• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

dok1or

53118316005_a5a042a26d_b.jpg

Denton

Tested third person camera mode, short demonstration:

Wonderful really. Shame it needs to be modded.

That said, it is still not ideal, camera needs to have collision with the ground implemented and zooming is not working well on controller (since the stick now controls pitch instead of zoom).

I hope the mod will get perfected or Larian just does it properly themselves, as they should have.

In other news, I am 85 hours in and exploring Shadowlands. Still having great time and expect around 200 hour total playtime.

link to the mod:

Last edited:
Tested third person camera mode, short demonstration:

Wonderful really. Shame it needs to be modded.

That said, it is still not ideal, camera needs to have collision with the ground implemented and zooming is not working well on controller (since the stick now controls pitch instead of zoom).

I hope the mod will get perfected or Larian just does it properly themselves, as they should have.

In other news, I am 85 hours in and exploring Shadowlands. Still having great time and expect around 200 hour total playtime.

link to the mod:

This mod is great. With a controller the right stick controls the camera and the pushing it down/pushing forward/backward zooms in a out. It really feels liberating now the camera is freer. You can see LOD pop-in now but it feels more like a 3rd person game now.

Denton

pushing it down/pushing forward/backward zooms in a out.
You mean pressing the right analog stick, and then, while it pressed, moving it up or down to zoom in or out? And this works for you?
Even if I put aside how insanely uncomfortable it is, it does not work for me - when I press the right analog stick, I just get the standard "see interactables". Or what am I missing?

Apparently when you jump on somebody from a cliff they count your weight. So if you are a druid, use owlbear wildshape, then have someone cast enlarge and then jump, you can do hundreds of not thousands of points in damage.

Note that Owlbear form has a skill that lets you take no damage from falling but transfer damage to target AoE. Now, take that and put bunch more weight in the inventory before jumping (barrels)....
This game..

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

The city is beatiful and bursting with life. The level od detail is immense, everyone has something to say, even the most basic NPC will have some spoken sentence.
Also the city is simply overwhelming, there are so many places to go, and they have some ladders, hidden entrances, sewers etc. It's a bit much for indecisive mind like mine.
And I didn't even see half of it.

Last edited:
You mean pressing the right analog stick, and then, while it pressed, moving it up or down to zoom in or out? And this works for you?
Even if I put aside how insanely uncomfortable it is, it does not work for me - when I press the right analog stick, I just get the standard "see interactables". Or what am I missing?
I just push the right stick down and push forward. In battles it takes some getting use to. Having used it for a few hours I'm sticking with it - feels really natural.

StereoVsn

What's neat about Owlbears is that they don't need featherfall and I think they can do enhanced fall damage to whatever they land on... That bypasses resistance I think.

Now, the key will be to carry enough barrels and chests to put together an impromptu cliff before every boss encounter! 😉

Last edited:
"The Selunites aided The Grand Design in Faerun by enlisting the help of Netherese Orb-casters but were caught off-guard when Gortasch disapparated his Chosen One's Mind Flayer purple monkey dishwasher."

Anyone else have trouble keeping the proper nouns straight?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"The Selunites aided The Grand Design in Faerun by enlisting the help of Netherese Orb-casters but were caught off-guard when Gortasch disapparated his Chosen One's Mind Flayer purple monkey dishwasher."

Anyone else have trouble keeping the proper nouns straight?
A lot easier to remember than Jack and Jill tbh

Wait, push forward meaning that same right stick, or left one?
Because if right one, how can that feel natural? It feels horrible.
And how do you view loot - also with that right stick?
Viewing loot is the same as you just press down on the right stick. It's only when you push the stick down and forward or back it zooms in or out. In combat it can be a bit cumbersome but it means you could see the battlefield a lot easier. It's not a perfect system (it clips into the ground if you go too low) but I'll live with the quirks for now. Oh and the deadzone has been improved meaning a far smoother and quicker response when turning the camera - default always seemed slow with no way to adjust it.

Last edited:

Skifi28

30 hours and Act 2 started...
Fantastic game!

53119657738_d6a54c636a_o.png

Auntie Ethel is happy!

53117173472_cb1836c595_o.png
How? I'm approaching 50 hours and still discover new stuff in act1. Almost level 7 now.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
How? I'm approaching 50 hours and still discover new stuff in act1. Almost level 7 now.

Different approaches to playing the game, that's the beauty. I'm at 70 hours and sort of closing in on the end I think. I've purposefully skipped a TON of content for my 2nd playthrough which I'll either do immediately or after Starfield.

You can totally spend 200 hours in one run and see everything possible. I'd just rather not hit max level in act 2 and that be it for the game. Also wanna do an evil bastard playthrough anyway but I'm not sure I could face two 160+ hour runs.

Last edited:

knguyen

Wil I like this game if I am not a fan of turn base games and never played one before? Anyone plays this for the first time and how do you like it?

Last edited:

naguanatak

Wil I like this game if I am not a fan of turn base games and never played one before? Anyone plays this for the first time and how do you like it?
I never liked turn based games. Never played one through, always fall off after a couple of hours max.
Still don't really like it, but if you try to be open it can be fun...and the rest of the game just makes up for it. The quality and pure love this thing oozes is insane. Just another level compared to the ouput of other devs/big games the last few years.
I am at 22 hours. Usually between 20 or 30 hours I lose some interest in a game or setting and need a change. And although I'm looking forward to Starfield I just wanna play more and discover whats behind the next corner or what the next conversation will bring to light. Really just old school gaming at its best :messenger_heart:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

You don't know if you're not a fan if you've never played on. It's D&D, it requires some patience and learning, but if you give it your time, it's the most rewarding thing I've played in... a long time.

