• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battleborn |OT| Multiplayer Online Bad-Ass Shooter

With 57k sales in its first week, I think Recore has beaten out Battleborn for the worst commercial performance of a triple A title this year.

'Not the worst', Gearbox should try printing that on the box :p

In seriousness though I'm not hopeful for this games future. I suspect Paladins is likely to sweep in and capture Battleborn's potential free-to-play market, though I could be wrong. It isn't as if Smite is especially popular on PS4.

Chrisdk

With 57k sales in its first week, I think Recore has beaten out Battleborn for the worst commercial performance of a triple A title this year.

'Not the worst', Gearbox should try printing that on the box :p

In seriousness though I'm not hopeful for this games future. I suspect Paladins is likely to sweep in and capture Battleborn's potential free-to-play market, though I could be wrong. It isn't as if Smite is especially popular on PS4.

Recore isn't a AAA game...

Recore isn't a AAA game...

What makes you say that? It was probably produced on a budget comparable to games like Battleborn, with a similar development period and comparable number of employees (albeit fragmented across 3 companies in Recore's case).

Neither Battleborn or Recore are exactly triple A in the same sense that games like Call of Duty, Uncharted or Gears of War are, but they both presented what looked like pretty triple A experiences on the stage at E3, and both fought for space in the physical market, under the publishing of a high profile company.

Triple A can be pretty ambiguous term though I think it really comes down to what the developers and publishers think their marketing their game as. Microsoft seemed to think Recore was a triple A game.

"We wanted to be able to give you a great triple-A title that gives you $60 of value but if you aren’t sure, not let that be the barrier of a trade-off. That’s why we priced it at $40. We hope that will increase its chances of having success as a new IP."

Source: Aaron Greenberg.

Either way, I wasn't exactly being serious with my remark before. It's just because there was that thread on GAF earlier in the year that declared Battleborn the worst performing triple A title of 2016. I wanted to point out that I don't think that's true, but didn't want to bump the old thread. However, it doesn't change Battleborn's performance. Recore performing badly doesn't boost Battleborn's numbers, so I just thought it was an interesting if useless bit of information.

Xevren

So what does everyone think of face-off? Honestly I'd put it with capture, really not the biggest fan of it. I do like the operation for whatever reason, being able to get a pair of skins for each character as well as a commander pack is pretty nice.

Thé game is on sale on psn. How is the ps4 community.I like the look of battleborn

There's no player count so it's hard to tell but you can find matches. Sometimes the matchmaking will take about 3 minutes though.

So what does everyone think of face-off? Honestly I'd put it with capture, really not the biggest fan of it. I do like the operation for whatever reason, being able to get a pair of skins for each character as well as a commander pack is pretty nice.

Yeah I could see it playing like Capture. The problem with games like Capture and Faceoff is that they're far less teamwork orientated unless you're already with a pre-made team. On incursion and meltdown the objectives are linear in a sense so it's always clear what everyone on your team is doing and what their direction of focus us, but on gametypes like Capture everyone is all over the place and it's much more difficult to process the teamplay dynamics, especially within a group of randoms.

It's just less accessible and enjoyable as a result. A clear objective with one or two lanes means (like in Incursion and Meltdown) means that everyone on your team will be working towards the same goal, it's easier to process what's happening, and you can synergise your gameplay with your team mates, even with a group of randoms. That's much more difficult to do in Capture and Faceoff, where they may choose to run away at any moment in order to engage one of the other objectives, it's disorganised by comparison.

I think they should have added a gametype like Joust from Smite, but I guess Incursion already is that. Honestly I feel that they just wanted to add a new mode that would facilitate a smaller player count because as the player pool dwindles they are more likely to be able to fill a playlist that requires 6 players, than a playlist that requires 10, but that's no good if the game mode isn't fun.

Loving the Attikus mission DLC. Nice writing. And I love how it scales with you the more you play it. You might want better loot, but you'll get a harder challenge. Really helps break the monotony of running the same thing again and again.

