• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm more afraid now that I'll miss some of the best dialogue if I play her by myself.

Romances are only a teeny tiny fraction of the dialogue in the game, wouldn't overthink it.

I'd still recommend making your own character though and just rolling with her in the party. Her story is one of the biggest, best and most important of the companions, the same events will play out but I've had a LOT of unique Shadowheart dialogue by having her there.

Fools idol

Banned
I hope in the future we get some higher difficulty options and a permadeath mode.

Tactician has been a challenge but not near as tough as WOTR or even Divinity OS2 on highest settings.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I hope in the future we get some higher difficulty options and a permadeath mode.

Tactician has been a challenge but not near as tough as WOTR or even Divinity OS2 on highest settings.
DOS2 Tactician felt wayyyyy easier than this on Tactician, to me anyways.

WotR, yeah - that was hard AF on the hardest difficulty, next level haha..

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Permadeath is easy. Keep a single save, no reloads.

I'm doing a light version of this. Not permadeath, but if a character dies it's an instant reload, no exceptions.

AV

Thats just normal play. Or were you thinking of being a save scumming boor? 👿

No scumming necessary when Withers can just bring anyone back at camp, but I'm not playing that way!

AV

Is there a good way to get Camp Supplies? Where can i buy it?

All food counts as camp supplies. Just pick up food when you see it.

Are you on tactician? You must be long resting a hell of a lot to have run out, I've always got 400+ on normal.

amigastar

All food counts as camp supplies. Just pick up food when you see it.

Are you on tactician? You must be long resting a hell of a lot to have run out, I've always got 400+ on normal.
No i'm on balanced and i have about 190+ supplies but i thought you can never have enough supplies :messenger_grinning_smiling:

AV

No i'm on balanced and i have about 190+ supplies but i thought you can never have enough supplies :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Nah don't go looking for them, you automatically get given more at story intervals. I've got more than I'll ever use.

fuck it, i put the difficulty down to the story one :messenger_tears_of_joy: maybe i just suck but i come close to dying still.

today i helped the gnoll dude who was tied to the windmill. tried to walk my way through it but got into a fight. found that i could go down the well in blighted village so ended up in a spider place. i noped the fuck right outta there when i saw the boss lol. broke down a wall and got a quest to find some sassur (?) bark to craft something.

my plan was to find Kharlach but still not got to her yet lol and i realised i missed an area so going to back track.

so far my fav companions are astarion, shadowheart <3, and wyll. don't like Laezel or Gale. Think I'll like Kharlach when i find her.

Last edited by a moderator:

StereoVsn

I'm more afraid now that I'll miss some of the best dialogue if I play her by myself.
General recommendation by Larian is not to play an Origin character on the first play through. Except for Dark Urge as apparently that selection is fine.

Basically you are meant to use a custom character and go through variety of interactions with Origin chars. Then on subsequent playthrough you can play an Origin character and see through their eyes so to speak.

That said, this is going to be a 100+ hour game for me and I am not going to replay it for quite a while, so not sure the above line of thinking holds.

amigastar

fuck it, i put the difficulty down to the story one :messenger_tears_of_joy: maybe i just suck but i come close to dying still.

today i helped the gnoll dude who was tied to the windmill. tried to walk my way through it but got into a fight. found that i could go down the well in blighted village so ended up in a spider place. i noped the fuck right outta there when i saw the boss lol. broke down a wall and got a quest to find some sassur (?) bark to craft something.

my plan was to find Kharlach but still not got to her yet lol and i realised i missed an area so going to back track.

so far my fav companions are astarion, shadowheart <3, and wyll. don't like Laezel or Gale. Think I'll like Kharlach when i find her.
I'm 33 hours into the game and still could beat all the encounters on Balanced (Normal) mode. So far it was possible, but when i hit a wall i will be putting the difficulty down, though.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I'm kind interesting to know which are the differences between those 2 rulesets. Until now, the difference is with Bonus Actions in D&D5 and their type (throw, shove etc).

Also, if i am not mistaking, the new game from Owlcat, Rogue Trader is on a different ruleset as well.
I think it was mainly due to WotR having a tremendous variety of builds and the way feats are handled (and their quantity).

I am not particularly well versed in D&D 5, mind you, and BG3 is naturally limited in race/class/subclass choices due to all the interactivity and just sheer amount of dev work a lot more classes would require. Plus WotR was lvl 20+ campaign so you have all kinds of crazy buffs/spells going.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm 36 hours into the game and still could beat all the encounters on Balanced (Normal) mode. So far it was possible, but when i hit a wall i will be putting the difficulty down, though.

