• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Capsov

I seriously love the Gewehr M.95 Infantry. I said it in this thread yesterday, but it's such an amazing gun in my opinion that a lot of people seem to overlook.

So good. Great for providing covering fire while teammates push. Dominates at a medium range. Combined with flares and the Mars pistol, you can be a really solid all around threat. Even if you only tag a guy, chances are someone else will get him and you will get an assist counted as a kill.

Cyborg

I have a question.

I just started the SP campaign and noticed something. Im at the mission where you need to find the parts for the tank. So I had killed almost everyone (did 3 checkpoin restarts without dying) and the last guy exploded and killed me so I restarted but all the enemies respawned while I wasnt at the beginning of the map.

Is this a glitch? When you die everything respawns and if you restart checkpoint before dying all stays the same. Seems a bit strange. Did anyone else notice this?

So good. Great for providing covering fire while teammates push. Dominates at a medium range. Combined with flares and the Mars pistol, you can be a really solid all around threat. Even if you only tag a guy, chances are someone else will get him and you will get an assist counted as a kill.
I go with the M1911, since I generally play Scout with a mixture of close-medium range tactics, so while I like the Mars, I like a pistol I can spam a bit more as well. Plus the Gewehr 95 fires fast enough that I've been able to two-shot people at close ranges before they can kill me a bunch of times.

And yeah, because of its damage multipliers, you can still do a lot of damage hitting an enemy anywhere in the body, (obviously it's a one-shot kill if you land a headshot of course.) resulting in a lot of clean-up kills on opponents that have been damaged enough to die from the first shot you land, or as you mentioned, it gets a lot of assist-counts as kill instances too. And I feel I can often follow-up my first shot fast enough to kill the enemy on the second one before they can get away or get to cover. (Obviously it's a one-shot kill if you land a headshot of course.)

It's an amazing gun.

Ravek

Banned
So all the shortcuts are already available for purchase already? Da fuq DICE. I know Christmas is right around the corner but damn the game isn't even that old yet.

The Dude

Man tailgunners are so fucked, so stupid. They just get in that seat and when someone is on me they just are there shooting away endlessly and I'm getting fucking destroyed. Just lame of Dice, always a step to far. I don't mind a nerf but not as much as they did

Man tailgunners are so fucked, so stupid. They just get in that seat and when someone is on me they just are there shooting away endlessly and I'm getting fucking destroyed. Just lame of Dice, always a step to far. I don't mind a nerf but not as much as they did

They should have kept the tailgunner powerful but removed the ability to switch between seats on the plane. Jumping between seats is way too "superhero" for my liking, and I don't like the fact that pilots could just hop into the gunner seat instead of maneuvering to friendly AA positions instead.

I'm also annoyed by pilots thinking that a teammate "stole" their gunner seat. It's a team-based game. You can't be a one-man army all the time.

The Dude

They should have kept the tailgunner powerful but removed the ability to switch between seats on the plane. Jumping between seats is way too "superhero" for my liking, and I don't like the fact that pilots could just hop into the gunner seat instead of maneuvering to friendly AA positions instead.

I'm also annoyed by pilots thinking that a teammate "stole" their gunner seat. It's a team-based game. You can't be a one-man army all the time.

I agree for the most part, but I mean there's so much far fetched stuff already switching seats isn't to much of a stretch imho. The thing is, they just needed to nerf it I'd say half of what they did.

Here's the thing, Im now at 35 stars for piloting. I'm still killing, but during a match some pilots engage and some don't... So maybe in my matches I can have 5 to 10 kills perhaps in air when someone is attacking me. Me being able to have a better chance to kill them I just think isn't that bad of a thing. Pre nerf, i could kill guys and they would still kill me regardless of me using the tailgun. It was never a guarantee thing if someone was skilled with their plane. Now it's just garbage, you can lay into a plane for 5 seconds it seems.

You have AAs shooting you, you have artillery trucks shooting you, being able to beat down a tailing pilot I just don't think is that game breaking overall because its not like you're gonna kill 40 tailing pilots a match.

Just sucks, was a shitty nerf

Meccs

Yeah, I think I'm done with Operations. I always join almost empty servers or games that are close to the end (losing side of course). Total waste of time.

The Dude

Yeah, I think I'm done with Operations. I always join almost empty servers or games that are close to the end (losing side of course). Total waste of time.

