• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
OMG what!? You can stack a bag full of explosives and throw them on enemies?

Larian games are wild for this kinda stuff. Check out this <10m video on a guy completing DoS1 while killing no enemies except the 3 mandatory bosses by doing something very similar. Kills 2 by throwing an 11,000 pound chest at them and then dropping a nuclear warhead on the final guy.

Last edited:
It's a 2 part fight i think...After you get him to maybe half of the health, it burrows and meet it again later...
On the other hand, i didnt not killed the alien head near the entrance...it wrecked me and forget about it to go back later.
Maybe I was overlevelled - he never burrowed for me and I just killed him. It actually felt kinda anti-climactic.

StereoVsn

OMG what!? You can stack a bag full of explosives and throw them on enemies?

Apparently when you jump on somebody from a cliff they count your weight. So if you are a druid, use owlbear wildshape, then have someone cast enlarge and then jump, you can do hundreds of not thousands of points in damage.

Note that Owlbear form has a skill that lets you take no damage from falling but transfer damage to target AoE. Now, take that and put bunch more weight in the inventory before jumping (barrels)....

Fools idol

Banned
Just got the achievement for being done with act 1 after 40 hours.
Don't see any quests being failed, so I guess I'm safe with that.

It's been YEARS since I was this hooked on a game. I'm in my thirties now, the last time was probably around when I was 20.
right there with you. I'm 36 and honestly I have become a sweaty bedroom dwelling teenager again. My wife is getting pretty annoyed at this point.

StereoVsn

I think the enemy did this to me, shot a flaming arrow (of some type, unless there are classes that can do it as a cantrip or something) into an oil barrel behind me and BAM, TPK.

I, for one, HATE it when the computer has read the "dirty tricks" DnD manual :p

I kinda wish we had fixed isometric angles. There is SO MUCH stuff in the environment, it's hard to see line of sight, gauge clearance for ranged fire, movement, or AoE spells. For this level of tactical experience, I'd rather have a grid system and the old Gold Box TSR view. I've little doubt I will commit fratricide with fireball, early and often :p
Gale is the 7th leading cause of death to the players. 😉

I will admit to being a bit too AoE happy causing a reload or two myself, lol.

I need a way to play this when I’m not at my PC. I can’t stop thinking about it.

Hopefully the new PS5 comes out soon and I can finally pick one up and double dip.

Nickolaidas

tTfr6co.jpg

This game is love. This game is life. Lovelovelove

twilo99

Gold Member
The more I play the more I realize that this game doesn't really require high framerate to be enjoyable so I think I'll just cap it at 100fps. Is anyone else here doing that?

My 6800xt is pulling close to 300W with uncapped frames, and about 100W at 100FPS lol

iorek21

Gave in to the hype and got it despite not being really familiar to DnD and cRPGs in general.

I like the interactions and the overall story part, reminds me a lot of Dragon Age Origins (which I hear is inspired by the original BG games). Although I think I still prefer the depth of Disco Elysium for building your own personality within the game world.

My main gripe with it is the combat for now, feeling a little overwhelmed by its complexity. I guess I’ll get used to it after a while, but one thing that bothers me is that some encounters are like 4 vs 10 enemies and combat often starts with your team in a bad position.

It’s very easy to get gang banged specially since the enemy party can be more than 2x bigger than yours, meaning that even if one enemy misses, there’s big chance the other 12 foes can hit you.

Don’t know if it’s just me being a noob or if balance is a known issue, but it’s something that is bothering me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Hey folks. Loving the game, 18 hours in and I do believe I'll be playing this game for the rest of my life.

Question though: Alt-right click makes my character "point" at something, I'm assuming for multiplayer, which I'll never do; is there a way to disable this? I can't seem to find it in the options, perhaps I'm missing it.

Guilty_AI

Hey folks. Loving the game, 18 hours in and I do believe I'll be playing this game for the rest of my life.

Question though: Alt-right click makes my character "point" at something, I'm assuming for multiplayer, which I'll never do; is there a way to disable this? I can't seem to find it in the options, perhaps I'm missing it.
Why you want to disable it?

