• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

I watched about an hour and a half of the batman playthrough a page or two back, the game feels more like asylum which is great, but I dislike having so many villains personally.

Also that woman's voice is already driving me insane, there is such a thing as TOO much talking.

curious what kind of card is needed to do physx at high at 60fps without doing a dedicated gpu for that stuff.

If its anything like lara croft's hair, I don't think any high end cards can have those bells and whistles without sli/crossfire to have it run smoothly. The nvidia presentation for AO had some noticeable chugs with all that stuff turned on.

imo most of that stuff is barely noticeable or worth it.

I thought he was suppose to be young and rash and more violent or something? Don't notice any different animations from AC (and i was just playing that the past 2 days). Don't tell me its just the cutscenes.

It's Christmas Eve and at some point in the playthrough a voice on a loudspeaker is telling all citizens of Gotham to stay indoors (blizzard). So, there's context, at least, for having an empty city.

That makes sense, thanks. I mean it's not a deal breaker for me. I miss the batmobile though.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
It might also be because they have the same voice actor.
That I know, but when he did the voice for Chris on Resident evil 5&6 he changed the voice quite a bit, in here he just sounds like ezio without the Italian accent, like same voice tone or however that is said, I'm so pumped for this game

sflufan

Banned
After playing the Arkham series, I have come to the conclusion that these are the four seasons in Gotham: Almost Winter, Early Winter, Mid-Winter, and Late Winter

RAIDEN1

there could have at least been some in-car- or flight action, like it used to be back on the SNES & Mega CD..

I kind of dislike the new sound effects for K.O'ing thugs, it used to sound so satisfying but now it's just like... tonk.

dat british accent is too much to handle.
Or maybe she is aussie...lol I really cant tell the diffrerence.

I'm British and my ears are still bleeding from it.

iddqd

Why is he always such a big dick in the games? I don't want Adam West.. but come on.. he could at least reply to Alfred.. you know.. like ANY human would do.

yeah, the more i see, the more i'm lowering expectations. Looks like a hefty expansion pack turn full game a la saints row 4.

Luckily for the 23 or so bucks i paid for this, i'm ok with that.

expecting 7-8ish review scores.

OrigiNull

When's the embargo for reviews lifting?

Found this earlier in the thread:

the 25th apparently, but if Warner Bros PR doesn't lift the embargo before that date, their marketing campaign will flush down the toilet: 360 copies are already being sold, which means that in the matter of 24 hours gameplay streams will blot out the sun. If you add the likely release on torrent of the game's iso and the fact that some stores will get the game on Tuesday instead of Friday, well...the verdict on the game will probably be out by tomorrow.

Effect

Still not sure about getting this. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum well enough. I never did pick up Arkham City but the Wii U version should be really cheap now. I think my main issue, and this is why I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 3 (was my first AC game) so much, was not being able to stop and walk away from the action when I wanted to and do something else. I never felt I had any real down time or a break from the action in Asylum. Sure there were no enemies around but I was never "safe" or away from the action and that provides a specific feeling. I think this is why I still haven't bought Arkham City. While you have more of a wide area to play in it's still one massive bit of enemy territory. All action all the time. I doubt Origins is going to be any different but if it is that would be great.

DC Universe Online. Metropolis is (or was in the beta) perpetual daytime while Gotham was ALWAYS night.

It was like that in the final game unfortunately.

OrigiNull

Still not sure about getting this. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum well enough. I never did pick up Arkham City but the Wii U version should be really cheap now. I think my main issue, and this is why I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 3 (was my first AC game) so much was the ability to stop and walk away from the action when I wanted to. I never felt I had any real down time or a break from the action in Asylum. Sure there were no enemies around but I was never "safe" or away from the action and provides a specific feeling. I think this is why I still haven't bought Arkham City. While you have more of a wide area to play in it's still one massive bit of enemy territory. All action all the time. I doubt Origins is going to be any different but if it is that would be great..

Well the reason that works in Assasin's Creed is because you are meant to blend in. Your goal is to be invisiable amoung a crowd which lets you move freely throughout the city without aggro. So unless Origin's is a city full of Batmen or you spend time dressed as a thug you probably won't get a similar experience.

Something like Watch Dogs might be more suited to your playstyle though or even other open world games like GTA or Sleeping Dogs.

Is there any other cities in the world besides metropolis and gotham?

Question, I know origins is batman's... 2nd year on the job? How about arkham asylum/origins? In those games it seems like he's already has faced off against most baddies at least once. Don't think batman was surprised about any adversary.

Effect

Well the reason that works in Assasin's Creed is because you are meant to blend in. Your goal is to be invisiable amoung a crowd which lets you move freely throughout the city without aggro. So unless Origin's is a city full of Batmen or you spend time dressed as a thug you probably won't get a similar experience.

Something like Watch Dogs might be more suited to your playstyle though or even other open world games like GTA or Sleeping Dogs.

Possibly. I've been meaning to check out Sleeping Dogs and eventually get GTA 5.

Kiant

Question, I know origins is batman's... 2nd year on the job? How about arkham asylum/origins? In those games it seems like he's already has faced off against most baddies at least once. Don't think batman was surprised about any adversary.

You got Bludhaven which is near Gotham, then Star City, quite a few others.

Think it was mentioned Origins takes place about 5 years before Asylum or something. Leaving room for prequels / sequels.

