• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm leaning towards Dark Urge, not sure about race, Warlock. I'm still reading up on everything (I didn't play EA except to see how it runs on my aging system), and the choice paralyzation is real!

That footage of it running on Steam Deck made my pants tent.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So this isn’t a Wednesday at midnight based on time zone steam release ? Damn.

I just read that, although we won't get a Hexblade subclass, Larian apparently gave (some of) their bonuses to Pact of the Blade; I'm temped to try a full CHA Warlock/Paladin now, although I have no idea about the specifics (how many levels in each, which subclasses, etc).

geary

In RPGs i often play Bow&Arrow class (hunter, ranger etc), but in BG3 i dont want to play a basic class. Ehat kind of class/race combination is fun, when main dmg is coming from bow&arrow?

ebevan91

I thought I was off on release day but it's next week I'm off on Thursday instead of this Thursday :(

Oh well. I get off work at noon, 2 hours after release at least.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Steamdeck verified on launch then?

Will BG3 Run on Steam Deck at Launch?

Yes, you can play Baldur’s Gate 3 on your Steam Deck at launch and it looks rad. We are aiming for Steam Deck Verified by August 3’s launch date. It launches on Steam Deck with what we consider to be the most optimal graphics settings, but feel free to play around. You’ll be able to avail of full controller support, and split-screen will be disabled on Steam Deck.

We recommend trying out your preferred method of antialiasing. We’ll continue to work on implementing FSR 2.0, but that will be closer to September 6.

Last edited:
In RPGs i often play Bow&Arrow class (hunter, ranger etc), but in BG3 i dont want to play a basic class. Ehat kind of class/race combination is fun, when main dmg is coming from bow&arrow?
Well certain races give you proficiency in bow so you could go with that then any class you prefer. Any class that gives you hellish rebuke would be good, but ya gottah think of the roleplaying too!

I thought I was off on release day but it's next week I'm off on Thursday instead of this Thursday :(

Oh well. I get off work at noon, 2 hours after release at least.
Better not forget to remote-install the game from your phone (if you're using the Steam app) during those 2 hours then!

Patrick S.

Banned
This game is in early access and I can buy it now and start playing right away, but there'll be a day one patch that will break compatibility with any early access save files, right?

Last edited:

Luipadre

This game is in early access and I can buy it now and start playing right away, but there'll be a day one patch that will break compatibility with any early access save files, right?

Yes and you also need to redownload the whole game so no point starting it now before 1.0 hits

Guilty_AI

theres footage?
df79eaaa745125f46e9bba8655baeee7e5a06366.gif

Fools idol

Banned

holy shit!!

So you can keep munching on those parasite things and become some sort of monster. I'm gonna be doing so many playthroughs

The Ilithid skill-tree is like an entirely different skill-tree adjacent to your character sheet that allows you to tap into Mind Flayer abilities… with a CATCH... you eventually become a monster with serious consequences for your playthrough

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

holy shit!!

So you can keep munching on those parasite things and become some sort of monster. I'm gonna be doing so many playthroughs

The Ilithid skill-tree is like an entirely different skill-tree adjacent to your character sheet that allows you to tap into Mind Flayer abilities… with a CATCH... you eventually become a monster with serious consequences for your playthrough

OMG. So many endings I want to see, Dark urge, illithid monster, goodie, evil (not dark urge level)..

holy shit!!

Jesus fucking christ larian throwing out spoilers days before launch

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m still totally unsure what to build. I suck at these kinds of RPGs. I followed a guide for divinity 2, and made it to act 2. It’s insane how much variation and content there is in just act 1 for the 20-30 hours I spent there.

Pillars of Eternity 1&2 I got 20 hours in .

Pathfinder 1&2 maybe 5-10 hours.(Legit don’t like these games as much as I want to)

Dragon Age Origins 1 I completed with all dlc.

—-

Going into BG3 I’ll give it the old college try.

Was thinking perhaps doing Dragonborn Oathbreaker Paladin, or Barbarian dual wielding axes.

Otherwise I could be basic and go Wizard or Sorc. Not sure why I would go one over the other. Tiefling likely if I pick either of these.

