• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

AEREC

FateBreaker said:
Isn't a power shot just holding down the button until you're all sparkly and letting go? If so, yeah, I've done that.

It's letting the shot go the instant it turns sparkly..there's a little flash on your character when that happens and then you have a split second to make a power shot.

zethren

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Just beat my first playthough... Blew me away.

I picked up Zulf and restored the land. The choice screen caught me totally off guard. Very powerful moment. Not to mention the walk with Zulf was AMAZING. Jaw dropped the entire time. I have one question though... What happened to Zulf? I thought I was saving him?

He's in the artwork during the final cutscene and in at least one picture during the credits. He's probably resting in the tent, or something...lol

A27 Tawpgun said:
Just beat my first playthough... Blew me away.

I picked up Zulf and restored the land. The choice screen caught me totally off guard. Very powerful moment. Not to mention the walk with Zulf was AMAZING. Jaw dropped the entire time. I have one question though... What happened to Zulf? I thought I was saving him?

Yeah, I just beat it too, and man the ending was powerful.

The walk with Zulf is just fucking epic. I went with evacuation though, simply because I'm a sucker for chicks and it was what Zia wanted. But man, I can't get over the Zulf walk. They're all shooting you, then they stop...and just let you walk. And then the one guy starts sniping and they kill him immediately. So amazing and with no dialogue/cut-scening whatsoever, just gameplay.

I love this game so much, I think I may start my New Game+ right away. Man, so good.

sixghost

Incendiary said:
Yeah, I just beat it too, and man the ending was powerful.

The walk with Zulf is just fucking epic. I went with evacuation though, simply because I'm a sucker for chicks and it was what Zia wanted. But man, I can't get over the Zulf walk. They're all shooting you, then they stop...and just let you walk. And then the one guy starts sniping and they kill him immediately. So amazing and with no dialogue/cut-scening whatsoever, just gameplay.

I love this game so much, I think I may start my New Game+ right away. Man, so good.
Agreed, it's almost crazy to think that they gave you a choice not to see that moment. It was definitely one of the more memorable in the game.

OnPoint

Have 170 of 200, just need to do New Game+ now. It's amazing how I'm still playing this game after beating it last week. This hasn't happened to me since Super Meat Boy

Just got the 200/200.

Been following the game since Giant Bomb began to cover its development around September of last year and I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint. I honestly think it's up there with Super Meat Boy for my favorite downloadable title of this gen, in fact.

Regarding the ending:
Personally, I think the most fulfilling ending is to have The Kid leave Zulf and choose Restoration in your first playthrough, and then have him save Zulf and choose to Evacuate with his friends in the New Game Plus. The narrator's deja vu in NG+ implies that the characters are trapped in an endless Calamity cycle until you choose to Evacuate, I thought. Though admittedly, I saved Zulf both times regardless. LOVE that part.

Also, best ending theme since the original Mass Effect? Just amazing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDflVhOpS4E

Really loved everything about this game: the gameplay, the art style, the music, the weapon variety, the story, the characters...Good shit, Supergiant Games!

Oh, and it's all about that Brusher's Pike. So good.

After messing around in New Game+ a little, I think one of the little details in this game is the amazingness of the Shrine. Basically, this game has its own customizable built-in hard mode. The first playthrough, I was like "ugh, the Shrine is useless." But on New Game+, I can dial stuff up and down to make it more interesting and give myself more of a challenge. But unlike other Hard Modes in games, if it gets too frustrating I can go back and adjust it to a different setting in-game. Genius. Absolute genius. I hope other games do this in the future.

soultron

Banned
I'm not even done yet, but this is shaping up to be a personal GOTY. So much attention was paid to the minute details. It's flabbergasting that such a small team made such a fantastic experience.

PBalfredo

JonCha said:
What are the favourite weapon combos? I feel like I'm sticking with ranged quite a lot.
I like the carbine and musket. The carbine with the aim speed increases is easy to deal power shots at range and the musket is good crowd control against swarms.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've only watched, like, ten minutes of the GB QL. I don't want to watch more, so can someone answer me this: is this a combat focused game (like a brawler) or is it more adventure orientated?

Rez said:
I've only watched, like, ten minutes of the GB QL. I don't want to watch more, so can someone answer me this: is this a combat focused game (like a brawler) or is it more adventure orientated?

All combat all the time, really, but with fantastic atmosphere.

