• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 |OT| Make War Great Again

I'm only just discovering how fun it is to play aggressive recon in this game. Nothing better than running into enemy lines, popping a flare, and then picking all those red dots off. And my god are headshots satisfying...

What's the best rifle for aggressive play? Currently using the M95 Gewehr.

I love st quentin's scar. I always get massive scores when playing as a sniper.

Me too, I get sooo many plane kills on that map.

I'm only just discovering how fun it is to play aggressive recon in this game. Nothing better than running into enemy lines, popping a flare, and then picking all those red dots off. And my god are headshots satisfying...

What's the best rifle for aggressive play? Currently using the M95 Gewehr.

I think I use the infantry Gewehr with the fire rate of 67. Not sure if it's the Gewehr 95 or 98, though. I don't know why I would pick any other sniper if they all take two shots to kill but all have a slower firing rate than this gun.

For example, I tried using the SMLE the other day and the time between shots felt like FOREVER. I'm assuming the Gewehr is the best gun for aggressive snipers.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I really wish an Infantry version of the M1903 Springfield was available in every mode. I remember trying it out in SIR some time ago and being surprised at its rate of fire, felt quite snappy for a bolt-action.

Turkoop

Banned
well, actually I am enjoying all maps except Giant's Shadow. DICE has designed the best maps in a Battlefield game, but I really love Amiens and Argonne Forest.

WillyFive

My favorites are Sinai, Empire, and Monte Grappa. Those are just fantastic maps and I love them. I don't agree with the Giant's Shadow hate, I think it's better and more fun than Argonne, Fao, Amiens, Ballroom, Suez, and Scar.

That said, Scar is the best of the lower end ones; Suez, Amiens and Argonne are boring, Fao is ugly, and I would delete Ballroom from my hard drive if if Origin would let me boot up the game without it.

Garland7G

I really wanna try this game, is the ultimate version worth it? Any sales going on? Before I was interested, it always seemed like I could find it for 39.99 (maybe due to black friday sales) but now all I see is 60.00. I don't mind paying full price if the game is worth it and no sales are going on. Thanks!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Conquest 64 (aka all I play), my favourite maps in descending order:

------------SWEET DELICIOUS FUN TIER------------
1. St. Quentin Scar
2. Ballroom Blitz
3. Amiens
4. Empire's Edge
5. Monte Grappa
6. Sinai Desert
------------TOLERATE IT TIER------------
7. Argonne Forest
8. Giant's Shadow
------------FUCK LIFE TIER------------
9. Suez
10. Fao Fortress

Conquest 64 (aka all I play), my favourite maps in descending order:

------------SWEET DELICIOUS FUN TIER------------
1. St. Quentin Scar
2. Ballroom Blitz
3. Amiens
4. Empire's Edge
5. Monte Grappa
6. Sinai Desert
------------TOLERATE IT TIER------------
7. Argonne Forest
8. Giant's Shadow
------------FUCK LIFE TIER------------
9. Suez
10. Fao Fortress

I agree mostly as a 64 conquest player. I would only change empire's edge with argonne.

My favorites are Sinai, Empire, and Monte Grappa. Those are just fantastic maps and I love them. I don't agree with the Giant's Shadow hate, I think it's better and more fun than Argonne, Fao, Amiens, Ballroom, Suez, and Scar.

That said, Scar is the best of the lower end ones; Suez, Amiens and Argonne are boring, Fao is ugly, and I would delete Ballroom from my hard drive if if Origin would let me boot up the game without it.

1099.gif

How do you kill planes? I die from a plane or tank 85% of the time and I can rarely get to tank to spawn in before someone else does. Is there any way to kill planes a side from the few anti-aircraft guns on a few maps? I try to play as assault to kill these annoying tanks but they do so little damage. Anti-tank grenades and AT-Rocket only do like 10 tank damage each with a direct hit.

Surfinn

How do you kill planes? I die from a plane or tank 85% of the time and I can rarely get to tank to spawn in before someone else does. Is there any way to kill planes a side from the few anti-aircraft guns on a few maps? I try to play as assault to kill these annoying tanks but they do so little damage. Anti-tank grenades and AT-Rocket only do like 10 tank damage each with a direct hit.

Tanks are plane killers, if you know how to aim their shells. I shoot down bombers and fighters all the time when they're attacking me, and even sometimes when they're not.

You must be throwing duds then.

Don't shoot the tanks at the front. Always aim for the sides and back.

Apart from the AA guns, I've found the MG15 n.A Suppressive to be pretty effective against the planes. Took down 2 or 3 last night on the Empire's Edge map with it. Just wait for them to get close!

Don't shoot the tanks at the front. Always aim for the sides and back.

Apart from the AA guns, I've found the MG15 n.A Suppressive to be pretty effective against the planes. Took down 2 or 3 last night on the Empire's Edge map with it. Just wait for them to get close!

Alright thanks I will try that. My team never shoots them down and the whole map some guy is just flying around dropping bombs on me. I cant get at tank so I was hoping for a better method.

