• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Just finished the game. I'm not really sure what to think, really. The story was okay, but the "8 assassins out to get Batman" turned out to be a joke and sounded 10 times better on paper than how it turned out in the game. I really enjoyed the Deathstroke bossfight, and I can appreciate what they did with Firefly, but the rest is just mediocre at best. It didn't help that the final
Bane
encounter was bugged to hell and back, where he would constantly get stuck on geometry.

My biggest disappointment is the gameplay though. Towards the end it becomes more and more aparant how they designed a specific "Arkham gameplay design document" and just copy-pasted that endlessly.

- enter building
- walk through some doors/climb up some shafts
- room with thugs you have to fight
- predator room
- room with thugs you have to fight
- walk through some doors/climb up some shafts
- exit building

Especially the segment right before the
Firefly
fight is extremely tedious in this regard. Returning to
Blackgate
was like they used a checklist of "things that need to be in an Arkham game". It was predictable from beginning to end.
In fact, a lot of segments are lifted straight out of Arkham City, especially nearly everything involving the glue grenade. Which, while we're at it, is the dumbest fucking gadget ever.

The game does have great moments though. The entire
Gotham Royal
was aces and deserved to be the finale of this game, it was 10 times better than anything else in the game.
Another thing Origins does way better is the character design. Batman looks awesome in his suit and much more intimidating than spandex Arkham City Batman. I also LOVED the voice acting, Batman is constantly angry and not taking shit from anyone and it was awesome. Baker nailed Joker too, most of the time. Very well done, proper naughty.

The lack of new gameplay, the decent setpieces and the horrendous bugs make me feel this is the least impressive game of the three so far.

Also - Batman's cape looks ridiculous in the endgame. It's not even cool, it just looks stupid as hell.

Also also - I'm completely clueless at to what the significance of that after-credit scene was.

Totally agree. The only parts that shone were the Firefly bits and the crime scene reconstruction. Other than that - yeah, "cut and paste". I don't even want to give them much credit for the story because many bits were lifted from NolanBats (
home being destroyed by Villain, "I can't do it, Alfred" "No you must", Joker trying to push Batman into killing, Gordon doing the end narration.

Biggest disappointment has to be the 8 assassins angle. I expected much more from that, but they were practically non-existent, making way for -ahem- yet again.

SRTtoZ

Finally beat it, 15 hours says Steam. I did basically everything except for the Riddler things (although I did pick up whatever I came across, so maybe 25%?). Great game overall, best story of the series so far, best Batman character, not the best Joker but Troy did good. How this got such average scores is mind boggling. They said it was very much the same as AC but how come new CoD's score so high when they are the same shit over and over? Anyways, cant wait for the next game.

fernoca

About the Wii U version and probably mentioned already but...
Really cool that the Deathstroke DLC code qualifies for the Deluxe Digital Program; so you get 59 points for it.

I only needed 46 points for my next $5 code, and thanks to this code made it. XD

I'm not trying to marginalize anyone's problems, but my experience in single player has been 99% bug free. The comm tower is the only big bug I ran into and now its apparently fixed. I played some challenge maps today and I didn't freeze so perhaps today's update addressed that.

PC/HD7950/i5

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fuck this fucking New Game+. The already increased aggressiveness of enemies + more martial artists - counter prompts = maximum frustration. Fuck it.

Here are the real problems:
1)Guards are not attracted to the sonic batarang in the open world on rooftops, etc.
2)Predator rooms do not respawn making "Worst Knightmare" Missions impossible post game and u'd have to do them in New Game Plus. Doesn't work in Challenge Maps.
3)Crime in progress does not happen on the bridge post game.
4)Frame rate
5)Inconsistent attack speeds from enemy AI during combat
6)Deathstroke DLC not given to those who preordered from PSN.
7)This is 2013. Why would you make the PS3 control scheme the same as the 360s for the aiming and gadgets. Switch L1 and L2 functionality (though now I've gotten used to it).
8)Add prompts to New Game Plus and I am the knight mode only for Boss Fights.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are you The Dark Knight or what?!!

Clearly not. I've just given up at that Penguin arena fight. I can't handle being surrounded by aggressive, challenging enemies and having to pay super close attention to martial artists' animations to know when to counter. Not worth the frustration, I'll move on to finishing Puppeteer or trying Hotline Miami.

Roo

You had one job... Batmam!

jKbBnntrf7I55.jpg

so funny.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fuck this fucking New Game+. The already increased aggressiveness of enemies + more martial artists - counter prompts = maximum frustration. Fuck it.

Then there's "I am the night mode" which is supposed to be ULTRA hardcore.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Can you play it on easy? If not, then I dare say that the "I am the Night" mode just might be one of the hardest achievements/trophies to unlock. On easy? Doable.

The only problem with making it *more* open world is that traditionally that means day and night cycle, cars, civilians, Batman typically doesn't deal with that stuff a lot as a property. The best thing I can think is doing an LA Noire esque day time as Jim Gordon, driving around, questioning, interrogations, doing more traditional police work etc, then as nightfalls, you meet Bats at the signal, pass over the info you could get, and switch perspective and then do it Batman's way, and so on.

Would anyone be interested in that kind of thing, or would it ruin the pure batman fantasy these games manage to capture?

I would actually think this would be pretty fun. I'm not sure about the overall majority of people who play the Arkham games, but I really like Gordon so I definitely wouldn't mind doing police work as him by day, and being Batman by night. Rocksteady could also do something like having the player play as Bruce Wayne during the day, doing some detective work and whatnot, while having Wayne don the Batman persona during the night as well.

I also think adding civilians to the game may make the city feel more "alive" but in the context of when Batman operates, it is going to clash with how late during the night it is. Although, there could also be an interesting twist to the formula with a story involving Batman needing to operate during all hours of the day because of serious reasons.

The only problem with making it *more* open world is that traditionally that means day and night cycle, cars, civilians, Batman typically doesn't deal with that stuff a lot as a property. The best thing I can think is doing an LA Noire esque day time as Jim Gordon, driving around, questioning, interrogations, doing more traditional police work etc, then as nightfalls, you meet Bats at the signal, pass over the info you could get, and switch perspective and then do it Batman's way, and so on.

Would anyone be interested in that kind of thing, or would it ruin the pure batman fantasy these games manage to capture?

I don't disagree with your suggestions though, I just mean thinking about it further.

Yeah, that'd be really cool. Play as Gordon/Bruce during daytime. They'd just have to find a way to make those just as fun as Batman though or else it'd become an annoyance rather than an improvement. They can also take a lot of the crime scene investigation stuff out of the Batman/night time sections and have gordon and bruce do it in the day time and make it more of a puzzle so that way you have to try harder and really think about it rather than it being fed to you. It'd be pretty cool to get to be Bruce and hang out in the batcave trying to put a case together

fernoca

doniewhalberg said:
That's...quite cool actually.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't even fathom that mode since it's basically New Game+ with no deaths.

I will honestly give it a shot, on normal after I finish new game+. It'd probably be a lot easier if they gave you everything from the start.

erawsd

Can you play it on easy? If not, then I dare say that the "I am the Night" mode just might be one of the hardest achievements/trophies to unlock. On easy? Doable.

I would actually think this would be pretty fun. I'm not sure about the overall majority of people who play the Arkham games, but I really like Gordon so I definitely wouldn't mind doing police work as him by day, and being Batman by night. Rocksteady could also do something like having the player play as Bruce Wayne during the day, doing some detective work and whatnot, while having Wayne don the Batman persona during the night as well.

I also think adding civilians to the game may make the city feel more "alive" but in the context of when Batman operates, it is going to clash with how late during the night it is. Although, there could also be an interesting twist to the formula with a story involving Batman needing to operate during all hours of the day because of serious reasons.