Takes one or two restarts, but I play nothing but fresh matches. They might be on first sector but that's about it

Meccs

Takes one or two restarts, but I play nothing but fresh matches. They might be on first sector but that's about it
Yeah but not for me. It's always the same. During the day or prime time. I'm on PC btw.
Also can someone explain to me when you are down to the last two sectors, you hold on to them and win. And then another round starts with the same 2 or 3 last sectors? What is this all about? I don't understand it.

Akai__

Every other moron is walking arround with a Reichsadler, a Svastika, a 88, a HH and a SS in their Emblem. I must have easily reported 5 guys today/yesterday and like 5 last week.

If you let people draw whatever they want, then at least have better systems to prevent these things or actually do something, when I report them. At least the nice fella with the Gamertag "R 2 the aped" from last week was immediately banned and the GT was changed.

Yeah, the lengthy quit process makes no sense at all. I seriously dont understand how DICE games always have these goofy interface/menu problems every single time.

Even initial MP loading times are reminding me of GTA Online loading times. It's crazy. The most annoying thing about the loading times is that they are also not synchronized. You'd assume that everybody will get a fair start into the game, but sometimes your friends load faster than you or vice versa. In some cases, you both load into the game and people have already captured 2-3 objectives.

Then you also have to deal with bugs like this: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AkaiGAF/video/24833194

Happened yesterday and I seriously thought my HDMI cable was broken...

Donos

Yeah but not for me. It's always the same. During the day or prime time. I'm on PC btw.
Also can someone explain to me when you are down to the last two sectors, you hold on to them and win. And then another round starts with the same 2 or 3 last sectors? What is this all about? I don't understand it.

Attackers have 3 "tries" to take the map. If you hold them of till the last sector but lose a round, they start right there but with all their people.

Orcus

Even initial MP loading times are reminding me of GTA Online loading times. It's crazy. The most annoying thing about the loading times is that they are also not synchronized. You'd assume that everybody will get a fair start into the game, but sometimes your friends load faster than you or vice versa. In some cases, you both load into the game and people have already captured 2-3 objectives.

Then you also have to deal with bugs like this: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/AkaiGAF/video/24833194

Long load times - Check
Desynced start times - Check
Weird new black screen environment/white noise bug - check

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
New map isn't bad, but it REALLY needs more vehicles and/or anti-tank options. It feels like it's supposed to be a vehicle map with how huge the layout is in terms of flag design (on Conquest) but it gets lopsided REALLY easy on 64 players depending on how the team(s) attempt to cap.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So all the shortcuts are already available for purchase already? Da fuq DICE. I know Christmas is right around the corner but damn the game isn't even that old yet.

No lie, I'll probably buy them. The ranking up to 10 for each of the classes is TORTURE. I'm not seeing if the vehicle pack counts the horse in it, but I'll defo buy that one for the plane ranking up (though I need to double-check and see if I need that, I probably only need tanks which doesn't count you in the gunner seats anymore AFAIK)

Kingbrave

Every other moron is walking arround with a Reichsadler, a Svastika, a 88, a HH and a SS in their Emblem. I must have easily reported 5 guys today/yesterday and like 5 last week.

If you let people draw whatever they want, then at least have better systems to prevent these things or actually do something, when I report them. At least the nice fella with the Gamertag "R 2 the aped" from last week was immediately banned and the GT was changed.

I've had that video error at least once a day for the last 3 days. I though something was wrong with my Xbox. Glad to see I'm not the only one with it.

The Dude

What happens when a blimp is down in like 2 seconds? Just have noticed it a few times, literally the match restarts and its down in about 5 seconds I'd say

Giants Shadow is kind of meh. Only played about 5 rounds of Conquest on it so maybe it'll grow on me

It does grow on you. After being a bit disappointed after the first few games, I really started to like it, and now it's one of my favorite maps. The fights between C and D are so good some times.

Just had the best game I've had in BF1 (not personally scorewise, but in terms of excitement). My team was trailing 660-760 on Ballroom Blitz, so we get the zeppelin rolling in, but it coincided with us capturing every point virtually simultaneously. We ended up with some serious back and forth scoring, and managed to tie around 900-900... and then it stayed virtually tied for the rest of the map. It was literally 990-990 while we were desperately trying to retake C to give us a 3-2 edge on cap points. I'm chucking nades out of the corner just hoping no one dies for the next couple seconds. We ended up winning 1000-997. The first half of the map was a complete wash, but that ending was 5 minutes of non-stop intensity; made it all worthwhile. I've only seen the behemoth turn around a map once, and that ended up being a completely unbelievable 400 point swing; this feels like how they're supposed to function.

