• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

Lemnisc8

I don't remember how long Battlefront's TTK is, but in Battlefield 1 it's longer than in Titanfall or COD. If you're being shot, you usually have the opportunity to dive into prone, take cover, and attempt to fire back. However, positioning is still 90% of the game, and if you surprise someone you can take them down really quickly.

Have to agree with the above; if you're tagged from behind by even a half decent player, you're probably going to die unless you can find cover. Even if you turn and shoot the ttk is too low and you'll probably die while they have a tiny bit of health left.

Ttk may be longer than cod, but it's not long enough for those types of gunfights imho, and while you can sometimes pull off the kill or escape to cover, 90% of the time it's bye bye.

Mahonay

Banned
Post patch the game has been feeling pretty good. Balance is really getting there. Although it drives me nuts that the revive glitch is somehow still a thing. And I guess the new map is available for all of us non-Premium players tomorrow. Not expecting much, from what I've seen the map uses a lot of reused assets.

Also I finally finished work on my latest Battlefield video. Footage collected from my time on PS4 since BF1 launched. Lots of squad play with GAF and others. Took me a couple weeks to put this together.
Battlefield 1 - BACK IN TIME

Edit: If the video is blocked in your region use this---> http://tubeunblock.org/watch?v=BH7qXNN92Po

Klocker

Nobody spots yet it feels like you're spotted 24/7. I'm sure everyone can relate to this.

it would be better if like in other games the enemy stood out against the terrain a bit these enemies are completely invisible in many cases and even in CQB you're not sure who is friend or foe... add a little (unrealistic) glow to the enemy for Christ sake..

Not gonna kill immersion and make it more about positioning and shooting skill than, surprise- there is an enemy 5 feet in front of you shooting you in the face

I'm sure it's been discussed but I didn't want to crawl through all 350+ pages to find it...

What's the deal with the ludicrous load times and how much of a pain in the ass it is to party join games? BF4 was much, much easier and better for this.

This. Trying to play for the first time after installing the trial from Access and I'm constantly in loading. The first game I get into was a black screen... I finally got in a game but damn was that long!

tootsi666

Have to agree with the above; if you're tagged from behind by even a half decent player, you're probably going to die unless you can find cover. Even if you turn and shoot the ttk is too low and you'll probably die while they have a tiny bit of health left.

Ttk may be longer than cod, but it's not long enough for those types of gunfights imho, and while you can sometimes pull off the kill or escape to cover, 90% of the time it's bye bye.
I think this depends on range and weapons used a lot. ADAD spam can save you from slower rifles even with no cover available.
it would be better if like in other games the enemy stood out against the terrain a bit these enemies are completely invisible in many cases and even in CQB you're not sure who is friend or foe... add a little (unrealistic) glow to the enemy for Christ sake..

Not gonna kill immersion and make it more about positioning and shooting skill than, surprise- there is an enemy 5 feet in front of you shooting you in the face
Never had an issue with not noticing enemies. Even in HC gamemodes

This. Trying to play for the first time after installing the trial from Access and I'm constantly in loading. The first game I get into was a black screen... I finally got in a game but damn was that long!

I hardly play Operations anymore because of the insane load times.

Start Battlefield 1
Load the main menu ("Personalizing the experience for you")
Navigate to Operations (enjoy the various menu animations that slow down the UI a bit)
Load the Operation map
Load the Operations video
Black screen
Skip the battle instructions
Be placed on losing team with <5 minutes left

I love the game but the load times are loooooong.

Orcus

I hardly play Operations anymore because of the insane load times.

