i'm not bothering with this. This is the kind of game where you have to resign yourself to missing out on stuff already, better just walk the walk and not stress over minor things.

I think that in most cases it's mostly dialogue options related to the companion's Background, Class, Skills/Proficiencies, etc. In those cases, your companions won't interject but the dialogue options will be available if they are the ones doing the talking.

Last edited:
My level 3 party made short work of that fight. My MC Paladin with Greater Weapon fighting did a divine smite on him for 32 damage with a great sword and that pretty much ended the fight.

On a separate note when I was in the basement of that fight I decided to go back to camp and you end up in a camp that is different from the default outdoor camp but an indoor camp area, only thing it might be bugged as Astarion and undead guy is missing from the camp.

amigastar

I have a question.
How do i use the Concentrated Blast (Illithid Powers) with Gale? It says it requires concentration. But i can't select it.
Edit: nvm i have to use a concentration spell and then use the Illithid Power.

Last edited:

geary

My level 3 party made short work of that fight. My MC Paladin with Greater Weapon fighting did a divine smite on him for 32 damage with a great sword and that pretty much ended the fight.

On a separate note when I was in the basement of that fight I decided to go back to camp and you end up in a camp that is different from the default outdoor camp but an indoor camp area, only thing it might be bugged as Astarion and undead guy is missing from the camp.
Yeah, the fact that the camp adjust to the terrain you are when you went to camp is a nice touch. I made camp in the owlbear cave and the camp was inside that cave with companions tents spread all over the cave.

Also, those that use HDR on a monitor, what settings are you using for Brightness and Contrast?

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Is this game better than Baldurs Gate 2?

I hope the NPCs can live up to BG2 level, not sure, but beyond the graphics and rule set differences, one of the largest differences is going to be BG2+ToB had your characters in the 30-40 level range, so the end game stuff you experience in BG2 is going to be ridiculously beyond what this game gives at level 14 or whatever the cap is. The 7th, 8th and 9th level spells of D&D are absolutely insane, and the non-magic classes are no joke either at those levels.

Guilty_AI

I hope the NPCs can live up to BG2 level, not sure, but beyond the graphics and rule set differences, one of the largest differences is going to be BG2+ToB had your characters in the 30-40 level range, so the end game stuff you experience in BG2 is going to be ridiculously beyond what this game gives at level 14 or whatever the cap is. The 7th, 8th and 9th level spells of D&D are absolutely insane, and the non-magic classes are no joke either at those levels.
Regardless of level caps, BG3 has over 600 spells and subspells. For comparison, Bg2 had around 200 i believe. So the game won't be lacking on cool stuff to try out at least.

Last edited:
Top Bottom