• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Just finished getting all the achievements and I have to say that all the talk of how wonderful the game is in New Game+ leaves me a bit confused. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the game and had a fantastic time, but there's plenty of talk around about how the narrator changes stuff for the second time through.

I can think of only two occasions where there was any different dialogue and all it was, and this is no spoiler, is him saying something akin to, "It feels like I've said this a thousand times before."

So did I miss something significant? I always love New Game+ modes and it's a great way to also clean up missed achievements and to buy everything and max yourself out, but I think people are giving it a bit too much credit for changing things up the second time around. To me the narration is changed so little that it doesn't bear pointing out as a plus but it commonly is.

I suppose I was just expecting something more along the lines of Nier for the second time through and obviously it's nothing like that at all when it comes to changing the story.

Still, fantastic game and a great start to the Summer of Arcade.

zethren

Banned
Rickard said:
Fuck the scrapyard... seriously.

Roll around and swing. Don't ever not be rolling, unless you're swinging the hammer.

I had so much trouble with it too until I started rolling.

zethren

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
I've realised I like everything about this game other than the combat.

... and the gameplay is pretty much all combat, so that's a bad thing. :\

How far into the game have you gotten?

Tawpgun

Just beat my first reflection. Holy shit. I barely squeezed out the win and figured out I can't use the damn shotgun for shit.

Bliddo

Foliorum Viridum said:
I've realised I like everything about this game other than the combat.

... and the gameplay is pretty much all combat, so that's a bad thing. :\
The combat is not bad, but it gets really repetitive.
I completed the last two levels by rolling forward, spamming the
flame thingy
when needed.
And hooooooooooooooooly shit the narrator never shuts up.

Sallokin

I played forever yesterday only to turn on my system this morning and see that for some odd fucking reason the game didn't save my progress. I'm back like 4 hours earlier, but some things I did later on (like finish some of the weapon trials) are still there. WHAT THE FUCK!? I thought this game had an auto save feature? So frustrating.

Artchur

So my wife started crying at the ending of this game... she watched me play it most of the way through. I can't say I had quite the same emotional impact but what a great game!

Now, I NEED the soundtrack.. grr... come on, get that shit on Itunes already...

DJ_Lae

JonCha said:
What are the favourite weapon combos? I feel like I'm sticking with ranged quite a lot.

I find myself spending most of the time with the mortar and hammer (or one man wrecking crew as the narrator puts it). Mortar gets the most action, but the hammer is good for cleaning up anything that gets too close.

Tawpgun

... How the hell do you beat the Machete Proving Ground. Those little black buggers keep running away and my throws always miss them.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
... How the hell do you beat the Machete Proving Ground. Those little black buggers keep running away and my throws always miss them.
Camp the initial spawn in the middle immediately after you start the challenge, it's a piece of cake after that.

Tawpgun

Havok said:
Camp the initial spawn in the middle immediately after you start the challenge, it's a piece of cake after that.
Could you elaborate? You want me to just sit in one spot? I always go for the popcorn machines since they replenish the count.

legbone

so far my favorite weapon combo is the pike and the dueling pistols. but the calamity cannon and the mortar both seem really powerful. may trade in the pistols for the cannon. but i ain't giving up my pike for nothing.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
Could you elaborate? You want me to just sit in one spot? I always go for the popcorn machines since they replenish the count.
That video posted is basically it. In short, all the black squirts come up from one spot fairly slowly so you can take them out as they spawn. The popcorn machines are a lower priority, because the blue squirts don't run away like the black ones do.

Tawpgun

Any tips on the pistol proving ground? I fire what I believe to be crazy fast at a good reaction time but can only get high 600 low 700...

kylej

Banned
Game is good if slightly repetitive; kinda have to play it in small chunks to keep from burning out. Quite amazed that one person did all the art.

vhfive

How do you get the survivor's dream? I've beaten this game twice (loved it both times) but was never able to get the Survivor's Dream.

AEREC

vhfive said:
How do you get the survivor's dream? I've beaten this game twice (loved it both times) but was never able to get the Survivor's Dream.

Isnt that the pipe in the Bastion, you get it automatically shortly after finding the first survivor, Zulf.

Tawpgun

vhfive said:
Never got this either. How many times are you suppose to beat the reflections?

AEREC

Finished my first playthrough today and I have to say this is one of the best games Ive played this year, including full retail games.

It just does so much right in regards to narrative, presentation, difficulty, content, etc...

My only real gripe is that some of the levels felt way too short and narrow.