I'm on normal as well but only 14 hours in. Only died one time so far. In the hag's house....

Failed the test to see through the illusion masking the swamp so didn't see all the red caps outside. Was beating the hag pretty well before she bailed, but those red caps came in and wiped the floor with me and my son. Second time passed the test and we saw the red caps outside so decided to take them on first, which we did. My son had decided to bring some explosive barrels with him so he used those to take out a couple of red caps. lol....that was awesome.

Now we are in hag's lair looking for her. Such a fantastic coop game.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How do you guys manage the out of combat character stuff? Wandering around, I pick a Rogue character for finding traps. My main is a Rogue with decent deception, persuasion, and arcana so I've used him for most conversations, but dies anyone switch between characters to maximize proficiency checks? When in group mode walking around, does it really matter who is "in charge" for the purposes of perception, survival, or whatever checks?

Very surprised there isn't a pooled inventory. Tedious juggling scrap weapon and armor pickups around to use as barter currency (though I guess you could just liquidate them for cash, then use cash to buy items). What is the difference between "send to wares" and "send to camp"?

And I never got a "pick your junk" option. Did I miss it, or was it not an option for a halfling? His name is "third leg" and I'm triggered I couldn't represent him properly.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
How do you guys manage the out of combat character stuff? Wandering around, I pick a Rogue character for finding traps. My main is a Rogue with decent deception, persuasion, and arcana so I've used him for most conversations, but dies anyone switch between characters to maximize proficiency checks? When in group mode walking around, does it really matter who is "in charge" for the purposes of perception, survival, or whatever checks?

Very surprised there isn't a pooled inventory. Tedious juggling scrap weapon and armor pickups around to use as barter currency (though I guess you could just liquidate them for cash, then use cash to buy items). What is the difference between "send to wares" and "send to camp"?

And I never got a "pick your junk" option. Did I miss it, or was it not an option for a halfling? His name is "third leg" and I'm triggered I couldn't represent him properly.

I am with you, the idea that I can't see a person's inventory unless they are in my party is a quality of life fix I would like. I would also like to look and see whatever I sent back to camp at any time too. Looking at my entire inventory at all times would be helpful.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I'm on normal as well but only 14 hours in. Only died one time so far. In the hag's house....

Failed the test to see through the illusion masking the swamp so didn't see all the red caps outside. Was beating the hag pretty well before she bailed, but those red caps came in and wiped the floor with me and my son. Second time passed the test and we saw the red caps outside so decided to take them on first, which we did. My son had decided to bring some explosive barrels with him so he used those to take out a couple of red caps. lol....that was awesome.

Now we are in hag's lair looking for her. Such a fantastic coop game.

Wait..

You can go in the illusion swamp all the way to the cabin and everything looks dandy? Wow, i thought it was an automated cutscene

This game :messenger_smiling_hearts:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Send to camp sends items to your chest in camp. Send to wares marks your item.

When you get to a merchant, switch the mode from barter to trade (at the top of the screen when seeing his stuff), in trade mode you have an option to sell all your wares at once.
Ahh, so scavenged scrub weapons and such should be sent to wares for an easy sell? I guess I only used it for plates, cups, and stuff 'cause I thought we might set a table for a banquet back at camp :p

I need to read up on potions as well, either I've not collected enough of any 1 resource or I'm missing some part of it. Does this benefit from a specific skill or competency?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Send to camp sends items to your chest in camp. Send to wares marks your item.

When you get to a merchant, switch the mode from barter to trade (at the top of the screen when seeing his stuff), in trade mode you have an option to sell all your wares at once.

George Costanza Running GIF

My god, was it ever explained in a tutorial? I've been sending every shit to camp

Guilty_AI

I need to read up on potions as well, either I've not collected enough of any 1 resource or I'm missing some part of it. Does this benefit from a specific skill or competency?
Theres a pouch that stores all alchemical ingredients (as well as one for keys and camp supplies). There aren't a lot of them unless you go around collecting plants or gets to a kitchen or something. Pressing H opens up the alchemy menu (or just open your inventory and go through the tabs at the top)

Last edited:

amigastar

In "the old days" this game would have a fat spiral bound manual, a cheap cloth map, and probably a code wheel so some other shtick to justify buying it versus pirating.

I miss those days. These days you just get some lame figurine or something.
I remember Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis had this paper wheel against piracy and if i'm not mistaken Monkey Island 2 also.

