• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Ambitious

Fortunately, you can get the 50x combo, then just run off, dodging out of the way to avoid getting hit, then tick off the checklist of moves needed.

This happened to me by luck, so I am not sure if it will wield result for you, but anyway, you know Riddler's HQ ?!
There is a group of 6 enemies or something right in front of it, like guarding the building or something, all you need to do is like defeat 3 of them, varying your combos of course, then escape above into the Riddle's HQ, then go back outside, and get down to deal with the other remaining 3 enemies.

Hopefully this would do it, I didn't believe it when the challenge was done, but hey I am not complaining.

damn, sorry about that, can't find any way else.

Thanks, I'll try that sometime. But for now, I'm done with the game. Unfortunately, NG+ is too hard for me; I'm stuck. I'm gonna wait until they patch predator room respawns in.

Wag

Is it just me or does anyone else find this game boring as hell? I'm up to the part with Bane and I just don't want to play anymore.

And the Martial Artists are excellent. They really fit the paradigm of having to stay cool under pressure in the Arkham games, because you want to just mash the counter button but you know you have to wait for juuuust the right moment. They don't work so well on NG+, though, because you can't tell their 'special attacks' (i.e. ones you have to hit Counter twice for) from their regular ones without the Counter icons. You just have to mash the Counter button every time they attack. AC had that problem, too, though, with the Assassins and their Blade Dodge Takedowns (and they attacked faster on NG+, just to really screw you up :p).
You can though. With their "Counter Twice" move, they run up and leap at you, you just have to watch out for their attack animation. But I agree the Martial Artists are one thing that really stood out to me as a positive new addition that Rocksteady should take a note of.

Just unlocked all medals in Challenge Mode yesterday, really did not enjoy the fact that you have to play the same maps in 3 separate listings (Ranked, Campaign, Custom), basically you have to play every map 3 or 4 times, so tedious. Only the multiplayer trophies stop me from my Platinum now......

I actually enjoyed NG+ and I Am The Night much more without the counter prompt, makes the combat more intense and you have to be observant of the enemies' movement and your surrounding. Perhaps the next game should start without the counter prompt by default? But as much as I love the Arkham series, I really don't think I can play another game with the same formula and mechanics. Hope Rocksteady has some nice surprises for us next-gen.

And please no more Joker. He has been the main villain for 3 games, that's more than enough. I feel like they pulled an "Iron Man 3" on us with the Black Mask being just a "puppet" villain so to speak. Very disappointed that they had to revert to Joker and Bane again (although the story and cut scenes are quite good).

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I paused a replay of Arkham City to go back and play Arkham Asylum this weekend. Still such a great crafted experience. The linear structure and design just allows them to craft a tale which expertly builds suspense. Like it or not, neither of the sequels are as successful in this regard.

I think for next-gen its time for the series to leave the open-world temptation of last gen behind, and get back to the basics of being batman: of sloppy messy fighting with street thugs and maniacs. If that ballet of combat can be redefined in a way that takes you closer to it, gives you more complete control, and takes it further away from "a circle of guys around you attacks one at-a-time" perception my wifge and daughter had when watching me play the game.

I don't think players would resent a linear game. I will say that the grapnel boost and gliding and dive-bombing added in City added a lot of entertaining game control and the feeling of "being Batman" (I just completed the Trials of the Demon again, a gliding challenge which interestingly had no follow-up in Origins--could've worked for Firefly). Going back to just-downward-gliding Batman from Asylum definitely felt weird.

How to make a non-open world that creates as compelling a gameplay experience as Asylum while still affording a designed trip through the world? I dunno, man. I guess that's why the Rocksteady guys make the big bucks. :)

One last note on Asylum. The predator room design had so mach variety! Round rooms lots of gargoyles and height, giant rectangles with lots of floor grates, goofy fucked-up angular rooms. Neither of the sequels approached it in terms of predator variety. Also, neither of the sequels mixed up "Detective Mode" color when tracking different forensic trails, something from Asylum I really appreciated for no good reason, that is now gone.

City only had some blood trail forensic trail stuff, just one color. I don't remember Origins doing it at all, although their innovation on forensic investigation--reconstructing the crime scene and scrubbing through the timeline, is really a very commendable innovation that should stay with the series from here on out.

Replaying these on PC, even on my old and pathetic 720p box, looks markedly better than the PS3 versions I played originally, mostly due to anti-aliasing. I can't help acknowledging the complaints that Origins' depiction of Gotham lacked some of the detail and distinction of both Asylum and City. It's true, but it seems like a decision made to accommodate the larger environment design, and the tone of the story. From an art design standpoint, Origins explores a more realistic interpretation of Gotham, and a more grounded interpretation of main characters like Bane and Batman himself.

Because, to me, the other significant contribution to the series from Origins is its tonal shift. The first two games have stories and tones that are essentially extensions of the animated series (greatly underscored by the voice acting) with some comic book interpretations grafted to a video game "grand tour" of Batman's rogue gallery. Joker's Titan formula needs to germinate in Ivy's plants because we need to fight Ivy. Ivy's spores only grow in Croc's Lair because we need to fight Croc. Ra's Al Ghul's Lazarus pit in under Arkham City because we need his blood for a cure, so we need to fight him. You can put on a stone-faced grin and be Batman through the whole plot of both games, no problem, but at the same time, it is very cartoonish.

The team behind Origins, in contrast, seems to take a lot of inspiration from Christopher Nolan's interpretation of Dark Knight, taking him away from the extra-long-eared rubber armer interpretation of the first two games and adding Kevlar and seams to Batman's outfit. The story of this game, and where it takes you, unfolds in a manner that is also more realistic and believable. Maybe it's because the much-advertised premise takes care of grouping a selection of rogues to deal with, but I also feel the story itself moves from encounter to encounter in a way that is more believable and less predictable.

The flip side of this is that some of those rogues end up a bit under-announced and under-played by the time you're done with them. The drawback of the marketing for this title featuring the rogues from the game is that somehow I expected a "headquarters" (and a predator encounter, and a proper boss fight) tailored to each of them. I got part of that, but then I got a game that veered away from that and gave me a Joker story.

I would consider that a spoiler, but I ordered the Collector's Edition and right there in the statue is the Joker, not Black Mask. So... duh.

But once I cast aside my expectations and bought in for what it was,
their interpretation of the origin of the Batman/Joker conflict
, I actually found it to be the best Batman/Joker story of the series. And that's just because the first one gets points off for aping the Joker-on-venom premise of The Batman's "Brawn" episode for its ridiculous final boss battle.

The most unforgivable sin of Origins is its omission of the Riddles from the first two games. The multiplayer mode is an empty wasteland already. These games already had a lot of built-in single-player replay value ferreting out every single Riddler secret. The Enigma stuff is alright, tying it to the voice recordings is an acceptable incentive to go after them, although doing so is less involved and interesting than it was in City.

Would Engima's traps be MORE challenging in the past? I guess not. But from a "don't sell back that game I made" perspective, the Riddler's perspective-based riddles and navigation-based trophies were probably a lot more effective and preventing sellback of Asylum and City than the multiplayer mode of Origins will be.

Wow this was supposed to be a short post. Sorry guys:

tl;dr I liked it, even after going back and playing the first two again.

neoism

Just got a 3gb update. One thing I hate about steam is the inconsistent patchnotes. Any idea what changed?

They are finally fixing it. Might reinstall it now.

Patch 2 List of Fixes

This Patch is now live.

Disabled invalid collision object in Mad Hatter level, which was preventing some people from crossing the river
Fixing missing objective for Lacy Towers.
Fixed 'secure area' bug with Gotham Bridge.
Fix for Deadshot quest not completing properly.
Fixed for the player being locked behind a door by AIvsAI. Fixed user bug who was stuck in Industrial District Enigma Tower
Fixed Black Mask drug stash/chapter mixup that would lock away some drug canisters.
Added the ability to run NVidia Benchmark feature from Options Menu.
Fixed a crash at the end of Deadshot.
Issues with MyAlibi should be fixed.
Fixed Bird thugs not spawning.
Fixed a bug in Royal Hotel that would prevent players from progressing at Helicopter scene.
Fixed Fatal Error on Press Start screen.
Fixed bug making it impossible to grapple in bridge
Fixed sequencer not working properly in Gordon’s office.
Fixed elevator that couldn’t be boosted in Bridge.
Fixed issue with elevator not going back to the correct position in Sewers.
Numerous other more minor fixes.
3 gb for this lol I haven't touched it in 2 weeks plus if you play MP its erases your progress...