Psykoboy2

Still not sure about getting this. I enjoyed Arkham Asylum well enough. I never did pick up Arkham City but the Wii U version should be really cheap now. I think my main issue, and this is why I enjoyed Assassin's Creed 3 (was my first AC game) so much, was not being able to stop and walk away from the action when I wanted to and do something else. I never felt I had any real down time or a break from the action in Asylum. Sure there were no enemies around but I was never "safe" or away from the action and that provides a specific feeling. I think this is why I still haven't bought Arkham City. While you have more of a wide area to play in it's still one massive bit of enemy territory. All action all the time. I doubt Origins is going to be any different but if it is that would be great.

I *think* I know what you mean, but I had plenty of downtime in Arkham City...mainly looking for Riddler trophies or solving them by scanning environments. Floating around the city and taking out cameras, riding on the helicopter - plenty of things that gave me breaks in the action - although, upon reflection, not much to do during those breaks other than look at the city.

Any videos of the martial artists enemy types?

The worst parts of the first 2 games imo are riddler trophies you can't get right away. every trophy should be obtainable when you can access the room. Make it a challenge or something, but just having it blocked due to not having a certain item is just lame.

Arkhamverse is pretty crazy in terms of continuity. Some things still have to happen in a gap of 5 years.

Dick Grayson has to come in, finish his tour as robin, and become nightwing.
Barbara has to become batgirl and then be paralyzed.
Unsure if Jason Todd is in arkhamverse or not, but he would need to be killed.
Tim Drake would be red robin, but his tenure would have to be short. Which is odd because he looked older in AC.

Also bane has to break batman's back. I guess all of this could happen in 5 years, but I think it was much longer than that in the comics.

Ephemeris

Arkhamverse is pretty crazy in terms of continuity. Some things still have to happen in a gap of 5 years.

Dick Grayson has to come in, finish his tour as robin, and become nightwing.
Barbara has to become batgirl and then be paralyzed.
Unsure if Jason Todd is in arkhamverse or not, but he would need to be killed.
Tim Drake would be red robin, but his tenure would have to be short. Which is odd because he looked older in AC.

Also bane has to break batman's back. I guess all of this could happen in 5 years, but I think it was much longer than that in the comics.

If you think that's crazy, try working out the bat-history in the New 52

edit:

New-52-Batman-timeline-copy.jpg

not official and a couple tiny details are off, but overall it's solid.

OrigiNull

The worst parts of the first 2 games imo are riddler trophies you can't get right away. every trophy should be obtainable when you can access the room. Make it a challenge or something, but just having it blocked due to not having a certain item is just lame.

This was super frustraiting for me as well. It got to the point where I just left them all and figured I would come back in the endgame. I acutally did it for AA but by the time I finished AC if just said fuck it....

Effect

I *think* I know what you mean, but I had plenty of downtime in Arkham City...mainly looking for Riddler trophies or solving them by scanning environments. Floating around the city and taking out cameras, riding on the helicopter - plenty of things that gave me breaks in the action - although, upon reflection, not much to do during those breaks other than look at the city.

Not being able to do much besides fighting is what I'm getting at in the end. I guess when I see open world I expect to be able to do other things outside of just fighting and taking in the sights. Having the games stories limited to just one night does make adding more side things to do harder.

iddqd

I wonder if they could not do some more "interesting" things because of the next gen Batman currently in the works.
- Why not have Bruce do some stuff during the daytime?
- Switch perspective a bit (to Robin/Nightwing) like they did in AC
- Do flashbacks that take place in a different setting.

Batman has such a rich history, but if you play the games, you would think it's full of jail cells, winter and talking to himself.

Ephemeris

I wonder if they could not do some more "interesting" things because of the next gen Batman currently in the works.
- Why not have Bruce do some stuff during the daytime?
- Switch perspective a bit (to Robin/Nightwing) like they did in AC
- Do flashbacks that take place in a different setting.

Batman has such a rich history, but if you play the games, you would think it's full of jail cells, winter and talking to himself.

That's why the next-gen Arkham that Conroy is working on should be amazing.

netguy503

If there is a walkthrough that isnt down could someone PM it to me please? I want to see how it plays before buying and I dont care about spoilers as my expectations on this game are low. Thank you.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Bludhaven - Nightwing
Central City - The Flash
Star City - Green Arrow
Midway City - Hawkman
Fawcett City - Shazam (formerly Captain Marvel)

and so on...

There's also Batwing fighting out in Africa, Wonder Woman going all over the place including her home Themyscira...

Rumor has it
Nintendo
asked WB to cover it up.

That the reason why Batman and Catwoman ended up with horrible suits.

yet they're okay with publishing Bayonetta 2? I don't buy it

Raxious

Decided to stop playing AC. I like the game, but I'd rather spend time playing AO and enjoying it then thinking half the time "mmm, I was here 4 days ago."

So... why doesn't batman take a day off? Just stay home and watch it's a wonderful life.

seems like a tactically poor move to be wondering around on christmas where everyone else is out for your ass.

How many of you guys will get Arkham Blackgate as well?

If I owned a 3ds/vita I'd pick it up. If aramature has any of the talent retro had in making MP, then they should be able to make a solid game. The vita version looks so much better, its a hard bullet to swallow if I end up getting a 3ds during black friday.

edit: That new 52 timeline looks pretty crammed. I always thought bruce was a bit older in new 52, early 40's or so. The way they make it look is that he's still early 30's. I guess they have to keep the image of a young guy in there to make him fit in the JLA. I've picked up and read through batman inc, have to read dark knight, detective comics, b&r, and batman yet. Is detective comics like action comics where it shows his first few years?

Top Bottom