57-12 and broke 20k score with the Gewehr Infantry rifle. Spotting flares are a godsend for aggressive recon play. This has breathed new life into the game for me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yup, I fucking hate operations. Tried a match since not playing it upon release and it's shockingly boring. "wait for the enemy to advance so you can snipe them".

Jesus. No thanks. Back to conquest it is.

huh. operations is the best mode in the game. there are times where it is going to be a blowout, but thats with every game mode. the mode even gives losing teams not one but two behemoths. if those teams still cant win one round then they suck on a whole different level and you should simply quit out of that game or just join the attacking team and try to help out.

I have been stuck on the first sector for an entire round amassing fifty kills and then as soon as we get the behemoth, the team wakes up and we end up taking all sectors and then the next map as well. the mode is great. the only thing i would improve is that the scores should carry over to the next map so if you defended against 2 battalions and lost on the very last one, you get a decent match bonus when you own them the next map.

So I just moved into an apartment and now I'm stuck with a shitty ISP and a shitty router. I can't for the life of me get an open NAT on Xbox One and therefore I literally can't connect to a single match in BF1. I've tried port-forwarding, but to no avail...

I'm itching to play. :( :( :(

Olengie

I think I got fairly competent with flying. I accidentally die sometimes when I stupidly fly the plane into the ground or I bump the plane to another plane and we spiral out of control to our deaths. LOL

Hey any Ps4 gaffers have issues with party chat last night in BF1 or any other game? Also why is it I never see anyone in the GAF community playing BF1? I'm always checking but it's always empty.

It honestly blows my fucking mind that DICE still hasn't implemented a halfway decent matchmaking/server browser system for Operations.

Seconded. I've left a ton of feedback for them on there forum thread. Everyone should use this so they can work to improve stuff. Load times, the attack plane exploit, revive bug etc.

Hey any Ps4 gaffers have issues with party chat last night in BF1 or any other game? Also why is it I never see anyone in the GAF community playing BF1? I'm always checking but it's always empty.

Seconded. I've left a ton of feedback for them on there forum thread. Everyone should use this so they can work to improve stuff. Load times, the attack plane exploit, revive bug etc.

I had that issue last night as well. However after ~15 mins, the problem went away. If I am playing, it's around ~7 pm EST to 9 or 10 pm EST.

Wait, what's the attack plane exploit?

Also, is there any reason to use bombers these days?

Mahonay

Banned
If you hop on during evening hours there are most definitely a good number of GAF players on PS4 BF1. There are other groups/friends of friends we play with outside of GAF too.

Wait, what's the attack plane exploit?

Also, is there any reason to use bombers these days?

With an attack plane it's possible to drop death down on infantry while still being out of range of any anti air installations. Watched a guy go 105-0 doing this. Don't get me wrong he's a good pilot as no other fighter plane could bring him down, but it's fish in a barrel for ground forces. Exploit for sure.

I had that issue last night as well. However after ~15 mins, the problem went away. If I am playing, it's around ~7 pm EST to 9 or 10 pm EST.

If you hop on during evening hours there are most definitely a good number of GAF players on PS4 BF1. There are other groups/friends of friends we play with outside of GAF too.

I'll just have to check more often. I work odd hours so evening play isn't always an option for me. I'll keep a look out for you guys in a match.

With an attack plane it's possible to drop death down on infantry while still being out of range of any anti air installations. Watched a guy go 105-0 doing this. Don't get me wrong he's a good pilot as no other fighter plane could bring him down, but it's fish in a barrel for ground forces. Exploit for sure.

I'll just have to check more often. I work odd hours so evening play isn't always an option for me. I'll keep a look out for you guys in a match.
Lucky I didn't run into him. I would've hunted his ass in my fighter plane.

Bollocks

Is the spotting supposed to be this janky?
Like I see units moving across the screen, hit the spot button, follow them with the cursor and nothing happens while I internally scream that there are enemies.

Other times it only takes 1x to spot.
I hate how inconsistent it is.

No Love

Banned
Like I see units moving across the screen, hit the spot button, follow them with the cursor and nothing happens while I internally scream that there are enemies.

I believe it's based on the distance from you to the target. I can't spot guys that are far away but seems to always work when they're closer.

Lulu23

There is a cooldown for how often you can spot in succession. It's there to keep you from just spamming the spot button to highlight enemies you haven't even seen yet.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
^ I cant for the life of me fly planes in BF games. It makes no sense to aim and turn using the same freaking analog stick. whats wrong with offering the same control scheme as the Battlefront games? those are perfect and simple controls.

Last night i decided to play some operations on the desert maps again after nearly rage quitting the game a couple of weeks ago on Sinai desert. this time though I played it a bit more conservatively after dying like 5 times to start the round in Sinai desert. Ended with 43 kills and only 9 deaths. had two amazing flanks on C at the very last sector, and caught the entire sniper line offguard multiple times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JbhLzGyqkE

Here is a couple of those flanks. One from B and other from A. It helped that my squad was full of snipers marking everyone but i was pretty much taking on the entire team on and capturing C by myself. crazy stuff.

Top Bottom