• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

^ I cant for the life of me fly planes in BF games. It makes no sense to aim and turn using the same freaking analog stick. whats wrong with offering the same control scheme as the Battlefront games? those are perfect and simple controls.

You can't even freely roll in the DICE Battlefront game lol, they're shit

but flying controls have like 4 different options, mess around with them. I don't use the default.

First time playing in about two weeks. I still love this game, but damn it really needs more. We still have weeks until the French DLC. I can see myself playing a few matches a week, but I'm 80 with everything at level 10, so there is nothing for me to really work on. I like playing, but I also like progression and there isn't any atm.

ThisOne

First time playing in about two weeks. I still love this game, but damn it really needs more. We still have weeks until the French DLC. I can see myself playing a few matches a week, but I'm 80 with everything at level 10, so there is nothing for me to really work on. I like playing, but I also like progression and there isn't any atm.
Yep, I'm really wanting new content too. The BF4 launch was a cluster fuck but they had two expansions out already at this point.

Yep, I'm really wanting new content too. The BF4 launch was a cluster fuck but they had two expansions out already at this point.

I think this is one of the reasons Dice didn't want to take on battlefront. They said they didnt have the time and apparently, this was true. The DLC is now suffering because of it.

For ~27 bucks, the collectors edition is pretty damn nice.
2017-01-17.jpg

Top weapons and vehicles. The Hellriegel is just too good; I do bust out the Model 10-A Hunter when things are getting rough. The sword is op as fuck though, it does 80 damage. So you just have to tag someone and melee. The BAR is actually my new favorite. When it comes to vehicles I love the Flanker too much.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Artillery trucks are bullshit. some guy on sinai desert held us off for 3 fucking battalions after we beat them on the first try in the first two maps. he went 64-4 and just sat back, behind his fucking train and then on top of the mountain, then behind the houses and finally at C.

We almost won the game on our second battalion and then once we got the train on the last battalion, he stayed behind the dunes, took out the train all by himself and then just stayed at C and picked us off trying to get there. by the time i finally made it to C and took him out we had zero tickets left.

This whole self healing mechanic is literally the worst thing about BF1. It makes no sense. it encourages camping and the artillery trucks are the worst because they take out infantry in one hit and can head glitch. just absolutely ridiculous.

I also dont understand why they get TWO fucking trains on defending. One on suez and the other on Sinai. We lost so many guys just trying to take out those damn trains. getting sniped on the way to the train. getting bombarded by the train. Sinai especially needs a redesign on operations. either take out those mountains on the side altogether or have some fucking cover as you run to the objective.

I ended up with like 80 kills and somehow managed to avoid getting killed by him a lot, but that was only good for a 609 SPM. The fucking game decided that getting to the last sector after winning the first two maps is a major defeat. how does that even work?

Just unlocked the Martini, and I pretty much suck with it. I always get hit markers, and since it's so slow to reload, I usually lose gun fights. I also find it hard to aim with the sight at long distances, more so than the iron sights for the SMLE. Kinda bummed, I was hyped to get it, and I played only as scout for awhile to get to level 10, but I probably will just go back to using the SMLE Infantry and Carbine.

On an unrelated note, I noticed something. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be racist or anything, but why are so many of the German skins black guys? The recon, cav, and I think support are all black. I would say that like 99% of Germany's army at the time consisted of white men, so why is half of it black in BF1? I'm aware that Germany had African colonies at the time, but they didn't make up half, or even a quarter of the army. Does this seem a little bit weird to other people? It's not a big deal or anything, I just found it odd.

Heroman

Banned
Just unlocked the Martini, and I pretty much suck with it. I always get hit markers, and since it's so slow to reload, I usually lose gun fights. I also find it hard to aim with the sight at long distances, more so than the iron sights for the SMLE. Kinda bummed, I was hyped to get it, and I played only as scout for awhile to get to level 10, but I probably will just go back to using the SMLE Infantry and Carbine.

