• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

so i played a bit of the WiiU version today.

i did notice some technical issues especially when zipping through the city with the batclaw

however the gameplay itself is really good (well more of the same brawling and stealth stuff). the story seems interesting so far and the investigation stuff (with the gamepad functioning as a scanner) really is well done.

i really dont understand the bad reviews so far.

D-e-f-

Banned
so i played a bit of the WiiU version today.

i did notice some technical issues especially when zipping through the city with the batclaw

however the gameplay itself is really good (well more of the same brawling and stealth stuff). the story seems interesting so far and the investigation stuff (with the gamepad functioning as a scanner) really is well done.

i really dont understand the bad reviews so far.

more of the same, no matter how good = meh in game review land, especially in light of blind next gen hype

So I found one bug in the Wii U version. I got the complete a predator thing with out being scene, while doing Black Mask's most wanted. It posted to miiverse, told me I unlocked the sonic batarang etc etc. I subsequently fucked up the next part and died. When the game reloaded, my sonic batarang was locked again, it told me I hadn't accomplished that anymore, but when I look at my achievements it still list's it as being there. I just don't get anything for it.

Hopefully turning the game off and playing some more later will fix it, I ran into one bug when one of the towers. Where you need the gloves to destroy the two security boxes. Did both but the electricity was still there. Shut off the game, came back to it later, did a bunch of other stuff and went back to the tower and ohh hey the electricity is off I can finish this tower. Maybe I'll restart the game and my sonic batarangs will be there.................maybe..................

more of the same, no matter how good = meh in game review land, especially in light of blind next gen hype

this is not true at all. usually more of the same is awarded with great scores (see Ass4, CoD, Battlefield, GTA, Halo 4 etc. etc.). You may see some of the "more of the same" discount if it really has become stale as sh... but usually its a safer route then trying something new and getting punished (cough cough W101.).

tim1138

Had my first lock up on the Wii U this morning (after about 30 hrs of playtime) while collecting Riddler datapacks.
Are there datapacks in the hotel you can only get during storymode? I went in to clear it out and couldn't get past the Overlook Bar.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Had my first lock up on the Wii U this morning (after about 30 hrs of playtime) while collecting Riddler datapacks.
Are there datapacks in the hotel you can only get during storymode? I went in to clear it out and couldn't get past the Overlook Bar.

I went there yesterday and I couldn't get past the bar, but I didn't need to I had no datapacks on the other side.

Enigma payoff was kind of slim. I ended up feeling like I wasted a Saturday on it.

witness

My goodness! I just finished up the level
where you go through and confront Bane and the Joker in the penthouse
, it was easily my favorite level in all three games so far.
It was just incredible how varied going through that building was, the surprise of seeing Batman through the TV camera as you were fighting, the cinematic after ward that lead to the Bane fight, and the ending cinematic of Batman catching Joker! Just incredible incredible work. Then you actually get to see inside of the insane asylum that is the Joker's mind and play as him and meet Harley, so good and surprising!

I love this game.

Vlodril

My goodness! I just finished up the level
where you go through and confront Bane and the Joker in the penthouse
, it was easily my favorite level in all three games so far.
It was just incredible how varied going through that building was, the surprise of seeing Batman through the TV camera as you were fighting, the cinematic after ward that lead to the Bane fight, and the ending cinematic of Batman catching Joker! Just incredible incredible work. Then you actually get to see inside of the insane asylum that is the Joker's mind and play as him and meet Harley, so good and surprising!

I love this game.

This is the first time i have actually liked joker as a character. Usually he does nothing for me but that whole level and the intro to harley was fantastic. I really liked his characterization throughout the game.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Spoiler for the people bet the game...

Anyone else noticed the similarities of Knightfall and this game? Currently reading the comicbook for the first time and while its not a 1:1 conversion of the storyline, its at least very simlar. All the villiains of Knightfall are in it (Only Scarecrow is missing and Black Mask, Deathstroke and Deadshot are added), it features an attack on the Batcave, Bane figuring out who Batman is, Alfred is attacked and there is a Outbreak in the prision where the supervillains are jailed.

I am not yet finished, I just entered Blackgate the second time, so please dont spoiler me, but did anybody else noticed this, too?

Dave1988

Welp, I joined the illustrous "stuck at 99% overall completion" club. Done everything there is to do in SP outside IATM and still no dice. This game really had no QA.

