• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
honestly playing this game on a small screen sounds like a nightmare. i'd never play this on a Deck or even PS5. The game is primarily designed for keyboard/mouse and large screens.
I'd hazard as to say a REALLY large screen and controller is pretty amazing too.

Source: I play all my CRPGs on controller now in the lounge on the 65" OLED, it's so glorious I forgive the sluggish cursor controls on a controller.
I must say moving your team/PC with the stick feels better than clicking a mouse ever does though - and I have a glorious KB+M too ... so I'm not a hater by any means.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I played divinity on playstation and it was perfectly enjoyable. And indeed, on a 65 inch OLED. I pre-ordered this on ps5 and I'm sure it will play just as well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought it on Steam and I’m happy with that choice. I still hope it doesn’t bite me in the ass because of FOMO and being super hyped up. 😆

Ozriel

M$FT
honestly playing this game on a small screen sounds like a nightmare. i'd never play this on a Deck or even PS5. The game is primarily designed for keyboard/mouse and large screens.

Keyboard, i understand. But Isn’t your PS5 more likely to be hooked up to a bigger display than your PC?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Some recommendations that were given to Early Access players:

>Boot up your game and delete all save files
>THEN uninstall the game.

That way you're sure to avoid any possible conflicts between the versions.

Keyboard, i understand. But Isn’t your PS5 more likely to be hooked up to a bigger display than your PC?
My PS5 screen is muucchh larger/higher quality than my PC screen, which is still adequate.
Plus the home theater+5.1+The damn couch.

Sure I could wire this all up to my PC for BG3 but it's a hassle. However, ive decided I cannot wait for the PS5 release so that's exactly what I'll be doing.

Edit: I quoted the wrong per..

Last edited:
I wonder if this gonna be a 100 or 200h game just to finish the campaign. A part of me wants to play a crpg, but i don't wanna be the next 3 months playing the same game

Fools idol

Banned
Reviewers received codes yesterday and are playing the full version now.

A couple of early impressions from discord (spoiler free , im on blackout for story content now)

- bugs with animations and shadows but otherwise stunning visuals and art design
- Some surprise as more Baldurs Gate 2 characters appear in the story
- Tactician is very very hard (as it should be lol)
- There is a dice setting called Karma dice or something that seems a little broken, needs balancing
- combat deep as expected. News spells amazing to combine
- dwarf tossing is OP

Thats it for me bois, going to see you on the other side of release day

Sentenza

Karmic dice don't need balancing, it's an option that needs to be deactivated because it's a stupid idea to begin with.
That aside, yeah, it's currently broken, too.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Reviewers received codes yesterday and are playing the full version now.

A couple of early impressions from discord (spoiler free , im on blackout for story content now)

- bugs with animations and shadows but otherwise stunning visuals and art design
- Some surprise as more Baldurs Gate 2 characters appear in the story
- Tactician is very very hard (as it should be lol)
- There is a dice setting called Karma dice or something that seems a little broken, needs balancing
- combat deep as expected. News spells amazing to combine
- dwarf tossing is OP

Thats it for me bois, going to see you on the other side of release day
Yeah, very much what i was expecting. Too bad about the karmic dice not being fixed, guess i'll just disable it after all 🤷‍♂️

Sentenza

I know people who wanted to use it, weren't for the armor class issues.
"We'll help you avoid failing a roll more than once by 'smoothing the odds' in your favor" is such a stupid, patronizing idea.
Learn to take your low rolls like little men and march on, rather than sit and whine over it and beg for the devs to help you.

(not talking specifically to you, it's a generic "you").

Guilty_AI

"We'll help you avoid failing a roll more than once by 'smoothing the odds' in your favor" is such a stupid, patronizing idea.
Learn to take your low rolls like little men and march on, rather than sit and whine over it and beg for the devs to help you.

(not talking specifically to you, it's a generic "you").
The guy i was refering to is a dungeon master, he said this kind of option can help the game flow better, especially since videgames can only have pseudo-random rolls.

Either way, with the armor class issues, its better left turned off.

