• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

terrible

Banned
People are hating on the Huot? I just unlocked it have used it for about two rounds. It seems like a realy solid gun, with the only downside being a low clip size. Is there something I'm missing?

It was a complete turd until the recent patch. It had a very low firing rate and it was accurate but not accurate enough to offset the shit damage output. Now it has basically no recoil so it's ok.

Teamdeath match has to be the dumbest game mode in this game. 8v8 and 5 FUCKING PEOPLE ARE SNIPING. A fucking sniping camp fest between both teams and I'm supposed to get 20 kills. Never touching this garbage game mode again.

bombshell

Teamdeath match has to be the dumbest game mode in this game. 8v8 and 5 FUCKING PEOPLE ARE SNIPING. A fucking sniping camp fest between both teams and I'm supposed to get 20 kills. Never touching this garbage game mode again.

20 kills for the TDM medal? You can get those 20 kills in other game modes :D

So it's just like conquest then?
No because at least on conquest there's vehicles I can get into if people play like cowards.
20 kills for the TDM medal? You can get those 20 kills in other game modes :D
Wow, I wish I knew that. I got it that same match but I hated every minute of it. I literally play Battlefield 1 for Operations and occasionally Conquest. Fuck small game modes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Definitely hungry for a new map pack. Shame about the wait until March, but I understand; the game hasn't been out long.

I just hope the quality is up to par and they don't focus too much on new modes over maps integrating well into Conquest 64. Battlefield 4 did a pretty good job of making sure at least 1 - 2 maps in each expansion pack (sometimes more) slotted nicely into the usual Conquest rotation. Battlefield 3 fumbled a bit more in that regard, and Battlefront had no idea what it was doing.

I am playing since launch and never got this medal.I want the bloody skull.

So are the 5 weekly medals not the same for everyone? I got the TDM medal a while ago. If they are randomly assigned to each person each week I would have thought there would be something in place to ensure I don't get 4 assignments I've already completed like I did last week.

You should be able to get service stars on medals to show how many times you've completed them.

Xyber

So are the 5 weekly medals not the same for everyone? I got the TDM medal a while ago. If they are randomly assigned to each person each week I would have thought there would be something in place to ensure I don't get 4 assignments I've already completed like I did last week.

You should be able to get service stars on medals to show how many times you've completed them.

No, they are random for everyone.

No, they are random for everyone.

That sucks. If they can't give me 5 medals I haven't completed yet, at least let me choose the 5 I want. I don't even mind only being able to track one at a time or having to complete the requirements in order.

Either that or let me spend war bonds to choose a different medal like in Battlefront.

ElfArmy177

Can someone explain why this looks a generation better on xbox one than battlefield 4, which is a horrific jaggy mess? It's the same engine.. I just don't get it. I literally can't see shit in bf4, but battlefield 1 looks like a PC game compared to it. (yes, I have a 1080 gtx, so I have seen what it looks like on PC),

nelchaar

This game doesn't really reward flag defending much in conquest. I get why people capture points then rush off to the next one; that's where the action is, that's where the points are.

I spend a lot of time defending points while my team plays capture tab and I end up at the bottom part of the team rank.

Can someone explain why this looks a generation better on xbox one than battlefield 4, which is a horrific jaggy mess? It's the same engine.. I just don't get it. I literally can't see shit in bf4, but battlefield 1 looks like a PC game compared to it. (yes, I have a 1080 gtx, so I have seen what it looks like on PC),

BF4 still had to cater to last generation and also was still early in Frostbite 3's life cycle and early in XB1's life cycle. They've now dropped last gen and had several years to improve their engine in every way, especially in their antialiasing solution.

This game doesn't really reward flag defending much in conquest. I get why people capture points then rush off to the next one; that's where the action is, that's where the points are.

I spend a lot of time defending points while my team plays capture tab and I end up at the bottom part of the team rank.

yes, i wonder how it would change the dynamic of conquest maps if they awarded points for actually stay on a given point

Meccs

First time trying the game after the patch and I have a shit-ton of deaths while already behind cover or around the corner. I never had this before in 20+ hours of gameplay. Not to this extend anyway. My ping is the same as before.