Jesus Christ :/

I think Lima's the only one so far who managed to get 100% on his save without it glitching out. Lucky bastard :p

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

You can beat the game and return to get anything, if that's what you're asking. I don't recall exactly what spot Overlook Bar is, but I went and picked up everything from the hotel after finishing the story.

tim1138

You can beat the game and return to get anything, if that's what you're asking. I don't recall exactly what spot Overlook Bar is, but I went and picked up everything from the hotel after finishing the story.

Is there a data pack on the outside of the hotel? My map is showing one but I can't find it to save my life.

suaveric

So I found one bug in the Wii U version. I got the complete a predator thing with out being scene, while doing Black Mask's most wanted. It posted to miiverse, told me I unlocked the sonic batarang etc etc. I subsequently fucked up the next part and died. When the game reloaded, my sonic batarang was locked again, it told me I hadn't accomplished that anymore, but when I look at my achievements it still list's it as being there. I just don't get anything for it.

Hopefully turning the game off and playing some more later will fix it, I ran into one bug when one of the towers. Where you need the gloves to destroy the two security boxes. Did both but the electricity was still there. Shut off the game, came back to it later, did a bunch of other stuff and went back to the tower and ohh hey the electricity is off I can finish this tower. Maybe I'll restart the game and my sonic batarangs will be there.................maybe..................

Ha, I had the exact same thing happen to me in the same place. Resetting won't help, you have to re-earn the sonic batarang. Definetly a bug.

That's really annoying, I don't think there are too many more predator encounters are there?

Rooftop enemies and enemies patrolling areas outside with guns count as predator encounters; those respawn (GCPD rooftop, outside Bane's HQ, outside steel mill). However, some of the predator challenges require access to destructible walls, vents and explosive containers, some of which don't exist in those respawning areas. All interiors become empty after the story is finished. Only way to complete that stuff without doing during the first playthrough is to start New Game +

Chairhome

I had the same glitch on the pc version. And now even if I do the same achievement, I don't get it checked off. Pretty annoying.

Wasp

I've now got every single datapack in the game.

Was pretty easy to get them all, the Riddler trophies in AC were much trickier to get.

The Outlook Bar is as far as you can get when revisiting that section, you them have to turn around and backtrack the same way to get back out.

tim1138

The Outlook Bar is as far as you can get when revisiting that section, you them have to turn around and backtrack the same way to get back out.

Yeah, I figured that out, I was wondering if there were any beyond that point that you can only get in the story.

These data packs are such a grind.

Yeah, I figured that out, I was wondering if there were any beyond that point that you can only get in the story.

These data packs are such a grind.

No, there isn't.

I managed to finish off the last of the "Worst Nightmare" challenges in the Bridge on my NG+ run, and finished off NG+ this weekend.

My GF went to Bluewater on Sat, and managed to find a copy of Arkham Asylum: GOTY. The bonus was, that despite being listed as pre-owned, it was clearly a copy that they found out the back and just opened up and listed as pre-owned. It was not only in immaculate condition, but it was clear the case had only been opened maybe once or twice (it had a very distinctive stiffness to it). The manual and 3D glasses had never been touched. the disc still had packing dust on it, AND it WASN'T an "Xbox Classics" version, but the pre-classics version with the groovy lenticular sleave.

They wanted a tenner for it, and it was part of their "Buy 2 get 1 free" on pre-owned promotion.

I've already 1000/1000 both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City (well, 1500/1500 for City), but AA:GOTY has its own achievement list, and I've been hankering for a re-visit to the nut house since playing Origins and also going back to City to get those last 2 Nightwing related achievements.

Playing through Asylum again feels VERY different to both Origins and City (control wise), but it's great to be working through it again. My only real problem so far is that I'm constantly pressing RT to hang from vantage points, when the game wants me to press B.

It's also awesome to get riddle challenges again rather than just "here's a trophy/datapack, figure out how to unlock the cage".

Funtimes!

Initial impressions on PC are very positive. Not getting the sense that Montreal has dropped the ball at all.

I already feel like the open world is an improvement on Arkham City. It has a far more impressive sense of height and scale and making your way around it is an absolutely smooth experience. It actually feels like you're in a city! Whizzing around as the snow pelts down is fun. There are more restrictions in terms of getting around, though, and that is a negative. I thought I would hate the recycling of the Arkham City area, but it's cool seeing it before it went to shit.