Kabuto

3 gb for this lol I haven't touched it in 2 weeks plus if you play MP its erases your progress...

Fixed issue with elevator not going back to the correct position in Sewers.

haha wow so this was a bug? I thought it was just an annoyance they put in the game. yeah I agree neoism, these patch notes don't look like a 3.1 gb update; maybe they're putting in dlc files too.

I started my New Game+ playthrough a couple days ago. The martial artists are really challenging; they're hard to predict without their counter icons. Slade was actually easier for me than before since the game slowed right before he was about to strike and I beat him in one try.

Thanks for the patch notes. Where's it from btw?

I don't like when Steam does not have patch notes.

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/Updates-on-Support-Latest-Updates/m-p/41975#U41975

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
haha wow so this was a bug? I thought it was just an annoyance they put in the game. yeah I agree neoism, these patch notes don't look like a 3.1 gb update; maybe they're putting in dlc files too.

Mr. Freeze origin story. Believe.

Anyone else feel like this is the most Batman-like game of the series?

Definitely my favorite behind Asylum and I don't even think I'm halfway done yet.

lyonhardt

I remember reading about how downloading the patch on PS3 ended up causing glitches or problems. Do they have a newer patch that fixes all that, or should I just not download the patch?

tim1138

The Infinite Earths costume pack and Black Mask challenge pack are up on the eShop, so I would assume they're up on PSN/Live/PC as well.

Some Nobody

Honest question: I sold this game to help pay for SM3DW, lol. I don't regret it, but do you guys think I should wait until an "Ultimate Edition" pops up, or should I just wait on Rocksteady's inevitable Batman game releasing next year?

Wag

I just finished the main storyline in the game. I think the series is played out. I have little incentive in finishing all the puzzles and I definitely won't be buying another game in the series should they be putting one out.

Imbarkus

Double-dipped on a $20 Amazon sale for this for PC. Even on my old rig, the snow effects leaving trails and footprints that I noticed was absent in PS3 is there. I went Batman crazy for a couple of weeks after playing this, replaying Asylum and City, now this again!

tim1138

WB Montreal released some info on the story mode DLC:

Batman: Arkham Origins' big story-stuffed DLC expansion will centre on one of the most pivotal relationships in the series, developer Warner Bros. Montreal has told Eurogamer.

The add-on will be similar in size to Arkham City's enjoyable epilogue Harley Quinn's Revenge, and is likely due for launch some time in the new year.

"It is in line with our angle of the origins - not necessarily of characters, but of key relationships," Ben Mattes, Batman Arkham Origins senior producer explained. "It is a DLC that will focus on one of the most key relationships in Batman canon."

Ahasverus

Man this game is so much better than City that is not even funny. Rocksteady can take one or two notes about characterization. This game's Batman is best batman, ever, period.

Man this game is so much better than City that is not even funny. Rocksteady can take one or two notes about characterization. This game's Batman is best batman, ever, period.

He's much, much better than the batman in previous Arkham games. Conroy was wasted on those scripts and it sounded as if he was given no voice direction.

JakeD

i'm getting a little frustrated by this: i can't get the rank 3 in the worst nightmare system. (complete a predator challenge without being seen)

the thing is, i'm halfway through the campaign and the only predator scenarios left have a ton of enemies. am i cursed to NOT unlocking anything in the third skill tree until i get NG+?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You go into the detail, why you think that Harleys Revenge is so terrible? My biggest problem with it, that it was such a big timespan between the main game and the DLC and I had problems with the controls

But playing as Tim Drake was pretty funny and there was some pretty details added to
the whole Joker-isnt-dead-Theory
from the ending of Arkham City.

Psykoboy2

i'm getting a little frustrated by this: i can't get the rank 3 in the worst nightmare system. (complete a predator challenge without being seen)

the thing is, i'm halfway through the campaign and the only predator scenarios left have a ton of enemies. am i cursed to NOT unlocking anything in the third skill tree until i get NG+?

I doubt they've patched it out, but you can get this one by finding some rooftops in the city that have guys with guns on them. Was a happy accident for me when it happened.

Top Bottom