Start Battlefield 1
Load the main menu ("Personalizing the experience for you")
Navigate to Operations (enjoy the various menu animations that slow down the UI a bit)
Load the Operation map
Load the Operations video
Black screen
Skip the battle instructions
Be placed on losing team with <5 minutes left

I love the game but the load times are loooooong.
I would play Operations a lot more if it wasn't for this exact scenario. You're probability of getting placed in the losing team is really high since that's the team people usually quit from. In Operations there is no second round to balance out the teams. You just keep repeating this scenario like groundhog day, over and over again. I love the mode, but pretty much only choose to play it with a squad, unless I need a reminder of why I don't like the operation matchmaking.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I would play Operations a lot more if it wasn't for this exact scenario. You're probability of getting placed in the losing team is really high since that's the team people usually quit from. In Operations there is no second round to balance out the teams. You just keep repeating this scenario like groundhog day, over and over again. I love the mode, but pretty much only choose to play it with a squad, unless I need a reminder of why I don't like the operation matchmaking.
I would recommend you stick with it. i almost exclusively play operations now and only get put on losing teams once every 5 games or so.

I used to play domination but there is a 3-5 minute wait between every 5-10 minute round and for that alone the hour long operation matches are a lot better at making you play more than wait.

VariantX

Thank you for linking this. Going to demand a shooting range for this game. Its a gigantic step back from BF4 to launch without one despite avoiding all the launch issues of the previous game that threw the last game's rep into the gutter for some months. I don't touch planes in this game because I feel like I'm robbing my team of a resource due to my inability to fly them well.

Holy shit, so after sucking so much yesterday and getting frustrated with the game, something clicked today, and I've been on a tear. I've been playing support class non-stop, and I've gotten a hang of the benet mercie storm. I increased my sensitivity too, and it's helped a ton. The best part is I think I've gotten much better about approaching objective targets, and it gets to a point where I'm the one who gets a jump on the enemies.

Then again, maybe I've been playing against people who aren't very good either. Either way, this game is fun.

Giant's Shadow is a terrible Conquest map but I actually think it would be a really solid Operations map, especially since 90% of the map is unused in Conquest.

Wonder if it'll be added to the Operations rotation at any point.

Klocker

Can't even get a rhythm going in this game. People spawning on from out of nowhere all over the map taking you out just as you are about to make a move to flank someone or do anything. Ttk is way too low in this game

Orcus

I would recommend you stick with it. i almost exclusively play operations now and only get put on losing teams once every 5 games or so.
I wish it was working for me lately, but I played with about 5 horri-bad teams this weekend, one OK team where we barely held of the attackers on the second to last stage, and one OP team where we rolled them on attack only using one battalion.

That one good team I was on this weekend felt like most of the games I get matchmade into, except on the other side. Somewhere along the way they lost players because it started full, and by the end of the last map they were down 5. I just have a better experience playing solo in Conquest, probably because there is at least some form of team balancing occuring there between maps, where Operations just had the initial matchmaking process. It's sad, because I love the mode, and when I play in a full party you can really make a difference.

What is the worst gun in the game?

The Kolibri Pistol.

hqdefault.jpg

It does like 2 damage per shot lol. It's just meant to be funny though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Suez is the one map in my experience where there's never a close game. I played a match on Mount Grappa (a map I'm not a fan of) with some Gaffers that ended at 1000-999. Had similar experiences on other maps.

In Suez you're either kicking ass or getting your ass kicked.

New player here. Just sent a request to the gaf community. Anyone want to team up with a new guy? Mainly playing operations and domination. Hated battlefield 3/4/hardline but I fucking love this for some reason.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
+25k, 35-5, 11 captures, and we still lost. This is why I stopped caring about winning so much. It's completely out of my control.

Were you playing with a squad that was communicating via mic? One really good squad with communication makes a huge difference.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've unlocked the Martini–Henry for the first time and I don't understand what context it would be used over the SMLE? It just seems like an SMLE only worse.

JDB

Banned
I've unlocked the Martini–Henry for the first time and I don't understand what context it would be used over the SMLE? It just seems like an SMLE only worse.
It got nerfed in the last patch. From what I remember it didn't use proper damage multipliers meaning that it did more damage than it was supposed to.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Every Server I try to join on PC says: "Server has expired". This game sometimes.... I just wanna play!

Yeah, getting that now myself.

