• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 September 25th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shira

Yes I do mean that.

I was confused since they seemed to have planned everything. And how Alfred said he wouldn't enjoy his part in this but it is after all his duty.

Yes, I think it just a device that helps make Bruce's finale more believable. If they Alfred didn't die, then it makes the conclusion less effective.

shira

It would've been R rated with that kind of content.

Flame me up
tumblr_m81vtaEnp61r1sai2o1_500.jpg

I agree they went over the top, no holds barred.
Murder, violence, Batman. Everything TDKR was too scared to do.

I'm sorry, but what world are we living in where cops being shot, several people being killed, and some people actually being hanged is considered "scared'?

shira

I'm sorry, but what world are we living in where cops being shot, several people being killed, and some people actually being hanged is considered "scared'?

Nah I meant a satisfying conclusion to the story.
Either kill off Wayne or give him a hell of a comeback.

The ending in Returns is perfect.

Red

Nah I meant a satisfying conclusion to the story.
Either kill off Wayne or give him a hell of a comeback.

The ending in Returns is perfect.
Nolan's movies are more human. They are Bruce Wayne's story, not Batman's. That only becomes clear at the end of TDKR. It was a bold move.

iNvid02

had heard good things about this, and a few days ago i saw pt1 on amazon for 10 so went ahead and bought it. was blown away by it all, had no idea these animated movies had reached this level of quality.

really put me in the mood for more animated batman so i've got under the red hood and year one coming soon. might even head back to the animated series and batman beyond afterwards.

anyway, best purchase of 2013 right here.

Blader

had heard good things about this, and a few days ago i saw pt1 on amazon for 10 so went ahead and bought it. was blown away by it all, had no idea these animated movies had reached this level of quality.

really put me in the mood for more animated batman so i've got under the red hood and year one coming soon. might even head back to the animated series and batman beyond afterwards.

anyway, best purchase of 2013 right here.

DKR is an exception, not the rule. Most of the animated movies are pretty bad, Wonder Woman and Red Hood are the only other good ones.

iNvid02

they havent released part 2 on blu ray over here yet but i managed to watch it and it was quite incredible. the way superman was portrayed was so refreshing, right down to the little things like always being referred to as "him". the joker felt completley unleashed as well.

Get part 2. I dont think an animated made me feel aghast at whats happening onscreen.

absolutely, "wtf this cant be happening" was at the forefront of my mind

DKR is an exception, not the rule. Most of the animated movies are pretty bad, Wonder Woman and Red Hood are the only other good ones.

yeah i realized that the DKR is 2012/2013 and very new, hopefully the quality bar remains this high for the future.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew

Year 1 was fantastic. Both justice league New frontier and crisis were brilliant. Even the shorts turned out great. Superman/shazam the return of black Adam was fantastic. Only let down by not being a full length feature.

1cZ20oK.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns-Blu-ray/76976/

Speculation is that both parts have been edited into 1 movie, as MPAA have recently rated this:

Apparently this is starting to appear in stores. It IS both movies edited into one narrative, and includes a new commentary track with the cast and crew, and a Frank Miller documentary.

Might end up picking it up.

I wasn't as big on the movie(s) as everyone else was. It was certainly good. I don't know. Maybe watching them both together will change my mind.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Any reason to pick this up if I already have 1+2?

Blader

This response is six months later but oh well :lol

Did you think Year One was that bad?

Year 1 was fantastic. Both justice league New frontier and crisis were brilliant. Even the shorts turned out great. Superman/shazam the return of black Adam was fantastic. Only let down by not being a full length feature.

Maybe not bad, but I thought it was kind of dull. Cranston was cool as Gordon though. Crisis was also solid and entertaining but I wouldn't say great, much less brilliant.

New Frontier is, imo, one of the worst ones. WAY too much crammed into too little time. All-Star Superman had the same problem too.

bryanee

The commentary only has Bob Goodman, Jay Oliva and Andrea Romano. My blu ray arrived yesterday from DVDWorldUSA, only took three days to arrive from States to the UK . I'm just watching it now, 2 hours 28 minutes of pure sex.

I was hoping there would be more people on the commentary.

Toa TAK

Banned
The commentary only has Bob Goodman, Jay Oliva and Andrea Romano. My blu ray arrived yesterday from DVDWorldUSA, only took three days to arrive from States to the UK . I'm just watching it now, 2 hours 28 minutes of pure sex.

I was hoping there would be more people on the commentary.

2 or 3 is ideal for me, but it's true, right? That it's spliced into one film?

Dennis

Banned
Just watched this (both parts back to back) and......

....wow that was by far the best animated superhero movie ever.

The animation was fantastic, the voice-acting more than adequate and the score surprisingly powerful.

Positively surprised they didn't tone down the violence from the comic book.

Highlight for me was the Joker and Superman fight scenes. Just amazing animation and choreography.

Re-read this earlier in the year. Watched this last night.

Frank Miller really, REALLY wiped his leathery pucker all over Superman's cape, didn't he. He absolutely reimagined what Batman could be back in 1986, and he absolutely did it at the expense of Superman's character.

bjork

I liked both of these (I have the individual discs, not the merged thing), but I gotta say that I didn't like the choice for batman's voice as much as I would've liked. He wasn't bad, but I wished he was more gruff and forceful sounding. Also kinda miss the internal monologue bits from the comic. But I watched it with a friend who'd never read DKR and it went over fairly well, so it was good to know even the uninitiated can enjoy it.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.

Frank Miller really, REALLY wiped his leathery pucker all over Superman's cape, didn't he. He absolutely reimagined what Batman could be back in 1986, and he absolutely did it at the expense of Superman's character.

Eh. I feel that Miller had more he wanted to say about Reagan than Superman or Batman, really.

I don't understand why DC doesn't use Keving Conroy for everything. Why bother hiring Robocop to voice Batman?

Definite stunt-casting. But I don't think Conroy would have worked, either. Not for this tale. Roger Craig Smith, the guy from Arkham Origins, has surprised me with a great interpretation, I think he should be used more in the future. Check it out on YouTube or something if you're not playing the game.

I also would have enjoyed Michael Ironsides reprising the role.

Loxley

I don't understand why DC doesn't use Keving Conroy for everything. Why bother hiring Robocop to voice Batman?

It's likely also partially Conroy's decision when it comes to when he voices Batman - I mean, at this point I have to assume that he and Bruce Timm are buddy-buddy with each other. As much as he loves doing the character, I'm sure he does like to take breaks from it every now and then so it doesn't get boring.

At least he's voicing Batman in The Flashpoint Paradox.

Eh. I feel that Miller had more he wanted to say about Reagan than Superman or Batman, really.

Personally, I've found that thinking Miller has much to say about anything is a mistake. That's what makes his works so disillusioning after a time, for me: They're almost all completely hollow exercises in fetishism.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
At least he's voicing Batman in The Flashpoint Paradox.

Great movie.
You get another Batman vocal interpretation there, too, that would have worked for this.

BadAss2961

It was worth it. It was also a fairly realistic story in regards to Superman. If he were real, he'd most likely become a government tool at some point.

It actually setup a good reason for Batman and Superman to scrap with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom