• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

PS4 EU - just got this game out, I've played it very briefly a few weeks ago as I've been trying to cull the vast holiday backlog.

I had a play through some campaign, then tried to play online but couldn't connect. Gave up after ten minutes. Is this a widespread thing or just me?

Theorry

Servers are still abit down here i think. Or the matchmaking servers are down. Me and my buddy always get in a empty server now and maybe max 6/7 other people join and then it stops. To bad. Was on a roll tonight.

terrible

Banned
What a surprise, I went 28-5 vs the alts in TDM and then they all left.

Isn't that always the way lol. Even if they are winning against you they'll hate dying so much so they'll just eventually leave. It's worth staying in games like that just for the eventual rage quits.

People are requesting More sniper maps....seriously???.....theres only 2 maps where i rarely see the glinting shine of a teamate who is helping our team lose a game by about 300 tickets to sit on a rock trying to pick off people with the other 10 snipers on the rocks

The Flash

Banned
I'm guessing they'll address this somehow. Getting shot in arm should pierce the body into the chest, effectively killing a person instantly.

I agree. The whole arm damage things needs to be looked at. At the very least the Martini should be exempt from this rule. Wasn't OP in the slightest.

terrible

Banned
This Kevlar Arm thing has been plaguing online shooters for way longer than it should. It was a big issue in another game I used to play called Day of Defeat. That was like 15 years ago. You'd think devs would figure this out by now.

Theorry

Whats wrong with the servers? Stuff has been pretty great for the first 3 months?
Just tonight i had my first real downtime moment. Sucks. But happens.

dragos495

i played all day today and no problems for me. im in the uk.

played some operations and got bored and tried a custom server with this new "eye to eye" name... well efff me that was the most fun i had in the game until now. shotguns only on amiens, domination until 200 points. 50 kills per game and crazy amount of xp, had a 40+ captured flags in one game at some point...

absolutely loved it!

Ravek

Banned
People are requesting More sniper maps....seriously???.....theres only 2 maps where i rarely see the glinting shine of a teamate who is helping our team lose a game by about 300 tickets to sit on a rock trying to pick off people with the other 10 snipers on the rocks

That's what I was fucking saying on the last page....

More sniper maps?! Fuck that person

I still can't agree with that until the RNG factor on the initial shots is gone. Effective tap firing should be a thing for LMG's.

The LMGs actually become less accurate when you tap fire. The first few shots will be inaccurate and the longer you hold the trigger and fire, the more accurate the LMGs become.

What controller sensitive are people playing with on the PS4? I can't seem to find a good setting.
Soldier Stick Sensitivity: 45 %
Vehicle Stick Sensitivity: 30 %
Soldier Zoom Sensitivity: 88 %
I also have Uniform Soldier Aiming on as well.

Fam, I'm mapping people with the Huot. The HUOT. LMGs are the real deal.
Doing well with them doesn't prove that that factor isn't a problem. I've had awesome games with them too. That only means we could be doing even better with them (even with the Huot) if they rid them of a mechanic that was bad from the ground up, and never should have been implemented.

The LMGs actually become less accurate when you tap fire. The first few shots will be inaccurate and the longer you hold the trigger and fire, the more accurate the LMGs become.
I'm aware of that. I'm saying that DICE's initial inaccuracy mechanic should be fully eliminated. It's a bad idea from the ground up in my opinion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The sharpening wasn't in the beta, god knows why they turned it up so much for the final game. This guy found the parameter for the sharpening, but you can't change it.

As you can see it's set to 4 in BF1, and only 0.1 in Battlefront.

Aww man, that's so sucky. Cheers. If only someone could get a straight answer from DICE as to why this is, and if it can be changed (sharpening toggle would be nice).

I'm aware of that. I'm saying that DICE's initial inaccuracy mechanic should be fully eliminated. It's a bad idea from the ground up in my opinion.

