• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

FHIZ

Aaaaaaand my save was corrupted AGAIN.

This game is literally the most broken piece of shit I've played this generation... and I played through a majority of "Ride to Hell" which froze less than this, and never corrupted my save.

Just on those two points (as I agree with alot of what you said with just a head nod ha)

- While I did get a sense the story was a little short, now I'm not so sure. I think it's just there are few story *points* but they tend to be quite long and indepth. Also, out of interest, do you feel that way having done a fair amount of the side stuff during your *down time* between story points, or did you just kind of push on with the story to keep your head into it?

Yeah I agree. I must admit I only played the story missions primarily (on hard, and it took me a good few play sessions) and tackling the side stuff now. Maybe short was the wrong word, but I guess I felt the end didn't really deliver on the promise the game was building. I think it could have been stronger as to not feel so abrupt in the narrative.
- I would also really take a bat game from both regularly, or I'd be happy to see WB Montreal spread their chops out to other DC properties
they even tease SS, and Green Arrow throughout the game
. I also think if we get a batman game every year, people will lose their shit regardless of quality, and I get the feeling batman fans could turn on the series quicker than say assassin's creed where we're getting a fairly story orientated series every year.

Yeah I agree with all you said too :) Over-saturation would definitely do more harm than good, and fleshing out the he DC universe would be a welcome change considering how under-valued the other characters feel in the medium. If I could be cheeky, I'd ask that Montreal stay on, give me an Arkham Origins sequel set on a long Halloween and Rocksteady light a trail for another character.

Also, I didn't pick up on any of those references, nice one.

If I could add one more criticism, its that Gotham never really felt like Gotham. I know they alluded to curfews and snow blizzards but it just felt like a cop-out to me. If its Xmas eve, make it Xmas eve. Have the mayor address the city, have cars stuck in traffic trying to get home, carol singers on the streets and drunken bums ambling from the pubs. The whole game felt oppressive because I already believed this was Arkham City, not a city worth fighting for.

Lima

Did it give you the Worst Nightmare skin?

You get that for getting 100% in the game, which means doing all story and side mission stuff plus riddler collectibles on both saves. IATN is a separate mode not needed for 100%. You only get an achievement for beating it.

Lima

So the game is more difficult than Arkham City? So I shouldn't put it on hard mode?

Did you play AA and AC on hard? If the answer is yes, then also play AO on hard. It is kinda challenging in the beginning when you are getting used to the combat tweaks but gets easier as you progress.

let's have kids too.. not killable. And they cheer when they see us. And we can take pictures.

And upload to Facebook.

Yes and after that we buy the kids presents with our Bat-Credit card. lol

Finished the game last night. If it wasn´t for all the bugs in the game i´d say it´s probably the best game yet. At least best story. Still like the side missions in Arkham City better.

The next game shouldn't be open world. Arkham Asylum is still the best of the three games because of it's relative linearity. You had room to explore and look around but in a more focused and confined area. Open world games are always buggy and poorly paced. Every time. Asylum had incredible pacing and that's what made it good.
I cosign this, but it'll never happen simply because too many would automatically see it as a step backwards.

erawsd

The next game shouldn't be open world. Arkham Asylum is still the best of the three games because of it's relative linearity. You had room to explore and look around but in a more focused and confined area. Open world games are always buggy and poorly paced. Every time. Asylum had incredible pacing and that's what made it good.

Just before AC came out I decided to replay City, but I wanted to get it done ASAP so I skipped all the side content. Just following the story missions you can blaze through AC and it has a very nice flow. The point is, if you really want linearity or a faster paced narrative the open world isn't stopping you from getting it.

Either I'm insanely lucky but I never had any glitches on the PS3 version. Even the Burnely Tower vent thing which I was prepared for worked fine. The only thing that was troublesome was the horrible draw distance and a random guard that wouldn't stop dancing.

I don't think open world is the problem. I think the problem is the developers never really use the city for anything more than travelling between interiors and man hole covers. Having a fight take place on the
Bridge
was a step in the right direction, but they really need to do better.