Brohan

Yeah it's a shame really. Sometimes i make some great defensive plays and i really don't get rewarded for it by the game at all.

terrible

Banned
Yeah it's a shame really. Sometimes i make some great defensive plays and i really don't get rewarded for it by the game at all.

And the best part is capturing and holding a flag does more towards winning than just playing musical flags does.

*adds to the list of reasons why SPM is meaningless*

terrible

Banned
The only positive thing I can think of about everyone sniping in TDM is that at least they are playing the correct mode if they want to be a useless sniper.

Ugh, I really suck at this game. When I thought I was getting a hang of it, I get my ass kicked in all of the games I played today.

My biggest problem is not landing my shots. I can't get a handle on the guns at all, and I feel like I miss shots that I thought looked dead on. Should I be completely still when I fire? I'm on XB1, and I've tried to mess around with the control settings, but my aim is just horrendous.

My other problem is not knowing how to approach the objective locations. I don't know where to look when I turn a corner, and I never know where I'm getting shot from.

I really want to get good at this game so I've been reading up on the links in the first post and even watched some tips videos. But I just feel completely lost.

Xyber

Ugh, I really suck at this game. When I thought I was getting a hang of it, I get my ass kicked in all of the games I played today.

My biggest problem is not landing my shots. I can't get a handle on the guns at all, and I feel like I miss shots that I thought looked dead on. Should I be completely still when I fire? I'm on XB1, and I've tried to mess around with the control settings, but my aim is just horrendous.

My other problem is not knowing how to approach the objective locations. I don't know where to look when I turn a corner, and I never know where I'm getting shot from.

I really want to get good at this game so I've been reading up on the links in the first post and even watched some tips videos. But I just feel completely lost.

Bullets have travel time, so if someone is moving you should aim slightly ahead (how much obviously depends on how far away they are). You do have worse accuracy when moving, so if possible it's best to stop while you shoot someone unless they are also shooting at you. If you are getting suppressed (which will make the edge of the screen get darker) your shots will have some random spread too.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about map awareness but to play a lot and learn the maps. But looking down at the minimap often is something you should make a habit.

A good way to learn the maps is to be more focused on supporting your team and follow a group of people around. Play medic or support and just hang back a bit, give them health and ammo and don't focus too much on shooting people. They will most likely know the maps better and you can then learn from them.

I felt a lot like you do, but it does get better. One thing I've done is jack the sensitivity up. For me at least it improved my performance. A lot has to do with you team though. Team work is critical to being successful. If you're in a squad of scouts chances are you will perform poorly compared to being in a squad of a combo of classes. I never join a squad without a medic if possible. If you don't know how to approach an objective stay in trenches or against cover. This will keep you from getting camped. Gas grenade are a great way to gauge if someone is hiding behind cover since you'll score points before they get there mask on. Incendiaries are good for that too, but you only get one and the area is smaller.

It's new kind of warfare boys, gotta be careful.

Bullets have travel time, so if someone is moving you should aim slightly ahead (how much obviously depends on how far away they are). You do have worse accuracy when moving, so if possible it's best to stop while you shoot someone unless they are also shooting at you. If you are getting suppressed (which will make the edge of the screen get darker) your shots will have some random spread too.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do about map awareness but to play a lot and learn the maps. But looking down at the minimap often is something you should make a habit.

A good way to learn the maps is to be more focused on supporting your team and follow a group of people around. Play medic or support and just hang back a bit, give them health and ammo and don't focus too much on shooting people. They will most likely know the maps better and you can then learn from them.

For the bolded, yeah I definitely have a hard time leading my shots, especially with the non-automatic rifles. I also try to stop moving when I shoot, but I'm so used to moving the left stick to compensate for my right stick's aim. Do you think that's enough to mess up the bullet trajectory?

As for map awareness, I've logged in close to 20 hours now, but the maps are just so large and I find myself still so unfamiliar with them. It's just so frustrating when I die not knowing how and from where.

I felt a lot like you do, but it does get better. One thing I've done is jack the sensitivity up. For me at least it improved my performance. A lot has to do with you team though. Team work is critical to being successful. If you're in a squad of scouts chances are you will perform poorly compared to being in a squad of a combo of classes. I never join a squad without a medic if possible. If you don't know how to approach an objective stay in trenches or against cover. This will keep you from getting camped. Gas grenade are a great way to gauge if someone is hiding behind cover since you'll score points before they get there mask on. Incendiaries are good for that too, but you only get one and the area is smaller.