Ahh okay. I kinda get the idea behind it, trying to make the support weapons different from assault weapons. Also different from modern warfare with the laser beams accuracy. But still, it's odd holding the trigger to become more accurate. It's meh to me, I won't miss that weapon mechanism if DICE removes it in the next Battlefield game.

EDIT: BTW servers are good again. I can see my correct rank in the menu now.

terrible

Banned
I still can't agree with that until the RNG factor on the initial shots is gone. Effective tap firing should be a thing for LMG's.

I get what you're saying and I too prefer the tap fire style from BF3/BF4 but I'm now able to use basically every LMG pretty effectively. Up close only the BAR is truly competitive but at every other range the other ones are good. It's a trade off, kind of like using the Selbstlader over the Autoloading Extended.

Ahh okay. I kinda get the idea behind it, trying to make the support weapons different from assault weapons. But still, it's odd holding the trigger to become more accurate. It's meh to me, I won't miss that weapon mechanism if DICE removes it in the next Battlefield game.

I hope they remove it in this game if anything lol. It was a bad idea from the start. All these LMG buffs are being made simply because that mechanic sucks.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It's not great, but the weapon balance is at least clear and coherent this time around. Effective weapon ranges are much more important in BF1 than BF4, where you could tap fire snipe with an SMG if you felt like it. Or use a sniper rifle like a shotgun.

Ahh okay. I kinda get the idea behind it, trying to make the support weapons different from assault weapons. But still, it's odd holding the trigger to become more accurate. It's meh to me, I won't miss that weapon mechanism if DICE removes it in the next Battlefield game.
They'd still be different from the Assualt weapons even without that mechanic. A gun that starts off wildly inaccurate, when it's intended for mid-long range combat is just a bad design mechanic in my opinion. It makes them feel awkward and often frustrating.

I get what you're saying and I too prefer the tap fire style from BF3/BF4 but I'm now able to use basically every LMG pretty effectively. Up close only the BAR is truly competitive but at every other range the other ones are good. It's a trade off, kind of like using the Selbstlader over the Autoloading Extended.
I've played effectively with every LMG in the game I've tried, but I'm constantly just frustrated with the awkwardness of being unable to tap fire. As I stated above, that sort of wild inaccuracy on a mid-long range weapon isn't a good design decision in my opinion. I don't agree that at other ranges the others are good. A few are ok from medium range, after the inaccuracy clears up, but unless you have a bipod, from long-medium to longer ranges they aren't good in my eyes.

Tap firing is natural for an LMG, and would make them more competitive in their intended ranges for use.

terrible

Banned
It's not great, but the weapon balance is at least clear and coherent this time around. Effective weapon ranges are much more important in BF1 than BF4, where you could tap fire snipe with an SMG if you felt like it. Or use a sniper rifle like a shotgun.

Eh, I'd say it's way less clear and less balanced overall here than it was in BF4 after all its patches. We have sweet spot snipers, random bullet spread on LMGs until you fire X amount of bullets, shotguns with no competition in CQC, etc. There's a lot of complicated stuff going on that you didn't even have to think about in BF4.

As Terrible points out above, there are definite issues with the overall weapon balance in this game.

There are some pretty bad weapons in this game, but my primary gripe is with the one aspect for all the Support weapons that I mentioned. Defined class roles and weapon performance is good, I just wish it was shifted a bit more towards skill, and a bit less away from Rock Paper Scissors.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Eh, I'd say it's way less clear and less balanced overall here than it was in BF4 after all its patches. We have sweet spot snipers, random bullet spread on LMGs until you fire X amount of bullets, shotguns with no competition in CQC, etc. There's a lot of complicated stuff going on that you didn't even have to think about in BF4.
The thing that's more clear is the differentiation between different weapon classes. The lines were much blurrier in BF4. Your tactics didn't have to change much across load-outs because accuracy was so high across the board. I don't think LMGs are intended to outgun Scout weapons at range this time around. Damage drop-off is pretty severe, which reinforces that point.

