• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

cripterion

Holy fuck, latest Nvidia's driver not only gave me an fps boost in AC but it totally removed the stuttering that was present in DX11 version. Makes me hopeful about playing this one smoothly come Friday.

Ephemeris

Really curious what rocksteady is up to.

kevin%20conroy%20tweet.jpg

Making up that next-gen goodness I'm sure.

BFIB

I see some nvidia codes for $35 Buy it now on Ebay. Really tempted, as there's nothing big on PC I am playing right now.

Eusis

GTAV didn't got destroyed.
Or every EA release for that matter.

Many publishers, maybe more and more of them are preferring a straight across the board embargo. And I think it was just a rumor but it was better than reports of Eidos allowing ONLY 9+ Arkham Asylum scores to break embargo, at least here there'd be no discrimination.

Eusis

Maybe the end is easy to be spoiled, so they want to protect it.
They have story detail embargoes separate from review embargoes. And many don't mind obliging so long as they make sense, it IS kind of a dick move to spoil a game afterall. I think the only times they made a big deal out of it was for MGS4 which threw so much under an embargo that they preferred waiting until release, and when SE wanted the press to stay quiet on a bunch of VP2 stuff despite being out in Japan for quite awhile.

Skilletor

Yeah it's silky smooth. I get 57FPS on average in the benchmark with physx on.
On the flip side, this deal removing with removing games for windows live means I have no saves left :/

Yeah, same, lol. I was going to go through that save save thing posted, but decided I didn't care enough. I finished it. Maybe I'll just replay it some day.

Would be great if the stuttering wasn't present in Origins, though.

d00d3n

So, _something_ from the game seems to be predownloadable right now. Downloaded four small files (18 765 KB, 98 299 KB, 41 910 KB and 25 299 KB) to my steam depotcache folder and some additional miniscule ones, so it is obviously not the full game. Preorder dlc? Buggy full game preload?

Scored a $30 code off eBay. Guy didn't even put up a pic of the voucher or anything, had 1 line description. Took a chance, and boom redeemed and ready to go.

WTF, is this confirmed?

Riddler trophies aren’t making a return in Arkham Origins, having been replaced by an increased number of side-missions

http://whatculture.com/gaming/batman-arkham-origins-10-reasons-why-it-should-get-your-blood-pumping.php/5

I loved the trophies. They gave me a reason to come back and visit every location again (I really loved that).
No, no just no.
I think I'll wait until price drop.
The playthrough video on youtube was okay (120 minutes) but everything else doesn't sound too good.

Ahasverus

WTF, is this confirmed?

http://whatculture.com/gaming/batman-arkham-origins-10-reasons-why-it-should-get-your-blood-pumping.php/5

I loved the trophies. They gave me a reason to come back and visit every location again (I really loved that).
No, no just no.
I think I'll wait until price drop.
The playthrough video on youtube was okay (120 minutes) but everything else doesn't sound too good.
That's true, they have been replaced by Riddler's... riddles.

I wouldn't mind if they cut out the trophies sitting around in plain sight and just kept the scanning riddles and puzzles from AC, but I'd hate to see them lose the Riddler stuff entirely. I love that stuff.

Ahasverus

I wouldn't mind if they cut out the trophies sitting around in plain sight and just kept the scanning riddles and puzzles from AC, but I'd hate to see them lose the Riddler stuff entirely. I love that stuff.

They didn't lose them, they are in a different shape (
Enigma's objects, riddles
)

Kiant

Omg, this person is terrible. People complain how there is too much hand holding in games...this is why. Imagine focus testing with someone like this. "How do you grapple boost?" You didnt see the text in the middle of the screen explaining how to do it??? "The combat is lame and boring." Try something other than spamming the attack button.

I laughed out loud when he knocked out the one enemy and was still just punching the air. I guess that is what makes the combat so great though, it works on so many different levels.

The best part is when he goes into a Invis Predator part and he just dives in trying to mash buttons, 0 stealth haha. Youtube is both a blessing and a curse.

makes sense why i've seen no riddler's trophies around lol.

