• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The PC release date is August 3rd. I have it in early access, so I have the 1st act already downloaded. Does anyone know if the update to 1.0 will be allowed to download earlier than that or is the 3rd THE day to begin downloading? My internet sucks so wondering if it will end up being the 4th for me since it would then take a while to download. (since it is likely over 50gb add on.)

Luipadre

The PC release date is August 3rd. I have it in early access, so I have the 1st act already downloaded. Does anyone know if the update to 1.0 will be allowed to download earlier than that or is the 3rd THE day to begin downloading? My internet sucks so wondering if it will end up being the 4th for me since it would then take a while to download. (since it is likely over 50gb add on.)

I have a bad news for you. You have to redownload the whole game again with 1.0 release. Early access client and save is totally different

Last edited:

Gorgon

I feel like they took too many liberties with the system, I guess. Like I've said before, while it's probably going to be very good, it's not really a Baldur's Gate game, and with that many house-rules I'd argue at this point it's not even really a DnD game anymore either.
I also fail to see the relevence of getting to choose your pronouns or the size of your genitals (but no boob slider, heh) in a Forgotten Realm setting, but I'd probably get called a nazi biggot if I were to say that anywhere else than here, so...

1) A videogame adaptation of a table-top game into a videogame will always have to make consessions. There's no GM. Also, neither the original BG games, nor Planescape: Torment, nor Icewind Dale, etc were ever 1:1 adaptations of AD&D 2nd Ed either. For starters, the original Real-Time With Pause combat in BG completely changes gameplay and I don't see anyone complaining how off it was from AD&D.

2) The relevance of those things is simply acknowledging player diversity and allowing the fantasy of roleplaying a character, maybe even a projection of yourself into that world. That's important in a roleplaying game that allows character generation because it increases player connection. Given that Forgotten Realms as a setting was (and is) pretty mute about any of those things, it's OK. If we were talking about choosing pronouns for Henry in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, then I'd agree with you. In a game like BG? Go ahead.

I agree with the lack of a boob slider, though. And ass and tighs slider, for that mater. In fact, I'm not sure how much control you even have regarding the bodies in the editor. We've seen a lot about faces etc, but can I do, say, a muscular guy with a beer stomach? Can I make a dad-bod? Can I make a Sumo-like fighter? Can I make a regular fat guy/gal? I don't think so. Given the rest of the choices in the editor, it's kind of dissapointing. On the other hand, such body variety does create problems when it comes to using armor, clothing, etc assets in the game, so it's understandable.

naguanatak

Trust me, if they've kept up with DOS2's combat design standard it'll slowly become your favorite part of the game.

I played it with people who hated turn-based combat with passion, that then went on to become bloodthirsty murderhobos as they learned the ropes.

Played 4 hours. In the last hour, the combat started to grow on me, honestly. Didn't think it would be this quick and I might dislike certain things about it still if the difficulty or complexity starts to ramp up, but I'm slightly more optimistic after exploring the ruins in the beginning.
I really hope the controls translate well onto the controller, since I normally don't play on PC anymore and want to play it on PS5 come september.
Looking forward to being a bloodthirsty murderhobo :messenger_sunglasses:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So i've been reading about an option called Karmic Dice, and i think i should give a heads up on it here.

The option is under user settings, and what it does basically is create a "loaded dice" that decreases the chances of failing rolls too often. It was made with the intention of avoiding situations where you just keep failing over and over in a row which might feel frustrating for some players.

N09EzhZ.png

And indeed, in most situations, it'll help you, especially during dialogue. I imagine it must advantegeous to leave this on if you're a new player that doesn't fully know what he's doing.

However this option also works for enemy throws and combat. It can create unfair or unbalanced situations for specific builds, so if you do know what you're doing, or you just want the game to play more like it normally would, make sure to turn this off as its enabled by default.

Keep in mind this is all based on EA version. Not sure if there'll be any changes in the final game.
Great heads up mate - I only put in work on the EA in 2020, I've forgotten more than I remember so I probably would of thought I was a murdering king of combat until I turned this off haha - I wonder if there's going to be an extensive tutorial: this game will be intimidating for the casual....it's somewhat intimidating to me and I know BG1+2 intimately and know basic D&D 5e rules lol.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
1) A videogame adaptation of a table-top game into a videogame will always have to make consessions. There's no GM. Also, neither the original BG games, nor Planescape: Torment, nor Icewind Dale, etc were ever 1:1 adaptations of AD&D 2nd Ed either. For starters, the original Real-Time With Pause combat in BG completely changes gameplay and I don't see anyone complaining how off it was from AD&D.

2) The relevance of those things is simply acknowledging player diversity and allowing the fantasy of roleplaying a character, maybe even a projection of yourself into that world. That's important in a roleplaying game that allows character generation because it increases player connection. Given that Forgotten Realms as a setting was (and is) pretty mute about any of those things, it's OK. If we were talking about choosing pronouns for Henry in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, then I'd agree with you. In a game like BG? Go ahead.

I agree with the lack of a boob slider, though. And ass and tighs slider, for that mater. In fact, I'm not sure how much control you even have regarding the bodies in the editor. We've seen a lot about faces etc, but can I do, say, a muscular guy with a beer stomach? Can I make a dad-bod? Can I make a Sumo-like fighter? Can I make a regular fat guy/gal? I don't think so. Given the rest of the choices in the editor, it's kind of dissapointing. On the other hand, such body variety does create problems when it comes to using armor, clothing, etc assets in the game, so it's understandable.

Body wise, with all that's going on behind the scenes and the couch coop - I'm thinking it's a technical thing to adapt the huge amounts of armor and variables to sliders, but then again I'm just guessing here, but I don't think they're anti-slider in any way (especially with the schlong or vagay slider).

Gorgon

Body wise, with all that's going on behind the scenes and the couch coop - I'm thinking it's a technical thing to adapt the huge amounts of armor and variables to sliders, but then again I'm just guessing here, but I don't think they're anti-slider in any way (especially with the schlong or vagay slider).

I also think that's the reason, yes.

EDIT: On another note, one thing that I'm curious is if people who choose a Warlock will have some form of interaction with the entity that provides them their powers. Like, I'm probably going to go for a Great Old One, but will there be any kind of basic interaction with it? We know that one of the Origin characters who is a Warlock will have such interactions as part of the story, but what about a custom character? It's probably a lot of work in time and cost to implement, but it would be great. And I don't mean a whole storyline there, but just some kind of presence during gameplay.

Last edited:

ssringo

So...you have genitals meaning you can be naked, at least at some point. And Monks don't wear armor. Can I play through the entire game as a naked monk? Maybe even with the Dark Urge so I'm a naked murderous Monk?

Please?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So...you have genitals meaning you can be naked, at least at some point. And Monks don't wear armor. Can I play through the entire game as a naked monk? Maybe even with the Dark Urge so I'm a naked murderous Monk?

Please?
Second playthrough confirmed to be monk with nudity mod for me now, thanks :messenger_grinning_sweat:

ssringo

Second playthrough confirmed to be monk with nudity mod for me now, thanks :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Not played EA so genuinely don't know but apparently even the stuff in EA might completely change.

Personally not into the whole nude mod thing that happens in basically every game. I'm actually thinking more of an actual role playing run where people will comment on your nudity, maybe have party arguments where you defend your nude lifestyle, or you can't interact with certain people and have to find a different way to accomplish stuff.

Guilty_AI

I also think that's the reason, yes.

EDIT: On another note, one thing that I'm curious is if people who choose a Warlock will have some form of interaction with the entity that provides them their powers. Like, I'm probably going to go for a Great Old One, but will there be any kind of basic interaction with it? We know that one of the Origin characters who is a Warlock will have such interactions as part of the story, but what about a custom character? It's probably a lot of work in time and cost to implement, but it would be great. And I don't mean a whole storyline there, but just some kind of presence during gameplay.
From what i gathered, you will be able to have interactions with it but not much was said on how deep those interactions would be.

