• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Ok the 60fps is really nice.

Also, I now have the ultimate badass edition? Was that a free upgrade for anyone who actually bought the game?

Naw, it's their way to emphasize that Winter Update is a huge change for Battleborn so whoever updated the game with Winter Update would get that title.

Krelian

They shuffle around available modes daily, or at least quite often lately. It's really annoying when you want to play a round of Incursion and it's not available. Worst thing is, it wasn't available through Quick Play either :/

So I am trying to build a stupid strong Orendi for Incursion matches on Overgrowth. I already have Voxis Core to give everyone close to my target part of the damage I deal, plus Leechsteel Brooch to add more damage and lifesteal. All I need to complete it is the Bolas Targey Finder. After I hit someone with a skill damage, it should make them take a total of +35% skill damage for the next 10 seconds, plus 15% of that damage also hits enemies near that guy. Pillarstorm or whatever should be exciting!

But i can't get one to drop on The Experiment :(

Also, three legendaries is expensive. That's why I'll only run it on Overgrowth. Maybe Monuments.

Found one yesterday, the build is as glorious and ridiculous as I expected. I melt fools with my Ultimate and even on a regular shadowfire pillar if enemy players are bunched up I can hit for over 1,000 easily.

PSqueak

Banned
I'm really sorry about that! Who was you and who did you play? (my safe guess is you are Montana in Echelon (Inclusion)?)

Yes, spot on.

Also, has anybody had any weird glitches happen in the multiplayer?

The other day on a Meltdown match the ultra minions failed to spawn so we kinda just had to play deathmatch style for like 10 minutes until the timer ran out.

PSqueak

Banned
Didn't want to post twice in a row, but this thread doesnt get much action.

So what exactly are the tie breaker rules for Incursion?

Some time ago a buddy and i teamed up for some matches, so in this particular match we are 50-50 and we managed to defend until time over hoping for some sort of sudden death, instead we lost because the enemy team busted our sentinel first. Okay sounds fair.

With this knowledge, yesterday we had a bunch of matches, we got to yet another 50-50 but we busted their sentinel first, so we defended the shit out of our base until time over securing victory. All according to keikaku, yay!

A couple of matches later we come to the same situation, 50-50, we busted the first sentinel and the enemy team is coming in hot, but we defend until time out and....Lost?!

So the game says we lost by "statistics" and we're like, "what?! since when is this a thing?" so we wait for the score board and...we had more kills? less damage received? overally numbers favor us and we're just scratching our heads over that L.

So how exactly does it work? When is victory awarded to the first to destroy the sentinel and when is it awarded to the "better stats"?

thumb

Banned
I just retried this game on PC, ran through the campaign. Had a ton of fun. Being able to adjust the FOV was a game-changer for me, not to mention all the improvements that have been made.

There's a lot of good single-player content on offer.

Mossybrew

So, been away a while. Great to see Pro support, game is definitely better at 60fps.

BUT what the hell with the new vs. mode setup? Incursion is all I played because the other pvp modes are frankly garbage. Now I can't just select Incursion, I have to play a mix that includes those other shit modes? Plus some baffling other mode they added too? No thanks.

So, been away a while. Great to see Pro support, game is definitely better at 60fps.

BUT what the hell with the new vs. mode setup? Incursion is all I played because the other pvp modes are frankly garbage. Now I can't just select Incursion, I have to play a mix that includes those other shit modes? Plus some baffling other mode they added too? No thanks.

There is an incursion only playlist :/

The second box on the list.

Edit:: oh. I'm command level 19 or below, maybe the playlists change once you get beyond that?

Mossybrew

There is an incursion only playlist :/

The second box on the list.

Edit:: oh. I'm command level 19 or below, maybe the playlists change once you get beyond that?

I sure didn't see one, but maybe I missed something.

And the base PS4 is 60? It sure wasn't when the game released.

Mossybrew

They shuffle around available modes daily, or at least quite often lately. It's really annoying when you want to play a round of Incursion and it's not available. Worst thing is, it wasn't available through Quick Play either :/

I missed this post - I guess this is still in effect, the available modes change daily?

Krelian

I missed this post - I guess this is still in effect, the available modes change daily?
I was actually wrong then, they didn't change daily but they changed modes on specific days--for example, they added doubles mode on Wednesdays and removed the Incursion queue.

Now that they released the update it's all up in the air again. We'll have to see what modes they make available and how often they change them. I don't think they changed modes since the big update on Monday, so the available modes at the moment shoud be Quick Match, Bots Battle and Draft Pick.

Yaster

I sure didn't see one, but maybe I missed something.

And the base PS4 is 60? It sure wasn't when the game released.
That's right, base wasn't 60fps at launch but they updated to make it so. Such is the great support GBX has given this game.

