• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
oh my...

enzo you're buggin, man... it's okay, it's okay. in time the truth will be revealed. this card has enough heat to keep me through the winter & melt your ice cold heart.

for real, though, this is pretty weird and almost like a fuck you from gjonaj to url specifically. considering he was brought up on stage for SM5 and promoted the battle like it was going down on URL west. either way I'm glad it's going down in the pit and is being given the best chance to live up to the hype.

Gjonaj's ascension to top tier is happening fast as hell. Maybe even faster than T Top.
The entire sequence is kind of crazy especially considering Gjonaj's shot at URL in the Born battle (MY FREE WILL IS NOT FOR SALE!).

URL probably having trouble with the next class of PGs. Like, there are some decent people on the SM5 PG card but as far as stars go? I just think it's kind of scummy that KOTD swiped that battle and has been swiping battles for a minute now, whereas Smack asked Organik permission to take Charron vs. Suge. Ultimately I think I'll hurt dude for not signing the contract, the ceiling is way better on URL.

Regardless, Gjonaj is making the right moves in terms of choosing opponents. Going from Gutta to Born was a smart idea. Battling Diz helps but I honestly don't feel it means much in the grand scheme of things unless he bodies Diz (which I don't see happening even though Gjonaj is way better).

I need the full story here.

I cant really say that they snaked this battle since the talk is it's been floated around various leagues with various offers. Apparently Gjonaj was contacted by filmon. Diz said that he hit him up personally to do it at his house party battles event where he ended up battling Marv Won instead. Now KOTD & URL.

The writing on the wall for Gjonaj rocking with KOTD has kinda been there since Ganik and Gully hosted the Born battle.

He could definitely make a big name for himself much easier on URL. Diz, Pat, Daylyt, (and now Rone kinda getting there) are the only names that consistently pull in big views on the KOTD side. Maybe throw Dumb in their too now that he seems to be battling regularly. Either way it can be done on KOTD but it's a lot harder earned. Day had to take multiple shits on stage to get where he's at.

From interviews it seems like Gjonaj is concerned about URL's track record of shelfing white battlers. I might be too if I was in his position. It's easy to look at Real Deal, Bigg K, Sno, Rone and Rosenberg Raw (?) and feel like they all got shafted to varying degrees. Stuff like Norbes openly stating that he likes Caustic but it's hard to book him because he's white doesn't help either.

I get the feeling that they were really positioning Gjonaj as a new URL star and that wouldn't have happened to him but I understand where the concern comes from.

Gjonaj has also openly stated that he's terrible at the business end of battle rap and made the decision to turn down the URL contract before he got a proper manager. Although, he seemed to double down on that decision with the bar you mentioned so who knows where he's at with it.

He'll definitely get the most exposure he's ever had battling Diz on KOTD. At the same time turning down that URL look just doesn't look good on paper.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
From interviews it seems like Gjonaj is concerned about URL's track record of shelfing white battlers. I might be too if I was in his position. It's easy to look at Real Deal, Bigg K, Sno, Rone and Rosenberg Raw (?) and feel like they all got shafted to varying degrees. Stuff like Norbes openly stating that he likes Caustic but it's hard to book him because he's white doesn't help either.
I don't think it's a shelving issue, but the track record for white MCs is obviously not the greatest, but I think Gjonaj can cut through because he's not like the rest of the white battle MCs.

- URL still pushes for Real Deal, problem is nobody will take him and Real Deal stays having shaky performances
- Bigg K burnt bridges himself because he doesn't know when to shut up
- Sno got a pretty good gig IMO, but he doubled down on what people hated about him most in his most important battles (Ill Will/T-Top/Real Deal)
- Rone got genuinely fucked over multiple times, man last year sucked ass for Rone

Iron Solomon did well on Smack but he's Iron Solomon and earned his respect in pretty much every venue. Gjonaj isn't white, but he's also super street. I think being "ethnic" helps him a bit with the biggest problem with white MCs which is people running scared of getting smoked B Magic style. URL crowds LOVE the white boy who can fight back and MCs are super picky about risk aversion. But another thing that's different here is that vets really WANT to battle Gjonaj, he's kind of like T-Top in that regard. Chilla wants to do it, Diz wants to do it, etc.