JonCha said:
What are the favourite weapon combos? I feel like I'm sticking with ranged quite a lot.
First time through I almost never switched from machete and musket once I got them. On my New Game+ run I mostly stuck with hammer and dual pistols but I did mix it up a fair bit with the ranged weapon. I mainly smashed everything with the hammer, though. The musket is my overall favorite weapon.

Red

Incendiary said:
After messing around in New Game+ a little, I think one of the little details in this game is the amazingness of the Shrine. Basically, this game has its own customizable built-in hard mode. The first playthrough, I was like "ugh, the Shrine is useless." But on New Game+, I can dial stuff up and down to make it more interesting and give myself more of a challenge. But unlike other Hard Modes in games, if it gets too frustrating I can go back and adjust it to a different setting in-game. Genius. Absolute genius. I hope other games do this in the future.
It's pretty similar to the skull system Halo uses.

I have all idols active except ones that boost enemy health/enemy defenses. I like the challenge of staying aware and having high risk, but don't like padding out my time by making the game more button mashy than it already is.

vesp

finished my first run last night and was enthralled the entire run through.

I truly love XBLA\PSN for these appropriately priced short and sweet experiences that have really defined this console generation for me.

ImLibo

Finally finished it a couple hours ago and started on my NG+ run
I would like to see them release a $30-$40 full artbook and soundtrack combo.
The last sequence where you hear Zia speak for the first time was fantastic,really makes you think over your choice once you hear how much she wanted to continue traveling the world

TheOddOne

ImLibo said:
The last sequence where you hear Zia speak for the first time was fantastic,really makes you think over your choice once you hear how much she wanted to continue traveling the world
Anyone feel that the should have given her the voice during the game, instead of at
the end
?

Gaspode_T

"I would like to see them release a $30-$40 full artbook and soundtrack combo."
I would buy that!

I just saw Notch of Minecraft fame tweet up Bastion a few hours ago - cue 100K sales yayyy Supergiant :)

I am reading some Japanese gamers tweet about Bastion, let me translate a couple: "I am trying Bastion and it's good, but the English is pretty hard to understand"

"Bastion is a great ARPG, but for this amount of text and voice it's kind of hurtful that there's no localized version"

Sounds like they want it to be released here..I wonder if they will follow it up with a translation later?

LiK

For people who beat the game:

The Evacuation ending is equally great. Check it out before you put it down.

I was balls deep in The Bastion this weekend. A few things:

* The narrator sounds like Ron Pearlman doing his Fallout narration

* Any word on a release of the OST? (its one of the best Ive heard)

*The game is reminiscent, due to its action and visiual perspective, of the Genesis game LandStalker. Anyone else agree?

Red

JumpingTheGun said:
I was balls deep in The Bastion this weekend. A few things:

* The narrator sounds like Ron Pearlman doing his Fallout narration

*The game is reminiscent, due to its action and visiual perspective, of the Genesis game LandStalker. Anyone else agree?
Bastion is so much better than Landstalker.

LiK

JumpingTheGun said:
I agree, but visually the gameplay perspective is similar and it reminded me of it. Regarding Reflections, how do I unlock more of them?
They're story based. Those objects are unmissable.

Red

JumpingTheGun said:
I agree, but visually the gameplay perspective is similar and it reminded me of it. Regarding Reflections, how do I unlock more of them?
The isometric perspective is similar to a few other games, Landstalker included. I disagree that the action is similar. Bastion's combat is vastly superior.

Tawpgun

LiK said:
They're story based. Those objects are unmissable.
Disagree... Me and many others missed the other reflections. I only did the pipe one.

Also, what are the domesticated animals? I only got the squirt, anklegator, and bull. Was a bird the other one? Where do you find it?

I'm also wondering if different combinations of the endgame choices give you different endings. Like choice A with choice x is different then choice B with choice x.

LiK

A27 Tawpgun said:
Disagree... Me and many others missed the other reflections. I only did the pipe one.

Also, what are the domesticated animals? I only got the squirt, anklegator, and bull. Was a bird the other one? Where do you find it?

I'm also wondering if different combinations of the endgame choices give you different endings. Like choice A with choice x is different then choice B with choice x.
My only guess is your game probably glitched cuz the bedroll one automatically appears before the
end game.
I replayed it twice and it appears on its own. Unmissable.

