• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Draft

Am I crazy, or is this game running at some weird sub 30fps frame rate?

A couple sections in the demo, especially the second part after the bar, felt very... stiff? Jerky? I mean, the controls stay responsive, but the way the game renders on the screen just feels funky.

LiK

Draft said:

A couple sections in the demo, especially the second part after the bar, felt very... stiff? Jerky? I mean, the controls stay responsive, but the way the game renders on the screen just feels funky.

i did not encounter any slowdown or framerate issues at all in the full game. never tried it as a demo.

Lunchbox

Banned
LuchaShaq said:
Dislike most of the super hyped xbla games
Tomb Raider/Limbo/Braid/Shadow Complex

Still glad I bought this after I got a 20$ points card for 12$ last week. Have had alot of fun so far, and the narrator is much better than I expected it to be even after watching all the giantbomb coverage.

I don't think I'm buying anything else this summer except Toy soldiers.
how the fuck do you hate shadow complex?

Gaspode_T

(Still not reading the thread to avoid spoilers)

Seriously don't watch any videos of this game or you will spoil a good part of it, I'm so glad I'm experiencing the quips of the narration for the first time because some of them are pretty funny and magical in a way.

I'm enthralled with this game, seriously one of my favorite games of all time, not just XBLA. Some of the music with an Arabian tint is so great. The way the levels come into sight, the way you can break almost anything on the screen, the gameplay, the upgrading, the gem collecting, it's all awesome.

Red

Loving the game so far. Stopped right after completing the smoke pipe thingy.

Very fun, haven't been noticing any consistent unresponsiveness though the framerate occasionally drops. Having a lot of trouble with the War blade thingy's challenge room... damn squirts keep getting away.

Most of the narrator stuff so far hasn't really been super great. It's charming alright, but I guess my expectations were too high.

I played the trial and the art style is beautiful and the narrator made me crack up when I first died, but the combat didn't feel as tight as I would like.

I'm still going to get it when a price drop happens though.

zethren

Banned
Just beat the game.

There are so many different pieces to this game that I love.

My thoughts on the game and endgame spoilers below:

DAT ENDING CREDIT MUSIC.

I chose to help Zulf and not leave him behind, because that's what I believe The Kid would have done. I actually believed that that moment would have been the end of him as all of the Ura were shooting at us, and felt an actual sense of "well shit...this is the end of my journey...". The fact that some of the Ura themselves stopped warriors in their own ranks from shooting at me (once realizing I was no longer a threat to them) by killing them... Also, I chose to fix the world rather than evacuate. I'm curious to see how the story unfolds if you leave Zulf behind and choose to evacuate the Bastion.

The way the narration unfolded throughout the entire game, and especially towards the end, was just entertaining to the last second. I can't picture the old man sounding any other way at this point, and wouldn't want him to. I also love how Zia got a voice of her own at the end.

I like the huge amount of weapons that you got in the game, but aside from the specific instances that you received them a lot of them seemed rather useless to me. I mean I can't imagine using the flame thrower throughout the game, but I suppose it's more of a situational weapon anyway.

I never really had any issues with the combat, but I agree with the posters who have said that force feedback would have been nice upon hitting opponents with melee attacks. I grew to really love the dual pistols and machete combo.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I loved the story, the music is absolutely great, the art direction is top quality, the combat is fast paced and fun, and it never felt like a chore to play. Perfect length for it's price, I think.

Great game, and I'm really excited to see what else comes out of Supergiant. Awesome job on your first game as a team guys, really.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If I miss an item can I go back to it or do I need to start a whole new story (new game plus? idk?)

Lunchbox said:
how the fuck do you hate shadow complex?

Dislike, not hate.

Just didn't care for nathan drake lite. Also I found myself lost a little too often, eventually some sort of lazer puzzle put the final nail in the coffin for me. The rotten cherry on top was learning a scumbag was getting part of my purchase which made it all the more worse.

Vire

I just want to say how incredibly impressed I am with the music. It's one thing to see trailers of the game and see the visual beauty ahead of time, but when I hit one particular song about halfway through the game, I completely was blown away. It's something really unexpected, which makes it all the more special.

Decado

Can you save in the demo? Haven't noticed any symbols indicating the game has been saved.

Also, roughly how long is the full game?

Shurs

Decado said:
Also, roughly how long is the full game?

Some people have said 5-7 hours, I think GameTrailers said 6-9. Either way, that seems substantial enough for a $15 game.

There is also a New Game + option to extend your time with the game.

Havok

ZekeThePlumber said:
Wow, getting sub 25 seconds for the hammer challenge was infuriating.
Were you trying to do it before additional upgrades were unlocked? I managed it at 3 upgrades with 24 seconds on the clock, but I'm sure it'd be easier with more.

Karish

Digging this game quite a bit.

This is going to sound like an odd complain... but I wish the game had more rumble. Am I crazy?

Havok said:
Were you trying to do it before additional upgrades were unlocked? I managed it at 3 upgrades with 24 seconds on the clock, but I'm sure it'd be easier with more.