Visually, I had heard the game was a step down from Arkham City, but I'm not feeling that at all. Perhaps there is slightly less finer detail, but the overall impression is that the game looks better and runs better. I did add some sweetfx settings that made it look sharper and darker, though.

Gameplay is very similar to what's come before, but I don't mind that at all. The story is shaping up nicely as well.

New Batman voice guy is not as good as old guy, but he does a serviceable job.

Also not encountered any bugs, which I guess is the advantage of coming to the party late.

So far, I'm just seeing more evidence of a shitty games press at work, picking on a game that doesn't deserve it, while praising other games that do. But I guess the jury's still out since I've only played a couple of hours.

I'm playing through asylum and city right now and itching to get origins but can't justify $60 purchase based on glitches and poor reviews. I'm a huge batman fan so I'll probably like it even if it sucks cause but full price is tough for me to justify. Is Neogaf consensus (as far as there is one) different from reviews (I haven't watched any videos cause don't want to spoil)??

Sojgat

So still no fix for the Corrupt Save Game bug on 360?

I hope WB are taking their time, and not stressing too much over all the technical problems. They have my money, that's the main thing.

schlew

A guy at work is picking up the PS3 version. I'm on Wii U so I haven't paid much mind to the issues of the PS3 version of the game.

Is there still a consensus on deleting a particular patch for better performance? He may be playing it tonight and I'd like to pass this along to him.

JohnDoe

Banned
Already posted this in the review thread but then I saw the OT:

I finished the game today, still got side missions to do. I'm really surprised at the reviews though. It's kinda weird to see reviewers give COD or other franchises that barely change with each release to get constantly good scores but this series dared to do 2 similar games out of 3 and the reviews take a nosedive.
The destructoid review is especially full of shit. At one point Jim said the boss fights aren't as good as City but I think it's quite the opposite, the boss fights in Origins are better than the boss fights in City especially the final battle against
Bane, it was super terrifying.
If you liked Arkham City and you are ready for more of the same stuff, you might wanna get this game. If I had played it before Arkham City it would definitely be my favorite.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Reviews are always full of shit when they are written for reasons other than an evaluation of the game itself.

Turning a review into some sort of grandstanding statement of the direction of the industry is kind of a dick move, if you ask me.

D-e-f-

Banned
Reviews are always full of shit when they are written for reasons other than an evaluation of the game itself.

Turning a review into some sort of grandstanding statement of the direction of the industry is kind of a dick move, if you ask me.

*recalls Kohler's Pikmin 3 review*

*nods in agreement*

velociraptor

Finished the game today. Enjoyed it far more than I expected, and it certainly is a better game than Arkham City. Voice acting was also remarkably on point.

Fantastic game. Last boss was hard was hell though.

I have a copy of Arkham Asylum on Steam. Is it worth playing? I really don't like the suit design of Batman in AA. It's deterring me from the game, as ridiculous as it sounds.

Imbarkus

Definitely play through it. Worth it for the Scarecrow sections alone.

neoism

lol this game man I was playing my new game plus running around the city... getting the Enigma data things, and the building right in-front of the tower with that glitch doesn't have any collision at all and I just fly right through it :/ so the data on top is a no go...
Man..:/ All these glitches I was wanting to 100% this but I think I will just beat the story one more time and do all the side-quests and play AA or AC instead... no glitches in either of those games.

lol this game man I was playing my new game plus running around the city... getting the Enigma data things, and the building right in-front of the tower with that glitch doesn't have any collision at all and I just fly right through it :/ so the data on top is a no go...
Man..:/ All these glitches I was wanting to 100% this but I think I will just beat the story one more time and do all the side-quests and play AA or AC instead... no glitches in either of those games.

Currently not possible, lol. There's a glitch which lists less character trophies than there are in the game (most people who have technically 100%'d have something like 47/46 character trophies) and almost twice as much unlockable artwork than there is in the game (only 81 pieces of artwork, but listed as 81/120).

As such, no-one can possibly get more than 99% completion and everyone so far has been denied the freaky looking "Worst Nightmare" skin.

