• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Origins |OT| Justice from the head of Prototype And Hulk: UD

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Just how buggy is this on PS3? Batman has much more of the mysterious 'Dark Knight' vibe here from what I have seen and that really intrigues me. But I don't want to buy it if it has game breaking glitches.

A couple of people, including myself, have mentioned not having any problems on PS3. It's looking like 360 and PC are the buggier versions here.

I had some frame rate slowdowns if I played for a long while, but relaunching the game cleared them up.

I'm glad someone else mentioned the shoulder-button thing, though. The L1/L2 and R1/R2 functions are reversed from the default in AC, and you can't change them, whereas you could in AC. This just makes no sense.

Fortunately I've spent the whole time I've owned a PS3 using some of these, so I was good:

931353075_260.jpg

KHlover

Banned
A couple of people, including myself, have mentioned not having any problems on PS3. It's looking like 360 and PC are the buggier versions here.

I had some frame rate slowdowns if I played for a long while, but relaunching the game cleared them up.

Heh, I didn't encounter a single glitch during my entire PC playthrough of this game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just how buggy is this on PS3? Batman has much more of the mysterious 'Dark Knight' vibe here from what I have seen and that really intrigues me. But I don't want to buy it if it has game breaking glitches.

Be sure to play without any patches or DLC installed, because ironically patching the game will make its performance much worse.

Other than that I haven't encountered gamebreaking bugs. It still has its problems though, but it's most geometry-related [npcs get stuck, stuff like that].

ironcreed

Banned
Be sure to play without any patches or DLC installed, because ironically patching the game will make its performance much worse.

Other than that I haven't encountered gamebreaking bugs. It still has its problems though, but it's most geometry-related [npcs get stuck, stuff like that].

Hm, I'll probably stick to waiting for a price drop. Thanks.

Lima

Heh, I didn't encounter a single glitch during my entire PC playthrough of this game.

You don't but there are more issues with the PC and 360(especially the 360) versions. WiiU seems to be the most bug free experience. But then again that could be because there are a whole lot less people playing on WiiU so you have less people reporting problems.

Derrick01

Banned
Another day of broken Batman, another day of me being stuck doing nothing but challenge maps :\

Any update at all on a patch (that will probably break something else) or are we going to have to wait until at least monday?

Lima

Another day of broken Batman, another day of me being stuck doing nothing but challenge maps :\

Any update at all on a patch (that will probably break something else) or are we going to have to wait until at least monday?

You know sometimes I hate that we have to wait for patches on consoles til they pass certification and tests but in cases like this I don't mind. The game is broken a lot on 360 but there is no need to break it further.

Can't you manually delete the patch on PC?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Eh, personally, I don't think that would work. That stuff could be interesting as some optional side content but certainly not anything significant. That type of "gear switching" has never worked well, and always feels very jarring.

Gordon or Bruce don't have to be limited to police work and detective work. There could still be combat - in Gordon's case, gun combat including limited martial art combat (Gordon is competent in it, but he's no Bruce Wayne) and then you could have Bruce getting information in ways that Batman can't and his combat would be even more stealth based than Batman's (since Bruce can't be caught doing things like Batman does).

Regardless, that was just under the assumption that daytime Batman couldn't be done. I think it could be done, but the story would have to allow for it - Batman would have to be forced to take action in the day. A Justice League type story would allow for it, but also possibly a No Man's Land type story as well - something so catastrophic that it cannot be handled within a single night.

This next thing includes spoilers about a certain enemy type that appears after a certain point of the story, but it's not really story specific spoilers.

Also, all I want from a PS3 patch (and I'm sure everyone else who has the game on other systems wants the same thing) is a framerate fix, predator encounter respawns, and the various glitches resolved that prevent the game from continuing. This game would be a solid 8.5 in my book if the polish was there. Oh! Also, haven't beaten the game yet, but perhaps remove a majority of the
snipers
in the
Diamond
District after the story resolves.

Derrick01

Banned
You know sometimes I hate that we have to wait for patches on consoles til they pass certification and tests but in cases like this I don't mind. The game is broken a lot on 360 but there is no need to break it further.

Can't you manually delete the patch on PC?

I'm sure I probably could, I've learned you can do just about anything on PC, but I'm hesitant to search because of the spoiler risk. This problem takes place almost at the very end of the game. I'm not even sure if my game can be un-glitched without playing it all over again.

GeoGonzo

It's not. It's exactly the same in terms of "fluidity", it's just a lot easier so it seems that way.
I disagree on both things. The new electric gloves makes the combat much easier than the slower but more tactical Arkham City, and Origins is plagued with janky animations that break the flow of combat, thus it really does feel less fluid: Enemies slide to attack at extremely unpredictable speeds, hits sometimes fail to connect solidly and enemies are sometimes knocked back a stupid distance, often leading to risky flights to strike enemies outside of the screen.

I really like this game but are we seriously not going to admit that freeflow fighting got worse?

