• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

sixghost

Rabbitwork said:
i found it much easier to get them with the army carbine.
I'd never use anything but the carbine if I could consistently get powershots with the two speed upgrades enabled. It's just way too fast.

OnPoint

Zeppelin said:
Yeah, once you realize you can just camp the spawns and slash away in the beginning it's cake. The shield one was a bitch for me aswell.

Wait, how?
Edit: Nvm I was 3 secs off now. I'll get it

zethren

Banned
Trumpets said:
The demo did nothing for me - I was expecting some sort of RPG but instead all you seem to do is run around and hit stuff. The narrator is a nice idea and well executed but I'm not sure he really changes anything.

Is the demo representative of the full game?

The game opens up a lot more and there are a lot of weapons and combinations to choose from. There are also challenge maps for each weapon, 3 survival mode challenges, a bunch of in game achievements called Vigils, and tons of passive ability upgrades called tonics that you can mix and match whenever you want.

The core of the combat is run around and smash stuff, but it does get deeper the more you delve into the weapon selection. The demo doesn't really do the game justice because it REALLY opens up after an hour of play or so, but if it did absolutely nothing for you then maybe it's not a game for you.

wwm0nkey said:

Awesome, thanks. That saves time.

LiK

you guys who beat the game should probably check out NG+ when you have time. i like the subtle changes with the narrator comments. nice touch.

sixghost

LiK said:
you guys who beat the game should probably check out NG+ when you have time. i like the subtle changes with the narrator comments. nice touch.
How exactly is the difficulty handled in NG+? Does it ramp up on its own, or do you just have to turn on a bunch of idols?

LiK

sixghost said:
How exactly is the difficulty handled in NG+? Does it ramp up on its own, or do you just have to turn on a bunch of idols?

difficulty seems about the same on default so yea, you will have to turn on idols for a challenge.

Emitan

I didn't like the demo either but I loved the full game. It didn't really click with me until an hour or so in.

RivalCore

Finished it, got the full 200/200 and loved it.

But by Christ are my hands so sore after the third reflection arena.

It's also kinda funny that Brad from Giantbomb will be at the top of the leader boards for forever.

Red

Was really enjoying this game until about halfway through, when
the Ura dude storms off and Shards become the new collectable
. Levels after that point have a more muted color scheme, with a lot of browns and reds, and the enemies use projectiles which blend in with the environment. Half the time I get hit I'm yelling at my monitor raging because I have no idea what the fuck is attacking me. It's so, so annoying. And for some reason it's getting more difficult to tell what platforms I can walk on... I've taken a fair amount of damage from falling through edge surfaces that appear to be solid.

It's still good, but I'm getting very frustrated. That wasn't the case before.

Those fucking birds.

Red

Billychu said:
Pistols. Pistols with ricochet utterly decimate them.
I've been using the bow and war machete for most of the game, so haven't spent much time with the pistols. I'll try them out. I want to get those vigils though, and I'm trying to get weapons I don't like out of the way first (using the repeater right now, trying shotgun next).

I just don't find the birds fun to fight. Most other enemies are alright outside of hard to see projectiles, regardless of what weapons I'm using.

LiK

Crunched said:
I've been using the bow and war machete for most of the game, so haven't spent much time with the pistols. I'll try them out. I want to get those vigils though, and I'm trying to get weapons I don't like out of the way first (using the repeater right now, trying shotgun next).

I just don't find the birds fun to fight. Most other enemies are alright outside of hard to see projectiles, regardless of what weapons I'm using.

bow is too slow for the birds, imo. you should diversify your weapon load out.

Red

LiK said:
bow is too slow for the birds, imo. you should diversify your weapon load out.
You're probably right. I'm at a something-Cauldron level right now and ripping my hair out in frustration. It seems like I'm randomly taking damage just from walking around. I can clear an area of enemies and then suddenly get hit though there's nothing around. And I know when I run into a group of birds I'm going to have to use at least one of my healing items.