I tend to agree, especially about Sno self destructing. I honestly think like you said it has more to do with the URL roster ducking than anything. But I do see how someone could get they impression that they'll be left out to dry. Also I do feel URL could have and should have pushed harder for Real Deal. Yeah, he's had shakey performances but his track record as far as URL is concerned is fairly pristine. Verb should never be allowed to touch the stage again if that's how URL is doing it. I mean for god sakes Prep still gets booked. Prep still gets booked. They could have found him someone for more than one card a year (if he even got that much). Im sure Ty Law or something would have battled Deal.

I don't think this is an issue of racial bias holding back certain battlers from being well received on the URL. Gjonaj seemed to feel that way in the AFM interview I heard. I think there could be some ambivalence to try and push for certain rappers to get matches because of how long the ducking has gone on. After enough offers get turned down I bet a dude like Real Deal just leaves the conversation entirely. But thats most likely as far as it goes.

Like you said it's just a problem with the big names not wanting to get the Charron vs Shotgun Suge treatment. Same reason most names wont take a girl on URL but will do it in QOTR.

Better go home and tell em that he light skinned.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: T-Rex vs. T-Top.

URL: Ms Hustle vs. Official.

KOTD: Dizaster vs. Dumbfoundead.

Rex/Top was really good, probably the closest to classic Rex we'll get, he definitely turned up. I'd give it 2-1 to Top.

Ms Hustle vs. Official was okay. Female battles get overhyped a bit and Hustle was definitely getting gassed, but it was just decent IMO. Those O-Solo, Panther and Nefertiti lines doe whew

Diz vs. Dumb was good, Diz kind of meandered off into gibberish territory more and more as the battle went on but it was entertaining and Diz was more organized otherwise. It was like the best and worst of Diz in the same battle. Very GrindTimey feel of that battle with all the race one liners and all. Would prob give it to Dumb 2-1.

Beasley and Tay Roc have been teasing upcoming URL cards.. including a Halloween, December and most notably, a mysterious January event that's supposed to be some next level shit.

EDIT: DNA & K-Shine vs. Chess & Steams. Man this battle is a pain in the ass to get through. No thanks.

m3k

Dumbfoundead vs diz was all racial jokes... It was ok but meh

Rex's first two were more like old rex, t top was pretty good though I like that he made a joke about his drug dealer story raps

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Video of Smack bringing out Gjonaj on SM5. Awkward.

Also this is pretty dope:

12074565_989714438096_2669418998105000606_n.jpg

"every day your dad made you fight akuma and if you lost you couldnt have no spicy tuna" lmao.

Dumb vs Diz was a lot closer watching the PPV. Diz got that pretty comfortably. Best Diz in a while. Certainly not perfect or his best performance at all but he's actually writing again and did well.

Dumb did better vs Con. He had some good shit here as well but he really needs to start ending his rounds better and a lot of his material seemed trailered to a cali crowd so it just fell flat in canada.

Someone clearly paid a lot of money to bring Bigg K out and die. Nice that Bigg K didn't phone it in. Very solid performance. K's getting better with the rebuttals too. Full Effect was trash and barely intelligible, skip worth rounds.

This battle makes me feel really appreciative for the professional effort put into the camera work for the bigger leagues.

edit:
Take three minutes of your time and check out Rivers' rounds, basically every punch landed. That Scientology bar was one of the best this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiN_pbHyhOE

That Scientology bar was nuts. Didn't mind Quack either aside from all the stumbling.

mileS

Keith Murray vs Fredro Starr going down tonight (for real this time?)

lol I hope Fredro gets cooked.. dude is one of the most sensitive rappers in the game. Respect him for what he did back in the day but I ain't fucking with anything he does anymore.

Furyous

This battle is sooooo gotdamn struggle. The stage is tiny as shit and these artists struggle bars are wack. Why in the shit is everyone wearing referee costumes? I'm getting a real filmonish impression from this event but with more struggle rappers that have nothing to do with the event.

*EDIT* Please tell me y'all saw the dude wearing stocking cap with a flat top. AHAT is putting on this event which is unexpected.