I hate when people jump out of thier planes when they are about to get destroyed. Just take the L and let me get that kill since I won the dogfight. Sigh*

Giant's Shadow is abysmal

flags are basically in a straight line, frame rate is the worst it's ever been for me on ps4 and the British have a huge advantage

Vorheez

I seriously love the Gewehr M.95 Infantry. I said it in this thread yesterday, but it's such an amazing gun in my opinion that a lot of people seem to overlook.
Hm... I was just about to ask what everyone's thoughts were on the best aggressive scout weapon. I want to know which gun is worth sinking all the time into so I can master it. Scout is the last class I need to get to rank 10

Meccs

The zoom out, zoom in animation when you deploy is really starting to piss me off. Especially when you wait for a revive and you are ready to deploy since no one came. At least make it a lot quicker.
Also there should be an option to "auto skip when ready". Especially for Domination.

Ravek

Banned
It does grow on you. After being a bit disappointed after the first few games, I really started to like it, and now it's one of my favorite maps. The fights between C and D are so good some times.

That's an issue IMO. 90% of the match is spent and C and D. How is that good map design?
it's not

Tugatrix

Hm... I was just about to ask what everyone's thoughts were on the best aggressive scout weapon. I want to know which gun is worth sinking all the time into so I can master it. Scout is the last class I need to get to rank 10

Martiny henry used to be OP, now I just run with Enfield and I love it

Since the Martini-Henry was nerfed too harshly, and that was previously my favorite more aggressive Scout gun, now I personally prefer the Gewehr M.95 infantry for a more aggressive Scout style of play. It's also good enough to take out people at some pretty decent ranges as well. It has a lot of flexibility and versatility too. I never even really gave the gun much of a chance until after the Martini-Henry was nerfed, and I'm now very glad I did.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This garbage UI is unbearable. Why do I have a loading screen when Quitting from the Post Game Lobby? Why is it faster to restart the game then waiting for the Quit process?

If only they could patch in the BF3 UI into this game. Much better than this crap.

Yeah, the lengthy quit process makes no sense at all. I seriously dont understand how DICE games always have these goofy interface/menu problems every single time.
Frostbite constraint probably, can't quit while a map is loading which is why the "Quit" window is so short. Been like this for all frostbite games. It's just that now in BF1 you have functional menu while actual map loading takes place whereas before it was a non-interactive loading screen, thus leading to an expectation that you should be able to back out of it.

Orcus

I hate when people jump out of thier planes when they are about to get destroyed. Just take the L and let me get that kill since I won the dogfight. Sigh*
I don't mind when they are over a populated part of the map, they still have a chance to contribute and gain some tickets for their team. The people who do it out of bounds are just salty dicks.

Frostbite constraint probably, can't quit while a map is loading which is why the "Quit" window is so short. Been like this for all frostbite games. It's just that now in BF1 you have functional menu while actual map loading takes place whereas before it was a non-interactive loading screen, thus leading to an expectation that you should be able to back out of it.

I suppose this could be the cause. Functional is not the word i would use for the menus while the new map is loading though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am trying to get my Scout to rank 10 and decided to give Gweher 95 infantry a chance and nope, it just didnt feel right. I do like the Carbine though. What are the zero distance stats on the sniper rifles? What does changing the zero distance do? Keep in mind, i am relatively new to Battlefield.

Last night, spent three battalions attacking Monte Grappa. Some of the worst teammates ever. we got B easily and spent 30 minutes trying to get A. They had just one tank sitting in the underpass on A and we couldnt take it out. 35k points and 51 kills as a sniper and the next guy behind me was at 22k points. the rest were under 15k. This round last nearly an hour.

I just dont get it. There are no medics who heal me or revive me, no support guys who drop ammo despite me continuously begging for them, no snipers who mark and drop flares besides me ( i swear i didnt know about the flares for the first 60 hours playing this game before i switched to the sniper class because no one used them), no assault guys who take out one fucking tank sitting duck on A. People using stupid little tanks getting blown the fuck out in seconds instead of heavy tanks or landships. Just what the hell are people playing as? even with the blimp, we couldnt get past the 4th sector.

Redders

That's an issue IMO. 90% of the match is spent and C and D. How is that good map design?
it's not

It's definitely an issue as at the other flags all you came across was an occasional lone person if you went to capture a different flag, not sure what they could do to change it though.

It's pretty fun trying to force the other team out of the area and then holding it whilst they are trying to retake in some of the games I played last night.

Ravek

Banned
It's definitely an issue as at the other flags all you came across was an occasional lone person if you went to capture a different flag, not sure what they could do to change it though.

It's pretty fun trying to force the other team out of the area and then holding it whilst they are trying to retake in some of the games I played last night.

