• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banning sport jerseys, sleeveless shirts, backward baseball caps = RACISM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seth C

scola said:
Its not a club

So they don't want to drink, they're just there to loiter? :)

Bottom line: If you can afford to be dressed, you can afford to be in dress code at this place. They aren't requiring a tux.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Seth C said:
So they don't want to drink, they're just there to loiter? :)
If by loiter you mean possibly pass through the street to an establishment on the other side, or even contained therein, that does not require the same dress code, then Yes.

Though I have never been to the location and don't have sufficient information to judge it as such.

Seth C

scola said:
If by loiter you mean possibly pass through the street to an establishment on the other side, or even contained therein, that does not require the same dress code, then Yes.

Though I have never been to the location and don't have sufficient information to judge it as such.

Look, on those nights of the week the street is effectively an outdoor club. People are going to have to deal with it. Go one street down. Come on.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Seth C said:
Look, on those nights of the week the street is effectively an outdoor club. People are going to have to deal with it. Go one street down. Come on.
I am not arguing about the simple nature of getting around it (as you have argued it isn't difficult). And I don't necesarily think its totally wrong. But that doesn't mean there isn't arguing room in a case of this affecting one group more than another ;)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
then I'd ask for a "public road voacher," some sort of tax rebate since I can't use the road I helped fund.

It's not exactly loitering...There are places to sit @ 4th Street Live, there are these big ass TV screens in the middle of the court where you can watch TV, there's a lot of shit there (and more developing). You don't have to go into the club in order to check out the scene.

Some people just wanna come through and see what it's all about. It's funny because the POLICE officers working the street let us in how we were dressed at first. We were just walking around checkin out the scene and some fat ass bouncer came over and was like, "could you remove the wave cap sir". We're like, "the police and the other bouncers let us pass with no problems," but he insisted that he remove the wave cap. So, we just left. I don't need that BS. Someone didn't feel comfortable, and probably asked the guy to come over to have him take off the cap.

The racial tensions are high in this city than they have been over the past few years. I for one hate turning things into race or black and white issues. I just think it's BS that they are overly strict on a public place that we -- as the poster above me stated -- helped pay for with our tax dollars.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Dress codes are dress codes. I enforced them all the time at the bar and nobody gave me shit. Not twice, anyways.

If you want to cater to a certain clientele, you ban certain forms of dress in the hopes that people will dress up for the occasion and make the place a little classier. It's not rocket science.
Unless a settlement is reached, Coleman said, anyone offended by the dress code should take their money elsewhere.
That's exactly how it should work. If you don't feel like putting on some slacks and a decent shirt, go to a different club and spend your money there.

levious

bish,

an important part is that this affects a public street, not just an establishment.

I really don't understand the hubbub over dress code. If you have the money to spend on a lawyer, you certainly have the money to buy 4 nice shirts and some slacks. And if the ACLU wins this case, the alternative a bar or restaurant can pull is having "Private Parties" every week.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
JeffDowns said:
It's not exactly loitering...There are places to sit @ 4th Street Live, there are these big ass TV screens in the middle of the court where you can watch TV, there's a lot of shit there (and more developing). You don't have to go into the club in order to check out the scene.

Some people just wanna come through and see what it's all about. It's funny because the POLICE officers working the street let us in how we were dressed at first. We were just walking around checkin out the scene and some fat ass bouncer came over and was like, "could you remove the wave cap sir". We're like, "the police and the other bouncers let us pass with no problems," but he insisted that he remove the wave cap. So, we just left. I don't need that BS. Someone didn't feel comfortable, and probably asked the guy to come over to have him take off the cap.

The racial tensions are high in this city than they have been over the past few years. I for one hate turning things into race or black and white issues. I just think it's BS that they are overly strict on a public place that we -- as the poster above me stated -- helped pay for with our tax dollars.
This is what I was referring to when I said I didn't understand the full context of the street itself. The landscape (physical and cultural) has a large bearing on how I view the rule.

EDIT: V V V Bingo.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't have an issue with people wanting to walk through the area - it's a public thoroughfare - but I was under the impression that the ACLU was bitching because the people actually wanted to go inside the clubs, restaurants and shops despite the dress code. Blocking off the street entirely to anyone wearing a backwards cap or whatever isn't right, but when it comes to the private establishments, I've got no sympathy.

JeffDowns said:
Are you guys reading? Or no? This isn't a club, it's a big ass street.

I read it, and it affects the street three nights out of the week. I still don't see any problem with it, because it is exactly like what the mayor said in that article, it's like a private event/street festival, and they've taken measures to protect their investment.

I just can't understand this concept. Why is it, that people don't understand when they are not wanted, and yet they keep coming back. It's the same as when people get banned from here, constantly bitch on other avenues, then create accounts to try to come back. Unlike GAF, the Fourth Street Live situation gives you a chance to change clothes, get dressed, and move on.

Seth C

WasabiKing said:
I read it, and it affects the street three nights out of the week. I still don't see any problem with it, because it is exactly like what the mayor said in that article, it's like a private event/street festival, and they've taken measures to protect their investment.

I just can't understand this concept. Why is it, that people don't understand when they are not wanted, and yet they keep coming back. It's the same as when people get banned from here, constantly bitch on other avenues, then create accounts to try to come back. Unlike GAF, the Fourth Street Live situation gives you a chance to change clothes, get dressed, and move on.

Louisville citizens need to realize this is how things work in actual real BIG CITIES. Just a few years ago in Los Angeles I attended Microsoft's E3 party. They had the entire street blocked off and you weren't allowed to use it if you did not have an invite. Didn't think a thing of it. Move on.

levious

it's a little different though, it's not a private event, they're not diverting traffic for a special event... they're making specific restrictions three times a week.

Seth C

levious said:
it's a little different though, it's not a private event, they're not diverting traffic for a special event... they're making specific restrictions three times a week.

Which makes it a special event, three times a week. :) They aren't closing it 24/7, right?

levious

eh, I can see your argument, but come on, did you really read JeffDowns story of "please remove your Wave cap sir" on the street and think this was at all reasonable?

edit - no lawsuits yet, they're still talking about it I think.

Seth C said:
Louisville citizens need to realize this is how things work in actual real BIG CITIES. Just a few years ago in Los Angeles I attended Microsoft's E3 party. They had the entire street blocked off and you weren't allowed to use it if you did not have an invite. Didn't think a thing of it. Move on.

Agreed, but Louisville is becoming a real BIG city, or at least they're TRYING too, and this won't help their cause if they reject their own citizens, ya know? I just think it's kinda petty. I don't have a problem with dressing professional, or biz casual, it'a a nice change of pace for sure. I can respect both sides of the arguement I suppose. I think lawsuits and whatever they're trying to do is a little overboard tho.

people pay full price for official merchandise, hats and sneakers???

i guess when you don't have connections...

anyway, it's obvious what they're trying to do...

if people were smart, they'd just (a) lawyer up or (b) play along with the rules and just be disruptive in khakis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom