• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Veelk

Banned
Veelk, I don't think that it is completely fair to weight a game's story against the expectations you had based on pre-release marketing... and I had no issues with the city (maybe it looks bland in consoles?) or the grappling hook (which in fact seems to latch from a much greater distance now), but I agree with the rest of your review.

Even if I don't look at the marketing, Deathstroke's appearance and exit is still pretty unceremonious. Them marketing him as THE rival just makes it sting a bit more. Villains, especially top tier guys like him, deserve more fanfare than randomly dropping in and getting their ass kicked.

And maybe the grappling hook was fixed in the patches? I don't have much of an internet connection on my xbox where I am. I don't know if the distance is longer, exactly (if it is, it's kind of negated by the fact that everything is so much bigger) but the stupid thing just doesn't take me where I want to go half the time. Even if it should because I'm right next to it, pointed at it, and within it's range. It was extremely unreliable for me.

RPGCrazied

Man, those cutscenes after the bane fight. So bizarre. Kind of cool to see how the
Joker meets and seduces Harley to the darkside.

One thing I do have a problem with, that was absolutely a conscious decision is that if I get killed/knocked out I can't choose to retry. I HAVE to retry... or at least wait till it all reloads and then choose to quit out.

The other games always gave you the choice on the gloat screen, but in Origins it automatically reloads. Sometimes I'm playing late, and that god-damned "just one more try" syndrome kicks in.

It's a very minor complaint... actually not much of one at all, but it's the only one I can think of that was totally a conscious decision to include and that I really don't like.

Man, those cutscenes after the bane fight. So bizarre. Kind of cool to see how the
Joker meets and seduces Harley to the darkside.

I wish there was a cutscene viewer included. The "synopsis" bit is all well and good, but it's no substitute.

Are there any outside predator areas that have hanging ledge takedown-compatible ledges and destructible walls? I already blew the ones that were outside the steel mill... sigh

jett

D-Member
One thing this game has shown me is that Rocksteady's next Batman better friggin' be way different than what I've played this gen. Talk about making a good thing feel extremely stale.

Tsukumo

Just finished. What a ride.

I only have one unanswered question at the end:
Why the hell was Bane so pissed at Batman?

Considering that Bane knows about Kirigi, Bruce's and Shiva's master, it's probably something about being next in line to be the favourite disciple or something like that. I think they wanted to stick to the movies' interpretation of Bane as a wanna be ninja.

Considering that Bane knows about Kirigi, Bruce's and Shiva's master, it's probably something about being next in line to be the favourite disciple or something like that. I think they wanted to stick to the movies' interpretation of Bane as a wanna be ninja.

Do some of the blackmail recordings mention that? I can't remember.

Veelk

Banned
I loved intelligent
Bane
. I hope they return him to his nonmentally challenged state in Rocksteady's next game, as well as have Black Mask back on top of his game
(for real this time)
. Great villains I want to see more of.

Finished it today before worked, not the strongest ending, but nowhere near that trainwreck mohawk joker was from Asylum.

I liked how after beating Bane in a fist fight, you wound up having to stealth his jacked up form. Too bad that amounted to running away after slowly walking up to his back, and going into a grate and waiting for him to come as he walked in a circle. Wish you had to do stuff like interacting with the environment to distract him.

Also wished they would've capitalzied on Joker's origin bit more than just that isolated interview scene that's really just a non sequitur in regards to the rest of the game though. The last scene with him and Batman being kind of underwhelming too. They did try to lay in the dyanmics of their relationship, but it definitly felt a bit light, especially with how Batman being beaten physcially and mentally was just kind of brought up and not fully exploited. The way Joker's theme popped up in the chapel was perfect though.

It was a good way to end the franchise on this batch of consoles, a solid if unsurprising and slightly flawed, revisit to Arkham City... wouldn't be surprised if Black Masks drug container models were the same that Rocksteady used for Bane's side quest in AC.

Finished it last night at only 27% completion, i have lots left to do obviously.

At times it felt like Arkham City 2.0, but i got into it, the cutscenes were well done imo. The story kicks into gear after an unenthusiastic start and keeps going and going.

Despite it being a prequel it felt weird having the Arkham City gadgets, that we did not have in Arkham Asylum. I know you can say storyline-wise that "he was not well equipped during the night of AA" but i think its bizarre. I get nitpicky over these things (kind of like how the predator vision was different in AvP/Avp 2 compared to the Predator movies and how the T-800 vision was the same in T1/T2, but different in T3).

