• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

The problem is that challenge in past Arkham games was about keeping one long combo, not merely escaping damage...

Brilliant post, man. That emphasis on maintaining your combo at all costs is the main thing I think WB Montreal didn't understand. Between the barely-differentiated armoured enemies, the Concussion Detonator that actually puts you in danger rather than helping you, the more aggressive regular enemies and the ease with which Batman will just randomly drop combos by attacking empty air, AO's combat has lost that perfectly-dependable, rock-solid feel of Rocksteady's games. Things that were once 100% reliable just aren't any more, which undermines the fundamental idea of freeflow combat.

I still don't know why they think Batman needs a Devil Trigger, either. I guess it was alright as a bullet point on the back of the box for the Wii U version of Arkham City, but the Shock Gloves are just an 'I win' button in Origins. As soon as you fill up your meter it's all over bar the button mashing. The advanced enemy types are there to make it trickier to keep your combo going, and to further emphasise the need to have that combo in the first place because you always want to have a special move at the ready to deal with them. Good ol' risk/reward stuff; if you used the wrong attack against a certain enemy type you'd be back to square one and it'd be even harder to start your combo again. Origins just teaches you to get some random punches in until you can turn on Batman's magic fists and mash away.

Also the armoured enforcers just aren't much fun. You really can't risk any lengthy manoeuvres while they're in play, because they constantly chase you and they're always there. In AC you'd use the Bat Swarm to clear a space to do an Ultra Stun on a Titan, but with Origins' more aggressive enemies you can't really fit one in. You end up doing this endless Beatdown, having to counter a guy coming up behind you every three hits.

I think the Venom users are pretty cool, though. They're relatively easy to deal with if you just go for the Instant Takedowns, but obviously Beatdowns will get you way more points. And the Martial Artists are excellent. They really fit the paradigm of having to stay cool under pressure in the Arkham games, because you want to just mash the counter button but you know you have to wait for juuuust the right moment. They don't work so well on NG+, though, because you can't tell their 'special attacks' (i.e. ones you have to hit Counter twice for) from their regular ones without the Counter icons. You just have to mash the Counter button every time they attack. AC had that problem, too, though, with the Assassins and their Blade Dodge Takedowns (and they attacked faster on NG+, just to really screw you up :p).

Well, the statues at the top of the Royal Hotel seem to suggest that it's not out of the realms of possibility...

Z1txzbi.png
WOW, never noticed that.

Man, I don't find a place to do the 50m dive (Gotham Protector #12). Any tips?
Go to the highest point you can on the bridge --better if you use the booster to gain altitude-- then glide to the side and dive down till you reach the ice underneath the bridge, that should do it.
Try to dive asap not glide too much and lose altitude.

phoenixyz

Go to the highest point you can on the bridge --better if you use the booster to gain altitude-- then glide to the side and dive down till you reach the ice underneath the bridge, that should do it.
Worked perfectly, thanks man.

I found the best place to be from the top of the Soder Cola building. Face the same direction as the bridge, glide, till you start to pick up speed (screen blurs slightly) and then pull up. You should end up higher than when you jumped off, and by that point be over the river. There's more than 50M of empty space beneath you at that point.

In fact, from there you can keep divebomb/gliding across the entire span of the river and a fair way into the Industrial section.

Worked perfectly, thanks man.
Anytime.

So, Court of Owls DLC confirmed?

If so, I'd like [a] Talon as a playable character. Would actually be pretty cool idea.
Also in challenge maps -either he comes in Origins or Arkham III-, heck I actually think Challenge room should expand when it comes to characters, where is
the Joker ?!, heck he was playable in Origins
, I'd like to control Bane as well, Azrael is a must in Arkham III, and of course Deathstroke with a sword.

I found the best place to be from the top of the Soder Cola building. Face the same direction as the bridge, glide, till you start to pick up speed (screen blurs slightly) and then pull up. You should end up higher than when you jumped off, and by that point be over the river. There's more than 50M of empty space beneath you at that point.

In fact, from there you can keep divebomb/gliding across the entire span of the river and a fair way into the Industrial section.
well that may work as well.