Eh, personally, I don't think that would work. That stuff could be interesting as some optional side content but certainly not anything significant. That type of "gear switching" has never worked well, and always feels very jarring.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Eh, personally, I don't think that would work. That stuff could be interesting as some optional side content but certainly not anything significant. That type of "gear switching" has never worked well, and always feels very jarring.

It worked with catwoman. That said they'd need to seriously compensate for the lack of combat with more intricate mysteries and or stealth sections.

erawsd

It worked with catwoman. That said they'd need to seriously compensate for the lack of combat with more intricate mysteries and or stealth sections.

Catwoman was Batman with Tits though. Playing as Gordon "doing police work" or Bruce doing detective work (not sure why he wouldn't just do it as batman) would be a complete departure. I imagine there is a reason the Predator stuff isn't too strict/punishing and the investigative stuff is fairly straight forward.

justjim89

Just beat it. As has been said, best story of the three games. And maybe it's just because I'm a huge Hank Williams fan, but Joker singing "Cold Cold Heart" during the credits was amazing.

Also, maybe it's just because I missed something, but this strikes me as a dumb plot contrivance.
Bane destroys the Batcave, leaves Alfred for dead, bates Batman to come back home. Batman comes home, fixes computer, saves Alfred and... just leaves Alfred alone again? How did he know Bane wasn't going to come right back in and kill Alfred? It just seems nonsensical to me.

While we're at it, I'm confused about something in regards to the assassins.
I don't think I even saw many of them. I know I didn't see Deadshot or the Asian girl. Do you have to go out of your way to find certain assassins? I felt underwhelmed that I never saw the whole group.

Nokterian

Man, the whole scene from
with Bane and the Joker all way to Blackgate Prison was magnificent when your in the joker's mind how crazy he really is how obsessed he is with Batman is unbelievable and Troy Baker is a good joker my god so good.

Got my electric gloves with PhysX on high the smoke effects on it are godly beautiful.

RaginRoss

Do you have a USB stick? I could fix that corrupted save for you.

Thanks for the offer - unfortunately it wasn't letting me move the corrupted save from the cloud to any other storage, so I deleted it. In future i'll copy my saves to USB instead if it's possible to recover them - thanks

Hey, fair enough, just thinking what would be enjoyable for me. I love Jim Gordon. The focus on him in year one, the black mirror, and Gotham Central as a series makes me interested enough in the cops of the bat books that I would personally be happy with something, but understandably not everyone would be.

I think Gordon works more than Bruce, just because he more naturally has access to some very different avenues of enquiry to Bruce, but you could do Bruce donning his matches malone persona and so on. Just thoughts, I appreciate there are a million things that would/could fuck up and also just take away what people like about the games.

While we're at it, I'm confused about something in regards to the assassins.
I don't think I even saw many of them. I know I didn't see Deadshot or the Asian girl. Do you have to go out of your way to find certain assassins? I felt underwhelmed that I never saw the whole group.

That's a yes. Some are not part of the main narrative, and one of those (at least for me) didn't even appear as a side marker until I found *something* in the open world.

Also, maybe it's just because I missed something, but this strikes me as a dumb plot contrivance.
Bane destroys the Batcave, leaves Alfred for dead, bates Batman to come back home. Batman comes home, fixes computer, saves Alfred and... just leaves Alfred alone again? How did he know Bane wasn't going to come right back in and kill Alfred? It just seems nonsensical to me.

The fight should've taken place in there. That's what I was expecting. I still thought it was cool they took that route because up until I realized
the fight wouldn't take place in the Batcave,
I was pretty hyped. For a second, I though that
Alfred actually did die in this continuity and he was just some AI Jarvis-type butler in AC.

I can't remember what's said specifically in the game, but it kind of fits that
Bane would kill Alfred and wreck the Batcave just to entice Batman into wanting to kill him. It would make their fight more satisfying, I guess.

It says much about the quality of boss encounters in a game when an extended QTE is considered to be the best boss fight.