I only had the first two. I kept getting 25 seconds dozens of times and kept going out of spite and somehow managed a 23. The game doesn't make it obvious that you can upgrade your weapons past 3 stages with how early it introduces the challenges to you. I'm going to assume I'll need the rest of the pistol upgrades to finally get first for the pistol challenge. The best I've done is 710 and unless there's some secret to beating it, I don't see how I'll manage to make 750.

Havok

ZekeThePlumber said:
I only had the first two. I kept getting 25 seconds dozens of times and kept going out of spite and somehow managed a 23. The game doesn't make it obvious that you can upgrade your weapons past 3 stages with how early it introduces the challenges to you. I'm going to assume I'll need the rest of the pistol upgrades to finally get first for the pistol challenge. The best I've done is 710 and unless there's some secret to beating it, I don't see how I'll manage to make 750.
Yeah, I think this is a situation where the lack of direct tutorializing was a little more harmful than in the rest of the game.

pretty sure I just hit an acheivement glitch

right after the ursa attack the bastion i finished my last 3 vigils (build the world, destroy creatures touched by calamity, and complete the buildings). I should have the 100% achievement but it hasnt unlocked.

edit: figured it out. Im on the last proving ground with the
calamity cannon
and this is easily the hardest one of them all. anyone have some sort of strategy? By the time the ghost things get to a monument their is no way that I know how to protect them without destroying the monument too.

Draft said:

They really should fix the demo. I almost didn't buy the game because of that. The game runs fine after unlocking the full version.

What's up with the demo not having any penalty for dying? I couldn't really get a feeling for the difficulty level that way. What happens when you die in the full version?

Articalys

Just gave the demo a try. Nothing super extraordinary but it seemed generally fun and the style is great. It's also the closest I'll get to playing a game narrated by Morgan Freeman.
My games backlog is already pretty heavy, but I'll definitely keep this at the top of my list once some space opens up.

TheTowel

Pretty damn impressed. Watched a few videos and downloaded on a whim. Art direction is solid and the gameplay reminds me Secret of Mana.

teh_J0kerer said:
What's up with the demo not having any penalty for dying? I couldn't really get a feeling for the difficulty level that way. What happens when you die in the full version?

You lose some health, not much though.

Scrum

I´m playing the new game + and I thought that I should do a little test.

I never showed the leatherbound book for Zulf just to see if that changed the game.
It did not, he read it anyway

That sneaky bastard :)

TheOddOne

teh_J0kerer said:
You lose some health and you can only retry it two times again, after that you can restart the whole level or go back to the hub world to chose other levels.

JonCha

Played the demo. Love the narration, art style, difficulty - everything. Super easy to pick up. I'm playing Ms Splosion Man, but I may have to pick this up too.

Pretty good so far. No complaints about world design, art, sound...all great. Level design is always really well paced...always new stuff and ideas. Something about the gameplay feels a little unsatisfying. Maybe it should be harder? I can't really put my finger on it. Also I think I'd prefer larger, open levels with more secrets.

Did the Who Knows Where thing last night...it was great. Also like the arenas so far. They seem to really deliver the challenge the game deserves.

LiK

Conciliator said:
Pretty good so far. No complaints about world design, art, sound...all great. Level design is always really well paced...always new stuff and ideas. Something about the gameplay feels a little unsatisfying. Maybe it should be harder? I can't really put my finger on it. Also I think I'd prefer larger, open levels with more secrets.

Did the Who Knows Where thing last night...it was great. Also like the arenas so far. They seem to really deliver the challenge the game deserves.
Keep playing :)

Giant Bomb should do a review of this. Just because they know the developers and have had them on the site heaps of times, so what. I like Giant Bomb because I know they are going to say what they think, regardless.

H3xum

Wow.

Was only able to get a few hours in last night but man I am loving everything about this game. The gameplay, the environment, the music, everything!

Can't wait to get out of work and play....hmmmm an extra long lunch break may be in order

Lombax

Banned
Captain Bluey said:
Giant Bomb should do a review of this. Just because they know the developers and have had them on the site heaps of times, so what. I like Giant Bomb because I know they are going to say what they think, regardless.

This weeks bombcast had a lot of opinions on the game. I can respect that they do not want to do a full review.

Okay, this is bullshit. I made it 3 quarters of the way through my second game last night, I just reloaded it and it's put me back to where I only just got my second core.

Sectus

Draft said:

I dunno if it goes below 30, but it definitely feels like it drops from 60 to 30 in parts of the demo (like during the parts it rains).

LiK

Sectus said:
I dunno if it goes below 30, but it definitely feels like it drops from 60 to 30 in parts of the demo (like during the parts it rains).
People have said that reloading the demo gets rid of the slowdown. Not sure what's with the demo but no slowdown in full game from my experience.

Shurs

Captain Bluey said:

Why do they need to put a number on it?

You're going to hear tons of talk about the game if you listen to the Bombcast and watch the Quick Look.

IronRinn

Don't know how I feel about this game yet (I just got to the
first of The Kid's dreams
). It looks beautiful, the sound design, voice acting, and the music, especially, are fantastic. The actual game, though, I'm finding a little tedious. Also, I wish I could switch the A and B buttons. I lost count of how many times I hit A in order to melee and dodged instead. Not the game's fault, but I can't seem to get it straight in my head.

Top Bottom