That's the best thing, you cannot say that the developer has abandoned this game as far as updates go.

They really should give that Shard of Solus loot in the founder's gift to everybody, just remove the crown flair component for non-founders. And I'd like a no-flair version of the Shard of Solus anyway; I don't always want to have my character wearing a stupid crown. 0 cost shard generators are so common in builds/essential/useful, I think they should give every player one.

Speaking of stupid crowns, they should not have tied flair in to gear, that's a terrible idea.

But hey, at least for like a week and a half or so, Battleborn is back on PC, woo! I think calling it a free trial is not going to attract as many as it would if it were called free to play, but maybe they couldn't because the trial doesn't include the story mode.

Played this a lot on PS4 when it first came out, genuinely didn't see why the game was getting so much hate. I could see the minor gripes people had with it like the UI and whatnot but deep down there was a solid game.

Recently got a gaming laptop for myself after a promotion, saw that it was going free to play and figured I'd give it a download.

Sigh, only 5 heroes selectable and the rest have to be unlocked? Yes, I'm aware that they were level gated originally when the game was released, but I've played like 10 games and I'm not even close to having enough currency to unlock Benedict.

Game reached a peak of 1561 players on Steam on June 8th, this is how it looks right now.
r3j81ri.png

I could play a few matches in the weekend, with the 'influx' (heh) of players.

You know, I can't be surprised the game bombed. There are all the issues that people have mentioned in the last year, like bad marketing, Randy Pitchord being Randy Pitchord, art style, mix of two genres (MOBA, FPS) that turned off players from both sides, first impression being too confusing and complex game without any tutorial or anything to ease players bit by bit...

There is also the technical issues. While in consoles the competition (CoD, TitanFall, BF, OverWatch, Paladins) it's all 60fps, Battleborn runs at 30fps and low fov.
And, reaching now the point I wanted to make, in pc you can play at 60fps yes, however it feels off. After playing Overwatch and Paladins and Quake Champions the last 2 weeks, Battleborn doesn't feel smooth, even if I play at locked 60 fps. I don't know if it's because it has uneven framerate pacing, or it's related to how controls and animations work, but it doesn't feel tight. It's kind of floaty and unresponsive in comparison.
And if your FPS doesn't feel right in comparison with other FPS... well, forget having success.

Z3M0G

In the past week I gave Battleborn another shot and kinda fell in love with it a little bit... I played the campaign prologue mission and enjoyed it so much, I may buy the game on a good sale to play the rest of it!

But when I tried playing some multiplayer... it was a very sad state of affairs... I assumed this game would have SOME niche community... I managed to get into one Co-op VS AI match one day, but when I tried PVP, there was simply no point in waiting. I also notice there is a "survival" mode or something? That had absolutely no activity either... and I was very curious to try it! At least with bots, but that's not even an option...

After playing quite a bit of Overwatch, Paragon, and Paladins, I felt this game might offer something different. I didn't like the art style originally, but now it feels unique and interesting... and the graphics during the campaign mission were FANTASTIC (Borderlands 3 will look amaaaaaazzzzzzzing)... and the animation was sweet!

If nothing else, I'll drop $5-10 to play the campaign. But I really wish this game had its own online community. I had easier times finding groups to play FUSE a long time after launch (heck, there are probably still people playing that game).

Krelian

What platform are you playing on? There's a small Xbox community so it's still possible to find PVP games. Depending on the time of day it may take a while to find a game, though. If you're unlucky it can easily be 10 minutes or more. Other times it takes mere secoends. It shows that the community is really small.

Z3M0G

What platform are you playing on? There's a small Xbox community so it's still possible to find PVP games. Depending on the time of day it may take a while to find a game, though. If you're unlucky it can easily be 10 minutes or more. Other times it takes mere secoends. It shows that the community is really small.

PS4 for me. The estimated wait times in every mode are "Long". I tried waiting a few minutes, but with how short my windows of play-time are, I can't afford to waste any of it waiting around... usually games like this are a big NO NO for me if matches last anything more than 10 minutes.

What is the average match length in this game, anyways? That would be very useful information for me...

PSqueak

Banned
PS4 for me. The estimated wait times in every mode are "Long". I tried waiting a few minutes, but with how short my windows of play-time are, I can't afford to waste any of it waiting around... usually games like this are a big NO NO for me if matches last anything more than 10 minutes.

What is the average match length in this game, anyways? That would be very useful information for me...

like 15 minutes.

Krelian

30 minutes more often than not in my experience, and least in Incursion and Meltdown. Incursion and Meltdown both have a 30 minute hard limit. It's not unusual for one team to have a clear advantage, in that case the games end earlier. But often the games go all the way to the time limit.

Top Bottom