Tap firing with an LMG against someone with a marksman class weapon is just going to get you killed anyway. The DPS isn't high enough. And that's assuming you don't get killed in a cross-fire because every map is a clusterfuck.

The thing that's more clear is the differentiation between different weapon classes. The lines were much blurrier in BF4. Your tactics didn't have to change much across load-outs because accuracy was so high across the board. I don't think LMGs are intended to outgun Scout weapons at range this time around. Damage drop-off is pretty severe, which reinforces that point.

Tap firing with an LMG against someone with a marksman class weapon is just going to get you killed anyway. The DPS isn't high enough. And that's assuming you don't get killed in a cross-fire because every map is a clusterfuck.
I don't think anyone is asking for LMG's to be just as effective as Scout weapons at longer ranges, but for them to be more competitive against such classes at those longer ranges. As I said, I just want the balance to shift a bit. Tap firing LMG's will take 6-7 shots to kill at longer ranges, so they won't outdo the Scouts or Medic rifles, but can compete more directly with them, making engagements more skillful, and reinforcing the supportive and suppressive role the Support Class and its weapons are supposed to provide.

With tap firing, you can still outgun Scouts at range. Not always, but at least you would be able to do it sometimes, or at the very least do some damage to them and provide suppression on a Scout, forcing them to potentially duck for cover, move, or rethink their tactics.

arimanius

Soldier Stick Sensitivity: 45 %
Vehicle Stick Sensitivity: 30 %
Soldier Zoom Sensitivity: 88 %
I also have Uniform Soldier Aiming on as well.

Awesome thanks. I'll give these a try.

what's your guys favorite variation of the mg.15 or whatever and the madsen mg?

also what's the best sniper variant for run and gunning, carbine or infantry?

what's your guys favorite variation of the mg.15 or whatever and the madsen mg?

also what's the best sniper variant for run and gunning, carbine or infantry?
Personally I like the suppressive variation. I like having the 200 round drum magazine and a sight. But I been messing around more with the other variations.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
After ~133 hours of play I finally, finally got to give the artillery truck a try.

Not bad.

Still haven't driven a single behemoth.

Here's a suggestion. If you don't want me to quit out of a round where my team is clearly going to lose (down 200+ with one team over 900), don't make it so that I get 1.0 times my score for sticking out with the losing team. You know what else gets me 1.0 times my score? QUITTING EARLY. Make it so that if you quit you keep your score, but if you stick with it (losing) you get 2.0, and if you win, you get a minimum of 3+ (4.0 for those domination rounds). I played a round earlier tonight and right off the bat it was clear it was going to be a beatdown; it ended up 1000-375 or so. I'm on the losing team. My ONLY reason for sticking it out (and just messing around in customize as to not spawn because fuck the everloving shit out of that noise) was hoping the next map was one I liked (it wasn't). How is that fun for anybody (queue UKGAF spending the next 300 posts talking about how much fun they have gangraping randoms)?

And while we're at it, if one team goes down 100+ (in conquest, mind you), they get the behemoth, right? If the behemoth dies and they're still down 100+, the map should end immediately. None of this fucking about for 400 more tickets when it's clear that gap is NEVER getting evened. It's absurd. You had your shot, you blew it (twice, on account of it was even when you started), the game is over. Do better next map. Stop wasting everyone's time.

After ~133 hours of play I finally, finally got to give the artillery truck a try.

Not bad.

Still haven't driven a single behemoth.
I have only used the artillery truck with the AA loadout whenever there is an hostile airship roaming about. It helps a lot in operations when the Stationary AA guns are knocked out.

I havent tried the other loadouts however

Apt101

Killing people on horseback feels awkward. I did manage to pin a guy into a corner, I don't think he could see me because he was just twisting in circles against the rocky cliff face he was stuck on. After giggling for a moment I sworded him all slow and deliberate like then got blasted by a tank.

Top Bottom