My first play through took me between 6-8 hours Im guessing and I went with:

leaving Zulf and activating the Bastion so that it reset everything which is a great explanation, story-wise, for New Game +, Im already almost halfway through the game again and cant wait to see the other ending.

AEREC

A27 Tawpgun said:
Never got this either. How many times are you suppose to beat the reflections?

If you are talking about how to get on the leaderboards then I think you have to beat it with at least one idol activated.

How do you get more idols? Also, are there any good ones? I have 2 and they both make enemies stronger, kinda wondering WTF the point is...

AEREC

Baller said:
How do you get more idols? Also, are there any good ones? I have 2 and they both make enemies stronger, kinda wondering WTF the point is...

No..they are there to increase difficulty as well as give you a boost to gaining experience. The game becomes too easy in New Game Plus so they are there to add a challenge.

More idols show up in the Lost and Found and as you progress further in the game, you wont find them in the levels or anything, as some are automatically given to you.

AEREC said:
No..they are there to increase difficulty as well as give you a boost to gaining experience. The game becomes too easy in New Game Plus so they are there to add a challenge.
Ahh, I see. "Too easy" lol, doesn't computer with me.

:)

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but before I head to the final area, can someone tell me what carries over (and what doesn't carry over) to New Game+?

Survivor's Dream peeps: remember to chit-chat with the survivor multiple times and as frequently as possible. I believe he discusses a certain item then, and then the thing comes up.

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
Calamity Cannon Proving Ground.

How the hell.
Get full upgrades and pick target homing + increased chargeup speed. Cake.

Might not be doable on playthrough one just because there aren't very many 'Something Wrong's in the game.

LiK

A27 Tawpgun said:
Calamity Cannon Proving Ground.

How the hell.
Pretty easy, got that on 3rd retry. I only upgraded twice. Just lock on manually and upgrade radius damage. Zero dudes made it past me.

Havok said:

Might not be doable on playthrough one just because there aren't very many 'Something Wrong's in the game.

Totally doable. Completed on my first play through.

bender

What time is it?
Havok said:

You can do all the proving grounds on one play through. I just need the increased blast radius to complete the challenge which is the 2nd (?) upgrade.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Any tips on the pistol proving ground? I fire what I believe to be crazy fast at a good reaction time but can only get high 600 low 700...
take both damage upgrades and the upgrade that removes bullet scatter (first tier). 5 shots per target. just get REALLY good at pressing 'X' 5 times quickly (5 shots per target) and waiting for the whistle. i don't even look at the targets i just sort of stare at the Kid and watch for the target to come dropping out of the corners of my vision. you don't have to move the Kid will automatically aim right at it.
vhfive said:
this should happen in the story. it happens
after you find Zia the 2nd time
when you come back to the Bastion there's a bedroll next to the stockpot. thats the survivor's dream.

pipe - kids dream
stockpot - singer's dream
bedroll - survivor's dream

Tawpgun

Just beat my first playthough... Blew me away.

I picked up Zulf and restored the land. The choice screen caught me totally off guard. Very powerful moment. Not to mention the walk with Zulf was AMAZING. Jaw dropped the entire time. I have one question though... What happened to Zulf? I thought I was saving him?

AEREC

FateBreaker said:
I'm sorry if this has been answered, but before I head to the final area, can someone tell me what carries over (and what doesn't carry over) to New Game+?

Weapons/Upgrades, Spirits, Vigils...weapon challenges and buildings are reset, but you get access to all building after your first core, meaning you can build the shrine first if you want, but you still have to build them one at a time.

Havok

LiK said:
Totally doable. Completed on my first play through.
bender said:
You can do all the proving grounds on one play through. I just need the increased blast radius to complete the challenge which is the 2nd (?) upgrade.
I probably should have been more clear - I'm sure the proving ground itself was doable on one playthrough, I just didn't know if upgrading the thing to five was.

Yanksfan

Havok said:

Thanks, I will give that a shot the next time I play. I tried a few times and failed miserably.

This is so frustrating. I am one vigil away from completing all of them. It's the one for Breaker's Bow. It says to kill three enemies in one shot. I've done this with those little guys, and it is not opening. Is there something I'm missing? Does it have to be something stupid? Like a straight line? Or am I just glitched??

Emitan

FateBreaker said:
This is so frustrating. I am one vigil away from completing all of them. It's the one for Breaker's Bow. It says to kill three enemies in one shot. I've done this with those little guys, and it is not opening. Is there something I'm missing? Does it have to be something stupid? Like a straight line? Or am I just glitched??
I think you have to one shot kill them with a Power Shot.

Top Bottom