I was having such a great time with the game up until the past two or three levels. Now it's just frustrating me again and again. I hate the amount of distortion from toxic clouds, and it's made even worse by the fact that there are plants that emit them after being hit. So some bridges become a waiting game. Hit plant, wait for cloud to dissipate. Move forward three steps. Repeat.

There's also a problem with automatic aiming, especially with the shield, when a lot of enemies are around. Sometimes I don't want to auto lock onto the nearest threat. But the character does so anyway. It's something I can usually compensate for, but it's very annoying when I'm trying to counter a projectile and the kid spins around to face a green eyeball that's doing nothing but sitting there.

I'm playing with all but two idols enabled (random deflections and higher enemy defense are turned off), and I do want a challenge. But I think what I'm facing right now is unfair.

I just left the stage and upgraded my pistols to ricochet, so hopefully that helps.

Emitan

FateBreaker said:
New Game+ carries everything over, right? So I can just continue exactly where I left off in terms of the vigil completion?
Vigils reset unfortunately. It's worth doing New Game+ for the ludicrous amounts of money you get when you use shards to upgrade a building.

zethren

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Man, I just saw the other "ending". Goddamn, the art in the credits is amazing.

Yeah, the
evacuation
ending is my absolute favorite one. Feels like the best choice for the new game + ending (especially when you take into account the added comments the narrator makes throughout NG+.

Emitan

zethren said:
Yeah, the
evacuation
ending is my absolute favorite one. Feels like the best choice for the new game + ending (especially when you take into account the added comments the narrator makes throughout NG+.
The only thing I noticed in New Game+ (which I did as a speedrun, so I guess I missed tons of dialog) was at one part he said "I feel like I've told this story thousands of times."

Phreaker

sixghost said:
Are you using the leaderboards as your source? Don't forget about the people who either haven't tried Who Knows Where or just don't have their consoles connected to XBL.

My story score was on the leaderbaords long before I got to Who Know Where. ?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, I'm probably in the minority here, but I turned the narrator audio off, and I now find the game about a million times more atmospheric.

Santiako

zoner said:
So, I'm probably in the minority here, but I turned the narrator audio off, and I now find the game about a million times more atmospheric.

I hope you are in the minority. The narrator is the best feature about this game.

see5harp

Hell no. The narrator is an essential part of the experience to me. It adds humor, gameplay cues, and background information. Shotty works wonders on the birds, especially after an upgrade or two.

Red

Santiako said:
I hope you are in the minority. The narrator is the best feature about this game.
I would have preferred more unique dialogue quips based on player actions. There are a few (he cuts those plants like there's a prize for it etc), but quite often there's downtime when there could have been an opportunity for him to speak.

xanavi

Billychu said:
Vigils reset unfortunately. It's worth doing New Game+ for the ludicrous amounts of money you get when you use shards to upgrade a building.
Some vigils reset, but the majority will not.

Calamity Cannon + Army Carbine = GODLY on the Who Knows Where trials with all idols active.

Got all of them complete and sucured my place on the leaderboards. :)

Emitan

Only missing 3 Vigils but I think I need to do another New Game+ for it because I'm broke and can't upgrade my weapons because I just rolled through every level so I missed tons of money.

D3VI0US

Is every trip to who knows where supposed to be the same?

I don't even know if that needs a spoiler but I put on there anyways.

Also this game is fucking amazing so far, it's the complete package.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
RivalCore said:
Finished it, got the full 200/200 and loved it.

But by Christ are my hands so sore after the third reflection arena.

It's also kinda funny that Brad from Giantbomb will be at the top of the leader boards for forever.

Wait what? Why?

TheOddOne

D3VI0US said:
Is every trip to who knows where supposed to be the same?

I don't even know if that needs a spoiler but I put on there anyways.
While progressing trough the game, at certain points in Bastion Hub world three items will appear:
smoking pipe, stew kettle and The Kid's napsack
. Complete them all and you'll get the achievement (if thats whats your trying to do).

zethren

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Bit the bullet and bought the game. Liking it so far. I'm expecting it only gets better.