Gorgon

From what i gathered, you will be able to have interactions with it but not much was said on how deep those interactions would be.

Oh, that's great. Do you have links or something, I'd really like to check that out. I'm assuming some of that stuff wasn't on early access.

Guilty_AI

Oh, that's great. Do you have links or something, I'd really like to check that out. I'm assuming some of that stuff wasn't on early access.
Mostly from their forums

Catphish

Can anyone explain to me how multiplayer works? Specifically, how two people would play the game co-op?

Would the host control 3 characters and the friend 1? Would it be 2 and 2? Or would each player just control their own character (party of 2 instead of party of 4)?

Guilty_AI

Can anyone explain to me how multiplayer works? Specifically, how two people would play the game co-op?

Would the host control 3 characters and the friend 1? Would it be 2 and 2? Or would each player just control their own character (party of 2 instead of party of 4)?
Multiplayer works per campaign. Basically the host controls everything related to the save for that campaign, including character distribution between players (including characters other players might have built). He could even keep playing that save by himself in single player.

The character you create is also tied to the save. So if you - the host - create a character and your friend also creates his own character, you're still free to 'take' that character from him.

Gorgon

Mostly from their forums

The amount of work they've put into the game is insane. I don't think I'll be bothering with Starfield for a very long time. And that is without counting the mods that will come in the future. I may have to go PC again sooner than I thought.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

naguanatak

I feel like they took too many liberties with the system, I guess. Like I've said before, while it's probably going to be very good, it's not really a Baldur's Gate game, and with that many house-rules I'd argue at this point it's not even really a DnD game anymore either.
I also fail to see the relevence of getting to choose your pronouns or the size of your genitals (but no boob slider, heh) in a Forgotten Realm setting, but I'd probably get called a nazi biggot if I were to say that anywhere else than here, so...

The liberties they took I don't see as I played BG1&2 back in the day, but not much or for long. I'm not invested in it. Same for DnD, never knew people who played tabletop/pen and paper, so I have no reference and cannot compare.

Since my response to the second point got deleted I rephrase: I can understand where you're coming from.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So is Steam going to allow us to download the release version ahead of release or are we going to crash Steam on the 3rd?

Last edited:

amigastar

If I own the Steam/early access version do I need to delete that before or how does it work on release day?
Yeah, Larian recommends to delete the EA Version and install the fresh 1.0 version on release date.
Also there is no preload so you have to install it on Release Day (i know it sucks)

Last edited:

jbortz78

Yeah, Larian recommends to delete the EA Version and install the fresh 1.0 version on release date.
Also there is no preload so you have to install it on Release Day (i know it sucks)
Thanks for the quick response🤗.

Shame no preload but luckily I’ll be home with 1000/1000 fiver, instead of 50/10 at our country house☺️.

amigastar

Thanks for the quick response🤗.

Shame no preload but luckily I’ll be home with 1000/1000 fiver, instead of 50/10 at our country house☺️.
Yes, but i hope Steam doesn't crash with millions of people trying to download the game at the same time.

TheStam

Couldn't help myself and played some of the tutorial dungeon. This is going to be a brilliant game I'm sure.. The production values feel out of this world for a game of this genre and it seems the tone is a bit less whimsical than other Larian games. Nostalgia might play into it, but I also believe DnD can't be beaten as far as RPG systems go. And the depth seem to be there. Can't wait for the full release, was a long time since I was this hyped over a game.

I assume the game will have a tutorial? I'm new to the DnD genre. Loved both DOS and DOS2, but they are obviously quite different games.

Guilty_AI

I left him some Lamb chops in his mail box but he hasn't sent me one yet (that's NZ for "can I have a Steam Deck pls") 🐏
Thats an interesting custom. Here in BR we put on a mask, break their house's lock and politely take what we want to borrow, we don't even need to ask.

Top Bottom