One reason I never go Barb in these games is they gain bonuses from not wearing armor and I hate that because I love getting new gear to play dress up and see what it looks like. Wearing the same rags from start to finish feels whack.

Based off the above can anyone enlighten me to perhaps make my decision easier for me on what I should do ?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
It's not early access = final game, very much different.
Think of it as early access is a beta unfinished, wipe, re-download real game 1.0, install and enjoy.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Not exactly a spoiler since you know from the very beginning thats what the tadpole does to you.
OMG....I'm theorycrafting so many playthroughs.

I just ......can't handle this wait.

I'm 3/4 way through BG2 madlly trying to finish (albeit not TOB) before kick off time.

Dad duties , meetings, work and general adult stuff somewhat hindering this plan of full time living in the Faerûn :messenger_grinning_sweat:

peish

some annoyance in EA is i cannot pick a better character to hold conversation, I guess i just have to use asterion as the lead, he can see better in dark, spot traps and better conversation roll?

also i feel abrupt with how the dice roll checked and continuing the conversation, like i missed the response line

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hopefully this runs well on a Linux distro. I’ve been trying my best to learn Linux, plus I have my Steam Deck. Currently have BG2 running on Mint using Steam Proton Experimental. The system requirements for BG3 don’t seem too extreme.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
From a gameplay perspective it's not like the turn based combat is all that difficult to wrap your head around, and you will start out at level 1 which gives you time to get accustomed to any class's abilities. I would approach it more from how you want to roleplay your main character, since there are a lot of interactions that will change based on your class, skills, and background. Just like in a tabletop session, go with the roleplay idea that most appeals to you.

I don't see a drunken robot option...

Sentenza

Damn, that kinda sucks. I wanted to roleplay as my main character instead of leaving the dialogue to others. Charisma Barb here we go, I guess.
I can't tell how familiar you are with this edition of D&D, but I think people should be warned of a couple of things:

- Multiclassing in 5e is more often than not absolutely detrimental to a character and outside of few "broken" combos that synergize well, there are good chances you are going to gimp yourself by using it. I'm not the most expert on meta-combos, but "Bard-barbarian at first glance sounds awful.
- It's basically impossible to get a single class character wrong. As long as you don't purposefully gimp their main attribute, pretty much any 1-to-12 single class will always be competent.
- NO ONE should get into this game with the impression that having a charisma-focused class is what's necessary to get a whole bunch of custom dialogue options. The game throws at you a boatload of dialogue options specific for many races and classes, even if they aren't supposed to the charismatic one

Last edited:

Gorgon

I can't tell how familiar you are with this edition of D&D, but I think people should be warned of a couple of things:

- Multiclassing in 5e is more often than not absolutely detrimental to a character and outside of few "broken" combos that synergize well, there are good chances you are going to gimp yourself by using it. I'm not the most expert on meta-combos, but "Bard-barbarian at first glance sounds awful.
- It's basically impossible to get a single class character wrong. As long as you don't purposefully gimp their main attribute, pretty much any 1-to-12 single class will always be competent.
- NO ONE should get into this game with the impression that having a charisma-focused class is what's necessary to get a whole bunch of custom dialogue options. The game throws at you a boatload of dialogue options specific for many races and classes, even if they aren't supposed to the charismatic one

I'll add to that that Swen has stated that failing rolls e.g. in dialogue etc should not be seen as failures like we've been traditionally conditioned to in RPGs, especially cRPGs, and that they went out of their way to ensure that the consequences of failed rolls are always interesting narratively speaking and lead to all sorts of interesting consequences. He has used a term now common in TTRPGs: "failing forwards". This is why he's been harping on "trust the dice".

Hugare

according to a friend of a friend, Larian is allowing their whole team up to 8 weeks vacation time after launch, to be taken at any time. There is a small dedicated team working on post-launch bug fixing and balance patching.

The amount of crunch necessary in order to make a masterpiece like this ... I can't even imagine. So they deserve a good rest.