Lima

I don't think open world is the problem. I think the problem is the developers never really use the city for anything more than travelling between interiors and man hole covers. Having a fight take place on the
Bridge

That is the thing. The idea of an open world Gotham City is crazy good. You just need to fill it with worthwhile content and other ways to travel (batwing etc.)

The open world in AC and AO is useless and that is why AA is still the best game in the series.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Either I'm insanely lucky but I never had any glitches on the PS3 version. Even the Burnely Tower vent thing which I was prepared for worked fine. The only thing that was troublesome was the horrible draw distance and a random guard that wouldn't stop dancing.

Bridge

Yeah, I agree with this. You generally are just getting to a place, then the actual core of the game happens once you walk through a door. Sometimes there's a predator encounter before you get inside, but they typically pale to the sections they craft indoors.

It also bugs me how they feel the need to ramp up difficulty near the end just for traveling. Does anyone enjoy the snipers that are all over the rooftops by endgame? They're so damn annoying and not hard to deal with, but it's just time consuming and ultimately pointless.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
So when I played this I mostly chewed through the story and didn't pay too much attention to the objectives in "Dark Knight" "Worst Nightmare", etc.

I notice I have almost none of them and that's because you have to do them in sequence. Was that true in the previous games?

Derrick01

Banned
Even with today's patch the ending is not fixed:

I can now see the basement but Bane isn't there

Yup same. At least I can still do the challenge rooms but I have to do them from the main menu since we're at a part where we can't get to the batcave. I'm not sure if you get xp from doing them at the main menu.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Even with today's patch the ending is not fixed:

I can now see the basement but Bane isn't there

There's a stupid workaround if you want to try it:
The game fucks up and skips a segment where you need to use the shock gloves to shock Bane back to life, but if you mash the button through the cutscene it will progress to the actual proper fight with no black screen.

The open world in AC and AO is useless and that is why AA is still the best game in the series.
I'll give you that. AA definitely nails the mood, atmosphere, and environment. I especially love how in AA The Joker is constantly chattering about your progress or ousting you during the predator rooms. Makes the game feel more alive.

justjim89

Holy shit! I figured out the cutscene problem! I was digging through the Steam forums for this game, and apparently if you go into the BMEngine.ini, and set AllowD3D11 to False, the cutscenes work like a charm! It disables DX11, but I wasn't using it anyway.

Fuck this game just got so much better for me because of that. I just passed the part where
You play as Joker/Red Hood and he talks with Harley for the first time.
Amazing scene all around. Writing, performance, animation. So much more excited to keep playing this now.

Rnr1224

So I collected all of the collectibles but for some reason the profile in the right hand corner is still unknown. Anyone know how I can get it?

Derrick01

Banned
There's a stupid workaround if you want to try it:
The game fucks up and skips a segment where you need to use the shock gloves to shock Bane back to life, but if you mash the button through the cutscene it will progress to the actual proper fight with no black screen.

The new patch today fixed the part of the fight that was being skipped yesterday, so we can't even get to that part you mentioned now.

Not read much of this thread. Just wanted to say that I love the fighting in this. Seems a bit quicker, it throws more guys at you and the training wheels come off really early.

Very good.

I also feel that the cinematics are much improved. Although... because it hits you with a premise of all those assassins trying to kill you, the story doesn't have a good pace. You kind of know the whole premise at the start, so it doesn't get to take you down one path then surprise you. It basically gives you the world, tells you what is happening and then makes you have to go through all the checkpoints to get to the end.

The other games had a sense of wonder about them; you didn't really know how the story would progress.

All in all though I love the more aggressive Batman and feel that reviewers didn't give this the marks it deserved. I think they did a damn fine job and it should have got very similar scores to AC.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just finished the game. I'm not really sure what to think, really. The story was okay, but the "8 assassins out to get Batman" turned out to be a joke and sounded 10 times better on paper than how it turned out in the game. I really enjoyed the Deathstroke bossfight, and I can appreciate what they did with Firefly, but the rest is just mediocre at best. It didn't help that the final
Bane
encounter was bugged to hell and back, where he would constantly get stuck on geometry.

