• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Shurs

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Funny I barely play a fucking hour. Last time I actually played a game on it was two months ago. Not sure why this is difficult for people to understand. I would be more likely to play it on PC.

I'd swear that some people here are paid on commission.

Play the game on the platform you want to play it on.

You don't need to apologize to anyone.

Excuse me for being incredulous.

Rabbitwork said:
bear in mind its only 7 and there are a total of 11 weapons. with upgrades you can get 7 first places very easily.

True but I've already got two down, no reason to start over.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Goddammit. I guess I better take care of these on my first playthrough.
bear in mind its only 7 and there are a total of 11 weapons. with upgrades you can get 7 first places very easily.

TheOddOne said:
If you don't like playing on a certain platform you should just say it, tiptoeing around it will just ignite unwanted discussion. Just a heads up.
Tiptoeing around it? I said it multiple times that I was probably going to play on PC. At the time last night I had downloaded the trial and played but didn't get much time with it.

xanavi

Speaking of leaderboards, anyone know how the score is calculated? I'm ranked 6th but I'm not sure where all these points are coming from.

You're so annoying. Don't see why you care. I'm now more likely to pick it up because I see there is a PC version coming out, I didn't give it a fair shake with the trial, and I prefer to play any and all games that come out on multiple platforms on PC if there is one. You giving me a hard time for not buying it because I don't play my Xbox anymore WAS the issue.

TheOddOne

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Followed by a few posts of telling my my argument wasn't sound enough and that my reasoning isn't justified. Yes, it is to me.

So please fucking drop it. I hate to muddy up this thread for people that are actually playing and enjoying the game because I'm not at that point yet.
The only two arguments your coming up with are: he's trying to sell me on buying the 360 version and he doesn't understand why I want the PC version?

First of all your comment was a ridiculous statement, because the time to spend on console is dependent on the games. Just because you spend a hour a week on the console once a week, doesn't mean you will spend a hour on the console with the game a week. Just because I don't use PSN much, doesn't mean I won't buy games from it. If a good game comes along I will pick it up and play it (prolly will enjoy it too).

Second of all, regretting buying a game and not finishing is a something that persistant on all platforms. Buying it on XBLA, PSN and mosly Steam will not change that at all.

Third, if your waiting for a PC version that by all means do and It was not my intent to discourage you for doing so. If you said that you rather wait for the PC version, because of better framerate, higher resolution etc. then I totally understand why your waiting for that version.

The thing that really annoys me is the way your acting up against me, your comment about me being a gameshop employee seem to be clouding your judgement. I am being pretty reasonable here, but you keep attacking me like my point is invalid.

TheOddOne said:
Ok, this is the last thing I am gonna say about this because your twisting my words. First of all, I do not care what platform you play a game on. Your comment was rediculous and I would have said they same thing if it was a Steam/PSN/Wiiware game. So there, I'm sorry that I tried to engage a discussion, my bad. No offense meant.

TheOddOne said:
How does not playing enough on the Xbox justify not buying this game?

Followed by a few posts of telling my my argument wasn't sound enough and that my reasoning isn't justified. Yes, it is to me.

So please fucking drop it. I hate to muddy up this thread for people that are actually playing and enjoying the game because I'm not at that point yet.

Shurs said:
I'd swear that some people here are paid on commission.

Play the game on the platform you want to play it on.

You don't need to apologize to anyone.

Thanks for your support, sorry to drag this on people. My intention was to show that I appreciate a lot of what this game does and I was going to give it a fair shake by finishing the trial and probably picking it up on the PC where I am most likely to play it and enjoy it.

SO, I think I'm just past what feels like the half way point, and the combat has really picked up. There's more enemies, more different enemies, and a I turned on a couple of thingies(you know the thingies that add the stuff). It's challenging and tactical, and it throws a lot of carefully designed mix-ups at you. Pretty sweet! Also I finished like 3 proving grounds...Musket, Bow, Fang Thingy, Shield. So, four! Shield was challenging and satisfying, and I got 400,000 crystals for finishing it.

I've been mixing up my weapons, but I really like Musket/Bow. Cool combo. What do you guys like?

Tokubetsu

Rabbitwork said:
greg kasavin said on giant bomb's thursday night throwdown that they're aware many people want a soundtrack and they're looking into it.
Hell Yes!

"You want to stay alive in the wilds, pack a pair of pistols and a good blade"

Seems like I'm retiring the breaker's bow.

zethren

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Hell Yes!

"You want to stay alive in the wilds, pack a pair of pistols and a good blade"

Seems like I'm retiring the breaker's bow.

Once I got the dual pistols I never looked back.

zethren

Banned
TheOddOne said:
<3 Me too. Did you upgrade them yet?

Yup. Both of em are fully upgraded. On my NG+ right now, so working on upgrading pretty much everything.

Tokubetsu said:
How'd you beat the challenge? Second was easy but im kinda topping out at 650.

For the pistols? Took me a few tries but I got it pretty quickly. You just have to be really quick.

Tokubetsu

zethren said:
Yup. Both of em are fully upgraded. On my NG+ right now, so working on upgrading pretty much everything.

For the pistols? Took me a few tries but I got it pretty quickly. You just have to be really quick.

711 is still my best score.

zethren

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
711 is still my best score.

Keep on trying. I don't think there's really any kind of trick to it, you just have to be fast.

FINALLY beat the Bull Head Shield challenge...2st and 3rd place were easy enough, but I kept beating it with 3 or 4 hits which didn't qualify me for 1st place... Finally did it though.

