• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

DaBuddaDa

Lactose_Intolerant said:
I might be the only one, but I'm not really feeling the gameplay. I just beat the 1st boss and the gameplay isn't really drawing me in.
It clicked for me once I got a few more weapons and started in Who Knows Where. It seems simple at first, but there is an elegance and mastery you'll develop over time.

DTKT

chickdigger802 said:
anyone else find the MC's animations to be a bit 'clunky'?

It feels like frames are missing or something o_O.

loving the music though.

Yeah, it was a bit strange for a few minutes but you quickly get used to it. It feels like it is not running at 60 FPS.

This wasn't really on my radar but and I went and tried out the demo. Really nifty little game.

The narrator is a fucking boss and damn does it look nice. Thing is I don't really plan on playing it anytime soon and Deus Ex is coming out next week.

Should I or shouldn't I buy it now...?

wutwutwut

Over 20k entries on the PC leaderboard, i.e. at least 20k people bought the game, probably more. That's a pretty cool amount of money.

LiK

toasty_T said:
This wasn't really on my radar but and I went and tried out the demo. Really nifty little game.

The narrator is a fucking boss and damn does it look nice. Thing is I don't really plan on playing it anytime soon and Deus Ex is coming out next week.

Should I or shouldn't I buy it now...?
Should

Ferrio

Banned
Bought it yesterday, played quite a bit. Not sure how close I am to the end... I think I've rescued 4 runes or whatever so far. Also completed the 3 challenges that were thrown my way.

Currently rocking the machete.

At 1920x1080 with everything on I'm at a constant 58fps..... which is an odd number.

LiK

Ferrio said:
Bought it yesterday, played quite a bit. Not sure how close I am to the end... I think I've rescued 4 runes or whatever so far. Also completed the 3 challenges that were thrown my way.

Currently rocking the machete.

At 1920x1080 with everything on I'm at a constant 58fps..... which is an odd number.

not even close to the end.

Jsunu

Banned
I am not sure if I am the minority or not but I actually like the gameplay quite a bit. It may not be as percise as other games but I find it can dodge/fire a gun/bash shit/use magic with ease.

Also what amazes me how small the team with 7 people. All the game assets made by one artist too: http://jenzee.deviantart.com/

It's FINALLY here, guys! BASTION!!! I am so excited to announce that Bastion, the fruit of a small group of dedicated game devs' passionate labor is finally available on XBLA at this very moment :D!

Thank you for all your guys' support through my silent disappearances whilst toiling away on this project. At the very least, if you have the time I'd love for you guys to give the trial a go and see if you like it! Hint-hint - the trial is free ;D!

A little background: I had the fantastic opportunity to function as the Art Director and sole 2D artist on the team :D! For better or for worse, all environmental art, UI, textures, and many of the designs were created within the last year!

Thanks guys, and if you get the chance to play it, I genuinely hope you enjoy your journey ;D!

Zomba13

Downloaded it yesterday on steam and got round to playing it today.
Took a bit to get used to the movement and all that but I'm loving it.
Looks fantastic, sounds amazing. Even Bastionified my avatar :)

LiK

Zomba13 said:
Downloaded it yesterday on steam and got round to playing it today.
Took a bit to get used to the movement and all that but I'm loving it.
Looks fantastic, sounds amazing. Even Bastionified my avatar :)

lol, awesome.

Confiture

Banned
I'm locked at 45fps with a i5 750@3.7 and HD6970 (11.8 preview) at 1920x1200 4xaa (even with no aa framerate stays the same)...
edit: and there's something weird going on with the resolution, when i put it at 1920x1200 I get a 16/9 ratio while at 1080p it's 16/10...

LiK

LordPhoque said:
Does it have official controller support on PC ?
Works fine with 360 controller and people in previous posts mentioned workarounds with 3rd party software with other pads.

mileS

Confiture said:
I'm locked at 45fps with a i5 750@3.7 and HD6970 (11.8 preview) at 1920x1200 4xaa (even with no aa framerate stays the same)...

Its a bug and the dev's are currently working to get it fixed. Good to know its not just drivers though (i'm running 11.5)

from steam forums
- We're aware that for some users, the game is running at a locked frame rate that is less than the intended 60 fps.

- We are also working to add compatibility with some gamepads other than the Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for Windows.

