• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I may buy due to hype but idk about turn based games anymore. Sometimes D4 feels slow. This is another level of slow haha

Doom85

What is everyone playing? I am thinking either monk/fighter or monk/cleric.

I’ll be playing my first D&D tabletop character, so a Dwarf Rogue named Anna. Knowing the character creation process is supposed to be pretty varied, I’m hoping she’ll be able to look how I imagined her when I was playing with my friends.

Guilty_AI

The continuation of the story of Joseh, my Elden Ring character

xyiWYjD.jpg
l1udFUw.jpg
3R9dPBW.jpg

After travelling through the stars for an unknow period of time, he found himself in another dimension, his dreams haunted by visions of Ranni. Did she even ever existed? Was his quest on the lands between real at all?

No clue about class, probably fighter or warlock.

Last edited:
For those that have been playing, does the game have a good amount of hidden secrets to find? Whether it’s secret doors, hidden treasure or collectibles?

Guilty_AI

For those that have been playing, does the game have a good amount of hidden secrets to find? Whether it’s secret doors, hidden treasure or collectibles?
Yes, there are also hidden stuff behind dialogues and characters, like not killing an enemy resulting in later interactions with him.

I'm new to D&D. I have played a little (really tiny) bits of BG1, Pillars, Neverwinter but that's it. Yesterday I watched that new D&D movie which I really enjoyed. I already bought BG3 but now I'm even more excited after seeing the movie.

I was going to be boring and do a human play through but might go Half elf or Tiefling now. Won't know until I mess about in the character creator for about 5 hours lol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tons and tons and tons. 200 hours into -early access- and still finding new secrets.

mxbison

Still not sure about this one.

I like turn based combat but Divinity 2 was quite overwhelming with all the different resistance and damage types. Didn't enjoy it as much as simple X-Com style turn based combat.

Fools idol

Banned

For first run I'm either going to play dark urge origin first run or my go-to Sorcadin (sorceror with some paladin aspects).

For runs after that I'm going to play something like Bard because Larian has promised it will be a very different game.

At 4 in the morning I'm doing cardio before heading off to work. But I hope you're right :messenger_winking:
I hear that in the beginning, when they're just helpless babies there is enough time for oneself because they basically just sleep assuming it's not a screamer :messenger_face_screaming:
Once she is older I actually want to put in the time and be there so I have to scale down my gaming time. Here's hoping she comes after me reagarding video games :messenger_sunglasses:

Another question on topic:
I'm leaning towards playing a monk come release. As I understand it, monks can't wear armor at all. Does that mean I'm going to play the whole game (100+hours) in the same outfit?
First six months is easy (don't say that to your wife/gf though!). The next two years is brutal on your time, so make sure to only play games you really want to during that first bit. Congrats.

niilokin

Dark Urge Assassin, either human or black dragonborn... what bugs me about the dragonborn are that they have the same mannerisms as humans and elves and might feel like just some dude in a lizard suit...same reason I can't stand playing Argonians or Khajiit in Oblivion and Skyrim. Wish their bodylanguage was like Predator or something.

Last edited:
Still not sure about this one.

I like turn based combat but Divinity 2 was quite overwhelming with all the different resistance and damage types. Didn't enjoy it as much as simple X-Com style turn based combat.
You should play jagged alliance 3 then, xcom style combat with some rpg elements

...then play bg3 after cause it's going to be the GOAT

Edit: Also I don't think the countdown in the OT is correct

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not sure whether to treat my smooth brain to a fighter main with a sword and board for 100 hours, or go deeper on a druid.

Skifi28

How does dialogue work as a party? Do you have to decide which character handles a conversation beforehand or can you have all conversations with your main character and just switch to a specific party member for a roll and then back to your main? I'd rather avoid putting points on charisma as a barb.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not sure whether to treat my smooth brain to a fighter main with a sword and board for 100 hours, or go deeper on a druid.
From a gameplay perspective it's not like the turn based combat is all that difficult to wrap your head around, and you will start out at level 1 which gives you time to get accustomed to any class's abilities. I would approach it more from how you want to roleplay your main character, since there are a lot of interactions that will change based on your class, skills, and background. Just like in a tabletop session, go with the roleplay idea that most appeals to you.

JMZ555

I'm going Zariel Tielfing for extra smite spells, fire resist and thaumaturgy cantrip.
Paladin Oath of Vengeance, no multiclassing. Going to pick defence fighting style for +1 AC as prob drop shield.
Want 2H reach weapon. Will take polearm master feat at level 4. Then boost Strength to 20 via ASI at levels 8+12.

I'm ready....

Gorgon

Reposted from another thread/post:

Sex/Gender & Sexual Preferences: probably male, maybe female, but into girls anyway

Race: Human

Other #1: Dark Urge

Background: either Sage or Hermit

Class & Subclass: Warlock, Great Old One

Other #2: Starting proficiency will include Intimidation. At Warlock Level 2 I'll choose the Eldritch Invocation "Beguiling Influence", so that I can also get the Persuasion proficiency (I want the latter badly). This is a very high Charisma design (I always go for high CHA characters).

This isn't a build based on min/max but instead based on character concept for actual roleplaying motivation. I have a relatively clear vision of who the character is as a person, his/her background, what he/she stands for, etc. That's what I always go for in RPGs: character concept first, mechanical advantage/disadvantage considerations second (and only a few considerations for the latter).

