• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Vire

So I'm really confused in regards to the story right now, I'm wonder who has passed this point can clarify:

So I just go to the point where the Kid reaches the forest and has the vision from the smoke he inhales, it takes you on a whirlwind trip through all these different areas. I was a bit confused at what was going on at that point, is this a major significance to the story and narrator? Will it be clarified later? Thanks!

TheOddOne

IronRinn said:
Don't know how I feel about this game yet (I just got to the
first of The Kid's dreams
). It looks beautiful, the sound design, voice acting, and the music, especially, are fantastic. The actual game, though, I'm finding a little tedious. Also, I wish I could switch the A and B buttons. I lost count of how many times I hit A in order to melee and dodged instead. Not the game's fault, but I can't seem to get it straight in my head.
You can later on.

Not sure what the issue is but if you download the trial and then buy the game, you'll lose your save so far and will have to restart the next time you play. CheayD posted it on twitter and I just checked my game and had no progress but had the first achievement.

I'm digging the combat, it's surprisingly complex but I think a lot of the intricacies aren't explained all that well. I use to get disappointed that I was getting hit a bunch but I now think the combat is less Zelda and more Torchlight\Diablo in nature, especially with the amount of enemies on the screen at times. With that perspective it's helped me enjoy the game that much more.

LiK

Roddslayer said:
I'm digging the combat, it's surprisingly complex but I think a lot of the intricacies aren't explained all that well. I use to get disappointed that I was getting hit a bunch but I now think the combat is less Zelda and more Torchlight\Diablo in nature, especially with the amount of enemies on the screen at times. With that perspective it's helped me enjoy the game that much more.
The Proving Grounds are great. They do a good job at teaching you without telling you.

eshwaaz

I'm just over an hour in, and so far the gameplay is my least favorite part of Bastion. The art style is beautiful, the music is excellent and the dynamic narrator is a great idea executed brilliantly. The combat, though, has left me pretty flat. It's not particularly fun or satisfying to me, partially due to the fact that everything in the game, whether it be object or foe, disappears in the same kind of generic puff of smoke.

The presentation and overall charm will definitely keep me playing, but I'm hoping I'll find the fun soon.

eXistor

eshwaaz said:
I'm just over an hour in, and so far the gameplay is my least favorite part of Bastion. The art style is beautiful, the music is excellent and the dynamic narrator is a great idea executed brilliantly. The combat, though, has left me pretty flat. It's not particularly fun or satisfying to me, partially due to the fact that everything in the game, whether it be object or foe, disappears in the same kind of generic puff of smoke.

The presentation and overall charm will definitely keep me playing, but I'm hoping I'll find the fun soon.
Pretty much in the same boat as yourself. The style and presentation is top-notch, but I'm not really feeling the gameplay right now. It just comes across as adequate. I'm having fun though, just clearly not as much as everyone else seems to be having.

eXistor said:
Pretty much in the same boat as yourself. The style and presentation is top-notch, but I'm not really feeling the gameplay right now. It just comes across as adequate. I'm having fun though, just clearly not as much as everyone else seems to be having.
I'm also in the same boat. Everything else was very impressive but gameplay alone was dull and boring. Won't spend 1200 on this unfortunately.

LiK

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I'm also in the same boat. Everything else was very impressive but gameplay alone was dull and boring. Won't spend 1200 on this unfortunately.
Tutorial levels are never exciting. Oh well, see ya.

legbone

tjohn86 said:
Finishing all these proving grounds is gonna drive me insane.

How far in are you? I thought there was no way I was going to be able to pull them off at first. Then I started upgrading the weapons and (i'm almost scared to say it, fearing i will anger the bastion gods) they are actually feeling pretty easy. The breaker bow one is a cinch as was the repeater's. Not sure about how hard the later ones get but most feel pretty doable once i got the hang of it. the shield one is pretty much practice and memorization. oh, and playing a little matador, heh heh.

edit: and i might as well say it, deus ex now has some competition for game soundtrack of the year in my opinion. the music in this is amazing.

legbone

LuchaShaq said:
Is there enough shards/blue coinish things to upgrade everything?

i'm not sure. kind of doubt it the way my playthrough is turning out. but it doesn't matter because there is a new game plus. great feature that every game should have. i love how they used it as a bulletpoint on the screen after you finish the demo. i call it the last ad screen (as in, here's one last ad to make you grab the game before you leave). don't know what it's really called.

Havok

Really surprised that people are saying that the combat doesn't feel up to snuff. I'm going through NG+ with a bunch of idols now and it's sublime. If the slow ramp up in combat in the demo kept you from buying, it gets much better, even just after the demo cutoff.
LuchaShaq said:
Not in one playthrough, no.

Vire

LuchaShaq said:
Technically yes, since you can play some optional challenge rooms over and over and farm them. But if you just play through regularly it won't be enough.

DJ_Lae

For weapons, the
mortar
is so goddamn satisfying.

It's amazing how much easier the dream sequence battles are with upgraded weapons, or maybe some of it due to the weapon types and my particular play style. Struggled with my first attempt, absolutely laid waste the second without having to use more than a single bottle (and I had enabled some of the totems).

I love the "Kid took a drag - went out like a light."

The "time to crate" in this game is off the charts. This is a game where as soon as the dude finishes smashing a huge pile of crates with a hammer, another huge pile of crates falls out of the sky, ready to be smashed.

I've decided that Bastion is actually a game about a garbageman with a hammer, who lives at the bottom of a Tetris pile.

zam said:
According to the in-game leaderboards at least 29,000 people have bought Bastion.
I have played more tonight and the game is amazing and it looks amazing come on people everyone who is on the fens BUY THIS GAME !!!
That nr has to go UP!!!!