Penguin

I think may have reached a game breaking bug for myself or maybe missing something

In the sewers trying to get back into Blackgate. He says need to power the switch to lower the gate or something in the electrified room you first entered.

Did that and hit the switch, but the water never rose... Reset the checkpoint, and now he keeps mumbling on, but hitting the button doesn't cause any electricity to flow and the switch has already been hit.

Am I missing something or is this it?

megamerican

I think this may be the first game since Darksiders 2 that I just bail on. It's getting so repetitive and I'm not seeing what people are saying about it having an interesting story.

Arkham City had a disjointed story, but it kept moving and it was doing new stuff. This is just go from building to building, fight guys, stealth room, and then press a button to activate / deactivate something.

I think may have reached a game breaking bug for myself or maybe missing something

In the sewers trying to get back into Blackgate. He says need to power the switch to lower the gate or something in the electrified room you first entered.

Did that and hit the switch, but the water never rose... Reset the checkpoint, and now he keeps mumbling on, but hitting the button doesn't cause any electricity to flow and the switch has already been hit.

Am I missing something or is this it?

I believe theres a room adjacent, with a circuit breaker in. you have to throw a batarang through an electirified gap in the window after you press the button. (the electricity is only on for a few seconds). IIRC

Penguin

I believe theres a room adjacent, with a circuit breaker in. you have to throw a batarang through an electirified gap in the window after you press the button. (the electricity is only on for a few seconds). IIRC

I did that
Water never raised
Reset checkpoint
Now button won't even press. :I

Slixshot

Banned
Enjoyed the story (especially the voice acting), gameplay was more batman which was enjoyable but not innovative, glitches are what brought the game down for me. 7.5/10 in my book.

Chairhome

Anyone else having problems pulling off double counters? Seems like batman does the animation every time but always misses one guy who hits me. Pc version here. Also, I did the challenge for not being seen, but next time I loaded the achievement was gone :/

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
For some reason the incidental dialog of the Bane henchmen in one of the final predator rooms was really funny to me, responding to the Joker over the intercomm.

"The clown will pay for these insults!" etc. :)

hawk2025

Anyone else having problems pulling off double counters? Seems like batman does the animation every time but always misses one guy who hits me. Pc version here. Also, I did the challenge for not being seen, but next time I loaded the achievement was gone :/

You have to press the counter as many times as you need to counter. So if there's two guys attacking you, press Counter twice, and so on.

justjim89

This game would have been a lot better and more believable as a prequel if Batman didn't have pretty much all his gadgets. I've kinda always hated the part where Batman has 1,000 different gadgets that do one specific thing that he always has at just the right time. I would've preferred if he just had Batarangs and smoke grenades. That would've helped differentiate this from the previous games, as well.

And the skill progression in this is like four steps in the wrong direction. Why can't I pick and choose which perks I want? Why should I have to follow the progression? The x5 multiplier was behind like 10 other upgrades. A bunch of the shit was locked behind the challenge paths, which I never dug too far into. The way they did upgrades in AC/AA was much more sensible.

iNvid02

can you playthrough first time with unlockable skins? or is there an option to restart the story and use skins that way? dont want to do NGP just to use a skin

justjim89

Also, it must be said, the entire time I was fighting Firefly I was thinking "The Fury, THE FURY!"

I can't be the only one.

can you playthrough first time with unlockable skins? or is there an option to restart the story and use skins that way? dont want to do NGP just to use a skin

That's a negatory, good buddy. Also, since the cutscenes are pre-rendered, he'll always just be plain old Batman in those.

Huh?

Neo Member
I disagree on both things. The new electric gloves makes the combat much easier than the slower but more tactical Arkham City, and Origins is plagued with janky animations that break the flow of combat, thus it really does feel less fluid: Enemies slide to attack at extremely unpredictable speeds, hits sometimes fail to connect solidly and enemies are sometimes knocked back a stupid distance, often leading to risky flights to strike enemies outside of the screen.

I really like this game but are we seriously not going to admit that freeflow fighting got worse?

At one point I was in free flow and charged at a guy several feet away from Batman. Somehow, when Batman reached the thug he was trying to punch, another thug was already in the process of taking a swing at exactly where Batman was. And I didn't use smoke bombs or the disruptor so it wasn't a wild swing, either.

geomon

It did. Thanks to the 'punch henchman, fly across the screen' and the camera randomly spinning on me sometimes so I miss a critical strike it got to the point for me were fun became frustration. And now that I know that I'm stuck on the dark knight challenges because the predator rooms don't respawn, I've about had it with the game.

Derrick01

Banned
Are the modifiers on challenge rooms random each time you pick them? I'm doing a campaign map where you have to do 3 challenges, and on the third the modifiers are automatically picked for you. The problem with this is this predator room has a goal where you have to do a knockdown smash....but one of the modifiers is you can't do silent takedowns from behind, so you can't even do a knockdown smash as far as I'm aware.