Speaking of, last two servers I've been on (Suez and Sinai) had these uber explosions go off. Huge explosions on land erupting into the sky. I have no idea what gear or vehicle causes these?

I've unlocked the Martini&#8211;Henry for the first time and I don't understand what context it would be used over the SMLE? It just seems like an SMLE only worse.

They changed the damage model of it last patch. Before if a target was between 30m and 80m it was a OHK regardless on where you hit them. Now that only applies if you hit them in the chest or head. The problem now is a lot of times you aim at the chest and their arms will block the shot and this no longer a OHK.

The SMLE has similar OHK range 40m to 75m, so there really is no reason to use the MH.

Tugatrix

They changed the damage model of it last patch. Before if a target was between 30m and 80m it was a OHK regardless on where you hit them. Now that only applies if you hit them in the chest or head. The problem now is a lot of times you aim at the chest and their arms will block the shot and this no longer a OHK.

The SMLE has similar OHK range 40m to 75m, so there really is no reason to use the MH.

yep I was exited to use the MH but now I'm dissapointed with the gun, it's not OP like in the beginning

EatChildren

Yeah, just had a decent run with it. I can see the reason for balance rather than universal OHK at designated ranges. But I don't feel the slightly increased range makes up for the benefits of the SMLE faster firing rate and larger clip. It's just more cumbersome.

Does sound meaty though.

krpiper

Played a few games of conquest as a medic. I suck mostly at FPSs but I like how still healing and capturing I feel like I make a difference in the game still. I also really like the longer TTK vs say COD. Cmon sale!

I hear you guys about the Operations matchmaking. At the same time, I just played a round of 64 player Operations that was just incredible. I adore that mode.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
God i love this game sometimes. I spent nearly three hours yesterday chipping away at tanks and behemoths with my kbullets and light ant-tank grenades and didnt get a single kill. either they would take me out before i could finish them off or my teammate would get the kill.

on the very last round of the night at the very end of the round, a tank came out of nowhere and my decision to always carry light anti-tank grenades finally paid off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDIncxMl6c

I was not expecting five of them to be in one landship lol. Also i love how the one guy who had the sense to get out of the tank before it exploded got thrown by the explosion not once but twice upon the second explosion. the physics in this game are so awesome.

Oh and I was doing some live tracking with BattlefieldStattracker yesterday and found that Operation wins do give you a victory bonus for every map. Since no match bonus pops up and since there was no post match screen at the end of the first operation map, i thought i havent been getting any victory bonuses. But the stat track clearly showed a 2.0x-2.3x bonus for every round in the Fao Fortress, Suez Canal along with the last map.

Using the Russian sniper right now to get those quick two shot kills but i lose pretty much every 1v1 fight. i am so slow at taking out my pistol. Still ended up at the top of the scoreboard in nearly every round thanks to Tanks and throwing myself in the capture zones. love how the game rewards you for playing the objective.

I seriously love the Gewehr M.95 Infantry. I said it in this thread yesterday, but it's such an amazing gun in my opinion that a lot of people seem to overlook.

Akai__

This garbage UI is unbearable. Why do I have a loading screen when Quitting from the Post Game Lobby? Why is it faster to restart the game then waiting for the Quit process?

If only they could patch in the BF3 UI into this game. Much better than this crap.

This garbage UI is unbearable. Why do I have a loading screen when Quitting from the Post Game Lobby? Why is it faster to restart the game then waiting for the Quit process?

If only they could patch in the BF3 UI into this game. Much better than this crap.

Yeah, the lengthy quit process makes no sense at all. I seriously dont understand how DICE games always have these goofy interface/menu problems every single time.

MR4001

This new Giant's Shadow doesn't seem to be too much to write home about. Far too much running about. Did have some good results playing with the G98 Infantry on it, though - on other maps I seem to be too much of an aggressive Scout. A shame there will be no Official servers with this map and Standard Infantry Rifles turned on.

Top Bottom