Finished it last night at only 27% completion, i have lots left to do obviously.

At times it felt like Arkham City 2.0, but i got into it, the cutscenes were well done imo. The story kicks into gear after an unenthusiastic start and keeps going and going.

Despite it being a prequel it felt weird having the Arkham City gadgets, that we did not have in Arkham Asylum. I know you can say storyline-wise that "he was not well equipped during the night of AA" but i think its bizarre. I get nitpicky over these things (kind of like how the predator vision was different in AvP/Avp 2 compared to the Predator movies and how the T-800 vision was the same in T1/T2, but different in T3).

The completion stat on the save select takes into account your progress over Story, NG+, IATN mode and (I think) the challenges too, so don't feel like you haven't accomplished much. You're almost at 100% for one playthrough. That's not bad at all.

I put the lack of gadgets between Asylum and the other games as Batman just doesn't carry his entire arsenal everywhere with him. He has the essentials on him, and then a couple of bits in the Batmobile. Anything else he had airdropped in upon request.

I spose he just didn't feel like he needed anything else in the Asylum.

The only thing I find weird is when moves come and go (he lost his throw move, but gained a knife counter/takedown, aerial attack and various takedowns).

I get over it pretty quick though.

Lima

The completion stat on the save select takes into account your progress over Story, NG+, IATN mode and (I think) the challenges too, so don't feel like you haven't accomplished much. You're almost at 100% for one playthrough.

IATN mode doesn't count for 100%, everything else you mentioned is correct.

Waiting for the patch on this...

Didn't do much with the story. Just the first ten minutes or so. Going to complete Far Cry 3 first.

That said, I played the challenge room(I'm sure this has been mentioned a million times in this thread as well as others)and something is wrong with the the combat. At times countering or hitting the enemy doesn't seem to register in the game :-\

Waiting for the patch on this...
I was just going to ask about this. I've been away since Friday and I thought last week there was news that a new patch was coming 'within a week.' I was hoping there would be one waiting for me, but I guess not. I still haven't even downloaded the first one off Steam after hearing that it caused some new issues.

I'm not sure if it was patched up on PC or not to address the issues people are having with the end game stuff, but last night I was able to complete it on my PC without any issues.

Overall I really loved the presentation and narrative, but I'd be lying if I said the bugs didn't hinder my enjoyment of the game a bit. The gameplay sticks fairly close to the Arkham City formula, with a few caveats. They've sped up the frequency of enemy attacks and reduced the counter window. It also seems like the game may be stricter about not countering right after a counter appears. Quite often I found that I would have time to punch and then counter, yet the game simply would not allow it. I don't seem to remember that being the case in the previous games.

Anyway, I'll cut my impressions short and just say if you enjoy this series of games and don't feel burnt out by the gameplay systems, you absolutely should play Origins. It has, hands down, the best narrative of this trilogy of games.

Gbraga

Man this game is so good, and I'm curious to see where the story is going, but I just can't continue with the story until I clear everything I can, it's not even OCD, it's just that I know that if I finish the story I'll probably never go back to the side stuff.

I have around 12 hours and just got out of the GCPD building, does that sound right or am I aiming for Dennis playthrough times here?

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Just finished. What a ride.

I only have one unanswered question at the end:
Why the hell was Bane so pissed at Batman?

It's funny 'cuz I was reading the comics when
Bane
first showed up.

He's crafty and intelligent and a drug-enhanced super-soldier, but the scariest thing about original Bane, for me, is he's Batman's stalker. Batman's totally-unknown, super-obsessed stalker, from prison.

Raised in the prison since birth, to survive he isolated and personified all his fear into the filthy, flying, disease-carrying rodents that infested the place. After the venom experiments that led to his initial breakout, once he found out the was a man fighting criminals personified as a bat, with expensive bat planes, etc, he became obsessed with Batman. He showed up to Gotham having already figured out his identity.
Man. Fucking
Knightfall
was so good. DC Animated needs to get on that.

If they ever reboot
Bane
(new 52 didn't really do that) he should start by mailing Batman creepy anonymous letters directly to
Wayne
manor.

PS: I respected spoiler tagging that guy's name but... do we really need to??

Derrick01

Banned
Just got another 8mb patch on Steam. Anyone happen to know the notes? I guess I'll try in a little bit and see if my game is finally fixed.