Yay for me then! Sucks for people that cared about them alot though :(

More side quests though is good. Hope there are less of the dumb zazz one and more... idk, i love detective investigation mode. barely any interaction but it felt neat.

Omg, this person is terrible. People complain how there is too much hand holding in games...this is why. Imagine focus testing with someone like this. "How do you grapple boost?" You didnt see the text in the middle of the screen explaining how to do it??? "The combat is lame and boring." Try something other than spamming the attack button.

I laughed out loud when he knocked out the one enemy and was still just punching the air. I guess that is what makes the combat so great though, it works on so many different levels.

It is funny to watch people this terrible. You'd think after two previous games and going out of your way to illegally acquire and upload videos of the game a week early he might have at least a rudimentary understanding of the mechanics of combat. But here I am an hour into the video and he's still punching the air after every single shitting enemy he knocks down, unable to succesfully chain together more than ~5 attacks on a consistent basis.

Eusis

So, no good scores this time? ;)
Well, that was specifically about Arkham Asylum, and under Eidos rather than WB solely.

Though looking at Arkham City (PS3 anyway) I guess such a policy would've blocked a grand total of two reviews. And given the game's quality there'd be little doubt behind the legitimacy of the scores I suspect.

Eusis

Yay, another person who is getting the game day one because he's in it. (It's not the ONLY reason I'm getting it day one, but it's certainly up there.)
If Troy Baker being in a game is your main reason to buy day one then I guess you bought most of the games that came out this year day one! Doubly so if you count his soundalike Matthew Mercer.

But those two combined would probably cover most of the best games this year anyway, so that's probably not a bad policy actually.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
this looks more of the same ALA arkham city, im ok with that, that game is one of the best of the past 10 years IMO, so more content with the same mechanics is fine by me, also i think the suit looks more bad ass on this game, specially the freaking ears, i always thought they were to long in the previous games lol, im happy as well that batman VO got recast, many will hate me but KC to me always sounded so empty, i love the new batman voice and troy as the joker, no words, he's brilliant as usual on whatever he does

luxarific

Nork unification denier
If Troy Baker being in a game is your main reason to buy day one then I guess you bought most of the games that came out this year day one! Doubly so if you count his soundalike Matthew Mercer.

But those two combined would probably cover most of the best games this year anyway, so that's probably not a bad policy actually.

As I said, "it's not the ONLY reason". I do appreciate good VA work though. Bad VA work can completely ruin an otherwise good game for me, while good VA work can take an otherwise pedestrian game and make it fantastic.

Veelk

Banned
I'm taking a wait and see perspective on it.

To be honest, I've been conflicted about this game since I heard of it. Personally, I don't think it has a reason to exist. For one, I hated how all those plot threads that they foreshadowed in Arkham City had to be put on hold for the prequel to be done. Second, and I don't know why this bothers me as much as it does because the story in these games is bad anyway, but they made a special point about it just getting prototyped in AC and now he has it all the way back 5 years ago. Yes, this is a stupid gripe and no I don't know why this minor immersion break bugs me as much as it does. If nothing else, if AO fails, it might reinforce to WB that Rocksteady are the ones most capable of handling the Bat and don't outsource it again, which I consider a victory (as long as they want to do it, of course).For those reasons, I feel somewhat ambivalent to the prospect of this game failing.

On the other hand...a lot of their ideas are good. I enjoy banes redesign, I love what they did with Copperhead, I like that they're bosses take inspiration from the Freeze boss, some of the gadgets I saw. I don't think this has a big chance of being terribad. At worst, it's going to be a subpar superhero game to the very best superhero games in the business, which is how 99% of superhero games are anyway. I seriously doubt that it's going to be wholly incompetent. And despite the above paragraph, I do want the game to be good. AO should not have been made, but now that it has, I hope it's as good as it can be.

So yeah, succeed or fail, I'm pretty happy with the outcome either way.

Top Bottom