• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Tecnniqe

Banned
Each map has attackers vs defenders.

Attackers have to capture 2 or 3 points in a zone, and once all of the points are udner complete control of attackers, the zone is lost for the defenders, attackers then have to kill all remaining defenders in a zone to unlock the next zone and defenders hae to reposition.

Each map has 5 or 6 zones total, with 2 or 3 points each, Attackers have three chances to take all the zones of a map, each time they fail, they get reinforcements, such as a zeplin, boat or whatever.
Hah that metal train with a million cannons wrecked our shit round 3 :3

Impulsor

Hah that metal train with a million cannons wrecked our shit round 3 :3

PEople still don't understand that in order to destroy the tank train they should spec for it, as well as people on the attacking team don't seem to udnerstand that equipping repair tools helps keeping the train working.

People still need to get their shit together in this game and stop running around like headless chickens, haha.

Tovarisc

Soooo, PC is a safe bet for a strong community, right? Battlefront was a wasteland but I assume Battlefield should be better?

Hardline died in blink of an eye on PC, because quality of the game. It tried to be some pseudo coppers and robbers game with all Battfield elements making it weird hybrid without own identity, also gameplay didn't resonate with PC gamers. Same time BF4 was and still is going very strong on PC.

If BF1 is good Battlefield and gameplay resonates with PC gamers then it will have legs and strong community on PC for long time.

Roe

Just bought BF1 for $46 on Greenmangaming. I'm sure the game is well worth the prepurchase considering the reviews already out for the PC version.

Impulsor

Hardline died in blink of an eye on PC, because quality of the game. It tried to be some pseudo coppers and robbers game with all Battfield elements making it weird hybrid without own identity, also gameplay didn't resonate with PC gamers. Same time BF4 was and still is going very strong on PC.

If BF1 is good Battlefield and gameplay resonates with PC gamers then it will have legs and strong community on PC for long time.

Pretty much this.

Battlefront has like 1400 players conencted right now. Suffered the same fate.

I assume it was ebcause of little gameplay depth and balance.

Dmax3901

Okay, I've given every map a solid whirl. Random thoughts on those and the game in general.

St. Quentin Scar: My favourite of the maps, as it embodies everything I love about Conquest Large. Just the right size, combing almost every gameplay element (vehicles / infantry) across interesting topography and diverse capture points. Feels like Battlefield at its best, where a million different things could happen at every point depending on how people play.
Monte Grappa: Manages to balance hugely open terrain without being a sniper wonderland thanks to a lot of rocky cover. Not quite as brilliant as Scar but on the right track in terms of size and capture point diversity. Gorgeous, too.
Amiens: Brilliant urban map, again utilising vehicles well so it's not too infantry focused. Definitely has its slaughter fields down streets but doesn't feel like a constant bottleneck thanks to balanced open areas and back alleys. Flows really well, the result being a crazy cinematic, destroyed city conquest match. Chaos, but intense and fair chaos.
Ballroom Blitz: I expected a infantry based interior map, what I got was a huge open conquest match that plays surprisingly well. Definitely a bit more spaced between points, so capturing one point doesn't organically lead to advantages/support for another, but still plays really well. The centralised building capture points is huge and completely avoids gross bottlenecks thanks to its layout, supporting multiple separated entanglements within.
Fao Fortress: It's.....okay, but pretty dull in my opinion, mainly because the edged fortress capture points feel disconnected from the rest of the map, and the huge openness and minimal cover makes it a sniper wonderland. It has its moments, classes/vehicles are viable, but I'm not getting that real zazz I get with better conquest maps. Feels like a one trick pony, if that makes sense.
Sinai Desert: Gonna be honest, the more I play (from the beta) the more I like it. I actually think it flows okay even if the layout could do with some spacing. Definitely feels pretty chaotic at times, but I also feel every class can play a role as long as they know what it is. Urban conflict feels completely different from the outer conflicts, and I think that encounter diversity is a sign of something working.
Empire's Edge: Fucking huge. It's okay, but it's definitely more about the slog between capture points than really tight movement between each one. The conditional effect of fog I think accentuates this, as it blankets the map and MASSIVELY reduces visibility. Assaulting a fortress in the fog is super immersive, but yeah. Lots of travelling, bit of a hike between some points on foot.
Suez: I don't like it. It avoids "bottlenecks" thanks to its open urban environment. But the linear flag layout means the ebb and flow, push of teams tends to always the same. It's just two walls clashing up against each other, outskirts trying to weasel around, and a whole lot of chaotic urban sniper battles. Not a fan, maybe better on different modes and small teams.
Argonne Forest: It's like making a dense forest map and then not making a dense forest map. Very blatantly bottle necked corridors via rock formations and impassable terrain. Chaotic shitfit with 64 players. I can see the appeal if you're a metro/locker fan or manage to break through, but yeah. It's just way, way too small, and too strict/corridor in layout. Pretty huge disappointment to me given the aesthetic. Battlefront's Endor honestly does a better job of interactive forest topography.