On an unrelated note, I noticed something. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be racist or anything, but why are so many of the German skins black guys? The recon, cav, and I think support are all black. I would say that like 99% of Germany's army at the time consisted of white men, so why is half of it black in BF1? I'm aware that Germany had African colonies at the time, but they didn't make up half, or even a quarter of the army. Does this seem a little bit weird to other people? It's not a big deal or anything, I just found it odd.
Only recon is.

Only recon is.

Looking at pictures of the support online, yea he seems to be white. Really dark skin tone, that may have thrown me off haha.

I could have sworn the German cav was also black though, but maybe it was another case of dark skin tone. Oh well.

Also, dang at everyone saying they have a far lower win percentage in BF1 than BF4. I went from a 43% win percentage in BF4 to a 62% in BF1.

Tried to play this again last night, it's fun but has some issues for me.

The one thing that bugs me is the same thing that bugged me before. I wish combat between types of combatents was more isolated or bidirectional, like, as an infantry, I wish I wasn't being harassed by things outside of that which I can kill, planes, blimps etc.

In one of my matches I went 42-8, but 6 deaths were the result of one guy in a plane, who finished the match on 70-10 or something like that. He was obviously very good, but there was no way I could do anything but occasionally die to him without switching role.

I feel as though the interactions should be bidirectional, and honestly feel that this is better in Battlefront. What I mean is, in a plane he gets to play his aerial game (vs other pilots) they shoot him, he shoots them, it's bidirectional interaction, but he also gets to influence the infantry game in a manner that is unidirectional.

Those who use a vehicle / mounted gun can attain a bidirectional interaction with the aerial game, at the cost of their ground game, but this is boring. He gets to shoot at us on the ground for the entire game, without having to restrict himself to a stationary vehicle with one attack.

Battlefront does this much better, because all of the infantry can be equipped with anti-air items as a secondary. Additionally, these anti-air items are not class specific, so you can retain your desired role, and versatility, while being able to influence the game in the way that you want. It grants agency and makes the game feel fairer.

Of course, it's easy to tell me to switch class, sit on an anti-air, fly a plane, and that's the answer, it's balanced because both teams have the same tools as their disposal, and I agree, they do, the game is balanced in that regard (outside modes with asynchronous objectives and resources), but that really misses the point. Why can certain roles exert far greater influence than others? The situation someone complained about above with the artillary is a similar issue, why does that player get to influence the infantry game so heavily, yet the infantry don't have any influence on what he's doing?

Not to say Battlefront is a better game, I think it's worse overall but that doesn't mean it's not without merit. If they ever make a Battlefield 2043 then I hope they use the creative agency afforded by the futuristic setting to incorporate more flexible interaction between the various battlefield roles. I understand why an infantry can't carry a portable anti-air device in Battlefield 1 yet that doesn't mean I enjoy that aspect of the games design.

No Love

Banned
Dice's content pipeline is screwy these days. You could see it in Battlefront 2015, and you can see it continue here.

I agree. You can really see the effects of EA overworking them on too many projects if you compare how much good DLC they used to make.

Battlefield 1 reminds me a lot of Battlefield 1943, and also reminds me how much potentially amazing DLC they squandered.

I think the main problem with artillery trucks isn't necessarily the trucks themselves but the fact that in Operations there's huge swaths of territory that enemies can't go in, so they can just sit back with zero chance of getting killed. They're fine in Conquest since you can run up on them, they just need to be removed from Operations tbh.

I don't really see the issue with planes though. Imo they're more balanced than Battlefront, where (at least back when I played) every match as the Empire in Supremacy and Walker ended with you just getting spawnkilled by fighters all day because of how horrible the AA was.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Is the spotting supposed to be this janky?
Like I see units moving across the screen, hit the spot button, follow them with the cursor and nothing happens while I internally scream that there are enemies.

Other times it only takes 1x to spot.
I hate how inconsistent it is.

I've been using spotting a lot more recently whether I'm on foot or in a vehicle. If I'm running across the map I'll even spot planes.