Guilty_AI

My main gripe with it is the combat for now, feeling a little overwhelmed by its complexity. I guess I’ll get used to it after a while, but one thing that bothers me is that some encounters are like 4 vs 10 enemies and combat often starts with your team in a bad position.

It’s very easy to get gang banged specially since the enemy party can be more than 2x bigger than yours, meaning that even if one enemy misses, there’s big chance the other 12 foes can hit you.

Don’t know if it’s just me being a noob or if balance is a known issue, but it’s something that is bothering me.
Just get an advantageous position before battle.

thuGG_pl

The more I play the more I realize that this game doesn't really require high framerate to be enjoyable so I think I'll just cap it at 100fps. Is anyone else here doing that?

My 6800xt is pulling close to 300W with uncapped frames, and about 100W at 100FPS lol
I'm on 4090 and I capped it at 60 fps to save some power.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I definitely need to figure out the QS hotkey to save more easily. It's so easy to run past an exploding mushroom or something and WHAM your entire party is tossed into the ravine :p

I figured out to put stuff like thieves tools into the hotbar since the game doesn't seem to have a lot of contextual clicking for some reason.

Or a fight you didn't even realize starts and a few of the party are hung up on terrain or whatever. I'd kinda like an option to have a single character "move" through the world and the party has "first row/back row" assignments when starting fights. Sometimes too much real world realism leads to a lot of micromanagement. Still, having fun.

Guilty_AI

I definitely need to figure out the QS hotkey to save more easily. It's so easy to run past an exploding mushroom or something and WHAM your entire party is tossed into the ravine :p

I figured out to put stuff like thieves tools into the hotbar since the game doesn't seem to have a lot of contextual clicking for some reason.

Or a fight you didn't even realize starts and a few of the party are hung up on terrain or whatever. I'd kinda like an option to have a single character "move" through the world and the party has "first row/back row" assignments when starting fights. Sometimes too much real world realism leads to a lot of micromanagement. Still, having fun.
You can right click on something too see all the actions available for that particular object. On party management, one thing i like using is the turn-based world movement option, really good for sneaking around guards and dealing with traps.

Sleepwalker

I agree, it runs fine so I just capped it at 165hz ultra settings.

/s

Bkdk

One of the biggest wish for the baldur's gate series is that wizard of the coast would let owlcat to make bg4. Perhpas letting different talented teams to create a title of this series would be the best for it going forward. Larian is probably tired of making balder's gate at this point too. Bet they are good with this 1 big venture and long dev time for a game and they want to be back on divinity original sin series.

Last edited:
Fantastic game.

My only real complaint is the loot. I always hate seeing so much junk. I need a mod for this.

And the "send to camp" option is pretty lame. I quit (ab)using it shortly after finishing Act 1. Either have encumbrance or don't.

Guilty_AI

Fantastic game.

My only real complaint is the loot. I always hate seeing so much junk. I need a mod for this.

And the "send to camp" option is pretty lame. I quit (ab)using it shortly after finishing Act 1. Either have encumbrance or don't.
If you mark any piece of loot as wares, you can insta sell all of it in any merchant you visit

NPCs are referring to my chacter as if it was a female. So, did I mess up during character creation or is it a bug? I can't seem to find any ingame info about my character's gender. Gaming in 2023. :rolleyes:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

60fps here, all on Ultra/4k, playing on 65" C1 OLED on couch, life is good.

Could be cause it's a TV (supports 120hz though), but I can't tell the difference with higher than 60fps.

twilo99

Gold Member
60fps here, all on Ultra/4k, playing on 65" C1 OLED on couch, life is good.

Could be cause it's a TV (supports 120hz though), but I can't tell the difference with higher than 60fps.

Its a very slow moving game so 60 FPS seems plenty, so I will too go down to that and save on power..

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
PSA: Don't forget to right click on some items in your inventory to see if there is a special action. I discovered a few things with certain objects that I didn't know what to do with. Sometimes good, sometimes... not that good but always fun haha

F5 quick save and F8 quick load. This is the first thing I looked at in the commands :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Yep I did that with my 4090, 100FPS is good enough with this game.

Guess I'm at a fight near/at the end of Act 2, but wtf.. difficulty spike seems absolutely massive.