It will probably be buggy af at launch, but I dont even care, so was TW 3 at launch and I loved every minute of it

Just saw their last announcement saying that there'll be a mind flayer's skill tree in case you decide to become a monster

This game is just nuts in scope

Guilty_AI

I'll add to that that Swen has stated that failing rolls e.g. in dialogue etc should not be seen as failures like we've been traditionally conditioned to in RPGs, especially cRPGs, and that they went out of their way to ensure that the consequences of failed rolls are always interesting narratively speaking and lead to all sorts of interesting consequences. He has used a term now common in TTRPGs: "failing forwards". This is why he's been harping on "trust the dice".
Based on what he said and an example he gave, I'll also add that, in turn, succeding a roll may not result in a good outcome either.

Sentenza

Fair warning: do not go in expecting to play this game with a Mass Effect/Dragon Age third person camera.
That is NOT an option.

These gifs are in fact borderline misleading. While you can zoom the visual very close to your character and frame it almost like in a third person game (as the clip shows) and while playing with a controller will give you direct control of your selected character rather than point-and-click... The game STILL remains fundamentally a top-down isometric game and that close camera is not really particularly viable for exploration and stuff. You'll never able to "look" above ground level, for a start, and moving up the camera-stick just makes the camera more distanced from your character and goes back to your more typical top down view.

Last edited:
honestly playing this game on a small screen sounds like a nightmare. i'd never play this on a Deck or even PS5. The game is primarily designed for keyboard/mouse and large screens.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fair warning: do not go in expecting to play this game with a Mass Effect/Dragon Age third person camera.
That is NOT an option.

These gifs are in fact borderline misleading. While you can zoom the visual very close to your character and frame it almost like in a third person game (as the clip shows) and while playing with a controller will give you direct control of your selected character rather than point-and-click... The game STILL remains fundamentally a top-down isometric game and that close camera is not really particularly viable for exploration and stuff. You'll never able to "look" above ground level, for a start, and moving up the camera-stick just makes the camera more distanced from your character and goes back to your more typical top down view.
Thanks for the truth. That gif is a tease.

phant0m

honestly playing this game on a small screen sounds like a nightmare. i'd never play this on a Deck or even PS5. The game is primarily designed for keyboard/mouse and large screens.
i would say the same except i played DoS II on Switch and it was fucking awesome

yes it was 30fps (barely) and yes the graphics looked like trash compared to PC but having 4 people sitting in my living room all playing together (one person on the big screen, the rest handheld) was such a blast. it's basically d&d session without the paper or DM.

Last edited:

Pakoe

Man, I don't do preorders anymore and don't really have time for a RPG but this game is kinda getting me hyped.
If it turns out to be as good as it sounds, I might buy it just to support the devs and play later on.
Absolutely loved DOS2 and this is looking even better.

Last edited:
Just assumed I'd be waiting for PS5 launch. Steam Deck didn't even occur to me, but if it runs okay I'm gonna be super tempted to just grab it this week...

Gorgon

So hype I cant stay focus on ffxvi, will probably replay Alan Wake 1 or some shit.

I was hyped for Starfield. At this moment I think I may play SF when it goes on sale for 30-40 bucks, because BG3 will take over my life.

i would say the same except i played DoS II on Switch and it was fucking awesome

yes it was 30fps (barely) and yes the graphics looked like trash compared to PC but having 4 people sitting in my living room all playing together (one person on the big screen, the rest handheld) was such a blast. it's basically d&d session without the paper or DM.

That soumds awesome.

Man, I don't do preorders anymore and don't really have time for a RPG but this game is kinda getting me hyped.
If it turns out to be as good as it sounds, I might buy it just to support the devs and play later on.
Absolutely loved DOS2 and this is looking even better.

I haven't pre-ordered a game for maybe 8 years and have harped against pre-orders in this digital age as pointless. I confess I couldn't hold myself and pre-ordered BG3. Also, I want Larian to make it big and this is my way of helping them, because I want more devs pushing the boundaries of cRPGs.

Just assumed I'd be waiting for PS5 launch. Steam Deck didn't even occur to me, but if it runs okay I'm gonna be super tempted to just grab it this week...

I would have bought the Steam version if the Mac version was released along with the PC one, but it is delayed. But I'll probably buy the Mac version later, both to help Larian's sales and for the mods. Mods are going to be insane. (Or at least I hope they'll be.)

Top Bottom