It's new kind of warfare boys, gotta be careful.

I feel like I follow all of the advice you've mentioned here, but I still suck regardless. I tried increasing the sensitivity, but then it just got to a point where I would completely lose control. I try to stick to the trenches and cover too, but I either die from somebody above (when in the trench and not having enough time to look up) or I'm on the wrong side of cover. Sometimes I would die, and I would scratch my head wondering how the other guy could see me.

For the bolded, yeah I definitely have a hard time leading my shots, especially with the non-automatic rifles. I also try to stop moving when I shoot, but I'm so used to moving the left stick to compensate for my right stick's aim. Do you think that's enough to mess up the bullet trajectory?

As for map awareness, I've logged in close to 20 hours now, but the maps are just so large and I find myself still so unfamiliar with them. It's just so frustrating when I die not knowing how and from where.

I feel like I follow all of the advice you've mentioned here, but I still suck regardless. I tried increasing the sensitivity, but then it just got to a point where I would completely lose control. I try to stick to the trenches and cover too, but I either die from somebody above (when in the trench and not having enough time to look up) or I'm on the wrong side of cover. Sometimes I would die, and I would scratch my head wondering how the other guy could see me.

And the same thing would happen to me as well. Find the sweet spot with sensitivity. There's also an aiming averaging option. Not sure what it's called, but it is supposed to help with aiming. My point is a month ago I was where you were at regretting my purchase, but when I started playing operations I learned what gets me killed and what doesn't. Some maps just expect to die a lot (Argonne Forest. Amiens) there are a lot of places to hide in close quarters. Other maps like operations Iron Walls and Sinai Desert are a campers paradise and unless you're going to get into the camping game you have to keep moving. I don't want to see you get discouraged dude. Keep at it.

I have a 150 hours into it and realizing more and more that this is a very twitch-reflex close quarters oriented game and it's really starting to bother me. There's not a lot of time to slow down and think about things.

The maps that are open, are only open until you capture the caps nearest to the spawns and then it's quake style death match in the middle, nearly every damn time.

v1lla21

It's horrible when literally 75% of the team is sniping in TDM. I was never so pissed at snipers like I was in that game. They didn't even have the decency to use flares. I just don't understand people.
That's true.
Majority of snipers are trash in the game. They take forever to shoot and they rarely spot or use flares. Love countersniping the hell out of people in conquest. I mainly play medic but I'd say I'm pretty good at playing assault and sniper if the situation demands it.

The more I play, the worse the matchmaking gets. Oh lets put you on the losing team a majority of the time, I hope you can carry! Seriously, this mm is horrible now.

Donos

Spotting in BF games is like breathing. you just do all the time without thinking. Every time i switch to another shooter, i need a few minutes before i stop trying to spot all the enemies i see (SP/MP) ...

Starting to really dislike this game no one spots it's too hard to see the enemy and the guns kind of suck

I don't know if people aren't spotting or it's the change they made from previous BF (you can't spam it as much now), but spotting is definitely down in this game. It's a pain in the ass when you're a pilot and you're looking for targets and nobody is doing it.

And the same thing would happen to me as well. Find the sweet spot with sensitivity. There's also an aiming averaging option. Not sure what it's called, but it is supposed to help with aiming. My point is a month ago I was where you were at regretting my purchase, but when I started playing operations I learned what gets me killed and what doesn't. Some maps just expect to die a lot (Argonne Forest. Amiens) there are a lot of places to hide in close quarters. Other maps like operations Iron Walls and Sinai Desert are a campers paradise and unless you're going to get into the camping game you have to keep moving. I don't want to see you get discouraged dude. Keep at it.

I appreciate that, and yeah, I'll look into that aiming averaging.

The Dude

Nobody spots yet it feels like you're spotted 24/7. I'm sure everyone can relate to this.

Yep. It's one of the only things that I love and don't love so much, I because it seems someone is on you at all times.. Spotting is something where I do it of course and I know people spot me, but if it was gone I would be ok with it.