Ketheric Thorm just destroys me.. I can barely hit him and he seems to do sooo much damage - plus the spider guy.. Any tips on this? Was hoping I could talk him down/out but no matter what it's a fight.

Okay, I tried a few more times.. The first times I tried the Moonmaiden was basically destroyed immediately. This time she was able to do amazing damage and did 1/3 of his health immediately while I destroyed the necromancer and turned undead. I bareeeely scraped by killing the drow, it was tough but I made it. What a difference the fate of the moonmaiden makes. Main thing is being stuck with no way to travel out of this area so there's no shops, can't even get a few health potions.. guess we'll see what this next part is like but the last couple hours of the game have drained some of my resources for sure.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
God damn it, everyone wants o fuck in my camp, but no such luck in a brothel I just visited.
NPCs are referring to my chacter as if it was a female. So, did I mess up during character creation or is it a bug? I can't seem to find any ingame info about my character's gender. Gaming in 2023. :rolleyes:
ResetEra gotta be loving this game.

Sounds right up the modern gaymers 'alley'...if you catch my drift....lol

Bunch of hypocrites on this site....rip the shit out of Era (rightfully so) then turn around and eat up this degeneracy. Not surprised at all though.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I have a bug right now where Shadowheart's armor won't populate, so she walks around in her underwear. Also several characters lost their underwear. Astarion did, unfortunately.

You sure you didn't toggle the camp outfits?

How do you guys manage the out of combat character stuff? Wandering around, I pick a Rogue character for finding traps. My main is a Rogue with decent deception, persuasion, and arcana so I've used him for most conversations, but dies anyone switch between characters to maximize proficiency checks? When in group mode walking around, does it really matter who is "in charge" for the purposes of perception, survival, or whatever checks?

Your entire party makes tests, not just the main character. XP is divided for all companions, including those you left at camp. Personally, I change party composition based on what I'm doing; if I'm going into a dungeon I take Astarion because of his picklocks/disarm traps skills. If I'm above ground I leave him at camp. If I need distance firepower I take Gale, if not I just take the girls, etc. You can always go to camp, change the party, and zap bacl to where you were, so this is totally doable.

Fools idol

Banned
I love how the plot is unfolding in Act 3. The conspiracies, the secret orders, it's intriguing as fuck. It also is very clear there are some deep secrets to the game that you probably wont discover until a good few playthroughs, and no doubt a lot of secrets in general that players will find doing wacky things in the world.

I am also wondering how many of the major areas can essentially be fast-tracked depemding on your choices and certain knowledge is obtained throughout.

Last edited:

calistan

Your entire party makes tests, not just the main character. XP is divided for all companions, including those you left at camp. Personally, I change party composition based on what I'm doing; if I'm going into a dungeon I take Astarion because of his picklocks/disarm traps skills. If I'm above ground I leave him at camp. If I need distance firepower I take Gale, if not I just take the girls, etc. You can always go to camp, change the party, and zap bacl to where you were, so this is totally doable.
There have been many times where my lead character fails the check and one of the others succeeds, but it's too late because somebody has already walked straight into a trap. As soon as I see 'perception check' flash up on screen that's the cue to instantly stop moving. (Is there a key for that?)

One QoL improvement I'd like is to be able to just swap characters in and out from the menu screen rather than have to go back to camp and talk to them.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
There have been many times where my lead character fails the check and one of the others succeeds, but it's too late because somebody has already walked straight into a trap. As soon as I see 'perception check' flash up on screen that's the cue to instantly stop moving. (Is there a key for that?)

One QoL improvement I'd like is to be able to just swap characters in and out from the menu screen rather than have to go back to camp and talk to them.

Iimmediately activatet turnbased mode to pause everyoens movement and then detach my disarmer from the group

Cyberpunkd

Nope, have that and if you really wanted the effect, grab the $10 matte screen protector, will be close enough.

Also, would you really play on the deck outside?
I bought the most expensive one a year ago but sent it back. So the cheapest is 419€ and I buy 512GB or something of storage - I saw Dell one for 100€, so still I will be 160€ ahead…

Last edited:
Top Bottom