"There was a hint of pride in his eye when he came back, and more than a hint in mind."

Damn straight.

Some of these vigils are a pain in the rear.
Current one I'm stuck on is critically nailing an enemy with the carbine from an extreme range. I get a general idea of where they are, run a mile away, fire, and...nothing.

Feel like I'm 80% through the game. If one of the Vigils requires that I hit level 10 I may as well forget about it and just work my way to New Game+.

Emitan

Just ran into the Singer and I'm just listening to her sing and not ending the level. This is amazing. I love this game. Greg, you and the team did a fantastic job and I hope you're still checking the thread so you can hear that :)

zethren

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Some of these vigils are a pain in the rear.
Current one I'm stuck on is critically nailing an enemy with the carbine from an extreme range. I get a general idea of where they are, run a mile away, fire, and...nothing.

Feel like I'm 80% through the game. If one of the Vigils requires that I hit level 10 I may as well forget about it and just work my way to New Game+.

I didn't even try to go for all of the vigils until my NG+. I think I have about 5 left to get right now. Working through all of the weapon vigils. Needless to say they're a lot easier when you have each respective weapon fully upgraded, and it wont generally be until NG+ that you'll have a full arsenal of fully upgraded weapons.

Vire said:
Does anyone know if the credits song is on youtube? I want to hear it again and again!

I tried finding it, but it hasn't been uploaded yet...

I think Supergiant has been absolutely bombarded with "OST PLZ!" over the last 2 days that I really hope it becomes a reality.

Any idea on how I can complete the Fire Bellows Vigil if I already did it's proving grounds? I did the proving grounds on my 1st try before I upgraded the Memorial... now it's locked and I can't find any other places that have enough enemies.

It's my last vigil and I wanted it done before NG+.

zethren

Banned
Infamous Chris said:
Any idea on how I can complete the Fire Bellows Vigil if I already did it's proving grounds? I did the proving grounds on my 1st try before I upgraded the Memorial... now it's locked and I can't find any other places that have enough enemies.

It's my last vigil and I wanted it done before NG+.

Here's how I did it:

Go into The Kid's "Who Knows Where" (the smoking pipe) and kill your enemies until you get to the little stands that shoot out Squirts. Don't destroy the stands, instead stand back and let them shoot the squirts out. Then just take your time killing all of the squirts they shoot at you until you get the vigil. Just hold the trigger button down and keep moving so they don't touch you. Was actually kind of easy.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I did the Bastion + Maw deal earlier this afternoon. I got my codes immediately with no wait like some people yesterday were saying. Played a couple hours of this and love it.

zethren said:
Here's how I did it:

Go into The Kid's "Who Knows Where" (the smoking pipe) and kill your enemies until you get to the little stands that shoot out Squirts. Don't destroy the stands, instead stand back and let them shoot the squirts out. Then just take your time killing all of the squirts they shoot at you until you get the vigil. Just hold the trigger button down and keep moving so they don't touch you. Was actually kind of easy.

You are awesome.

Vire

zethren said:
Any tips on beating the Hammer vigil? I keep losing at :28

:/

You're welcome :)
Do you mean the proving ground?

First, upgrade your hammer to max, then use evade to smash up all the small stuff!

Shouldn't be too bad after that.

zethren

Banned
Vire said:
Do you mean the proving ground?

First, upgrade your hammer to max, then use evade to smash up all the small stuff!

Shouldn't be too bad after that.

Oops, yeah. I did mean the proving ground.

Good tip on using the evade, still having issues though. However it did speed my average attempt down to :26 seconds...haha.

I'll keep on trying though.

edit:

ARGH! :25 seconds. Ever closer.

edit #2:

Got it. Jeez, I suck with the hammer. Thanks for the help :)

Loving it. Top 3 games of the year for me so far.

If only those load times could be cut by about 20%. I know, first world problems. But they just go on a few seconds seconds longer enough to get under my skin.

Duffyside

Banned
the_dannobot said:
The "time to crate" in this game is off the charts. This is a game where as soon as the dude finishes smashing a huge pile of crates with a hammer, another huge pile of crates falls out of the sky, ready to be smashed.

I've decided that Bastion is actually a game about a garbageman with a hammer, who lives at the bottom of a Tetris pile.
I hated the perceived bitchiness of this post, until those last five words. Bottom of a Tetris pile. I laughed out loud.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Ok GAF. I bought this game from the MS store so I could get the Maw for free. I have to honestly say that the way a lot of you are slobbering over this game makes me nervous. Expectations are very high at the moment...

Pressing start... now.

zethren

Banned
RiccochetJ said:
Ok GAF. I bought this game from the MS store so I could get the Maw for free. I have to honestly say that the way a lot of you are slobbering over this game makes me nervous. Expectations are very high at the moment...

Pressing start... now.

Enjoy. The game starts off a tad bit slow, so don't be deterred by that. The game is nothing but an incline of awesome in short time.

Tokubetsu

I hit 744 on the pistol one and dont even know how. Totally frustrated with this challenge now.

746 GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Been playing this now for a few hours. GREAT stuff... really reminds me of some of the arcade RPG days on my Megadrive.

XBLA is so awesome... seriously... I could never touch a boxed game and still be in gaming heaven.

Even though I got a big backlog at the moment, I'm gonna try to go get some Microsoft Points tomorrow to buy it, because if I don't buy it now while it's fresh in my mind, there's a good chance I'll forget about it all together. (Happened to me with the Lara Croft game last year; was eagerly anticipating it, but forgot about it when it actually released, and now I still haven't played it with no desire to in the near future.)

Top Bottom