MAYBE the pot is missable but it appeared after a mission as an object for dialogue.

zam

LiK said:
For people who beat the game:

The Evacuation ending is equally great. Check it out before you put it down.
Yeah that's
the one I went with on my first playthrough, second time through I took the reset ending, not as good imo

JumpingTheGun said:
Someone put up three songs on youtube, not much I know, but it's tiding me over until an actual OST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8cELTdtw6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDflVhOpS4E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlfUcnSbKDA

Moobabe said:
Is there a date yet?
No date as far as I know, the team said on one of the Giant Bomb videos that they are doing all the work porting it all on their own, and the team is only 4-5 people.

wwm0nkey

Basically from what I gather
if you do the restart ending the calamity will always happen and the evacuate ending is pretty much the real ending and leaves it open for a 2nd game

LiK

wwm0nkey said:
Basically from what I gather
if you do the restart ending the calamity will always happen and the evacuate ending is pretty much the real ending and leaves it open for a 2nd game
You are correct sir.

megalowho

Just about done with the game, kept me up until 4am last night. Really excellent stuff all around, I find myself getting sucked in even more as I go along.

Mid-game spoilers:
The moment where you meet The Singer is one of my new favorite gaming moments of all time. Hearing that lonesome song echoing from somewhere, navigating closer, and then finally reaching her and hearing the lyrics crystal clearly - I just sat there, button prompt unpressed, listening. Then as soon as I interrupted her final line, the narrator finished it off. I got chills.

TheOddOne said:
Anyone feel that the should have given her the voice during the game, instead of at
the end
?

What I think would have been cool is if they had made Zia the narrator for the New Game+. It wouldn't have been necessary, but it would have been awesome to replay with a second narrative perspective.

JonCha

So how do you do the spear challenge? I ran around just stabbing them and got 1:10. Do you have to use power shots to do it?

LiK

JonCha said:
So how do you do the spear challenge? I ran around just stabbing them and got 1:10. Do you have to use power shots to do it?

if you throw them, they can take out a couple of those plants at once.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
JonCha said:

I had werewhiskey on, fell off the stage until my health dropped to the right level, and the crit was able to take the plants down in one hit. Then it was just about finding the right path to barely make it. I'm assuming there's upgrades that focus on damage to let you one hit them naturally, but I don't see how to make the time without being able to one shot them unless I just had a bad route.

Huh, I never threw any. I actually forgot you could, shiiit.

JonCha said:
I just abused Werewhiskey so that I could one-shot all the enemies. Save yourself some time by just straight-up rolling through the spikes to the first switch. Werewhiskey should activate by the time you're near the first one.

Werewhiskey really is the top tier spirit.

see5harp

Man...this game is so damn good. Just went into a dream sequence that totally blew my mind. The parts with the mixed up narrative were especially cool. I love the fact that they not only provide super beautiful art for the levels but they are also messing with lighting and effects to really alter mood. I hope these guys make an absolute killing because they really deserve it. I haven't even touched any of the "skulls" yet.

sixghost

megalowho said:
Just about done with the game, kept me up until 4am last night. Really excellent stuff all around, I find myself getting sucked in even more as I go along.

Mid-game spoilers:
The moment where you meet The Singer is one of my new favorite gaming moments of all time. Hearing that lonesome song echoing from somewhere, navigating closer, and then finally reaching her and hearing the lyrics crystal clearly - I just sat there, button prompt unpressed, listening. Then as soon as I interrupted her final line, the narrator finished it off. I got chills.
That's my absolute favorite moment of the game. Such a brilliant touch to have the vocals cleared up when you get closer to her.

2nd favorite moment, the hallucination in the swamp. I thought the game was about to do a really shitty 180 and reveal that you've been the bad guy all along, and then I remembered the things the narrator said about the swamp. So good.

TheOddOne

Incendiary said:
What I think would have been cool is if they had made Zia the narrator for the New Game+. It wouldn't have been necessary, but it would have been awesome to replay with a second narrative perspective.
Mind. Blown. I want this now.

Lima

Awesome game. Just finished some of the challenges and won first prizes. Hard but fun once you figure out how to do them.

Emitan

Listening to Zia's folk song after beating the game is amazing. The way the Ura feel about being subjugated by the Caels is so perfectly explained through the song. It's one of the most beautiful and masterly handled ways I've ever seen backstory told in any medium. This game is truly something special.

zethren

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Mind. Blown. I want this now.

That would be sweet, but:

I think the narrator is actually telling the story to Zia. At least that's how it sounded on a few occasions. Maybe they could have had Zia narrate the story on NG+ as if she was telling it to her child, or something. Haha

Top Bottom