Derrick01

Banned
YES they fixed the fight. At least the parts that I was getting stuck on, I'm not completely past that part yet so I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow I finished it already. I knew the glitch hit me when I was near the end but I didn't expect about 10-15 minutes from the end lol.

Despite the annoying progress impeding glitches I ran into I have to say I really enjoyed the game. From a gameplay point of view it was basically Arkham City 2.0 but unlike a lot of hypocritical reviewers I'm not going to bash a game for 1 attempt to copy a fantastic formula (next time I won't be as lenient though, it's time for change). The 1 new gadget that was added, the remote claw, was great and added some more complexity to the predator rooms. The combat in general was a lot tougher to get used to thanks to the increased aggression but after a few hours I settled in again. I also really liked the story which is a first for the series for me, it was quite a bit darker in tone.

The downsides are pretty similar to AC really. The boss fights were mostly not very good again with a couple of exceptions and the story is hurt a bit by having so many characters. While I enjoy seeing a lot of them when they're only around for 5 minutes before you fight them in some lackluster way you don't give them enough of a chance to develop into actual characters. The open world was also not very well done again thanks to poor side quests and not having any civilians around in an entire city. My biggest complaint however is what they did to the Riddler content. You no longer unlock side stories and challenge rooms as you get dozens of collectibles, just an audio tape for collecting an entire set. Many of them aren't placed nearly as intelligently as Rocksteady had them in AC, like there weren't as many puzzles.

Basically if AC was a 9.5 game then this was a 8.5. Really well done for a second studio's first crack at the formula and it achieved what they were going for, a game good enough to hold us over for Rocksteady's next true evolution of the formula. I loved how they handled the story and the younger, angrier Batman but I'm sad they won't be using him again and are going back to Conroy apparently.

Wow I finished it already. I knew the glitch hit me when I was near the end but I didn't expect about 10-15 minutes from the end lol.

Despite the annoying progress impeding glitches I ran into I have to say I really enjoyed the game. From a gameplay point of view it was basically Arkham City 2.0 but unlike a lot of hypocritical reviewers I'm not going to bash a game for 1 attempt to copy a fantastic formula (next time I won't be as lenient though, it's time for change). The 1 new gadget that was added, the remote claw, was great and added some more complexity to the predator rooms. The combat in general was a lot tougher to get used to thanks to the increased aggression but after a few hours I settled in again. I also really liked the story which is a first for the series for me, it was quite a bit darker in tone.

The downsides are pretty similar to AC really. The boss fights were mostly not very good again with a couple of exceptions and the story is hurt a bit by having so many characters. While I enjoy seeing a lot of them when they're only around for 5 minutes before you fight them in some lackluster way you don't give them enough of a chance to develop into actual characters. The open world was also not very well done again thanks to poor side quests and not having any civilians around in an entire city. My biggest complaint however is what they did to the Riddler content. You no longer unlock side stories and challenge rooms as you get dozens of collectibles, just an audio tape for collecting an entire set. Many of them aren't placed nearly as intelligently as Rocksteady had them in AC, like there weren't as many puzzles.

Basically if AC was a 9.5 game then this was a 8.5. Really well done for a second studio's first crack at the formula and it achieved what they were going for, a game good enough to hold us over for Rocksteady's next true evolution of the formula. I loved how they handled the story and the younger, angrier Batman but I'm sad they won't be using him again and are going back to Conroy apparently.

It'd be nice if WB gets another crack at Batman and we get a 'Year 3' Batman with a story that ties into Harvey Dent. I liked the depiction of the main villains in this one compared to the other (wasting Hugo Strange like that, god.)

Angry Batman is Best Batman.

I need to get one of those big chart notepad things and draw out my entire idea for two new Batman games. I have cracked the code and figured out the greatest Batman story ever told.

patch rolled out today

from the WB forums

Hi everyone,

The new patch 1.7 is now live on Steam, it should download automatically when you press the Play button.

Here`s what it will fix:

- Fixed Bane not spawning in prison

- Fix elevator that won’t move when generator is charged in GothamBridge

- Fix for getting stuck outside of GCPD shooting range

- Fix Jezebel Plaza Objective never clearing away after interrogating Santa Hat Thug

We are also currently testing another patch that we will hopefully release tonight that will address those issues:

•Fix buildings not properly loading when fast traveling
•Disabled invalid collision object in Mad Hatter level, which was preventing some players from crossing the river
•Fix for save corruption after Deadshot boss fight

And, we are still working on resolving these issues:

Bird thugs not spawning

Fatal Error when pressing Start button in boot screen

Stuck in Royal Hotel after not being able to grapple to Helicopter

So as you can see, we're really working hard on fixing those issues and will continue to do so.