It's a god damned shame.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support/100-impossible-to-achieve/m-p/38901#U38901

c3cqRow.jpg

Finished the game today. Enjoyed it far more than I expected, and it certainly is a better game than Arkham City. Voice acting was also remarkably on point.

Fantastic game. Last boss was hard was hell though.
Infinite unnecessary goons, I hated them, but it was awesome.

I have to say, yes Origins is better than Asylum and City, but better here is subjective, cause the game is flawed to a degree.

I have a copy of Arkham Asylum on Steam. Is it worth playing? I really don't like the suit design of Batman in AA. It's deterring me from the game, as ridiculous as it sounds.
Yeah go for it, Just don't expect the more personal feel of Origins, still Asylum is one damn fine game.
Just made my way up to the penthouse at the Royal
hmmmm, you still got some good length coming, probably 2-3hrs or something.

Dave1988

Currently not possible, lol. There's a glitch which lists less character trophies than there are in the game (most people who have technically 100%'d have something like 47/46 character trophies) and almost twice as much unlockable artwork than there is in the game (only 81 pieces of artwork, but listed as 81/120).

As such, no-one can possibly get more than 99% completion and everyone so far has been denied the freaky looking "Worst Nightmare" skin.

It's a god damned shame.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support/100-impossible-to-achieve/m-p/38901#U38901

Well, apparently it's possible to get 100% on the Wii U version as it only requires you to have 80/80 concept art unlocked instead of the 80/120 like on the other versions. Strangely enough, you get nothing for getting 100%. No Worst Nightmare skin, no nothing. At least according to the poster that provided this pic:

n5sb4mrld2x.jpg

At least they're aware that such an issue exists but who the hell knows if they'll ever get around to fixing it since they don't consider it a "priority".

Sojgat

Already posted this in the review thread but then I saw the OT:

I finished the game today, still got side missions to do. I'm really surprised at the reviews though. It's kinda weird to see reviewers give COD or other franchises that barely change with each release to get constantly good scores but this series dared to do 2 similar games out of 3 and the reviews take a nosedive.
The destructoid review is especially full of shit. At one point Jim said the boss fights aren't as good as City but I think it's quite the opposite, the boss fights in Origins are better than the boss fights in City especially the final battle against
Bane, it was super terrifying.
If you liked Arkham City and you are ready for more of the same stuff, you might wanna get this game. If I had played it before Arkham City it would definitely be my favorite.

It's best to ignore Jim Sterling when it comes to reviews, it's not really a part of his skillset. He can pontificate and grandstand with the best of them though.

GeoGonzo

Well, after waiting for two weeks to see if WB fixed my corrupted savegame and seeing that they've barely acknowledged this issue I gave up and started another playthrough. In the meantime I've been playing AC and it pretty much confirmed my previous thoughts on how combat in AO is janky and a step back for the franchise. And yes, going back to AC also highlights how much better the story and cinematics are in AO... but is that enough to consider it a better game given its lack of polish and worse combat? I really don't think so.

I just started the game and I'm having a good time, even if it's familiar. Frankly more of the same isn't an issue with me if the source material is as good as Arkham City.

With that said, my biggest gripe with the game so far is the revamped upgrade system. I hate that just about everything had been narrowed down to 2 upgrade trees. Why the hell should I dump 3 precious points into ballistic armor just to unlock the battarang takedown? Stupid.

I've also become acutely aware on how reliant I was on the x5 takedown upgrade; in earlier games it would be one of my first upgrades, but this time around its locked deep in the tree. It's tough to rack up anything above a x16 multiplier lol

Tsukumo

With that said, my biggest gripe with the game so far is the revamped upgrade system. I hate that just about everything had been narrowed down to 2 upgrade trees. Why the hell should I dump 3 precious points into ballistic armor just to unlock the battarang takedown? Stupid.

I've also become acutely aware on how reliant I was on the x5 takedown upgrade; in earlier games it would be one of my first upgrades, but this time around its locked deep in the tree. It's tough to rack up anything above a x16 multiplier lol

One of the reasons why I can't bring myself to accept that there are people saying this game is better than City.

I just started the game and I'm having a good time, even if it's familiar. Frankly more of the same isn't an issue with me if the source material is as good as Arkham City.

LOL, I had the same issue, I was like "why is it taking long to be able to do a takedown" just to see it has to be 8X

Top Bottom