Origins got so many tall buildings, it was fun to go up and down.

so i am right before the firefly fight i really dig the game. i wouldnt put it above asylum but its close to city so far. tech issues are notable though (i am playing the U version)

merrick97

Banned
As I have said a million times the combat has tons of frustrating problems. I liked the new enemies, but they completely screwed up the way the camera works.

The camera is the absolute biggest enemy in the game I can't begin to count how many times I got screwed by some damn enemy that I couldn't see.

As I have said a million times the combat has tons of frustrating problems. I liked the new enemies, but they completely screwed up the way the camera works.

The camera is the absolute biggest enemy in the game I can't begin to count how many times I got screwed by some damn enemy that I couldn't see.

The camera is indeed garbage, I hate how it works, you will get used to it -hopefully-. but it still gets on my nerve when I get hit from behind.

Xux

I was sad after the camera switched back to normal after the news chopper part. I was, like, "Yeah! I can see!" and then I was, like, "Aw."

I finished the game yesterday on WiiU.

I played around 50% of the game on TV and the other 50% on the gamepad.

The Story is definately one of the Highlights of this game. I loved the "assassins" come to get you setting and it integrated a lot of characters into the stoyline well. (Especially compared to Arkham City, which had some severely disjointed storylines.) The "Batman has been doing his thing for just 2 years" setting also felt like a fresh look at things (especially regarding Bane, Joker and Harley).

The Gameplay is just as good as ever. However i did experience some lag issues on WiiU (I heard that this is true on other versions as well). The puzzles are still interesting, the city is big and well made and the battle system is as good as ever (both Stealth and Brawling).

The Gampead usage was also really well done. Especially the investigation bits and the use of the map on gamepad was great.

Overall I really still dont get the bad scores. I enjoyed it a lot and would put it on a same level as arkham city (Id say arkham asylums till is the best by a margin)

Gbraga

I think I like Origins' combat better because yo have to commit to moves. I don't personally think it encourages you to just stand there and counter just because that's boring and stylish play is its own reward when it requires skill, but at the same time I think the skill system is terrible. I like skill trees, but not for this kind of game.

EDIT: I also really liked the new enemies, I hope Rocksteady adopts them for their next game. The ninjas (or whatever) and Venom users were a fun addition to the combat dynamic.

JakeD

does anybody have any pointers for a completely stealth predator encounter? i just did one where i thought i was perfect, only to find out i was actually "seen" 6 times..wtf?

does anybody have any pointers for a completely stealth predator encounter? i just did one where i thought i was perfect, only to find out i was actually "seen" 6 times..wtf?

My advice, seek a room early in the game, and only takedown enemies from behind, meaning no ledge takedown, or inverted takedown, or vent takedown, keep it up close and personal.

I am not sure this will work but give it a try, glide around the city, till you see any building with ONLY 2 guards, sneak behind each one of them and take him down, I think that will do.

Edit: try not to make any guard knows/sees a taken down teammate, it may be the reason why.

JakeD

My advice, seek a room early in the game, and only takedown enemies from behind, meaning no ledge takedown, or inverted takedown, or vent takedown, keep it up close and personal.

I am not sure this will work but give it a try, glide around the city, till you see any building with ONLY 2 guards, sneak behind each one of them and take him down, I think that will do.

Edit: try not to make any guard knows/sees a taken down teammate, it may be the reason why.

yeah i have a feeling it includes guys who "see" you for a split second before you knock them out. which pretty much limits your takedowns to "silent"

So I fished the main story, and just have like 2/3's of Enigma's most wanted, and some of the escaped prisoners left to finish. Which I'm considering the game close enough to done to give my final thoughts on it. Which I don't think change that much from what I've said earlier. This still sits firmly between City and Asylum for me.

There are 3 things they could have changed that would have put this above City for me. Put the upgrade system back to how it was in City. Locking upgrades to a stupidly laid out tree, with 1/3 of them locked behind side missions or accomplishments just annoyed the fuck out of me.

Put the enemy attack animations speed and aggressiveness back to what they were in city, or allow me to break more animations. I get that this is early in his career and they wanted you to feel a little less like machine of destruction he was in city, but I think this was the wrong way of going about it. It just led to more frustration IMHO, than increasing the challenge.