I have noticed it's inconsistent though because I'll press RB on the XB1 controller and I'm directly pointing at the plane or target and sometimes it doesn't register even if I'm pointing directly at the target.

I use it a ton though when I'm on the artillery batteries on Empire's Edge. I love just taking a boat across the map to Point A right by enemy spawn.

I'll lay mines in case any tanks come by and lock myself in the battery room and just fire away, and constantly press RB (spotting button) to look for enemies even if I can't see them. In a 64 player game you'll find someone quick.

They're almost always huddled at Point C in the middle of the map.

1337 snipers.

Alright, so I've figured out AT Mines:

- 3 AT mines will destroy any tank in the game. Plunking them down on top of each other guarantees a kill if they're driven over.

- Each player can only have three mines out at a time. More than that and they'll start despawning.

- They never despawn for any other reason. You can switch away from mines, switch classes, whatever, they'll stay. They even stay through Operations rounds.

The best strategy seems to be to place them down in places tanks go commonly (the exit to that tunnel in Monte Grappa, for example), and then switch them off for dynamite or what have you.

I agree. You can really see the effects of EA overworking them on too many projects if you compare how much good DLC they used to make.

Battlefield 1 reminds me a lot of Battlefield 1943, and also reminds me how much potentially amazing DLC they squandered.

such as shame

1943 was ripe for amazing DLC maps

Im worried about the DLC for 1. I didnt like the DLC for battefront at all.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

The one thing that bugs me is the same thing that bugged me before. I wish combat between types of combatents was more isolated or bidirectional, like, as an infantry, I wish I wasn't being harassed by things outside of that which I can kill, planes, blimps etc.

In one of my matches I went 42-8, but 6 deaths were the result of one guy in a plane, who finished the match on 70-10 or something like that. He was obviously very good, but there was no way I could do anything but occasionally die to him without switching role.

I feel as though the interactions should be bidirectional, and honestly feel that this is better in Battlefront. What I mean is, in a plane he gets to play his aerial game (vs other pilots) they shoot him, he shoots them, it's bidirectional interaction, but he also gets to influence the infantry game in a manner that is unidirectional.

Those who use a vehicle / mounted gun can attain a bidirectional interaction with the aerial game, at the cost of their ground game, but this is boring. He gets to shoot at us on the ground for the entire game, without having to restrict himself to a stationary vehicle with one attack.

Battlefront does this much better, because all of the infantry can be equipped with anti-air items as a secondary. Additionally, these anti-air items are not class specific, so you can retain your desired role, and versatility, while being able to influence the game in the way that you want. It grants agency and makes the game feel fairer.

Of course, it's easy to tell me to switch class, sit on an anti-air, fly a plane, and that's the answer, it's balanced because both teams have the same tools as their disposal, and I agree, they do, the game is balanced in that regard (outside modes with asynchronous objectives and resources), but that really misses the point. Why can certain roles exert far greater influence than others? The situation someone complained about above with the artillary is a similar issue, why does that player get to influence the infantry game so heavily, yet the infantry don't have any influence on what he's doing?

Not to say Battlefront is a better game, I think it's worse overall but that doesn't mean it's not without merit. If they ever make a Battlefield 2043 then I hope they use the creative agency afforded by the futuristic setting to incorporate more flexible interaction between the various battlefield roles. I understand why an infantry can't carry a portable anti-air device in Battlefield 1 yet that doesn't mean I enjoy that aspect of the games design.

it's annoying to get killed by planes. last night i was the only one in my team successfully getting to the A flag without getting killed on the way there. and yet 3 out of the 10 times i got there i was killed by this stupid plane after i had cleared out the enemy team. you just have to get used to it i am afraid.

Thats exactly WHY i play BF. The battles are a mix of everything. Its the beauty of the game. If you want more focused, you should play another gametype than conquest or play another game.

I dont want a copy of battlefront. Hated that game.

Thats exactly WHY i play BF. The battles are a mix of everything. Its the beauty of the game. If you want more focused, you should play another gametype than conquest or play another game.

I dont want a copy of battlefront. Hated that game.