AV

Yeah, you ideally want to be switching to characters to make appropriate checks, but you don't necessarily know what those checks are in advance. An obvious one is slight of hand / dex for lockpicks and traps, usually a rogue. In a lot of conversations you can switch character during the conversation to back out and do a check with somebody else, but not always. It's probably something that could be streamlined more and will more than likely get modded in if Larian don't.

The random checks around the world while you're walking, it doesn't matter who's "leading" because all characters will make that check when you're close enough. You should definitely have had a dick/vagene choice when you made your character if you have nudity on.

You wanna be using the "harvest all ingredients" or whatever it's called button in the alchemy window, just doing that will unlock recipes on its own and give you some of the stuff needed to make them. I've barely touched alchemy in my run since I haven't been picking up plants.

Fools idol

Banned
has anyone worked out how to kill that fucking burrowing monster in the under dark? the one that looks kind of like an armadillo? every time I get it down to 60% or so health it burrows and regenerates.

Guilty_AI

Another inventory management QoL tip for those who might not know.

You can select multiple items using ctrl+right_click or shift+right_click, it works very much the same as selecting files in your computer.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I remember Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis had this paper wheel against piracy and if i'm not mistaken Monkey Island 2 also.
Lots of games did back then. We used to break them apart and xerox them, so in my little group 1 would buy and the rest of us could play. Or they had the red filter plastic square to look for code words.

So quaint...

geary

has anyone worked out how to kill that fucking burrowing monster in the under dark? the one that looks kind of like an armadillo? every time I get it down to 60% or so health it burrows and regenerates.
It's a 2 part fight i think...After you get him to maybe half of the health, it burrows and meet it again later...
On the other hand, i didnt not killed the alien head near the entrance...it wrecked me and forget about it to go back later.

Last edited:
Another inventory management QoL tip for those who might not know.

You can select multiple items using ctrl+right_click or shift+right_click, it works very much the same as selecting files in your computer.
good tip but unless i'm being dumb this doesn't work when bartering. i have to drag each item over 1 by 1 :(

another issue that bugs me is that inventory doesn't auto sort/arrange. maybe there is a way to do it but when an item is sold/used it leaves a blank space and i need to go sort by latest/value/weight to get them all next to each other.

the game is great but could do with some QoL changes. i'm sure they are working on them though and we'll either get them in patches or the inevitable "Enhanced Edition" release.

Last edited by a moderator:

AV

good tip but unless i'm being dumb this doesn't work when bartering. i have to drag each item over 1 by 1 :(

another issue that bugs me is that inventory doesn't auto sort/arrange. maybe there is a way to do it but when an item is sold/used it leaves a blank space and i need to go sort by latest/value/weight to get them all next to each other.

the game is great but could do with some QoL changes. i'm sure they are working on them though and we'll either get them in patches or the inevitable "Enhanced Edition" release.

Double click spam is way faster for that if shift click doesn't work in trades, it'll move the next item under your cursor automatically so if you've got a load of junk in a row, just left click spam.

There's a "sort" button in the inventory to close those gaps, I usually do it by type.

I think I finished 1 around 50-55 hours. I liked Act 2 more, it was more grand in scale and objectives.
I'm only about 20 hours in and feel like I'm still at the very start of the game. Looks like I still have lots of map to explore yet before I guess I move on to Act 2. Could see myself spending another 20-30 hours easily.

AV

You hoarding that food. That should have a bandit mechanic it the game to try to rob the party in their sleep.

The thing is, some stuff does change in the world if you rest a lot. A fair few quests can advance or resolve themselves if you go to sleep a lot without finishing them yourself fast enough. It's very lenient but that can be enough to put people off resting too often.

On the flip side, people have reported that NOT long resting enough in Act 3 can cause the game to trip out in a few different ways because several different story advancements are tied to resting. Delicate balance.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If you have a candle in your inventory, you can drop it down and dip your weapon in it and boom....you have a fire arrow/sword/axe etc.
I think the enemy did this to me, shot a flaming arrow (of some type, unless there are classes that can do it as a cantrip or something) into an oil barrel behind me and BAM, TPK.

I, for one, HATE it when the computer has read the "dirty tricks" DnD manual :p

I kinda wish we had fixed isometric angles. There is SO MUCH stuff in the environment, it's hard to see line of sight, gauge clearance for ranged fire, movement, or AoE spells. For this level of tactical experience, I'd rather have a grid system and the old Gold Box TSR view. I've little doubt I will commit fratricide with fireball, early and often :p

Top Bottom