Are the modifiers on challenge rooms random each time you pick them? I'm doing a campaign map where you have to do 3 challenges, and on the third the modifiers are automatically picked for you. The problem with this is this predator room has a goal where you have to do a knockdown smash....but one of the modifiers is you can't do silent takedowns from behind, so you can't even do a knockdown smash as far as I'm aware.

The modifiers are constant for each campaign. If the knock out smash is required on the third map, you have to use the modifier before then.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

There's nothing to "admit", as far as I can see. The combat is slighty faster (which is for the better) and the only jank i've come across during it is the occasional sliding enemy (not that they slide very far). I've used exactly the same tactics I did in AC and got a 60+ combo on my first go on a challenge map (without shock gloves, never got that far). I rarely if at all missed a punch, even when I have it is my fault for tipping the stick in the wrong direction. I don't see how the combat here is less "tactical" either.

The game's real problems are of the save corruptting variety :(

SJRB

Gold Member
About to start my first play through on PS3, is it safe to install the patch or should I not?
Thanks.

Don't, it runs much better without patches. The downside is that you have you play offline, but it's worth it.

Anyone else having trouble clearing 100 to 1 with Batman? I've completed the mode 3 times already but upon clearing the room 1-3 guys fail to spawn at some point so I'm just left walking around with 97/98/99 on the counter with no one left to fight =\

Hey, just remembered reading this earlier, so just jumped on and gave it a go, but I had no bother hitting the 100. PC version, up to date on patches, if this helps.

That's a silly rule but at least there's a way out and it's not another progress impeding glitch.

Hahah yea, I remember playing Arkham City and I was trying to make it as hard as I could for myself, so I wouldn't choose the *helpful* modifiers, but it would force me to use them at the end. I think it's just trying to force a bit of strategy. Annoying though.

Penguin

The water doesn't raise as high as you think it should. Try tossing more glue platforms in. It took me a while too, because the glue platform only forms if you aim in one area.

The game still doesn't recognize that I completed the objective, but was able to form a platform and continue anyhow.

Just finished the game.
I think if not for it being a mess at times, prefer it over City

Lima

That's a silly rule but at least there's a way out and it's not another progress impeding glitch.

Well it was that way in AC too. It tries to bring a little variety to the scenarios as otherwise it would just be the same 3 maps all over again.

Also, it must be said, the entire time I was fighting Firefly I was thinking "The Fury, THE FURY!"

I can't be the only one.

You are not the only one. Firefly seemed like a character Kojima would make.

Let's not pretend that didn't happen in AA and AC too. Strikes not connecting already happened to me twice in AA that I just started replaying again. It is just a flaw of the combat system that is in all three games.

witness

So I just had my first freeze on PS3 after playing for 5ish hours I would say, luckily I was just playing on a challenge map so it wasn't a big deal. Other than that I have been glitch free in the story, I have had some slow down at times though. I guess maybe I should uninstall the patches though reading some posts saying it runs better without them.....

I really like this story, atmosphere, music, Batman's new suit, and graphically it looks really nice on PS3. Hopefully it gets a next gen release in 2014 though and gets some of the PC's enhancements, seems pretty obvious considering WB's other 2013 releases (Lego Marvel and Injustice) are getting next gen port ups for launch.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Has anyone else the feeling, that gliding through the city is not as smooth as in Arkham City?

I dont know, if its just me, but it it feels, that there are now not so many points, where you can get more speed again, compared to AC.

Beside that, the story is just absolutly boring so far, I just finished the first Deathstroke battle.
At this time, Arkham city has blown be away with a great beginning and so many different things going on. Origins is letting me cold.

neoism

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! :O Not sure if any of those patches fixed it or it was me changing..

AllowD3D10=False
AllowD3D11=False
in the BMGAME.ini remember to make it read only after.. or the game will change it back
this to false but the elevator crash right before the copperhead boss battle finally worked.. as in didn't crash :O

So if anyone is still having crashes change them both to false I guess the game runs in DX 9 if you do I had to change the sweetfx file to d3d9.fx for it to work...
man Im so excite lolol

I'm going through all the interior levels clearing up Enigma collectibles, and I'm at the
Hotel, specifically the Overview Bar
. It seems like I've got all the stuff I need, but the door to move on further is locked. Do I really have to backtrack all the way out the way I came in?

ElRenoRaven

I'm going through all the interior levels clearing up Enigma collectibles, and I'm at the
Hotel, specifically the Overview Bar
. It seems like I've got all the stuff I need, but the door to move on further is locked. Do I really have to backtrack all the way out the way I came in?

Yup. That's the big annoyance I found. If visiting locations again you have to backtrack all the way back out of them. SO DAMN ANNOYING.

Darkone

I am playing the PC version and got to Bane`s fight and it keeps freezing on me?
Anyone else got this??

I was thinking it may be my GPU temp and disabled the Physix but on the 3rd try it froze again.

Top Bottom