It's not the 'mix of everything' I dislike. In previous battlefield games infantry has a bidrectional interaction with aircraft through personal anti-air, in this game they don't, that's what I don't like.

That doesn't mean I don't like the game though, but I do like the fact that in Battlefront or Battlefield 4, I can shoot at the guy that's been bombing my squad to hell, whereas here I have to switch role (use some sort of vehicle).

It's not the 'mix of everything' I dislike. In previous battlefield games infantry has a bidrectional interaction with aircraft through personal anti-air, in this game they don't, that's what I don't like.

That doesn't mean I don't like the game though, but I do like the fact that in Battlefront or Battlefield 4, I can shoot at the guy that's been bombing my squad to hell, whereas here I have to switch role (use some sort of vehicle).

That happened a lot more in battlefield 4 than it ever did to me in battlefield 1. Choppers would rape players on the ground practically the whole game every game. In this game it's Hardly ever happened.

That happened a lot more in battlefield 4 than it ever did to me in battlefield 1. Choppers would rape players on the ground practically the whole game every game. In this game it's Hardly ever happened.

Yeah. I mean it was worse in BF1 because of choppers but it's just the way that the infantry can more reliably return fire that I like.

Titanfall is probably the best example of how I like vehicle interaction. Titan's are powerful, useful but pilots (infantry) have tools to interact with them. It doesn't ever feel like you're being shot at with nothing to answer back with.

It's generally harder to shoot down planes in BF1, but their effectiveness against ground units is pretty limited when compared to Battlefront and the other Battlefield games. And I prefer that to being shredded by helicopters all day.

Yeah. I mean it was worse in BF1 because of choppers but it's just the way that the infantry can more reliably return fire that I like.

Titanfall is probably the best example of how I like vehicle interaction. Titan's are powerful, useful but pilots (infantry) have tools to interact with them. It doesn't ever feel like you're being shot at with nothing to answer back with.

You keep mentioning games that I don't enjoy, I don't want battlefront and I don't want titanfall I want battlefield. On the battlefield you're not supposed to be able to face off against anything and survive, that's not how Battlefield or world war 1 works.

That's why theres squads, that's why people need to pick a specific class and play it as a team. What you're describing is exactly the reason I don't play those games over battlefield.

It just seems to me like you don't like what battlefield is

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks like we're getting something along the lines of the Char 2C.

20152310154318.jpg

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's hilarious how any time someone gets in a vehicle of any kind they immediately have to start shooting. It doesn't matter where, just let it rip lol. I do it all the time too

I wonder how a behemoth like that would work. I can't see DICE letting that tank just roll over every building. I wonder if its movement will be restricted through the environment and map design. Like there are only a few paths through the map it could take or something.

This game has some strange glitches, I got a sawed-off Russian 1895.

32396387876_7563db3090_o.gif

Another time I reloaded my saber with a pistol magazine, he but the mag right in to the handle of the sword.

I wonder how a behemoth like that would work. I can't see DICE letting that tank just roll over every building. I wonder if its movement will be restricted through the environment and map design. Like there are only a few paths through the map it could take or something.
I am thinking it will be a tank with a lot of hp.

TBiddy

So, I just bought BF1 and figured I'd have some fun today. Alas, I've been unable to get it to work. First time around, it was stuck on the loading screen, right after showing the intro. Then I tried repairing in Origin, and I was able to progress to the main menu.. only to see it getting stuck at the next loading screen (after starting the campaign).

I'm really at a loss here. I've updated drivers, tried deleting the settings (after disabling cloud save in Origin), re-repairing the game etc.

I'm running Windows 10 on an i5-2500k, 8 GB ram and a R9 380. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I know my computer isn't the fastest around, but surely it doesn't take 10 minutes to load the first campaign :/

edit: Tried repairing again, and suddenly it found 500 MB worth of files, that needed to be redownloaded. I'll try and report back.

I wish the offense would get an extra battalion for maps like Argonne. And especially Oil of Empires, the only games that go to the third map are complete rolls.

Top Bottom