I'm actually super happy as a whole with the map quality. Not everything is DICE's conquest large A-game, but I also think some of that has to do with my own taste in type of map layout, and DICE obviously want to offer a bit of diversity in how conquest large maps flow. That being said, a majority of them I'm really happy to keep playing over and over in a server roster. And to DICE's credit none of them feel overly similar. There's a really good diversity here. Argonne and Suez are the only two maps I'd be happy to have scrubbed entirely from conquest large servers. Fao maybe too just because it's a bit boring, and I can see Empire's Edge rounds lasting quite a while (especially if you don't have the full 64 players).

What I'm most happy with for Battlefield 1 though is how well everything just...works. Which is depressing and speaks volumes on DICE's launch consistency, but fuck me Battlefield 4 (and unless I'm misremembering, Battlefield 3 to an extent too) was a clusterfuck at launch. Battlefield is going to have bugs, but I've managed to play through every single map on conquest large with not a single freeze or exit, no significant audio/visual bugs, all game systems functioning as well they should (minus the odd goofball thing here and there), nothing game breaking in the least, and every map played as a match in FULL from start to finish with complete satisfying. Almost everything about the game just comes together exceedingly well straight out of the gate, at least for Conquest 64. The only consistently weird thing I've noticed is obvious lag with flying sometimes, but it's not a major issue at this point and will hopefully be ironed out.

On a purely metagame level, what I'm stoked to see is DICE double down on the infantry aspect of the game as the, I dunno, bread-and-butter of the core game systems. I adore Battlefield 4, but it really feels almost MOBA-like in the huge selection of vehicles and roles, where even in a helicopter or tank you just kinda feel like another thing on the map that could be wiped out in seconds. That's cool, I had a lot of fun. But Battlefield 1 seems to be heavily about infantry being the core of how the game plays, so the gunplay feels really good and most of the maps are accomidating for multiple strategy and class play. The simplification of class gear and equipment means your role is really focused, which in squads and major battles results in everyone kinda working together seamlessly (okay, that's not perfect, and never will be, but you get what I mean). There's less fluff and bulk. And that plays into vehicles too, where their presence on the map is really felt and weighted with power. A tank rolling in or a skilled pilot doing bombing runs feels instrumental in shifting the tide of battle. And that's a really cool feeling that Battlefield 4 did a pretty poor job of creating.

And of course, the whole World War 1 setting works wonders. In reality it's a safe World War 1, encroaching on World War 2, but that's just a result of players knowing modern combat strategies in video games that were a mess during the WW1 period. You can't fully replicate that when the audience is inherently trained otherwise. But it works. The boots-on-ground philosophy is absolutely true here, and gives the game an instantly immersive, historic feel thanks to the aesthetic, settings, and equipment. The quality of effects, especially shifting map weather, leads to some crazy cinematic sequences, all unscripted and simply a result of player involvement. If you've ever watched WW1/WW2 movies you will get countless moments that perfectly replicate the stuff you see in these.

Fucking stoked so far. Everything works. Servers work. Games work. It feels fantastic to play. The maps are mostly favourable. The production values are brilliant. It's been simplified in all the right ways, less bloat. Vehicles have a proper presence and power. I can see myself pouring countless hours into this one.

Well said and I agree on most points.

Having a blast with the game and can't wait to have a good try of Operations and Singleplayer. Thursday night can't come soon enough.

Little concerned about the apparent lack of hardcore mode though.

GazzaGSi

Just updated the companion app on my phone and it's hanging when accepting the terms of service. Anyone else having a similar issue, just wondered if it maybe my phone or a origin problem. Cheers

Edited:
Reinstalled and working. Nice smooth interface and a free dog tag for being 'on the go'.

jediyoshi

Soooo, PC is a safe bet for a strong community, right? Battlefront was a wasteland but I assume Battlefield should be better?