Now that my beautiful Martini-Henry was too harshly nerfed, I found that the Gewehr 95 Infantry suits my needs for being a more close-range (relatively) Scout. Well that and Lawrence of Arabia's SMLE. I still use the Martini sometimes, and I hope for a buff for it in the future.

It took me a little bit to adjust to the lack of sweet spot for the Gewehr 95, but it has some other great attributes that most of the other Scout rifles don't have. Now I love it.

I have to say I really like support now, and since the patch I’ve been playing it a majority of the time. The crossbow is decent enough, nothing too powerful, but it definitely fits my playstyle better than the mortar. I generally use the BAR or Huot. Overall, the BAR is the better weapon, but the Huot isn’t that bad. It has significantly less recoil than the BAR and a few more rounds per mag, but the damage difference is noticeable. I just like lmg the most. SMGs don’t have enough range, none of the semi-auto rifles really click with me, and I generally just avoid scout unless I’m using the Martini. Lmgs are like the perfect weapon archetype for me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Ok, so hit Rank 10 with Support and after struggling with this class, I finally found the best weapon for it. The Bar Storm. It only has 20 bullets in a clip so you have to reload after every kill but my god this thing is a laser. i love the way it shoots too. God I love the gunplay in this game. Also won like 7 games on Saturday and lost only 1 and ended up getting 1500-2000 SPM in each round. Got my overall up to 850 from 800 in just one day.

BUT, now i am playing as sniper and despite getting kills here and there, i am struggling once again lol. I dont know why i do this to myself.

Had the most frustrating defense last night on Monte Grappa. They got their second blimp on the second to last sector and destroyed every AA gun. you dont get tanks or planes in the last sector so we were basically sitting ducks. I had gotten him down to 26% the sector before he blew me up along with the AA guns, but he stayed at that health until we lost by just 4 tickets left. i couldnt believe we held the last sector for so long but my solar flares helped. i must have gotten dozens of assists as we whittled them down from 180 tickets to just four. The guy in the blimp ended up with 150 kills. he had like 20 when he got the blimp. We won the next map easily but only got 6k bonus because it ended so fast. My initial 25k points didnt get a bonus. it didnt even deserve a post match screen. They really needed to fix this in the december update. by the time the next update rolls around i wouldve hit level 10 with all of my classes. fucking useless.

I guess i could have used the k-bullets to slowly chirp away at his health but with just 5 damage it didnt make sense to waste my time on it instead of focusing on other enemies.

What situations are you guys finding the crossbow most useful?

I just keep it to take out tanks since Support's limpet charge is basically a suicide machine. It does around 15 damage but i can almost never get infantry kills with it.

you dont have to get those kills in TDM for the medal. pretty sure i got it in operations or conquest.
what system are you guys on?

PS4. PSN: TheNegativeDude

Lender

Why the fuck does this game still feels the need to disconnect me when I'm having a good operations game? It never fucking happens when I'm having a bad game. Fuck this shit. After all this time still these random DC's, inexcusable.

krpiper

How is the TTK (time to kill) I know battlefield has a longer TTK than say Titanfall or COD. I enjoy games where I have a fighting chance to fight back instead of "first guy to see the other wins "

I have been playing some battlefront and I generally like That TTK. How does it compare to Battlefield?

I just keep it to take out tanks since Support's limpet charge is basically a suicide machine. It does around 15 damage but i can almost never get infantry kills with it.

Do you use frag or HE? The HE is pretty bad. It's not too bad if you want a lot of points. The explosion is larger so you tag more people, but if you actually want to kill someone go with frag.

I'm sure it's been discussed but I didn't want to crawl through all 350+ pages to find it...

What's the deal with the ludicrous load times and how much of a pain in the ass it is to party join games? BF4 was much, much easier and better for this.

How is the TTK (time to kill) I know battlefield has a longer TTK than say Titanfall or COD. I enjoy games where I have a fighting chance to fight back instead of "first guy to see the other wins "

I have been playing some battlefront and I generally like That TTK. How does it compare to Battlefield?

I don't remember how long Battlefront's TTK is, but in Battlefield 1 it's longer than in Titanfall or COD. If you're being shot, you usually have the opportunity to dive into prone, take cover, and attempt to fire back. However, positioning is still 90% of the game, and if you surprise someone you can take them down really quickly.

Top Bottom