Though while I partially agree, these are the best the boss encounters have been in the series overall. AA's bosses were mechanically dismal, thematically anticlimactic or both. AC had the awesome Freeze fight, but the other two notable bosses were just okay (and the Freeze encounter seemed extremely contrived). AO has the encounters pretty well spaced out and there's a decent challenge to be found in most. They fit well within the story this time.

Lima

When it is really not. It it the same difficulty as NG+ and no counter prompts but you will have already played through the game at least 2 times before tackling this mode so you know the game in and out.

I completed that mode yesterday in a single 4 hour session without dying once and resorting back to my USB backup (which I made before the fights with Bane since that is really the only place to die in this game once you have mastered it).

Happy that the Mad Hatter glitch was sorted out, i started a second game last night... i woke up this morning and saw it was corrupted... doh

I understand everyone is suffering various small bugs and glitches but the actual full on save corruptions, is that happening on all platforms? Or is it one SKU? Absolutely fuck that.

When it is really not. It it the same difficulty as NG+ and no counter prompts but you will have already played through the game at least 2 times before tackling this mode so you know the game in and out.

I completed that mode yesterday in a single 4 hour session without dying once and resorting back to my USB backup (which I made before the fights with Bane since that is really the only place to die in this game once you have mastered it).

We were talking about this the other day; did you get the worst nightmare skin for finishing I Am The Night/have you now 100% everything singleplayer wise if not?

Lima

We were talking about this the other day; did you get the worst nightmare skin for finishing I Am The Night/have you now 100% everything singleplayer wise if not?

And I already answered that ;)

The worst nightmare skin is for getting 100% completion. That means doing all story and side missions on both saves and getting all the medals in challenge mode (just like AC). IATN mode is not needed for 100% and you don't get anything other than an achievement for it.

And I already answered that ;)

The worst nightmare skin is for getting 100% completion. That means doing all story and side missions on both saves and getting all the medals in challenge mode (just like AC). IATN mode is not needed for 100% and you don't get anything other than an achievement for it.

Have you achieved that though?

And wow, you really did just get asked about IATN on the last page, sorry haha.

Lima

Have you achieved that though?

And wow, you really did just get asked about IATN on the last page, sorry haha.

Yes I have the skin unlocked. Used it last night in multiplayer. All I need are the last three mp achievements and this game is done until DLC comes along. Can finally start playing some Assassin's Creed then.

Bane thought Alfred was dead. He said something as much to Batman when he's fighting him in Blackgate.

pa22word

Anyone else having trouble clearing 100 to 1 with Batman? I've completed the mode 3 times already but upon clearing the room 1-3 guys fail to spawn at some point so I'm just left walking around with 97/98/99 on the counter with no one left to fight =\

Just replayed AC challenge maps just to compare the combat..

AC combat feels so much more fluid o_o

It's not. It's exactly the same in terms of "fluidity", it's just a lot easier so it seems that way.

Lima

Just started AA again. This time GOTY on PC whcih I got from gamersgate. Thank god it still has GFWL.

This fucking game, love the atmosphere at the Asylum but holy shit at how easy it is. You have so much time to think about your moves and to counter, after AO everything in AA and AC is easy mode.

Sweet! Just completed all the dark knight challenges. I checked out the outfit you get....is it a glitch or something. It looks new and shiny in the bat suit display, but when i equip it the upper half has scratches all over it. It looks right when I wear it in challenge mode.

Lima

Sweet! Just completed all the dark knight challenges. I checked out the outfit you get....is it a glitch or something. It looks new and shiny in the bat suit display, but when i equip it the upper half has scratches all over it. It looks right when I wear it in challenge mode.

I don't know if it is a glitch or anything but yeah I have that too. 360 version.

Does completing the game on easy unlock freeplay? I don't think it did in AC, and I'm pretty terrible at the combat.

I'm sorry what? If you mean NG+, no you need to complete the game on normal or hard.

ironcreed

Banned
Just how buggy is this on PS3? Batman has much more of the mysterious 'Dark Knight' vibe here from what I have seen and that really intrigues me. But I don't want to buy it if it has game breaking glitches.

Top Bottom