They can't really fix it now unless they completely redo the map which they probably won't.

Going forward, they just need to stop making relatively straight line positioned objectives and stop having these giant maps with large wide open spaces. When I go into a conquest game and I see that ,no shit, 50% of the players are scout class that's an issue that THEY created. I get that part of the problem is that sniping in this game is easier than past BF games and that other classes
medic
suck and that that is contributing the sniper filled matches. However, it's also because the maps cater a lot to the scout class.

Redders

They can't really fix it now unless they completely redo the map which they probably won't.

Going forward, they just need to stop making relatively straight line positioned objectives and stop having these giant maps with large wide open spaces. When I go into a conquest game and I see that ,no shit, 50% of the players are scout class that's an issue that THEY created. I get that part of the problem is that sniping in this game is easier than past BF games and that other classes
medic
suck and that that is contributing the sniper filled matches. However, it's also because the maps cater a lot to the scout class.

True, is an issue in operations also with a similar number being scouts in that mode. Playing as a party of 8 it doesn't really affect us as much as if you are solo. Bit annoying that we will have to wait until March to see if they can make a set of maps that don't cater to snipers though.

Don't diss my medic class! Just reached 3.1 million score in it haha.

Side note, just saw Holiday update War pigeons with only Pistols and explosives sounds brilliant.

JDB

Banned
I still hope one day DICE will move away from the entire Premium model. Free maps that are available to everyone is the way to go. Doubt that'll happen any time soon, though.

Lemnisc8

TL;DR fighter planes are awersome

I've always been one of those players that is reasonable on foot, average in a tank, but excelling somewhere in the sky (I actually sucked in the planes but the helicopters were my bag in bf4), so I was really nervous about flying in this one.

I spent all my time getting medic, support, scout and assault to 10, then worked on the tanker a little and am now around tank 4-5 before even getting in a plane. I was apprehensive about it because I didn't 'get' the jet; too much lock-on and spam and I just couldn't cope.

I was wrong to wait. I'm not a bomber though, too slow and cumbersome although still pretty devastating, it doesn't fit with my play style. Attack plane? Yeah, I loved it. Loved the combat but found fighters difficult to out turn and relied on switching to tail gunner to take them out (I'll add at this point that I agree with dude on almost all his points about the tail gun, it's just gone a little too far). I used the standard lmg>bombs>flare version mostly although found the tank hunter fun, but less effective than if I was on foot so a bit of a waste.

However the single seat fighter planes are definitely where I excel. If the enemy is constantly spawning planes I will definitely go with the bomber destroyer variant. Noticed iRawr also mention this variant, and I feel almost unkillable in it, and the speed boost means you can get away from most other attack planes on your tail (which is a godsend since no tail gun).

The rockets pack a serious punch and have learnt that it's better to keep off the back of bombers and come in from its sides where it's vulnerable. If you get good hits on your rockets (which are tricky to use but rewarding when you get it right), you can sometimes finish them off in the one run with your gun for an easy triple.

Against attack planes, I'll test the water to check for a tail gunner, if not, I'll get in close, REAL close, and let rip. They're very dead shortly after that. Against good pilots and gunners it becomes more of a challenge but with the greater weaponry, superior agility and a speed boost on top of that to get away in a hurry and they tend not to last more than one or two runs from different angles.

The only real threat is another attack plane of the same variant, but so far I've always managed to get away in this plane either by finding friendly AA or various fancy flying to make them crash or make a mistake so I can get out of their sight line and away from them. I have been shot down and I have made mistakes while learning the nuances so I'm not infallible but if I'm boots on the ground and I get bombed EVER then I'm coming up there to get my revenge.

Other than that, when the enemy are sick of being shot down it usually turns into an AA spam-fest and it can get boring when there's nothing to shoot down, especially taking into account that you have other teammates also looking to shoot down enemy planes as well, it can get boring in the plane as it's not so effective on infantry.

Also... for people that bail out of planes, please don't. It sucks, and I'm going to try and ram you. I've found this following tactic to work well against any pilot who doesn't use first person to look behind: taking a chunk of health off with the gun (50% will do, we don't want to do too much damage) before allowing them to think they have lost you (it's better to get behind in underneath in case a pilot does look behind).

Most pilots will fly crazy for a bit waiting to take damage, do NOT take the opportunity yet. Allow the pilot the false sense of relief as he will then take the opportunity to try and repair while flying straight or on a fixed curve - get in there close and unload all rockets right on his/her tail for an instant kill.

Top Bottom