• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion |OT| of Rebuilding Worlds & Voices in My Head

Fou-Lu

Billychu said:
Restoration makes more sense the first time through.

While true in a way, it doesn't really explain how the Kid has all these weapons and stuff. Besides, there's no way I could make myself choose restoration over evacuation. I'd prefer to break the loop, stick with the characters I've gotten to know and get the girl.

ShaneB

Started this yesterday. Absolutely beautiful game and the music, as mentioned, is terrific as well.

Having so much fun unlocking all the weapons and upgrades. The narration is such a unique touch that adds so much.

Fou-Lu

gdt5016 said:
Any tips for the repeater challenge?

Roll whenever you are reloading or out of targets and always use lock on. Becomes incredibly easy. (Also for most of the proving grounds your weapon should be at least upgraded twice. Some are so easy you don't need to though)

Tawpgun

Spoilers!

I feel kind of dumb now for saving Zulf and restoring the bastion on my first playthrough. Like what's the point of risking your life to save Zulf and then restoring everything... lol.

However saving Zulf is MUUUUUCH better than dealing with that annoying battering ram.

I also think I like the Restoration as the first playthrough choice. Makes it seem like an endless time loop. I love those kind of endings. And then in New Game Plus you choose to evacuate.

Also, Yahtzee reviewed Bastion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvoC-Rt354&feature=related

He loved it.

Fou-Lu

A27 Tawpgun said:
I feel kind of dumb now for saving Zulf and restoring the bastion on my first playthrough. Like what's the point of risking your life to save Zulf and then restoring everything... lol.

However saving Zulf is MUUUUUCH better than dealing with that annoying battering ram.

I also think I like the Restoration as the first playthrough choice. Makes it seem like an endless time loop. I love those kind of endings. And then in New Game Plus you choose to evacuate.

Also, Yahtzee reviewed Bastion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvoC-Rt354&feature=related

He loved it.

Spoilers man, spoilers.

Just finished it too.

Gameplay is 1/5 at most. Combat and exploration in general.
Lack of final boss (or bosses) didn't help.
Hate these gauntlet of monsters for finale.
The HQ restoration thing (Bastion) has been done better in other games.

Music, art and narration gets 5/5 though.

Fou-Lu

theMrCravens said:

While I enjoyed every aspect of Bastion from beginning to end, I have to agree with this, if you really want a game with a good restoration aspect get Dark Cloud or Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2 in NA)

A27 Tawpgun said:
Fixed it. I guess I just assumed everyone must have played this masterpiece already :p

For us PC gamers it only came out 5 days ago. :(

Scapegoat

Ichor said:
While true in a way, it doesn't really explain how the Kid has all these weapons and stuff. Besides, there's no way I could make myself choose restoration over evacuation. I'd prefer to break the loop, stick with the characters I've gotten to know and get the girl.
I think it kind of makes sense given
the Kid's backstory (the pot of stew reflection?) about how he signed up for two runs defending the wall and then became a trusted scout before the calamity. Okay maybe not perfect sense but...

Just finished my second playthrough on 360. Excellent game. I love so much about it - most of all I think it nails the perfect balance of difficulty/reward/achievement. Does the Steam version come with the soundtrack? Or was that just a preorder bonus? Definitely thinking of buying this on Steam again (rather than just the soundtrack) if this is the case! (Damn whoever said the game looks better than 360 on PC...)

iavi

I just made it through Prosper Bluff. Imo, the narration had been fun but negligible up to that point. That set piece however? That was the best use of it thus far. Seriously, game defining stuff right there. I hope that's it not the only instance of it being used so well.

Half-Game spoilers: And to add another small critique on the narration; Kasavin, I really do wish you guys would have gotten
voice actors for the other survivors. It pulled me out a bit when I went to speak to Zulf, and the stranger narrated for him.
Granted, it's no big complaint, did make for some interesting foreshadowing, and is surprisingly understandable seeing your development process. But, imo, it would've went such a long way towards
fleshing them out and giving them that extra bit of personality.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kyaw said:
Army Carbine and Fire Bellow <3 <3 <3

So awesome. Fully upgraded too.
That's pretty much what I ran with for the last 1/4 of the game. Great combo.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
theMrCravens said:
Just finished it too.

Gameplay is 1/5 at most. Combat and exploration in general.
Lack of final boss (or bosses) didn't help.
Hate these gauntlet of monsters for finale.

Music, art and narration gets 5/5 though.

Thanks for spoiling the final battle. Totally worth it to hear your opinion.

Red

Miri said:
I just made it through Prosper Bluff. Imo, the narration had been fun but negligible up to that point. That set piece however? That was the best use of it thus far. Seriously, game defining stuff right there. I hope that's it not the only instance of it being used so well.

Half-Game spoilers: And to add another small critique on the narration; Kasavin, I really do wish you guys would have gotten
voice actors for the other survivors. It pulled me out a bit when I went to speak to Zulf, and the stranger narrated for him.
Granted, it's no big complaint, did make for some interesting foreshadowing, and is surprisingly understandable seeing your development process. But, imo, it would've went such a long way towards
Wait until you finish the game.

I took the ending song to be Zulf and Zia singing together.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished the game a few minutes ago, and while I enjoyed the game immensely more once more weapons were available, I still feel like the combat lacked something. Coming from ARPGs like Ys or Xanadu Next, Bastion feels...a little floaty. I also absolutely hated the controls for the
Calamity Cannon
. A fantastic first effort, and so many great decisions for overall design and presentation, but the actual combat left a lot to be desired.

Crunched said:
Wait until you finish the game.