Emitan

Guys, do I really want to wait for the PC version or just buy it now? Because I really want to play it and having no idea when the PC version is coming out is killing me.

zam said:
Question regarding new game+, do vigils reset?
someone said they don't, but thats not entirely true.

the first vigil for building the memorial resets, as does the vigil for getting 1st place in at least 7 proving grounds, collecting 20 mementos, and rebuilding the bastion. why those in particular i don't know.

The more I play this, the more I like it. I think it's not as omg as critics claimed, but it's definitely a very good game that is pretty addicting. 8/10-ish.

Rabbitwork said:
the first vigil for building the memorial resets, as does the vigil for getting 1st place in at least 7 proving grounds, collecting 20 mementos, and rebuilding the bastion. why those in particular i don't know.

Goddammit. I guess I better take care of these on my first playthrough.

ReiGun said:
LOL @ Megaman not making the top part of the ranking. But fucking Firebrand did? C'mon son.

Tron nerfed, MML3 canceled, and no Megaman. Somebody at Capcom is really pissed off.

no angel

Roddslayer said:
Any word on the soundtrack and if it will be released?
I was literally coming to post this, thanks for the heads up Lik.

This would be the first videogame soundtrack I'd buy, make it happen Supergiant!

Awesome stuff! Feels a bit like an unreleased late SNES or PS1 Square-published title back before they went sour on trying to do new things. Only real complaints I have are all to do with the auto targeting for the machete blade throw and the target cycling feels inconsistent and frustrating. I didn't have any real problems with this in the main campaign areas I've gone through, so far, but those optional challenges really put some serious strain on the targeting behavior. Just lined up power shots on the bow challenge to get first with five or so shots, but that machete challenge is just frustrating me a little as I cannot seem to get in under the 90 seconds necessary to claiming the second prize.

MightyHedgehog said:
but that machete challenge is just frustrating me a little as I cannot seem to get in under the 90 seconds necessary to claiming the second prize.
First thing to do is to get in the center of the area and kill all the green dudes as they spawn in. If you don't they run off and far away, guaranteeing you'll never get anywhere near 1:30.

LiK said:
Tutorial levels are never exciting. Oh well, see ya.
But you still get an idea of the mechanics. I suppose I didn't give it enough time and like i said its a beautiful game with a great soundtrack. Considering how little I play my Xbox these days its hard to justify buying it.

LiK

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
But you still get an idea of the mechanics. I suppose I didn't give it enough time and like i said its a beautiful game with a great soundtrack. Considering how little I play my Xbox these days its hard to justify buying it.

the beginning is VERY simple. but the amount of enemies later in the game is insane and you get way more weapons and special moves. i found the combat to be a lot of fun and challenging from what i played so far.

TheOddOne

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
How does not playing enough on the Xbox justify not buying this game?

LiK said:
the beginning is VERY simple. but the amount of enemies later in the game is insane and you get way more weapons and special moves. i found the combat to be a lot of fun and challenging from what i played so far.
Well thank you for the heads up on it. Maybe I will give it a shot, finish the demo and wait For the PC version if there is one?

@TheOddOne

It doesn't justify it because I don't play my Xbox a lot and would hate to buy it and end up not finishing it. Pretty simple explanation. Like I said if and when a PC version comes I would definitely be more like to pick it up.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
First thing to do is to get in the center of the area and kill all the green dudes as they spawn in. If you don't they run off and far away, guaranteeing you'll never get anywhere near 1:30.
Yeah, I tried that a few times, rolling away from turret shots and hacking away at those squirts. Guess I'll just have to refine my technique. The machete throw targeting while the screen is cluttered with enemies makes taking out those pop-up turrets for a one-shot kill very time consuming, but even with just one or two enemies somewhere on-screen, the damned thing tends lock to one fast-moving squirt. It's a bit aggravating also to feel like trying to compensate for their movement when trying to hit them with the machete throw does nothing. I guess that I just have to practice more and be more deliberate with my timing.

LiK

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Well thank you for the heads up on it. Maybe I will give it a shot, finish the demo and wait For the PC version if there is one?

sure. i guess maybe the demo should've had a challenge room to show how good the combat can get.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
It doesn't justify it because I don't play my Xbox a lot and would hate to buy it and end up not finishing it.

If you play your Xbox for five to seven more hours you'll be able to finish Bastion.
Can't be that difficult eh?

PepsimanVsJoe said:
If you play your Xbox for five to seven more hours you'll be able to finish Bastion.
Can't be that difficult eh?
Funny I barely play a fucking hour. Last time I actually played a game on it was two months ago. Not sure why this is difficult for people to understand. I would be more likely to play it on PC.

TheOddOne

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

@TheOddOne

It doesn't justify it because I don't play my Xbox a lot and would hate to buy it and end up not finishing it. Pretty simple explanation. Like I said if and when a PC version comes I would definitely be more like to pick it up.

TheOddOne said:
No offense, but thats a really vague excuse. Not finishing a game is on you, the same thing "excuse" your using can be applied to the PC version.
This is the last time I'll address my personal gaming habits. I play most games on PC. Almost all my games. Sometimes PS3 games but whenever a PC version is going to be available that's what I go with. For many reasons.

TheOddOne

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
This is the last time I'll address my personal gaming habits. I play most games on PC. Almost all my games. Sometimes PS3 games but whenever a PC version is going to be available that's what I go with. For many reasons.

Top Bottom