• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The side quest area in act 2 is absolutely superb. Just a string of great encounters that can go very differently. Also hit level 7 and I'm absurdly powerful, might have a go cranking it up to tactician.

34 hours since Thursday and I'll easily get twice that again out of one playthrough I reckon. This thing is unbelievably good.

Gorgon

I had a fallout with asterion since he wanted to bite me and suck my blood. But unfortunately I send him away and he left my party lol. What should I do ? :(

Fuck Asterion. The only thing that prick is good for is picking locks.

foamdino

Fuck Asterion. The only thing that prick is good for is picking locks.
Act 1 Asterion is a bit of a prick. He's my lockpicker and trap guy - also I kind of don't care too much if he get's clobbered around a bit in combat (teach him for trying to get his teeth on me). He does seem to hit way more than Lae'Zel does (in both melee & ranged) so although I'd rather get rid of him, his utility is just too great for my party.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Oh Astarion is extremely valuable party member. It's hard to part with him unless you're playing a rogue bard or ranger, IMO. I guess you could drop him and hire a rogue hireling, that would be an option. I want to give these characters a chance though because they do change as the story goes. I'm into Act 2 now and there have been some pretty significant developments for some of them including signs of changing personalities and values in a couple of the characters.

twilo99

Gold Member
If anyone is wondering how it runs on 6800xt/5800x3d I played it for about 40 mins all maxed out on 1440p and got this

The game is pretty, I like it

Guilty_AI

I'm about 5 hours in and am enjoying it so far, but I have to say that the game does a terrible job explaining it's mechanics. It's obviously aimed at someone already familiar with D&D, but for someone like me who has no experience with it, I find certain things very frustrating. For example, the game mentions proficiency, but doesn't tell you what advantages being proficient in a weapon or armor confers, or what penalties lacking proficiencies will cause. It's very difficult to try and make decisions with little understanding of how the system works.
There's an inspect mechanic that lets you check what every term means (by pressing T, you can also "stack" presses on the explanations).

If that also doesn't tell you what you want, google is your friend. DnD rules are not hard to research about.

foamdino

I thought I'd catch-up with what some of the streamers are doing now I'm a little further into Act 1:

Literally the first skill check and Cohh immediately re-rolls his character :)

I'm staying strong on accepting the dice rolls and not save-scumming to get a "winning" outcome, but sometimes it's so difficult to accept that you entered a conversation with the wrong character, or stumbled into an encounter you weren't expecting. It really does feel like every single choice has consequences - which makes the game so much more impactful.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I was originally rocking
Sorc
Wizard
Fighter
Cleric

Then realized how useless imo gale is. Tried wyll for a bit and found him even more caca. Threw in the Barb and that’s the secret sauce.

Act 1 so far feels like melee trumps magic in most fights. Helps they get way more armor, and with Barb & fighter now getting to act twice in one turn it’s way better than wizard.

I’m the sorc and if I rerolled I’d have gone some kind of melee class. (Paladin , Barb, fighter)

I’m now level 5, and have 5 parasites in a jar… tempted to eat them but I’ll hold off for now.

Think I basically have the underdark left to finish since I don’t plan to go the main road to the moon tower.

Fools idol

Banned
so I didn't realise that Lae'zel of whatever her name is was actually a proper companion.

I let her hang out in the cage right at the start of the game and she seemed to escape on her own. Then 10 hours later...

Then 10 hours later... she got killed by a dragonrider, rofl

The game has no fear to just off main characters and keep going

Guilty_AI

so I didn't realise that Lae'zel of whatever her name is was actually a proper companion.

I let her hang out in the cage right at the start of the game and she seemed to escape on her own. Then 10 hours later...

I killed her myself. The tramp had the gal to order me around in that position.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Is there a certain class recommended for beginners?

Not sure if fighter is still the go to for new to DND, but I would imagine that’s a safe bet.

Wizard is a good starter too or warlock IMO, but fighter and Barb are basic bitch easy.

marjo

There's an inspect mechanic that lets you check what every term means (by pressing T, you can also "stack" presses on the explanations).

If that also doesn't tell you what you want, google is your friend. DnD rules are not hard to research about.
Even with the inspect mechanic, many basic concepts are never explained. Searching would obviously work, but it makes for a pretty poor user experience. They could have done a much better job.

Playing this makes me wish this is what Cyberpunk 2077 was. a Cyberpunk game that is heavily based on the original pen and paper RPG. I’d love a crpg, isometric, solo and party based Cyberpunk game. I have played stuff like Shadowrun but I want one set in the capital C kind of Cyberpunk.

I like Cyberpunk but it’s nothing like BG3. Larian should get in touch with Mike Pondsmith and see if they can do it! CDPR could still make their own Cyberpunk games.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh so I’ve met the character that lets you respec. Didn’t realise that’s what he did. Not sure I want to respec yet until I figure how how my sorcerer works. People try explain to me but still doesn’t make sense. I’m too stupid lol

Playing this makes me wish this is what Cyberpunk 2077 was. a Cyberpunk game that is heavily based on the original pen and paper RPG. I’d love a crpg, isometric, solo and party based Cyberpunk game. I have played stuff like Shadowrun but I want one set in the capital C kind of Cyberpunk.

I like Cyberpunk but it’s nothing like BG3. Larian should get in touch with Mike Pondsmith and see if they can do it! CDPR could still make their own Cyberpunk games.

I've been thinking the same thing all day! The Ascent was close, but this is what Cyberpunk should've been. If only...

So spell “slots” are like ammo? When I cast a spell it uses a slot like firing a gun would use a bullet? Is that right?

I think that’s what’s been confusing me. Couldn’t they have used a better word like “charge” or “cast”? I was thinking a spell slot was a slot for adding or removing a spell. So when I created a spell slot I thought I could add a new spell to use but really it was just charging up another use on an existing spell.

Have I understood it correctly now?

So spell “slots” are like ammo? When I cast a spell it uses a slot like firing a gun would use a bullet? Is that right?

I think that’s what’s been confusing me. Couldn’t they have used a better word like “charge” or “cast”? I was thinking a spell slot was a slot for adding or removing a spell. So when I created a spell slot I thought I could add a new spell to use but really it was just charging up another use on an existing spell.

If you sleep to replenish ammo, yeah

Slots are how many spells you can use per rest and you will have a large variety of spells to use in a smaller amount of slots. You can use an existing spell multiple times with more slots or usea larger range of spells

Guilty_AI

they call it slot because you can change up amongst the available spells you have.

Say you have 4 lvl1 and 2 lvl2 spell slots, aka a total of 6 slots.
>If you have 10 spells available, you can only keep 6 spells alocated for use. To change which spells are those you must be out of combat (that means you can always prepare the spells you think are the best before entering any confrontation, assuming you're not getting caught off-guard).
>Having 4 lvl1 and 2 lvl2 spell slots means you can use only a total of 2 lvl2 spells before having to long rest. The other 4 are for exclusive use of lvl1 spells.
>You can also spend a lvl2 slot to use a lvl1 spell, so if you sacrifice the use of lvl2 spells you can use a total of 6 lvl1 spells before having to long rest. Higher spell slots follow the same logic for lower leveled ones.

Last edited:
I accidentally killed the druid boss (and her crew) and now the whole city has been slaughtered, tieflings and humans alike.

Where do I go now to sell my wares?? 😬 This game is insane.

Madonis

It's a relatively small detail, but I love how you can see the Ancient Temple from within Grymforge and together with the bits of lore that all works quite well as foreshadowing for much later.

geary

Owlcat, the devs behind Pathfinder games, do Rogue Trade, a crpg based in warhammer universe

Bry0

I'm kinda jealous of y'all enjoying this. I absolutely don't like turn based anything lol, especially with rolling dice or having to click through dialogue (most games have terrible writing). I do like action RPGs though ... Like dungeon siege, I wish they made another one. I remember having fomo with the divinity games but a lot of reviews said that game is like a job.

Who knows, maybe someone here can convince me I can get used to this and enjoy it? I like Diablo 4 (kinda, it's a bit repetitive and mindless) - I guess the main similarity is top down. Glad you are all enjoying this, seems like a real banger :)
I told myself the same things, bought it anyway cause of hype and it’s my goty so far. I have played 5th edition casually irl though so that helps.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I've been having a lot of fun speaking with fauna as a forest elf (or whatever they're called).