Hugare

I've reached the first "point of no return" but it felt waaaay early for that (mountain pass, I believe)

Is it the end of Act I? If I go further, I cant go back to finish stuff?

Last edited:

Pakoe

I've reached the first "point of no return" but it felt waaaay early for that (mountain pass, I believe)

Not exactly. Finishing stuff depends on what quests are still open.
I had the ability to go back and finish some stuff, but those might've been semi side quests.
You get a prompt when you're about to enter act 2, this isn't that.

Last edited:

FireFly

Quests linked to locations should be ok, since you can still go back. But other quests might fail.

Denton

Viewing loot is the same as you just press down on the right stick. It's only when you push the stick down and forward or back it zooms in or out. In combat it can be a bit cumbersome but it means you could see the battlefield a lot easier.
Man, I just don't get it. On my end, if I push the right stick down and forward or back, it just pitches the camera anyway, not zooms it.
But even if it worked, having to move pressed analog stick is so unpleasant (to the point where it makes me feel like the stick is just gonna break) that I would not want to do it this way anyway.
Ideally the modder should move the zoom shift function to something like DPAD left. You use right stick to look up and down, and when you hold DPAD left, the right stick will instead have the original zoom in and out functionality. That would work much better for me.

AV

The actual mountain pass is a zone still in act 1. When you get to the end of that you can still turn round and do more act 1 stuff. There's two routes two act 2 but you can technically see all of both if you want.

DanEON

As a Barbarian, do you think it is worthy to reduce my Wisdom from 12 to 10 to add 1 point to dex, so it reaches 14. I will have better AC but worse Wisdom Save Throws.
Dex is better for barb, but I am sacrificing 2 points for 1.

Guilty_AI

As a Barbarian, do you think it is worthy to reduce my Wisdom from 12 to 10 to add 1 point to dex, so it reaches 14. I will have better AC but worse Wisdom Save Throws.
I say go for it, more dex will probably serve you better than a bit of extra wisdom.

And you can respec anyway, so if you ever come to regret it you can just change.

Doom85

Generally, D&D 5E min-max’ers focus on stats in this priority order:

#1: your main modifier stat for Attack or Support: Barbarian - Str, Bard - Cha, Cleric - Wis, Druid - Wis, Fighter - Str and/or Dex, Monk - Dex, Paladin - Str and/or Dex, Ranger - Dex, Rogue - Dex, Sorceror - Cha, Warlock - Cha, Wizard - Int
#2: the stat(s) that boost your AC
#3: Constitution

And then everything else. Check the skill list and decide which skills are most/least relevant to you based on the stats you have left. Like, when I played a Rogue, I had Strength as her lowest, as she used Dex to attack and boost AC, and for the skills only one is connected to Strength so it made sense to me to have it as the lowest stat.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Man oh man does this game has a ton of visual glitches and lack of cutscene polish during some conversations etc. It sure as hell wasn't ready for launch, no wonder they're working on a massive patch which should've been the launch version of the game in early september.
hasWII7.jpg
4GJIne3.jpg
Pu3h7NH.jpg
pL5fXQ8.jpg
M7avS2G.jpg
ddoTvyc.jpg
That's just the tip of the iceberg btw, there's plenty more examples.

Last edited:

Denton

In 95 hours playtime I had this problem literally only once, and that was when I had Halsin transformed into owlbear and cutscene started immediately after combat, so he obscured most of the screen the entire convo. I guess they could have coded it so shapeshifters would shift back for dialogues first.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Man oh man does this game has a ton of visual glitches and lack of cut-scene polish during some conversations etc. It sure as hell wasn't ready for launch, no wonder they're working on a massive patch which should've been the launch version of the game in early september.
hasWII7.jpg
4GJIne3.jpg
Pu3h7NH.jpg
pL5fXQ8.jpg
M7avS2G.jpg
ddoTvyc.jpg
only had these sorts of problems using dx11. After switching to vulkan i only remember it happening once.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
only had these sorts of problems using dx11. After switching to vulkan i only remember it happening once.
Yup, I'm plaing DX11 version. Will try and switch to Vulkan and report back after 20-30 hrs.

In 95 hours playtime I had this problem literally only once, and that was when I had Halsin transformed into owlbear and cutscene started immediately after combat, so he obscured most of the screen the entire convo. I guess they could have coded it so shapeshifters would shift back for dialogues first.
That's exactly what I was thinkging after seeing all this.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Just finished the game!

No, not really, got an alternative ending somewhere close to the end of Act 2.

Cool to have this option, but I want to kill those mofos myself :)

DanEON

Generally, D&D 5E min-max’ers focus on stats in this priority order:

#1: your main modifier stat for Attack or Support: Barbarian - Str, Bard - Cha, Cleric - Wis, Druid - Wis, Fighter - Str and/or Dex, Monk - Dex, Paladin - Str and/or Dex, Ranger - Dex, Rogue - Dex, Sorceror - Cha, Warlock - Cha, Wizard - Int
#2: the stat(s) that boost your AC
#3: Constitution

And then everything else. Check the skill list and decide which skills are most/least relevant to you based on the stats you have left. Like, when I played a Rogue, I had Strength as her lowest, as she used Dex to attack and boost AC, and for the skills only one is connected to Strength so it made sense to me to have it as the lowest stat.
should I be doing this with all my companions?

Top Bottom