Got to an Op score of 99 last night and we died at the boss :(

Got loads of trash gear so far though. Havent tried PvP yet with the new meta outside of two Faceoff matches where the enemy team was really really bad. I hear Kleese and Ghalilea combos wreck in Faceoff.

Neverwas

Thrall Rebellion has me really looking forward to the other four Operations. Love the scaling concept. Shame it's not incorporated into the base missions as well, though.

Xevren

They really messed up Bouldur after the update good lord, I don't think any other character in the game in its entire lifespan has done as much damage as he does now.

I played the hell out of the Closed Technical Test and loved this game but all the negativity around launch and Overwatch's launch made me skip over it. Is it a decent time to jump in now that it's budget priced or are there a lot of barriers?

foxdvd

With this being 10 bucks black friday, my group of friends are thinking about picking it up just to do the coop..

Quick question...is the season pass worth it if we only plan on doing the campaign coop? How many missions does it add?

With this being 10 bucks black friday, my group of friends are thinking about picking it up just to do the coop..

Quick question...is the season pass worth it if we only plan on doing the campaign coop? How many missions does it add?

The season pass adds five new campaigns/maps, but only two are released right now. I think each DLC campaign/map adds a swath of new skins to unlock for each character.

At this point, I'd only get the season pass on a deep discount.

Menome

My half-year-long quest to get Ambra kills whilst playing Galilea is finally over. Genuinely shed a tear of happiness/relief. :')

Pantz

Best Buy has it for (PS4 Xbox and PC) $9.99 right now, $7.99 with GCU. No clue really what kind of game it is but I bought it anyway!

Menome

Okay, just in case I'm going mad: Did existing players get a small sum of Platinum when the Marketplace came into being?

A friend picked this up recently, so I jumped back in to play with him and wow! We are having a blast! The horde type gameplay is just fun, I love the depth each character build can have too, it makes the game really interesting but it feeds into my biggest anxiety. I always feel like I'm not playing exactly right. The loot/gear system feels super obtuse. Because legendary gear costs more to use than common, it feels like it isn't necessarily better. I never know which gear to use or what's "good." I just don't have the number crunching brain for it. Especially when your gear choices should be tailored to your character, just seems like a lot to figure out.

Anyways, I'm excited for the winter update! Wish we knew exactly when it was supposed to come. I kinda expected this week, for absolutely no reason, but now who knows if it'll even sneak in before 2017.

Shame that this game became so cool to hate, the pvp is especially refreshing in the current gaming landscape.

Syntax

Shame that this game became so cool to hate, the pvp is especially refreshing in the current gaming landscape.
Kind of offended here. I don't hate this game. Never been accused of cool either. Just wish it had been better than it was, enough to have succeeded at least.

As for the Winter Update, I watched the stream where they were to showcase some of it but didn't see anything in the time I watched. Is there somewhere I can see the new UI and other improvements in-game?

Yep, it's an incredible game but people would rather be assholes and shit all over it every single chance they can get. I've said it before and I'll say it again, once all the losers let go of their hateboner for pitchford you'll see tons of posts from people saying "Why is this game shit on so often? It's legitimately a good game!" which is basically what your post already is :p

Kind of offended here. I don't hate this game. Never been accused of cool either. Just wish it had been better than it was, enough to have succeeded at least.

As for the Winter Update, I watched the stream where they were to showcase some of it but didn't see anything in the time I watched. Is there somewhere I can see the new UI and other improvements in-game?

Why would you be personally offended at a fact? He didn't say YOU hate the game, it's just a fact that Battleborn is unanimously the most hated piece of media ever created.

TheYanger

The only shame regarding Battleborn is that it wasn't actually good. It's not 'cool to hate' (it might be that as well, but that's not WHY it started getting hate), it's a game that most of the haters got a chance to play for free in beta. It sucked. End of story.

Adda

It's a good multiplayer game, personally I didn't like the gear aspect and would have played it more without that.