ASilva

Neo Member
I'm getting 58fps locked but the game is super fluid and no frame drops. Runs perfectly here.

i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
8Gb ram
GTX 570

I'm in love with this game, loving everything about it so far.
The combat is super responsive and "tight", the narration works wonderfully well (amazing voice acting), the visuals are pure joy for my eyes, the story hasn't really kicked off yet so we'll see on that front

LQX

Just finished the game. Have to say I was not feeling it at all for maybe the first hour or two but then I got the pistols then the rifle and I was hooked. They really should have started the game out with better weapons. Also the missions....don't really feel like missions. Just feels like you are trying to get from one end to the other while getting loot. Overall I still liked it but with all the praise I expected more.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
ASilva said:
I'm getting 58fps locked but the game is super fluid and no frame drops. Runs perfectly here.
Same here
GTX470
4 GB RAM
Core2Quad Q995@2.83

And about the game... I don't know, it's all fine but the character moves too slow for me. Other than that I like it, great narration.

Zomba13

Keiician said:
Same here
GTX470
4 GB RAM
Core2Quad Q995@2.83

And about the game... I don't know, it's all fine but the character moves too slow for me. Other than that I like it, great narration.
So far the only thing I really don't like about the game. I end up rolling everywhere and that isn't bad but I want that speed without having to roll through the game.

Kyaw

Does the PS3 controller through motionjoy with x360 pad profile work well with the game?

Had some bitter moments configuring it on BC2.

Zomba13 said:
So far the only thing I really don't like about the game. I end up rolling everywhere and that isn't bad but I want that speed without having to roll through the game.
The Kid runs too slow. So he begins to roll.

But yeah, aside from the running speed, I love this game so far!

Zomba13

Winnie the Pimp said:
so with a couple conflicting opinions in here...

is this generally a GOOD PC port then? (unlike From Dust?)
For me it runs great, looks great (no issues with performance or framerate) and plays great (designed for a 360 pad, I can use that).
Doesn't seem like anything added apart from steamchievments and other steamy things but yeah. This is how you port a summer of arcade game to PC. From Dust is how you half arse one.

Zomba13 said:
For me it runs great, looks great (no issues with performance or framerate) and plays great (designed for a 360 pad, I can use that).
Doesn't seem like anything added apart from steamchievments and other steamy things but yeah. This is how you port a summer of arcade game to PC. From Dust is how you half arse one.

sounds pretty awesome, that way i can safely buy the Steam version with no regrets then i guess :)

Kyaw

Game runs great and looks good. (2d art anyway..)

I got the frame limit bug though. Locked at 45fps.

Phenom II X4 @ 3.6
GTX480
4GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate

BurningNad

Kyaw said:
Does the PS3 controller through motionjoy with x360 pad profile work well with the game?

Had some bitter moments configuring it on BC2.
I'm using this with motioninjoy and it works flawlessly with 360 emulation. I imagine the official ps3 pad will work fine.

Kyaw

BurningNad said:
I'm using this with motioninjoy and it works flawlessly with 360 emulation. I imagine the official ps3 pad will work fine.

Thanks, i'll try it. Hopefully i'm picking up the full game real soon.

iavi

Kyaw said:
Thanks, i'll try it. Hopefully i'm picking up the full game real soon.

You may have to set it to use the controller in the settings manually. I didn't think mine was working until I did.

I'm using a DS3 with motioninjoy for reference. It's working flawlessly.

Syril

So I just got this and it won't start because it apparently doesn't think I have a graphics card. I was playing the demo without problems, so I'm not sure what could cause this.

Zomba13

Syril said:
So I just got this and it won't start because it apparently doesn't think I have a graphics card. I was playing the demo without problems, so I'm not sure what could cause this.
Could be the drivers or settings. I've got the newest (I think) Nvidia drivers and my screen is set to 'always 3D mode' or whatever (I have 3D vision) and whenever I start FFXIV it tells me I have no graphics card and it closes down and I have to log in again and it works fine.

Might be a similar problem though mine is fixed by just trying again.

It stu stu stu stutters like crazy, microstutter or idk , not smooth at all.

Blocking mechanic is great, attacking is not, very unsatisfying.

Art is really good, the concept is pretty amazing too, it's a shame that the narrator has to take a steamy dump on the presentation like that.

weird. now it shows 60fps.
goes to 57fps for a bit when it changes scenes then locks at 60fps after.

EDIT: scratch that. now it's at 57fps forever lol.

iavi

This game has such amazing art & music. I haven't gotten far enough to really judge much else, but it's firing on all cylinders so far.

Top Bottom