Still a bit perturbed by how little these Larian game designers seem to know about actual D&D rules, but it's fun.

samoilaaa

yeah i wish cyberpunk was as deep as CP77 , maybe the sequel will be

FireFly

I was originally rocking
Sorc
Wizard
Fighter
Cleric

Then realized how useless imo gale is. Tried wyll for a bit and found him even more caca. Threw in the Barb and that’s the secret sauce.

Act 1 so far feels like melee trumps magic in most fights. Helps they get way more armor, and with Barb & fighter now getting to act twice in one turn it’s way better than wizard.

I’m the sorc and if I rerolled I’d have gone some kind of melee class. (Paladin , Barb, fighter)

I’m now level 5, and have 5 parasites in a jar… tempted to eat them but I’ll hold off for now.

Think I basically have the underdark left to finish since I don’t plan to go the main road to the moon tower.
Gale is really good for crowd control since you can immobilise enemies with grease and then set them on fire. Add in cloud of daggers on top and you can completely wreck large groups of enemies. Plus at level 5 you can pick up fireball, which does 8d6 damage in a 6m radius.

jbortz78

Damn I was so not prepared for the fight with Anders and friends. Really stomped my ass the first 2 times, but then Gale stepped up as MVP for that fight😎

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I absolutely love that this game is doing so well and so many are enjoying it. I'm 100% going to pick it up to support but I'm trying to stay strong and wait until q4 time.

So happy for the studio and the players whomhave got everything they wished for.

Superb.

Oh man, this game really wants to kick you in the balls. Do all the side quests and level up if you can. You may bump into a scenario where you are guaranteed to get wrecked.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
forest elf (or whatever they're called).

how little these Larian game designers seem to know about actual D&D rules

Emotion Reaction GIF

They're pretty bang on with 5E from what my D&D friends are saying, obviously they make major changes for it to suit a video game.

geary

Not to spoil anything, but the place you discover under the goblin camp is meant to be explorable at level 4 or am i to low level for that?

AV

Not to spoil anything, but the place you discover under the goblin camp is meant to be explorable at level 4 or am i to low level for that?

I got the hell out at 4.

Fools idol

Banned
I absolutely love that this game is doing so well and so many are enjoying it. I'm 100% going to pick it up to support but I'm trying to stay strong and wait until q4 time.

So happy for the studio and the players whomhave got everything they wished for.

Superb.

A brave man volunteers for tribute.

Lol, good luck making it to Q4 without getting spoiled. This is doing Rockstar numbers

Pakoe

No way lmao. Friend of mine did the same and is stressing out because he thought he could get her out at a later time.
Now we wait untill he finds out she's been killed.

Fools idol

Banned
No way lmao. Friend of mine did the same and is stressing out because he thought he could get her out at a later time.
Now we wait untill he finds out she's been killed.

You have a chance hand at saving her, actually I fucked that up too as I rolled a 1. lol

So I found her arguing on a bridge with some other Giths and a dragon rider guy came down and roasted the lot of them, before having his ward kill her mercilessly after a few dialogue rolls. You can probably save her if you have enough charisma etc, I just didnt engage the combat and she fought htem and died on her own.

Last edited:

calistan

Somehow I've wound up with some useless white dog at my camp. I tried killing it but that made one of my party attack me (the others were happy enough to join in). Is there any way to get rid of it, like take it for a little walk in the woods? Just me and Scratch.
Got him! What I had to do was split the party up, then I could go back to camp on my own. Lae'zel was waiting there but I waited until Scratch wandered out of her sight, then did the deed.

I put Scratch to sleep first (I'm no monster) but unfortunately he woke up just before the acid hit. Surely nobody will notice.

S5KXt7M.png

Last edited:

AV

Got him! What I had to do was split the party up, then I could go back to camp on my own. Lae'zel was waiting there but I waited until Scratch wandered out of her sight, then did the deed.

I put Scratch to sleep first (I'm no monster) but unfortunately he woke up just before the acid hit. Surely nobody will notice.

S5KXt7M.png

Bear What GIF by hannahgraphix

Top Bottom