Guilty_AI

hornier-than-the-bear-scene-v0-uw7jnvyglofb1.jpg

And plenty will come indeed

Gorgon

Gaffers... I have given up hope in being able to wait for the PS5 version, where I already have it preordered.

Decided to compare prices on Steam vs GoG only to see "in your library."

I apparently preordered the early access on GoG THREE YEARS AGO and 100% forgot.

oh happy day.

I pre-ordered it on PS5 but I'd buy it today on Steam too if the Mac version was coming out now along with the Windows version. So, it's misery for another month for me.

But I'm happy for you, mate. Enjoy.

Skifi28

Gonna have to remote download tomorrow, I hope I have the energy to play when I'm home from work at night.

Doom85

Either way, with the armor class issues, its better left turned off.

What’s the AC issues? Did they nerf or buff how AC is generally calculated in 5E?

I admit I was sad to hear (according to people on Reddit) they removed Expertise from the Rogue class’ features. Still going to play my Dwarf Rogue as my first character, but I’m going to miss having that +6 to Stealth and Perception at Level 1.

Guilty_AI

What’s the AC issues? Did they nerf or buff how AC is generally calculated in 5E?
Its a problem that happens specifically with the Karmic Dice option turned on. Basically because of the way Karmic Dice works, it turns any tanker build inviable, as it drastically increases the chance of receiving critical hits as the armor class goes up.

Just make sure to turn it off, which is closer to what DnD should play like anyway.

Doom85

Its a problem that happens specifically with the Karmic Dice option turned on. Basically because of the way Karmic Dice works, it turns any tanker build inviable, as it drastically increases the chance of receiving critical hits as the armor class goes up.

Just make sure to turn it off, which is closer to what DnD should play like anyway.

Gotcha. Thanks!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How overwhelming will this be for someone who hasn't really played a proper CRPG before? I've played WRPGs (Witcher series, Bethesda stuff, etc), but none of the previous BG games or anything.

Also, is this a direct sequel where you should have played the previous entries first, or is it standalone in the same world?

Also, is this a direct sequel where you should have played the previous entries first, or is it standalone in the same world?
Completely independent, to the point that it could almost not be called Baldur's Gate at all. A couple of NPCs are back, and it happens in the same region of the same universe, but there's no narrative link to BG1 and 2 (that we know of).

Guilty_AI

How overwhelming will this be for someone who hasn't really played a proper CRPG before? I've played WRPGs (Witcher series, Bethesda stuff, etc), but none of the previous BG games or anything.
It has its degree of complexity with mechanics and meta, but similar to bethesda rpgs it'll also try to make your life easier and not feel too overwhelming. There are "storymode" difficulty levels as well as quicksaves to let you experiment.

No, standalone story in the same world, with some references and companion characters from previous games returning.

ssringo

Gonna be a learning curve depending on how familiar you are with DnD mechanics. But as long as you don't roll up on the hardest difficulty out the gate you can learn as you go. Will have to read them tooltips though! And don't worry about "failing" dice rolls and checks. Failure can also lead to fun outcomes.

Same world but 100 years in the future. Knowledge of previous games will enrich the experience but is not required. Can watch a 30 minute story recap on YouTube to get an idea of what went on.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Completely independent, to the point that it could almost not be called Baldur's Gate at all. A couple of NPCs are back, and it happens in the same region of the same universe, but there's no narrative link to BG1 and 2 (that we know of).
That whole last Orin the Red trailer had links all over the show, Bhaal time baby!

There is a narrative link, but this game takes place more than 100 years after the events of BG2, so intimate knowledge of the previous game is not necessary, the game will retell you what ever information that you need to know.

I wonder if this gonna be a 100 or 200h game just to finish the campaign. A part of me wants to play a crpg, but i don't wanna be the next 3 months playing the same game
I go into massive games knowing I may not beat it for years, if at all, these days. TotK is amazing, I'm not close to beating it, and no idea when I'll get back to it. I'll likely buy this (hell, probably double dip) knowing I will probably never see the credits roll. I may not even beat Act I before getting distracted by Armored Core and Starfield. I just want to see what the hype is about and play a genre I am completely new too. Just stop playing if you're done with it. Don't force yourself to play for 3 months. Play it when you want too.

Top Bottom