Lastly, restore the grapple points, and have equal amount of them for the new buildings. It felt like they got rid of a ton of grapple points that were there in City, and that you had to be closer to them before you could make use of them.

It's a great series, and making a metroid style game in the Batman world was a stroke of genius. Though I think I may be close to having had enough with Batman. Definitely have had enough of the collection of villains they keep using for him. If I ever have to fight Bane again it'll be too damn soon.

That said, I REALLY wish they would expand the gameplay to other characters. We get hints of it with the DLC from the other games, or the challenge maps and such, but I want more. This game has me really wanting a Birds of Prey, or even a Green Arrow game done in the same vain.

Give me a game with Catwoman, Black Canary, and a young Barbara Gordan as Batgirl and I'll be damn happy.

yeah i have a feeling it includes guys who "see" you for a split second before you knock them out. which pretty much limits your takedowns to "silent"
yeah it is kinda messed up, I cleared many rooms without being seen just to have seen in the afterward report.

Was it better afterwards?^^

I had the same problems as you, but I messed around with the camera options and then it was perfectly playable^^

Thank you mate, It really is a bunch of time better, I just tried it in a challenge map, I felt it was way more natural this way around.

though I am still not that good as Batman, I am better as Deathstroke.

When you have to sneak into the police station there is a part where you get to a room packed with cops and batman says to himself there is no way he can take that many and he needs to get around them.

Well I beat them all

e3p7.jpg

Kabuto

Finally got all of the data packs; it was such a chore compared to City's Riddler trophies. Most of the data packs were just there for you to grab, there was just no effort put into them. The secret room you got for getting them all was cool though.

Has the glitched radio tower been fixed yet?

yeah it has, on PC at least.

When you have to sneak into the police station there is a part where you get to a room packed with cops and batman says to himself there is no way he can take that many and he needs to get around them.

Well I beat them all

e3p7.jpg

hahahaha

jett

D-Member
Well, this is one game filled with shitty design. You can take the core from somewhere, but won't help you much if you don't know what you are doing. I don't know if WB Montreal has made it easier or harder for Rocksteady to impress with their next game. I'm definitely all Arkham'd out.

Derrick01

Banned
If anything Rocksteady seriously needs to step their game up after this game. They did quite a few things better and the only way a Rocksteady game can impress me is if they do another quantum leap with the series like AC was after AA.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Is there any way to collect all Diary pages without looking in a guide from the Internet?

Just found the first accidentialy, but I have absolutly no idea where to finde the others.

I think I'll start another playthrough tomorrow, I kinda want to experience those boss battles again.

Such a shame there is no boss arena/mode, especially with how awesome their boss battles are, they stayed way too much in RockSteady's shadow, that they didn't take any risks at all.

i told myself I wouldn't get this until the price drops but I just watched Year One on Netflix and I am too much of a batnerd to pass it up. I beat in 4 days with like 45 percent total completion on first run.

Pros

- Same engine as previous games so combat and stealth are still superb.
- Although combat was not quite as good as AC (some unecessary tweaks) I thought stealth was improved in this game or at least I enjoyed the stealth arenas (the aesthetics especially) more (loved the
pool arena
. The batclaw was nice touch even if it made things a bit easy.
- I think story was same quality as previous games, but the presentation was better. It had a nice gritty feel to it...
- Great character designs and a good mixture between cartooney and realistic batman.

Cons

- Too safe and didn't really add anything to the series gameplay wise. The combat wasn't a step up and if anything went backwards a tad. I felt that AC flowed better.
- It lacked the charm of Asylum and City in its art design, it may have looked better but everything seems a little bland. No unique touches that were all over previous games.
- Gotham City was a little boring and the riddler stuff sucked compared to Arkham Citys. I didn't really have fun with them at all and I collected everything in City.
- Side missions were decent but nothing spectacular.
- I played AC right before, and amount of copy and pasted stuff was blatant and came off as lazy to me.
- Upgrade system was horrible. And really whole menu interface was a chore to navigate.
- combat and predator rooms were fun but I found I was much more addicted to ACs and didn't have an itch to go back to Origin's rooms after I did them once or twice...

Those were first thoughts after beating game. Overall good game, but my least favorite of the series.

3. Origins <<<< 2. Asylum <<<<<<<<<<<<<< 1. Arkham City

Amazing series though. Can't wait for next one!!!

Sojgat

So I finished the game and started over on new game+, and I've noticed something interesting. During combat, just watching the enemy attack animation is far more effective than relying on the flashing counter icons. Even after unlocking all the combat upgrades I was still getting thrown off sometimes on my first playthrough. Now I don't think it was a matter of the enemies being more aggressive (which they certainly are), but of their counter icons sometimes appearing very late into their attack animations, leaving a very small window to respond. Waiting for that those counter icons is what was messing me up.

Might be new thread worthy but it looks like there will be a Batman Arkham Trilogy collection out on PS3/360/PC....this week. :lol

http://www.game.co.uk/en/batman-ark...-255573?pageSize=20&categoryIdentifier=348107

Might be handy knowledge for those who don't have them all.

Of course there is.

and since you don't get the extra stuff of the Season Pass of Origins, I think it is pretty safe to say there will be yet another collection. XD

haikira

and since you don't get the extra stuff of the Season Pass of Origins, I think it is pretty safe to say there will be yet another collection. XD

It's not only Origins that's lacking DLC in the trilogy collection, but Asylum and City too. According to the link below from Eurogamer.

In fact, I think the PC version includes the GOTY version of Asylum and City, it's the PS3 and 360 versions which get vanilla only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-14-batman-arkham-collection-headed-to-pc-ps3-xbox-360-next-week

EDIT: Oh and Asylum and City are only downloadable codes. That sucks.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

I doubt it. I'm not countin gon it for Mass Effect Trilogy, either.

It's not only Origins that's lacking DLC in the trilogy collection, but Asylum and City too. According to the link below from Eurogamer.

In fact, I think the PC version includes the GOTY version of Asylum and City, it's the PS3 and 360 versions which get vanilla only.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-14-batman-arkham-collection-headed-to-pc-ps3-xbox-360-next-week

That's ridiculous. Just pick up the Humble Bundle (http://www.humblebundle.com) and you get the GOTY version of both the first two PC games for less than $5, plus the F.E.A.R. series, War in the North, and Guardians of Middle Earth.

RPGCrazied

Still haven't beat the game, lol. Gave it a rest when I was getting freezes
on the bridge to go after firefly.

I'll try again when 1.04 hits.

ShadyJ

Worst collection ever, its just a shitty re branded box with an Origins Blu-Ray with Asylum/City download codes..

Jesus.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Anyone else disappointed that Electrocutioner
only serves as a joke boss? Maybe WB Montreal ran out of ideas on how to make his boss fight interesting.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Worst collection ever, its just a shitty re branded box with an Origins Blu-Ray with Asylum/City download codes..

Jesus.

Just five hours left on that humble WB bundle you guys...

Just WOW, that is kinda awful.
I never get why there would be a collection without the extra dlc stuff.

I doubt it. I'm not countin gon it for Mass Effect Trilogy, either.
But it seems like the right thing to do, when you get a Collection Edition or something you expect to get the full games with everything released afterwards, hence Complete.

Imbarkus

Just WOW, that is kinda awful.
I never get why there would be a collection without the extra dlc stuff.

But it seems like the right thing to do, when you get a Collection Edition or something you expect to get the full games with everything released afterwards, hence Complete.

I get the feeling this collection, along with the Humble Bundle which includes some Origins DLC but not Origins, is all attempts to goose sales of this title. I'll bet WB had some pretty lofty sales expectations, and the reviews scores and game stability set them back a bit.

Sojgat

I just want to know if the bugs have been fixed?

Fix the combat and fix the bugs and I will easily bump the score up to 8/10

There's not really anything wrong with the combat, but there are still a lot of bugs in the game (playing on 360). I encountered a few progress inhibiting and audio bugs during my playthrough. I found that quitting out to the menu and reloading the save fixed them.

Top Bottom