Because of how Battlefield has a unified launcher now, I'd suspect even BF4 will continue to have a strong community alongside BF1.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hardline, as others have noted, was a weird Battlefield x Cops hybrid that was lacking its own identity, competing with Payday (which was already very well established), and blatantly trying to annualise the overarching series. It had no major-entry oomph to give it presence in the market.

Battlefront, as much as I enjoy it, was the antithesis to popularisation in the already picking PC gaming community. It stretched its content far too thinly across a whole bunch of modes, and lacked depth and diversity in game systems and objectives to make the larger matches feel genuinely complex and varied. And on a technical level had no server browsing, and not even regional filtering until they patched it.

Unless something unusual happens (and hey, you never know) I can't see Battlefield 1 going down the same path. It's distinctly Battlefield, offering the same game system addictivity and match variety. It doesn't feel content lacking, overly simplified, or stripped of depth. It performs and plays very well right at launch. And DICE seem to have mapped out a post-launch support plan to keep the community happy (even if most of that will be paid DLC). I still think it wont have the communal size longevity of Battlefield 4 simply due to the chosen setting, but yeah. I think more than enough people will stick around, and if they don't I'd consider it the deaththrows of the series on PC.

Pastry

Banned
For NA PS4 users I just found this on the EA support site.

I get error code WC-40371-5 when redeeming my Early Enlister Deluxe Edition code, what do I do?

We’re aware that some North American Early Enlister Deluxe edition codes on PlayStation 4 are giving error messages and coming back as invalid.

We’re actively investigating this right now and will keep you updated.

Please hold on to your code while we work on this.

I'll try again when I get home and then if it's not working I'm going to get in touch with support.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The narrowness and bottlenecks of the forest map is a metaphor for the brutality of trench warfare and the limits it presented to those having to tactically confront it. May not be a great Battlefield map with its limited use of vehicles, but it is a great world WWI map (and to a degree, a Vietnam map).

Drewfonse

Are all the maps available in both conquest and rush, just with different variations?

I didn't see several of them in hours of early access. Were some of them restricted?

I really enjoyed the game I played on Argonne and I hate the Metro type maps in past Battlefield games. There are so many paths to take I never found there to be a bottleneck that had to be brute forced by spamming grenades and geometry glitching the other team. It was just constant flanking and action.

phaonaut

PC players

When flying a plane do you mouse still? or do you switch to controller or arrow keys?

The arrows keys give me more control of the plane itself (pulling out of a dive or a tight turn), but makes it hard for precise aiming.

Machina

Banned
Argonne isn't as bad as some of you peeps are saying. Yes it's a meat grinder but there are sections of that map that make for a great time in the right circumstances

AEREC

Game looks amazing but the variable framerate on PS4 is incredibly jarring especially coming from battlefront.

Really hope the PS4 Pro has a constant 60.

jaaz

Argonne isn't as bad as some of you peeps are saying. Yes it's a meat grinder but there are sections of that map that make for a great time in the right circumstances

I'm not sure why some people are so against meat grinder maps. It's only one/two maps anyways. I enjoy the variety, On some days I simply felt like playing Metro/Locker over a Caspian/Karkland.

jond76

Banned
There's nothing like Battlefield. The moment to moment experiences never get old. So glad they nailed it. The dynamic weather and fog stuff is outstanding.

I'm not sure why some people are so against meat grinder maps. It's only one/two maps anyways. I enjoy the variety, On some days I simply felt like playing Metro/Locker over a Caspian/Karkland.

I've got no problem with the meat grinder maps when they are played with the normal rules. What I hate is the constant "MAX TICKETS INSTANT REPSAWN LOCKER 24/7" servers that seem to be more common than the regular ones. That's when they stop being fun and start being stupid.

Shock32

So does the Argonne forest have some weather effects? During the last game it either got real dark or real foggy, but then was gone in 30 seconds. Kinda weird.

Mahonay

Banned
I'll be twiddling my thumbs watching for my package to arrive from Amazon today. It says it went out for delivery already so that's a good sign at least.

Sanjuro

I'll be twiddling my thumbs watching for my package to arrive from Amazon today. It says it went out for delivery already so that's a good sign at least.

Amazon website says today.
UPS website says tomorrow.

Amazon customer service says "It's going to be great. UPS has this as a priority."

No change so far!

Mahonay

Banned
Amazon website says today.
UPS website says tomorrow.

Amazon customer service says "It's going to be great. UPS has this as a priority."

No change so far!
Oof that sucks. Guess you just have to hope your package missed getting scanned and is actually already on the way to you.

Top Bottom