*EDIT* They're using condenser mics.... *sigh of a gotdamn lifetime*

This battle is sooooo gotdamn struggle. The stage is tiny as shit and these artists struggle bars are wack. Why in the shit is everyone wearing referee costumes? I'm getting a real filmonish impression from this event but with more struggle rappers that have nothing to do with the event.

*EDIT* Please tell me y'all saw the dude wearing stocking cap with a flat top. AHAT is putting on this event which is unexpected.

LMAO everyone fresh off that footlocker shift.

Yo tell me you caught the Yaki tier musical performance. PAPI GOT THAT POODLE!!!

Furyous

The diet Meek Mill bars from these wack artists are making me nauseous. This event is like gradually watching the ramifications of algorithm based music programming brought on by Hot 97. The anger at Ebro for not playing local artists manifests itself in the form of every performer being swole or fat. Frustration turns into struggle or sadness so artists every workout or eat the pain away.

Why did OD agree to allow performances after every battle? This event is like a struggle version of RBE.

At least the poodle song was bad enough to be Yaki-tier & funny. That I'm the man song was just boring af.

Go full Ether or go home.

Why did OD agree to allow performances after every battle? This event is like a struggle version of RBE.

Yeah this is some bottom tier spid dat heat business.

mileS

-Keith Murray should be ashamed. I hope a close family member or friend shows him this when he's sober or sit him down for an intervention.

-Fredro was garbage but I respect that he still got up there and actually got some bars off with all that fuckery that went on.

That poor foot locker employee tho. Getting tossed around and had the mic snatched from him a million times. Kind of deserved it though lol

Keith Murray is months away from assisted living. It's over.

Half of his rapping were made up words. It's like if O-Red never got translated lmao.

Also that was the most entertaining battle I've seen in a minute tho I was dying the entire time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I refuse to watch the battle proper but I saw Queenzflip's review and I was laughing my ass off.

The referee alone had me dying.

Im watching it now. The ref is getting BODIED.

...on top of this being a trash event. I got ten minutes and couldn't do it anymore.

mileS

I don't think it's a shelving issue, but the track record for white MCs is obviously not the greatest, but I think Gjonaj can cut through because he's not like the rest of the white battle MCs.

- URL still pushes for Real Deal, problem is nobody will take him and Real Deal stays having shaky performances
- Bigg K burnt bridges himself because he doesn't know when to shut up
- Sno got a pretty good gig IMO, but he doubled down on what people hated about him most in his most important battles (Ill Will/T-Top/Real Deal)
- Rone got genuinely fucked over multiple times, man last year sucked ass for Rone

Iron Solomon did well on Smack but he's Iron Solomon and earned his respect in pretty much every venue. Gjonaj isn't white, but he's also super street. I think being "ethnic" helps him a bit with the biggest problem with white MCs which is people running scared of getting smoked B Magic style. URL crowds LOVE the white boy who can fight back and MCs are super picky about risk aversion. But another thing that's different here is that vets really WANT to battle Gjonaj, he's kind of like T-Top in that regard. Chilla wants to do it, Diz wants to do it, etc.

All of these are good points but at the end of the day, no matter what happens, the URL main stage will not fuck with Gjonaj on a level good enough to make signing anything worth it. It works for PG's but that main stage is a whole other beast.

I haven't heard much about this behind the scenes stuff with him but why would anyone sign a deal with a battle league these days? It might help get your paper up temporarily but you are going to miss out on too many opportunities.

Shotty got that easily. Ars was 80~90% garbage this battle. Shotty had a lot of good material but there was too much fuckery in this battle to even enjoy that. The edit tried to save this shit but there was no hope from the start I guess. If anyone caught the PPV or the bootleg you know there was even more dumb shit that didnt make the final cut. Clearly threw off Shotty's delivery at the start of the 3rd.

Also this:

OeSQ3nl.png

Soooooo... yeah...

Yeah, lol the Halloween card seems like it could be a lot of fun. Cadalack Ron is about to Cadalack Ron harder than he ever has before. Awkward vibes guaranteed. Daylyt's performance should be even crazier. I can already imagine the type of shit he's gonna do to counteract Ron.

Top Bottom