My biggest disappointment is the gameplay though. Towards the end it becomes more and more aparant how they designed a specific "Arkham gameplay design document" and just copy-pasted that endlessly.

- enter building
- walk through some doors/climb up some shafts
- room with thugs you have to fight
- predator room
- room with thugs you have to fight
- walk through some doors/climb up some shafts
- exit building

Especially the segment right before the
Firefly
fight is extremely tedious in this regard. Returning to
Blackgate
was like they used a checklist of "things that need to be in an Arkham game". It was predictable from beginning to end.
In fact, a lot of segments are lifted straight out of Arkham City, especially nearly everything involving the glue grenade. Which, while we're at it, is the dumbest fucking gadget ever.

The game does have great moments though. The entire
Gotham Royal
was aces and deserved to be the finale of this game, it was 10 times better than anything else in the game.
Another thing Origins does way better is the character design. Batman looks awesome in his suit and much more intimidating than spandex Arkham City Batman. I also LOVED the voice acting, Batman is constantly angry and not taking shit from anyone and it was awesome. Baker nailed Joker too, most of the time. Very well done, proper naughty.

The lack of new gameplay, the decent setpieces and the horrendous bugs make me feel this is the least impressive game of the three so far.

Also - Batman's cape looks ridiculous in the endgame. It's not even cool, it just looks stupid as hell.

Also also - I'm completely clueless at to what the significance of that after-credit scene was.

bill0527

Are you guys seriously enjoying this game?

I'm about 10% into it and not feeling it at all and I LOVE Asylum and City.

The combat feels off...find myself whiffing at air occasionally. It doesn't feel as tight. Not feeling the story either. Game doesn't seem to run that great. I've had some serious frame rate hiccups.

I don't know...I'm thinking this game is dangerously close to trade bait, but damn I was looking forward to it for a very long time.

The combat feels off...find myself whiffing at air occasionally. It doesn't feel as tight. Not feeling the story either. Game doesn't seem to run that great. I've had some serious frame rate hiccups.

I don't know...I'm thinking this game is dangerously close to trade bait, but damn I was looking forward to it for a very long time.

If you are only 10% in, you will definitely not feeling any story... yet.

Dammit!

I'm post story and have run into my first real glitch (other than freezing).

I'm in the Gotham Royal, and only have 4 datapacks left to get in the entire game. I'm at the
Carnival part, and the electricity and timer have come on where the thugs are being electrocuted, but the buttons and grapple points no longer show up, so there's absolutely no way I can proceed.

I hope this bit will get patched too :(

Derrick01

Banned
So I started the game up again just to try my luck and now that part I was stuck in has reverted back to the same problems it had last night. Skipped cutscenes, black screens...the whole thing. Completely fucked :lol

pa22word

Ugh, goddammit. I've been really into this game thus far and all these reports about the ending being shot to shit with the new patch, resulting in a non-completable game, has really killed every ounce of want in me to continue playing it. I mean shit guys, even if I *wanted to* I'm too afraid the damned game is going to lock me into a position where I *can't* finish it.

Fuck this shit guys, I'm out until they fix this shit.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of where the game keeps my saves? That way even if they patch it again and fuck up more shit at least I'll have a functional save stashed away for a day for when they finally get this game in an acceptable state.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It really seems like the PC port is a big problem. I haven't had any of these problems on PS3.

Tendo

If I buy the game today is there anyway to get the Deathstroke DLC? Or am I screwed until it is released stand alone?

Ugh, goddammit. I've been really into this game thus far and all these reports about the ending being shot to shit with the new patch, resulting in a non-completable game, has really killed every ounce of want in me to continue playing it. I mean shit guys, even if I *wanted to* I'm too afraid the damned game is going to lock me into a position where I *can't* finish it.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of where the game keeps my saves? That way even if they patch it again and fuck up more shit at least I'll have a functional save stashed away for a day for when they finally get this game in an acceptable state.

it's in the Steam userdata folder. 20900 for me. Check the date of the folder to be sure.

Steam?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\"YOUR PROFILE NUMBER"\209000

I copied everything in the 209000 directory and was able to restore no problem when I put it all back in last night.

Trigger

Could just be franchise fatigue you're feeling. Origins doesn't mix things up dramatically. Felt like I was playing an AC expansion at times honestly.

pa22word

Steam?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\"YOUR PROFILE NUMBER"\209000

I copied everything in the 209000 directory and was able to restore no problem when I put it all back in last night.

it's in the Steam userdata folder. 20900 for me. Check the date of the folder to be sure.

Thanks guys, found it.One more thing though, can anyone tell me how close I am to the end?
I just got back to Blackgate after Bane blew up the batcave.

Now that I have a backup if I'm close enough I might just trudge on to the end just In case it works out for me.

Thanks guys, found it.One more thing though, can anyone tell me how close I am to the end?
I just got back to Blackgate after Bane blew up the batcave.

Now that I have a backup if I'm close enough I might just trudge on to the end just In case it works out for me.

you're close. You came real close to hitting that borked section too.

Finishe it and despite not going to the skyscraper section of Gotham I really enjoyed the game the ending felt kind of empty but it was a great game. I think it's my favourite Arkham game yet.

Imbarkus

Anybody pick up Blackgate yet? I'm thinking of picking it up.

One thing I LOVE about the game is the sound of the critical strikes hitting its just so powerful.

I dunno maybe its just me.

If you haven't played Arkham Asylum/City, play those. It's even better there because of the ridiculous sound of thunder that accompanies knockouts.

AO almost makes up for its lack of thunder with the shock gauntlets. Doing an aerial attack as a finisher while they're activated is deliciously brutal

Imbarkus

It's awful, it's basically a really stripped down version of the 3 console/pc games with a really weak metroidvania design to it.

Oh man you're harshing my Batman buzz. Seriously? Reviews for it are kind of sparse out in the world but it looked to be pulling similar scores to AO...

RaginRoss

Great.

Finished the
Deadshot
section by taking him down before he does the hostage section, which glitches and means the mission can't be completed. Luckily I had a cloud saved version of a save that was about an hour behind that one...

So I load that up, do everything over, complete
Deadshot
glitch free and then Exit the game and quit back to the Dashboard...

Corrupt save. Now i'm stuck with the original.

Lima

Great.

Finished the
Deadshot
section by taking him down before he does the hostage section, which glitches and means the mission can't be completed. Luckily I had a cloud saved version of a save that was about an hour behind that one...

So I load that up, do everything over, complete
Deadshot
glitch free and then Exit the game and quit back to the Dashboard...

Corrupt save. Now i'm stuck with the original.

Do you have a USB stick? I could fix that corrupted save for you.

tim1138

Just finished it on Wii U and had zero glitches, lock ups, or corrupted saves. I absolutely loved the game, I'd put it behind Asylum and before City ranking wise. The story worked much better than City for me, and I really enjoyed the boss fights. I do agree with an above poster though, the hotel should have been the final level. It was the best level in the game and possibly the best in the series. I'll probably take a break from it for a bit before diving into NG+.

Was that
CCH Pounder who voiced Waller
in the post credits scene?

Derrick01

Banned
Oh man you're harshing my Batman buzz. Seriously? Reviews for it are kind of sparse out in the world but it looked to be pulling similar scores to AO...

I finished it at 90% in 5 1/2 hours but it's like I said, it's a game that wanted to be the 2D castlevanias on DS/GBA and the console Arkham games at the same time and failed at both. The combat isn't even up to AA's level, it's way too cut down and simplistic. There are no real puzzles unless you count a terribly designed map that doesn't account for multiple levels on a floor leaving you confused for up to 30 minutes as to where to go as a puzzle (I don't). The boss fights are a joke and are worse than any in the 3 console games. It really makes the excessive detective vision problem worse too because many clues and secrets you have to move your finger over the screen in each room to manually scan them, they won't even show up in normal detective vision.

It's truly terrible.

Top Bottom