MrBlonde

Picked this up for $10 and I hate it and it takes a lot for me to say I hate a game. Played solo got to the final boss and die from a glitch in the game where I was stuck in the air even when I respawned then to lose all that progress and start over after doing that level for at least an hour maybe even longer, screw that.... I can see it maybe being ok co op with a few people but not solo and some parts were frustrating and to hard, again maybe with others it's ok but not solo

JCH!

The only shame regarding Battleborn is that it wasn't actually good. It's not 'cool to hate' (it might be that as well, but that's not WHY it started getting hate), it's a game that most of the haters got a chance to play for free in beta. It sucked. End of story.

Yup

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/12/19/why-battleborn-is-my-game-of-the-year

This writer bigs up Battleborn and makes many a good point.

Great article, glad he mentions what I tried to articulate earlier about being cool to hate that some posters disagreed with:

Then, shortly after release, things got worse. Somehow it became a thing to celebrate Battleborn’s failure - and probable demise - as news. The same places that had misconstrued and kneecapped the game then danced on its grave.

Great article, glad he mentions what I tried to articulate earlier about being cool to hate that some posters disagreed with:

Of course the people shitting on the game for months are going to deny it :p but anyone that's stepped foot into any Battleborn thread on Gaf has seen it. It's hands down the most hated piece of media ever created. I've never seen any book/movie/game recieve 1% of the vitriol directed at Battleborn. It makes No Mans Sky look as well received/loved as Overwatch.

Here's a single example of the kind of shit that every single BB thread is full of:

I'm glad Gearbox failed on this one. They are a terrible company and deserve all the bad karma.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Here's a single example of the kind of shit that every single BB thread is full of:

You shouldn't pay attention to people who like to shitting on the game(s) and/or companies for stupid reason. Also that poster really had a bad case of attitude and morale so it's better for us to not giving them the attention they wanted.

when does the winter update go live? got this today but i only have like 8 characters :/

I heard mid-January (or maybe earlier) because they are waiting for the certification from Sony/Microsoft for the update.

j0hnnix

so, i ended up putting in the order on amazon found it on sale for 12.99 ps4. is the community still alive?I

psnid jmxxii

so, i ended up putting in the order on amazon found it on sale for 12.99 ps4. is the community still alive?I

psnid jmxxii

I've found that the console community is alot more active than PC, it'll still take longer than most games to find a match because there are literally a fraction of the number of people playing this game compared to most, but you'll find them.

Really like this game got it on the one and ps4 please add me for multiplayer. Gamertag is extremepabs. thanks

It's a great game, glad you're enjoying it :D

Have you tried Paladins/Overwatch? I play all 3 and find that they all bring something unique to the table so I'm curious if you've tried either of those before picking up BB.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Out of curiosity I was considering buying this for a pick up and play, palate cleanser kind of game... So I jump on the store...

$60 on PSN, $20 season pass, plus they are aggressively pushing their pay-for game currency.

W.... T.... F.

Nah... lol.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Out of curiosity I was considering buying this for a pick up and play, palate cleanser kind of game... So I jump on the store...

$60 on PSN, $20 season pass, plus they are aggressively pushing their pay-for game currency.

W.... T.... F.

Nah... lol.

It's cheap on GameStop. Check Battleborn Digital Deluxe

W.... T.... F.

Nah... lol.

So you mean you had no interest in the game in the first place and just wanted to bash it one last time, thanks for the shitpost.

Pay-for game currency doesn't exist in this game and anyone actually serious about buying the game would do a 1 second google search to compare prices and would immediately figure out the significant price difference between physical and digital and go for the cheaper option if they waited this long to jump into the game.

Glad you have nothing better to do than STILL shit on this game months later when it stopped being the cool game to hate once NMS came out, how about you move onto that game and go shitpost about it elsewhere.

Battleborn price is a literal joke.

Oh hey, look, you were totally aware of the game being available at a lower price at the time but still pretended to not know about that in order to shitpost here asshole.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=172651967&postcount=14

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225414049&postcount=169

Seriously, what a loser.

Top Bottom