Thanks for your patience,

GV

So, I may be blind but it doesn't mention a fix for the combat and the pressing of buttons not registering onscreen

:-\

Looks like I'll be waiting longer to play this

neoism

well beat it today.. was great but most def not the best one.. also it was hella short... but thankfully the patch today fix everything in my game.. I will mostly like play a new game plus some time or another.
AC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AA>AO

Derrick01

Banned
Short? I was at 25 hours before I hit the glitch at the end game and I didn't even have all the wanted posters done yet.

If anything Arkham Asylum's short. I finished that again before this came out at 6 hours with over 65% of the Riddler content.

neoism

Short? I was at 25 hours before I hit the glitch at the end game and I didn't even have all the wanted posters done yet.

If anything Arkham Asylum's short. I finished that again before this came out at 6 hours with over 65% of the Riddler content.

well me too I had 21 hours Im talking about the story...I'd say a run through would be about 10 hours or so...most of my time was from just exploring and fighting random thugs waiting for the damn patch to fix my game... I pretty sure running it in DX9 was why I never had anymore crashes... its mainly about the ending too right after the fight with bane.... it should have been longer.... also holy fucking shit the damn credit where like 30 minutes... SMFH...
Also anyone got the FOV to change I tried the one with the key f10 and just the regular FOV line, changed them both to 100 but its still like 65 or something :/

Derrick01

Banned
Whoa, really? I need to grab this game. Kind of hoping on a black friday deal, otherwise I'll grab it in December.

Well I had a few hours idling and a couple hours in challenge maps after my game was bugged, but there's easily 15+ hours of content in the game.

well me too I had 21 hours Im talking about the story...I'd say a run through would be about 10 hours or so...most of my time was from just exploring and fighting random thugs waiting for the damn patch to fix my game... I pretty sure running it in DX9 was why I never had anymore crashes... its mainly about the ending too right after the fight with bane.... it should have been longer.... also holy fucking shit the damn credit where like 30 minutes... SMFH...
Also anyone got the FOV to change I tried the one with the key f10 and just the regular FOV line, changed them both to 100 but its still like 65 or something :/

I dunno the story felt like it was a decent length, probably more so than AC. It's hard for me to keep track since I do so much other stuff in between the story areas.

So I'm a bit confused for the PS3 version...

Do I keep the latest update or get rid of them and play without?

Cause the framerate stutters and slows like crazy sometimes.

jakomocha

I haven't received my copy of the game yet in the mail but it was spoiled to me that
Black Mask is Joker
. Does that basically ruin the whole story for me? I was so excited for the game and now I'm just really upset.
Thanks.

Timu

6-7 hour campaign, 20+ to do everything.

You know the campaign is short when I found the Joker within the 2 hour mark, lol.

velociraptor

So what was that 'super terrible spoiler' everyone was talking about?

I'm at the part where I have found the
Joker in Roman's bank

Please don't spoil if I am yet to see the spoiler!

I can't play this while online (console version). I keep getting a message telling me to sign in even though I'm already online. Makes the game unplayable.

So what was that 'super terrible spoiler' everyone was talking about?

I'm at the part where I have found the
Joker in Roman's bank

Please don't spoil if I am yet to see the spoiler!

That was it, I believe.

Timu

Spoiler dude. Tag that shit. The game has already been damaged by gratuitous attitude from plenty of "professional" reviewers, the last thing it needs is people ruining the narrative experience to others.
I forgot about that, sorry.D=

Ugh, I'm getting crashes at startup now - the splash screen appears then before the game loads I get "Arkham Origins has stopped working". :/

witness

So I'm a bit confused for the PS3 version...

Do I keep the latest update or get rid of them and play without?

Cause the framerate stutters and slows like crazy sometimes.

I'm keeping it just to avoid any game crashing bugs, though I suppose if I get something like the falling through the world glitch I can just download it after to fix it. If you delete it though you need to download the DLC, Deathstroke and Knightfall, again. For my part I haven't experienced any glitches other than one freeze up in a challenge map that wasn't a big deal.

Top Bottom