Unfortunately I'll have to wait for the PS5 version, but the above is the plan.

From a gameplay perspective it's not like the turn based combat is all that difficult to wrap your head around, and you will start out at level 1 which gives you time to get accustomed to any class's abilities. I would approach it more from how you want to roleplay your main character, since there are a lot of interactions that will change based on your class, skills, and background. Just like in a tabletop session, go with the roleplay idea that most appeals to you.

This. It's what what I've doing in every cRPG for decades, never had any problem. Otherwise it becomes a roll-playing game instead of a roleplaying game. There's a reason why I don't care two shits for Diablo.

How does dialogue work as a party? Do you have to decide which character handles a conversation beforehand or can you have all conversations with your main character and just switch to a specific party member for a roll and then back to your main? I'd rather avoid putting points on charisma as a barb.
Whoever speaks to the npc first is the lead and does the rolls. Everyone else can only listen.
I'd say go druid, unless you're planning to kick Lae'zel out of the party

Edit: Draugoth Draugoth you mind updating the countdown? It's launching 8am pst

Last edited:

Hugare

Will there be controller support for steam on Thursday?
As someone who wants to co op this thing with my gf, I'm also very excited for controller support being added in

I've been terrible at keeping distance from the game until release. Played more of it yesterday, and fell in love a little bit more.

Met a squirrel that bit my leg and we had a staredown lol

Tried to loot that necromancer dungeon and got my ass kicked really fast. Got away from that and met a new companion and saved some dudes running from goblins.

The voice acting have been pretty awesome so far. A standout compared to other RPGs, specially of this size.

Hundred of years better than any Bethesda voice acting

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'd say go druid, unless you're planning to kick Lae'zel out of the party

Druid then. I think D&D systems always look a little intimidating from a distance but it's only a darn video game and DoS / BG1/2 weren't that complex.

Skifi28

Whoever speaks to the npc first is the lead and does the rolls. Everyone else can only listen.
Damn, that kinda sucks. I wanted to roleplay as my main character instead of leaving the dialogue to others. Charisma Barb here we go, I guess.

Last edited:

ssringo

No clue what I want to play first other than NOT sword n board. I kinda want to run a scantily clad sculpted body punch Monk but haven't heard if you get unique dialogue/options going the pseudo streaker route. Kinda also want to play a powerful Wizard/Sorcerer since Blizzard shat on mine in D4.

All I know own for sure is I want to romance Jaheira. I know chances aren't in my favor but I'll hold out hope until she shuts me down (or Larian confirms).

Damn, that kinda sucks. I wanted to roleplay as my main character instead of leaving the dialogue to others. Charisma Barb, here we go I guess.
Yeah I'm honestly thinking of going bard/barb cause I love to crush my enemies and see them driven before me, but love dialogue options and music as well

Luipadre

Im glad this is getting controller support day 1. Controlling characters with the stick will feel like dragon age.

Gorgon

Druid then. I think D&D systems always look a little intimidating from a distance but it's only a darn video game and DoS / BG1/2 weren't that complex.

That's the spirit. The complexity of the game has more to do with wanting to take into account best builds, using the mechanics to max numeric effect, etc. The difficulty of getting into these games is highly exagerated.

Damn, that kinda sucks. I wanted to roleplay as my main character instead of leaving the dialogue to others. Charisma Barb here we go, I guess.

Well, what sense would it make to have the equivalent of an idiot doing the talking and then have someone else in your party doing the charisma/persuasion rolling. Gotta choose, man. You let an idiot do the talkin' you get idiot consequences 🤷‍♂️

All I know own for sure is I want to romance Jaheira. I know chances aren't in my favor but I'll hold out hope until she shuts me down (or Larian confirms).

I'm gonna try to bang her too. I'm into motherly types :pie_grinning_sweat:

Skifi28

Im glad this is getting controller support day 1. Controlling characters with the stick will feel like dragon age.
My plan is to use a controller for general exploration/dialogue and just switch to mouse for combat. I didn't like mouse and keyboard in divinity 2 either, the camera controls felt weird and cumbersome when compared to other crpgs. Having immediate control of your character felt just right.

Skifi28

Well, what sense would it make to have the equivalent of an idiot doing the talking and then have someone else in your party doing the charisma/persuasion rolling. Gotta choose, man. You let an idiot do the talkin' you get idiot consequences 🤷‍♂️
Dunno, the picture I had in my mind was me doing the regular talking and my party interjecting when necessary. Now I'll have to stare two extra hours at the character creator screen trying to decide, oh the humanity

Last edited:

Gorgon

Just want a woman close to my own age

Sad Peanut Butter GIF by For Everest

I feel you. Jaheira is probably closer to my own age than any of the others.

Dunno, the picture I had in my mind was me doing the regular talking and my party interjecting when necessary. Now I'll have to stare two extra hours at the character creator screen trying to decide, oh the humanity

Yep. Choices, choices.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I can't decide between a bard or a Great Old One Warlock.

I do wish to be able to handle myself in conversions as in combat. I am a big Lovecraft fan though.

Hmmmph. Choices, choices.

Guilty_AI

I can't decide between a bard or a Great Old One Warlock.

I do wish to be able to handle myself in conversions as in combat. I am a big Lovecraft fan though.

Hmmmph. Choices, choices.
Larian said they'd be adding the ability to create a full custom party, so you could make one characters for conversation and another for fighting.

Top Bottom