I took the ending song to be Zulf and Zia singing together.
Sounds like you chose the same ending as I did?

Saving Zulf and embracing the new world?

thetrin

Crunched said:
Yes, the right way.
Yeah, it seemed like the right thing to do. In my New Game Plus, I will probably
Leave him to die, and restart the world.

totowhoa

Banned
How long is this game? School is about to start + Xenoblade is coming in the mail any day. I want to bolt through it if I can, though.

Edit: aw whatever I just bought it. Still wouldn't mind knowing though.

Tawpgun

Miri said:

For the entire game the narrator is in a different "time" than you. As you go around playing the game, the Narrator is sitting at the Bastion telling the story of the Kid to Zia. When you're about to make your decision you both meet back in the present, where you can talk to Zia and Rucks in the present tense

And holy shit.

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/64474/Bastion/review/

You rage you lose.

thetrin

Sklorenz said:
How long is this game? School is about to start + Xenoblade is coming in the mail any day. I want to bolt through it if I can, though.

Edit: aw whatever I just bought it. Still wouldn't mind knowing though.
8 hours.

thetrin

A27 Tawpgun said:
For the entire game the narrator is in a different "time" than you. As you go around playing the game, the Narrator is sitting at the Bastion telling the story of the Kid to Zia. When you're about to make your decision you both meet back in the present, where you can talk to Zia and Rucks in the present tense

And holy shit.

You rage you lose.
Oh god, that review narrator...

Just beat it.

My favorite (single player) game of all time. Probably. Was epic from beginning to end. I can't think of any bad things to say about the game, that's how I know it is a "perfect" game in my book. I wouldn't change a damn thing and it amazes me that this was SGG's first effort as a full team.

Time to start my new game+.

thetrin

Jintor said:
I dig my hole, you build a wall.
I dig my hole, you build a wall.
Some day that wall is gonna fall...
I have that on repeat in my apt right now. So relaxing

ShaneB

Pretty much marathoned this today and finished my first playthrough. What an incredible experience. Everything just felt so wonderful and flawless, definitely a perfect example of a developer really showing a true passion for the project.

Just bought this today on Steam. I saw a lot of GAF members on my friends list playing so I gave the demo a shot. I adore this game and I have only played about a hour of it so far. The narrator, the amazing art, the game play everything about this game is just amazing so far.

I am going to keep my eye on this developer for sure.

A27 Tawpgun said:

And holy shit.

You rage you lose.

I lost... Oh god I lost so hard...

I just finished Bastion. Wow, what a great journey. I can't wait to play newgame+. My combo of choice was the flamethrower/carbine rifle. Also I have to say the weapon trial levels are like crack, what fun!

I ended with
saving Zolf / Restoration - I figured I'd do the other combo in a 2nd playthrough

I did notice that the fantastic soundtrack uses quite a few Apple Logic loops.

thetrin

Soakedjunk said:
I just finished Bastion. Wow, what a great journey. I can't wait to play newgame+. My combo of choice was the flamethrower/carbine rifle. Also I have to say the weapon trial levels are like crack, what fun!

I ended with
saving Zolf / Restoration - I figured I'd do the other combo in a 2nd playthrough

I did notice that the fantastic soundtrack uses quite a few Apple Logic loops.

Hell yeah. Best combo.

iavi

I picked the carbine rifle up not too long ago and swapped that thing out with a quickness. Aiming with it feels more than awkward. Musket/Repeater 4 lyfe.

thetrin

Miri said:
I picked the carbine rifle up not too long ago and swapped that thing out with a quickness. Aiming with it feels more than awkward. Musket/Repeater 4 lyfe.
Upgrade the aiming speed and the reload. It's a kill cannon after that.

Shooting enemies from long range before they even see you is amazing.

LiK

Miri said:
Once you upgraded the Rifle with faster targeting and reloads, it's a godly weapon.

A27 Tawpgun said:
2ctDV.gif

Just finished the game today! Soooo much praise for the Supergiant guys. I had been following the behind the scenes videos from Giant Bomb but I had no idea that the soundtrack was gonna be that amazing. The only thing that threw me off a little was
Zia having a lot of VO at the end of the game considering the Narrator would talk for them usually.
Can't wait to see what these guys do next.

Jintor

I'd forgotten completely that GB had all this Bastion behind-the-scenes stuff. I don't watch that stuff pre-experience, but now's a great time!

tm24

So how many people have gotten all 13 achievements?

Just got the secret turret opera one by complete accident since i wanted to set up a turret death zone. It's so fun watching things die in seconds!

tm24 said:
So how many people have gotten all 13 achievements?

Just got the secret turret opera one by complete accident since i wanted to set up a turret death zone. It's so fun watching things die in seconds!

i got 200/200 Gamerscore - is that the same thing?

Fou-Lu

Talk about what I'd like Super Giant to do next, includes spoilers for Bastion:
While it would be nice to see what they'd do with an entirely different game, a sequel to Bastion could be incredible as well. Take the Evacuation ending as canon, the bastion crashes somewhere in the wilderness. Obviously most of your stuff is destroyed in the crash, explaining the Kid's weakness at the beginning of the game. Using the leftover parts of the Bastion they craft a shelter and the Kid goes to work as a scout. As he explores the world he finds a number of lonely, lost and outcast people to join your budding village. Finding materials along the way to build it up Dark Cloud style. Let me -I mean the Kid- get with Zia in it. Also allow us to jump near the beginning of the damn game. And throw in an assortment of unique weapons different from the first game, such as a harpoon, a axe or a shield that can bash. Also mining and other material gathering could fit well.

Top Bottom