I don't think there's any point in the game where it really goes downhill. After about an hour in it's all uphill until the awesome finale.

sixghost

Well it took about an hour, but I beat the first WKW with the 10 idols. Honestly I'm starting the think Werewhiskey might be a little overpowered, my strategy for half the arena was the get down to 33% then just one hit everything with the bow crits. I think 33% might be a little too high of a margin, because with the 2 extra lives and the spirit that saves a fatal blow, it's really not even that risky.

I ended up beating it with the bow/hammer, but bow/shotgun with werewhiskey makes you almost invincible.

Frankfurt

Banned
Heard so much about the narrator and how he added "so much" to the game...

Does that come later? Because in the demo he was just... There. The gameplay was pretty run-of-the-mill, too. Not bad, but nothing even remotely up to the insane hype. The demo areas were the same that got super-praised before release (according to Giant Bomb), so I'm kinda puzzled.

kneePat

TheOddOne said:
I got the impression that this offer is for all Summer of Arcade releases?

Yes that is right. If you already bought Bastion you can still get the Maw for free next week or any other week during Summer of Arcade with any purchase. Just go to www.arcadesummer.com when the game you want is out, next week is From Dust.

Machinima said:
So here we have it — if you buy Bastion from this website, you’ll get The Maw for free from your bros at Machinima. No extra cost, no nothing.

If you don’t want Bastion, and really you should, you can just wait until next week. We’re running this promo for every game in the Summer of Arcade, so there has to be at least one you’re excited about.

via http://blog.machinima.com/insidegaming/2011/07/20/buying-bastion-get-the-maw-for-free/

zethren

Banned
Frankfurt said:

Does that come later? Because in the demo he was just... There. The gameplay was pretty run-of-the-mill, too. Not bad, but nothing even remotely up to the insane hype. The demo areas were the same that got super-praised before release (according to Giant Bomb), so I'm kinda puzzled.

The game massively picks up after about 45 minutes to an hour of play (for story and gameplay related reasons). The demo really does not give justice to what the rest of the game really is.

My only complaint about the narrator is that I've missed so much of what he says because he talks during heavy combat sequences and stuff like that. I hear the people who just aren't into that type of narration, but how do you not like this guy in particular?

Zeppelin said:
Yeah, once you realize you can just camp the spawns and slash away in the beginning it's cake.
Um... how?

I can easily kill whatever spawns, but they keep spawning so my number never goes below 50. How in the hell are you supposed to do this one? I have 2 upgrades, but I'm lucky if I can kill them all within like five minutes. How is this possible do complete within 90 seconds?

My opinion of this game was really high until I got to this challenge.

LiK

Frankfurt said:

he's important to the story. the demo is just a touch of him. that's all i will say.

Baller said:
Um... how?

I can easily kill whatever spawns, but they keep spawning so my number never goes below 50. How in the hell are you supposed to do this one? I have 2 upgrades, but I'm lucky if I can kill them all within like five minutes. How is this possible do complete within 90 seconds?

My opinion of this game was really high until I got to this challenge.

you must be confusing the black ones with the blue ones. the black ones count, the blue ones that spawn from those carts do not.

Bodom78

I bought this without trying the demo, basically sucked in by the hype and vids I saw with the devs on GiantBomb.

Just finished my first run through and boy was it a treat. Loved the simple way in which the story was told were not too much is ever explained, A welcomed relief since I've been playing FFXIII recently.

Also found myself randomly humming that awesome tune from mid game.

Gaspode_T

For those who for whatever reason can't play at a loud volume, be sure to put subtitles on, it helps out a lot to hear what the narrator is saying

Trumpets

zethren said:
The game opens up a lot more and there are a lot of weapons and combinations to choose from. There are also challenge maps for each weapon, 3 survival mode challenges, a bunch of in game achievements called Vigils, and tons of passive ability upgrades called tonics that you can mix and match whenever you want.

The core of the combat is run around and smash stuff, but it does get deeper the more you delve into the weapon selection. The demo doesn't really do the game justice because it REALLY opens up after an hour of play or so, but if it did absolutely nothing for you then maybe it's not a game for you.

Very helpful reply, thanks! With From Dust coming next week I'll probably skip Bastion for the time being.

Top Bottom